PDA

View Full Version : Championship podium

Mark
3rd November 2008, 13:39
Does anyone else think it's crazy that the race winners go onto the podium but the world champion has to be interviewed in a press scrum while walking back to the garage with reporters being pushed aside by over zealous aides?

Why not have a top 3 in the championship podium ceremony after the race podium?

ArrowsFA1
3rd November 2008, 13:45
Many years ago IIRC the new 1982 champion Keke Rosberg appeared on the Las Vegas GP podium. He'd finished fifth in the race, but in doing so had clinched the title.

seppefan
3rd November 2008, 13:45
I prefer it how it is. We saw more about the Hamiltons in the scrum than the pc speak we get at a press conference.

Mark
3rd November 2008, 13:55
My memory is vague but isn't it the first time since 1994 the champion has not been on the podium?

keysersoze
3rd November 2008, 14:20
If we like to see the podium finishers elated, it was the worst possible combination:

Massa: lost the championship on the last lap
Alonso: a McLaren driver wins the championship
Kimi: resigned to cruising around rather than attacking (he looked completely disinterested)

wedge
3rd November 2008, 14:40
My memory is vague but isn't it the first time since 1994 the champion has not been on the podium?

That year, Schumacher sitting by the side with a mic in his hand looked rather awkward.

The FIA with all their protocols and razzmatazz can't make a WDC look dignified infront of the world's press.

Seppefan made an interesting point but it all seemed like an anti-climax. It felt like roaming around the paddock/scrutineering bay like any other Sunday afternoon on any other race track.

V12
3rd November 2008, 15:55
I'm pretty sure Schumacher was on the podium in 1994, or at least in the press conference with Mansell, Berger and Brundle.

My memory is a bit vague too though!

Mark
3rd November 2008, 17:34
Yes you are right. As I remember he was in the press conference.

truefan72
3rd November 2008, 18:00
it was shameful from the FIA to not have some sort of organized event/ press conference, cerimony for Hamilton. speaks volumes about their feelings towards McLaren and LH.

A historic moment tarnished by biased bureacracy.
I've never seen an F1 champ treated with such indifferenc after the end of a dramitc race/season.

But I'll take it as Hamilton won inspite of their meddling. The classiest person yesterday was Massa, who at least had the dignity and class to congratulate Hamilton. Speaks volumes about him and has just made me like him even more.

keysersoze
3rd November 2008, 19:26
truefan, Massa was brilliant with Windsor in the interview room--a true class act.

jso1985
3rd November 2008, 21:03

in 2003 and 2004 Schumacher also finished outside the podium on the final race

woody2goody
3rd November 2008, 21:43
it was shameful from the FIA to not have some sort of organized event/ press conference, cerimony for Hamilton. speaks volumes about their feelings towards McLaren and LH.

A historic moment tarnished by biased bureacracy.
I've never seen an F1 champ treated with such indifferenc after the end of a dramitc race/season.

But I'll take it as Hamilton won inspite of their meddling. The classiest person yesterday was Massa, who at least had the dignity and class to congratulate Hamilton. Speaks volumes about him and has just made me like him even more.

I agree. I didn't like the voiciferous booing of the Sao Paulo crowd directed towards Hamilton when he got out of the car.

Massa was awesome all weekend in every way, and if he had won the World Championship it would have been fully deserved.

I really did feel sorry for him this time, but for all the right reasons.

Daniel
3rd November 2008, 22:17
Boohoo. The podium is for the top three. Lewis will get his trophy handed to him soon enough in his own ceremony.

ShiftingGears
4th November 2008, 02:20

Please.

There's no rule for it, so they didn't do it! Horrible bias, I know.

Valve Bounce
4th November 2008, 02:39
Does anyone else think it's crazy that the race winners go onto the podium but the world champion has to be interviewed in a press scrum while walking back to the garage with reporters being pushed aside by over zealous aides?

Why not have a top 3 in the championship podium ceremony after the race podium?

This race was about Felipe, and the day was his. Why rain on his parade? I suppose this is as good as any other explanation I can offer.

Nancy YU
4th November 2008, 03:16
FELIPE did a good job,he deserve this podium,as valve said,the day was his~

Tazio
4th November 2008, 03:32
If we like to see the podium finishers elated, it was the worst possible combination:

Alonso: a McLaren driver wins the championship

What a silly comment.
He just beat the pants off both McLarens.
He looked plenty happy to me.
But I was watching in High Def.
Not silver tinted glasses! :down:

Storm
4th November 2008, 06:24
in 2003 and 2004 Schumacher also finished outside the podium on the final race

He came 8th and clinched the title in 2003 IIRC in Suzuka.
but now that its Hamilton...well we need him on the podium?

Yes champs should be invited to the press conference or perhaps have a separate press/tv meet after the race but if you did not finish in the top 3, you should not be on the podium...simple really!

Sarah
4th November 2008, 11:53
It was like a rugby scrum people being pushed everywhere surely they could do something more organised for the champion.

Valve Bounce
4th November 2008, 12:01
It was like a rugby scrum people being pushed everywhere surely they could do something more organised for the champion.

Well yeah!! they could organise a centre square bounce, like in Aussi Rules.

MAX_THRUST
4th November 2008, 12:07
Agreed Podium required for championship top three

MAX_THRUST
4th November 2008, 12:10
Hey daniel at least Lewis won it, Podium or not he is the rightfull champion. Poor you, its posters on this forum like you that made the race so much more enjoyable knowing you would be posting rubbish on here for months to come. Why don't you accept it like we did when Kimi won last year and he desereved it to as does Lewis this year. Grow up.

Daniel
4th November 2008, 12:12
Where did I say I don't accept it? I never said he didn't deserve it either. And you've been reported for a personal attack.

truefan72
4th November 2008, 23:34
it really isn;t about bias, but more of an immense deflating of the moment. If Massa had won, would they simply do the typical post race celebration and the press conference. It just would have been nice to see more done to commemorate the moment that's all. It's all good anyway :)

jso1985
5th November 2008, 03:08
they have the Monaco gala to commemorate the championship winner

Daniel
5th November 2008, 09:29
Exactly jso. The champion has his trophy presented at Monaco doesn't he?

I don't see the problem. The podium is for the top 3 in the race. Generally the champion is in the top 3 so it's a non-issue. Putting my Daily Crackpot specs on this is obvious evidence that the FIA are obviously biased against young black British people. This post of thing is just ridiculous. It's Lewis' flipping title and I bet he really couldn't care less, he's won the title regardless of whether he's on the podium or not.

Yet another thread brought up and pumped up by "OMFG Max and the FIA are biased against McLaren, Lewis Hamilton, black people, cute puppy dogs and get that pedo away from my kids" productions

Knock-on
5th November 2008, 10:55
The podium is for the top 3 in the race but I see no problem with them presenting the WDC and WCC at the podium ceremony.

It makes sense that after the last race, the winning team and driver are presented to the fans.

Mark
5th November 2008, 11:19
It makes sense that after the last race, the winning team and driver are presented to the fans.

Quite. An invitation only event in Monaco is hardly the same as having the winning drivers and constructors on the podium, so everyone in the grandstands and on television can see.

It could be a tradition at the end of the final race of the season that the championship trophy is presented to the winning driver and constructor so everyone can see.

After all they have been racing all year for the championship, can't we get some sort of payoff at the end?!

yodasarmpit
6th November 2008, 21:15
Exactly jso. The champion has his trophy presented at Monaco doesn't he?

I don't see the problem. The podium is for the top 3 in the race. Generally the champion is in the top 3 so it's a non-issue. Putting my Daily Crackpot specs on this is obvious evidence that the FIA are obviously biased against young black British people. This post of thing is just ridiculous. It's Lewis' flipping title and I bet he really couldn't care less, he's won the title regardless of whether he's on the podium or not.

Yet another thread brought up and pumped up by "OMFG Max and the FIA are biased against McLaren, Lewis Hamilton, black people, cute puppy dogs and get that pedo away from my kids" productions
Did you even read this thread? Only one person mentioned any kind of bias.

Daniel
6th November 2008, 22:38
Yeah and?

ShiftingGears
8th November 2008, 07:30

Yeah, sounds like a good idea to me.

wmcot
8th November 2008, 07:36

Funny how everyone wants a WDC podium now that there is a British Champion! It never bothered you before...

Valve Bounce
8th November 2008, 08:43
Funny how everyone wants a WDC podium now that there is a British Champion! It never bothered you before...

I think otherwise. I think that there should be a separate celebration for whoever wins the championship. I think the celebration at Monaco is great, and if they can have a night to rival our Brownlow celebration with a red carpet evening for the drivers and their girlfriends/wives, then it would be wonderful. I really don't care if the champion is a Pom, or Spaniard or Vettel who is German - it would be just as wonderful.