PDA

View Full Version : goodbye 2008 Aero F1 cars

harvick#1
2nd November 2008, 19:39
I know many people don't like them, but I absolutely loved the look of the cars. and the end of the grooved tires, next year is gonna look strange

ShiftingGears
3rd November 2008, 04:37
Gave a year of mostly excellent races. We'll be lucky if the 2009 season is as exciting as this year.

philipbain
3rd November 2008, 09:13
To be quite frank a moritorium on the aero flipups, bargeboards, turning vanes, flow conditioners etc. is needed, the cars this season have started to look a tad silly. Talking of a tad silly though the 2009 cars with thier narrow yet high rear wings and lower and wider front wings will take some getting used to, but hopefully they will work in making overtaking a reality once again in F1.

Dzeidzei
3rd November 2008, 11:00
I know many people don't like them, but I absolutely loved the look of the cars. and the end of the grooved tires, next year is gonna look strange

2008 produced by far the ugliest cars in the history of F1. Honda winning this contest easily.

2009 will look strange cause the cars actually can look good again.

wedge
3rd November 2008, 12:01

In some ways they're a work of art, a fine piece of sculpture.

From a spectators POV the new cars will be great for racing - supposedly.

From a technical POV not much to work with considering huge gains have come from aero.

Perhaps a sign F1 has reached the pinnacle and, engines excluded, revert to stock F1 cars?????

V12
3rd November 2008, 12:29
It's no coincidence, IMHO, that the ugly aero bits started to multiply more quickly once the engine freeze was implemented. Teams poured their resources into windtunnel and CFD programs instead.

I actually believe that if the technical regs were opened out, designers would not have to spend millions ekeing a bit of extra performance with an ugly looking mini aero device, and we could get further back towards clean, good looking racing cars.

wedge
3rd November 2008, 12:54
It's no coincidence, IMHO, that the ugly aero bits started to multiply more quickly once the engine freeze was implemented. Teams poured their resources into windtunnel and CFD programs instead.

I actually believe that if the technical regs were opened out, designers would not have to spend millions ekeing a bit of extra performance with an ugly looking mini aero device, and we could get further back towards clean, good looking racing cars.

I highly doubt it.

Most teams have their own wind tunnels and now running 24/7.

The advances in computer technology and CFD and the engine freeze seems to be a coincidence, in the same way the six wheeled Tyrell came about just as when there was an advancement in radial tyre technology.

The mid 90s the F1 cars were supposedly clean but you had the ugly mid wings and X wings which then became banned. Teams will look for any advantage they can get.

If its aero then so be it.