PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Mr Kubica...

Jefe Máximo
2nd November 2008, 19:33
..for giving us the most climactic-anti-climactic last lap of a title deciding last race , (at least) I have ever witnessed.

Just what were you thinking? :p :

Tazio
3rd November 2008, 05:14
What the hell was that? :rolleyes:
Could you imagine if it was Fred instead of the Kube? :eek:

Ranger
3rd November 2008, 05:19
Kubica drove slow and stupid today. :down:
Unlapping himself in a precarious location in the midst of a WDC fight warranted at least an explanation to the stewards.

The man that made the last lap was Timo Glock.

Storm
3rd November 2008, 06:18
Kubica's driving = hilarious
He did make Felipe (and a billion others) think he had won the title though.

and this guy is supposed to be WDC material?

Jefe, welcome back!

janneppi
3rd November 2008, 06:19
Imagine the uproar from the Ferrari crowd had he taken Vettel out. :D
Imagine the uproar from the McLaren crowd had he taken Hamilton out. :D

F1boat
3rd November 2008, 06:29
Kubica drove slow and stupid today. :down:
Unlapping himself in a precarious location in the midst of a WDC fight warranted at least an explanation to the stewards.

The man that made the last lap was Timo Glock.

He unlap himself just like Lewis in Japan. :)
Now RK is 4th in the final standings, I think?

janneppi
3rd November 2008, 06:36
Not exactly, Hamilton unlapped a race leader, Kubica was still a lap down to Massa

Now RK is 4th in the final standings, I think?

Kimi had more wins, so yes.

Ranger
3rd November 2008, 07:12

Circumstances were completely different.

In Japan:
1. It was not raining
2. There was no traffic around Alonso
3. Hamilton was actually unlapping himself
4. The track was as wide as a runway
5. Hamilton's actions didn't affect the outcome of the race

In Brazil:
1. It was raining heavily
2. There was a direct fight for position and the WDC
3. Kubica was 40+ seconds behind Massa who he needed to pass to unlap himself (with 1 lap remaining) :\ The last points position was another 5 second up the road.
4. The track is narrow.
5. Kubica's actions profoundly affected the outcome of the race and nearly the title with it.

Certainly warrants at least a reprimand IMO.

Now RK is 4th in the final standings, I think?Yes he is, by virtue that Kimi has more wins.

philipbain
3rd November 2008, 08:48
Heres the scene, the Brazilian GP, two laps to go at the end of this one, rain falling, Lewis Hamilton is trying to hold back Seb Vettel and Bobby Kubica is running with them but a lap down. For some reason after ruining his own race before it started by taking the mad decision to start on dry tyres on a soaking wet track (at least in the most part anyway) and finding himself a lap down he decides that the best course of action will be to unlap himself from the guys fighting in 5th & 6th places with no hope of ever catching the 1st placed man and hence unlapping himself. It smacks of intrerference from a man who has been outspoken on Hamilton's driving in recent times, his unlapping himself being a major contributing factor in Vettel passing Hamilton and almost handing Massa the championship. I am amazed that Kubica wasnt hauled infront of the stewards for this, had the rain not started to fall heavier on the last lap and crucially taking Glock's dry tyres out of thier operating window (by the way, a Glock conspiracy is complete nonsense perpetrated by people who have zero knowledge of how tempretire senstive the Bridgestone grooves truely are!) then he would have lost Hamilton a title he richly deserved.

Mark
3rd November 2008, 08:56
If a lapped driver is faster than the car in front he is perfectly entitled to unlap himself if he so wishes.

I stand to be corrected here but a lapped driver is no different to any other driver fighting for position. The problem they have is if they do get by if they are not immediately faster they'll have to give way due to the blue flags.

Valve Bounce
3rd November 2008, 08:58
I think the rational behind a driver unlapping himself before the end of a race was discussed ad infinitum when Lewis Hamilton did just that. It was raining and getting heavier and who knows how the last lap would have unfolded? I did take note of the move and Robert did not hinder either driver. Vettel passed Hamilton because he was faster, and you can read all about it on Autosport's website. There was no way Hamilton could have held Vettel back, and, as McLaren themselves acknowledged, they were fighting Glock. Yes!! it's all on the various interviews reported on Autosport.

So let's not start a silly thread with a silly post, OK!!

V12
3rd November 2008, 09:03
I must be missing something bleeding obvious and I appear to be firmly in a minority of one around here...but what exactly did Kubica do wrong?

He was a good few seconds a lap quicker than Vettel and Hamilton, and so unlapped himself, without any bonehead moves that threatened to take either of them out. What was the alternative, sit on their tail at a few seconds below his natural pace - and probably be MORE likely to cause an accident?

Yes it disturbed the flow of both drivers and allowed Vettel to make an opportunistic move for position, the last time I checked that was called motor racing.

woody2goody
3rd November 2008, 09:21
I must be missing something bleeding obvious and I appear to be firmly in a minority of one around here...but what exactly did Kubica do wrong?

He was a good few seconds a lap quicker than Vettel and Hamilton, and so unlapped himself, without any bonehead moves that threatened to take either of them out. What was the alternative, sit on their tail at a few seconds below his natural pace - and probably be MORE likely to cause an accident?

Yes it disturbed the flow of both drivers and allowed Vettel to make an opportunistic move for position, the last time I checked that was called motor racing.

Very good post. It was much better for everyone that Robert went past, anyway, what's he supposed to do, he was gaining 5-plus seconds per lap. Everyone needs to race hard until the finish in my opinion.

markabilly
3rd November 2008, 09:37
I think the rational behind a driver unlapping himself before the end of a race was discussed ad infinitum when Lewis Hamilton did just that. It was raining and getting heavier and who knows how the last lap would have unfolded? I did take note of the move and Robert did not hinder either driver. Vettel passed Hamilton because he was faster, and you can read all about it on Autosport's website. There was no way Hamilton could have held Vettel back, and, as McLaren themselves acknowledged, they were fighting Glock. Yes!! it's all on the various interviews reported on Autosport.

That is what the Mac CEO tried to claim later--read Hamilton's comments right after the race. THEY were racing VETTEL, not Glock. LH makes that clear.

Indeed, from the pointo of view, who did what they had to do in this race....FM won and LH had to keep fifth place, but he did not because of SV.

It was mano mano between SV and LH with a WDC in the balance for the winner in the last ten laps----SV took him and owned him. :eek:

If Glock had not decided to give it all up on the last corner, then LH would not be WDC.

My vote for driver of the year......Vettel.

EVEN in a lucky Victory, Mac's very own CEO has to lie....

longisland
3rd November 2008, 11:11
If a lapped driver is faster than the car in front he is perfectly entitled to unlap himself if he so wishes.

I stand to be corrected here but a lapped driver is no different to any other driver fighting for position. The problem they have is if they do get by if they are not immediately faster they'll have to give way due to the blue flags.

That's exactly what Eddie Ervine thought until Senna gave him a good smack.

longisland
3rd November 2008, 11:43
That is what the Mac CEO tried to claim later--read Hamilton's comments right after the race. THEY were racing VETTEL, not Glock. LH makes that clear.

Indeed, from the pointo of view, who did what they had to do in this race....FM won and LH had to keep fifth place, but he did not because of SV.

It was mano mano between SV and LH with a WDC in the balance for the winner in the last ten laps----SV took him and owned him. :eek:

If Glock had not decided to give it all up on the last corner, then LH would not be WDC.

My vote for driver of the year......Vettel.

EVEN in a lucky Victory, Mac's very own CEO has to lie....

Ron & Mclaren should seriously consider signing Vettel before Ferrari snatches him. Vettel's performance is utterly stunning considering he's driving a Team B Redbull powered by a much heavier Ferrari customer engine. I'm pretty sure Vettel will have no problem if the team fueled his tank heavy.

Valve Bounce
3rd November 2008, 11:47
Imagine the uproar from the Ferrari crowd had he taken Vettel out. :D
Imagine the uproar from the McLaren crowd had he taken Hamilton out. :D

Imagine the uproar if he had taken Britney Spears out!

seppefan
3rd November 2008, 13:40

Exactly and also it would have made him grin as it would have upset Lewis who Robert is not too fond of. Called motor racing BUT all this pathetic interferance that people now want, rulings on everything is care of the FIA ruling on everything ( if a Mclaren or Ferrari are involved usually ) . It is the modern, precious world.

AndyL
3rd November 2008, 13:43
Ron & Mclaren should seriously consider signing Vettel before Ferrari snatches him. Vettel's performance is utterly stunning considering he's driving a Team B Redbull powered by a much heavier Ferrari customer engine. I'm pretty sure Vettel will have no problem if the team fueled his tank heavy.

:up: Never mind considering it, Ron should be camping on Seb's doorstep with a bunch of flowers and a box of chocolates right now. :)

Bradley
3rd November 2008, 18:18
Well done Kubica :s mokin:

truefan72
3rd November 2008, 18:51

with near if not identical engines to the Ferrari team, that STR was an A-team for the latter half of the year. The car was fast and proves that with a great engine and the power behind it, STR can compete for race wins and podiums. Watch out for Frorce India next year with Mercedes power and probably much better engines. Yopu'll see them duking it out in a solid midpack.

Vettel is a talent for sure, but he was driving a really good car in the last 8 races. hence his remarkable improvement. In a strange way, I think it was more of a Ferrari wooing of Vettel that was going on. Giving him a taste of things at Ferrari. And like a few others, I think he'll be driving for them in then in 2010 or 2011.

yodasarmpit
3rd November 2008, 18:51
Kubica was faster than those in front and had every right to attempt a pass.

He is racing for BMW and himself not McLaren or Ferrari.

donKey jote
3rd November 2008, 19:43
..for giving us the most climactic-anti-climactic last lap of a title deciding last race , (at least) I have ever witnessed.

Thanks Mr. Kubica for bringing chief tonto out of hiding :p
:wave:

Great showing from both BMW and their drivers :dozey:

Still, thanks Mr. Heidfeld too for losing P5 in the WDC to Alonso :D

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

jso1985
3rd November 2008, 20:40
Kubica was faster than those in front and had every right to attempt a pass.

He is racing for BMW and himself not McLaren or Ferrari.

:up: :up:

jens
3rd November 2008, 22:40
What on earth was going on with Kubica as he was trailing behind Sutil for the whole first half of the race?! A bit shame that he lost P3 in the WDC though as it would have been nice to witness 3 different teams in WDC's Top3.

Valve Bounce
4th November 2008, 00:17
What on earth was going on with Kubica as he was trailing behind Sutil for the whole first half of the race?! A bit shame that he lost P3 in the WDC though as it would have been nice to witness 3 different teams in WDC's Top3.

I suspect Kube Man will make up for it next year. I reckon both he and Vettel are the stand out drivers this year.

Knock-on
4th November 2008, 12:38
Can't see anything wrong with what he done.

if lewis was so slow that a lapped driver could get past him, then what's the problem.

If Lewis doesn't want to be unlapped, then speed up.

Simple.

Jefe Máximo
9th November 2008, 17:50

Ok, lady.

I've hardly castigated Kubica, have I. In fact if anything I was quite happy to see him do what he did.

So let's not have silly retorts to harmless comments, OK!!!!

BeansBeansBeans
9th November 2008, 18:03
Can't see anything wrong with what he done.

Are you Mark Blundell in disguise? :p

Robert Kubica was simply doing the best for himself and BMW, which is exactly how it should be. So was Timo Glock, as it happens.