PDA

View Full Version : Fair Play Felipe

MrJan
2nd November 2008, 19:22
I don't particularly like him as a driver, nor think that he is true WDC material but he acted like a true gent at the end of the race, something which I'm not so sure Hamilton would have done. Now I'm a Lewis fan through and through but hats off to Massa for being a proper sportsman :up:

Bradley
2nd November 2008, 19:39
:up:

Massa is a great sportsman.

gravity
2nd November 2008, 19:40
I was impressed with Massa's comments in the first half of the interview. When it got to his second round of comments, I felt that I heard most of it in the first round? Also, something that I found odd was the lack of interest shown in his comments by the fellows sitting on both sides of him. Massa was the only one being interviewed who was not a F1 champ :P

I felt sad for Massa and his supporters for losing out by 1 point. His gentleman behaviour and congratulations towards Lewis for winning the championship has won him many new fans.

Congrats to Ferrari for the WCC!

truefan72
3rd November 2008, 04:24
he was a class act today.

Neither Kimi nor Alonso bothered to congratulate Hamilton
Also classless were the organizers of the post race activities who didn't even bother to bring in LH for an interview or some sort of live feed to presentation of the WCC. Instead it was all about the top 3 as if the race was just a perfunctory event. So shame on the FIA for mismanaging the most thrilling and climactic championship and post race events.

I couldn't believe it when Speed Vision signed off, I was waiting to hear from LH, to see some sort of recognition of the WCC and WDC titles but got nothing.

ShiftingGears
3rd November 2008, 04:51

They did in the press conference, and apparently Alonso congratulated Hamilton in the McLaren garage.

Massa was all class today. He really has improved so much since moving to Ferrari.

F1 has a really talented field right now :up: .

Tazio
3rd November 2008, 05:11

Also classless were the organizers of the post race activities who didn't even bother to bring in LH for an interview or some sort of live feed to presentation of the WCC. Instead it was all about the top 3 as if the race was just a perfunctory event. So shame on the FIA for mismanaging the most thrilling and climactic championship and post race events.

I thought Fred was very animated in the press conference.
He had this impish grin on his face throughout its entirety! Fred's a class act. He did congratulate Lewis, and McLaren. It seems like just yesterday there were people posting how HK was a better driver, and that Fred would be outscored by Junior.
Don't make me repost the Anti-Alonso garbage that was cluttering this forum after the first few races ;)

I couldn't believe it when Speed Vision signed off, I was waiting to hear from LH, to see some sort of recognition of the WCC and WDC titles but got nothing. Deal with it! :)

christophulus
3rd November 2008, 07:27
Congratulations Massa, gracious in defeat. You can only imagine what he's feeling, a faultless race but still not good enough to win the title. I'd like to see him challenging again next year :up:

wmcot
3rd November 2008, 07:32

I couldn't believe it when Speed Vision signed off, I was waiting to hear from LH, to see some sort of recognition of the WCC and WDC titles but got nothing.

I'm pretty sure that's normal. I can't remember if it was a year when FA or MS won the WDC but didn't finish on the podium, they didn't interview the WDC then either. Isn't there a banquet where the WDC is officially rewarded later in the year? I think that's the normal protocol (and maybe an FIA rule, too.)

aryan
3rd November 2008, 07:49
62 podiums.

13 GP wins.

'nuff said.

Good bye DC, and best of luck in your future

aryan
3rd November 2008, 07:54
His gentleman behaviour and congratulations towards Lewis for winning the championship has won him many new fans.

They have indeed :up:

Valve Bounce
3rd November 2008, 07:58
Felipe won the race, he was told that He was champion by a celebrating Ferrari pit as Lewis Hamilton was in 6th place. Then the celebrating stopped after Lewis passed the helpless Glock on dry tyres, (as did other cars), and suddenly Felipe was hurled into the bottom of a dark pit.

There has never been a more cruel decider of a WDC; not even Moss, not Clark and not Damien Hill's losses in the last race of a championship can compare.

Poor Felipe was gutted. How the hell he stood on the podium and maintained his dignity, I will never know, but he did.

Yes!! hats off to Felipe - he is a class act.

But he'd better make his move next year if he wants to win the WDC, because in 2010 it will be Vettel who will win it in a Ferrari, and who will dominate F1 from then on.

Don't forget, you heard it from me first!!

AndyRAC
3rd November 2008, 08:11
Well done to Felipe, I thought he conducted himself with good grace and is a true sportsmen.
To have the Title snatched away so cruelly reminded me of Margam 1998 and Sainz's Toyota blowing up - and giving Tommi the Title.

Agree with the points made about the lack of ceremony for Lewis - remember Schuey in 1994 in Adelaide being invited to the Press Conference. Considering Bernie is normally ace at such things, you'd think something would have been done. The official Prize giving is at a gala dinner in Monaco, but still.

Mark
3rd November 2008, 08:23
I really do like Massa. Unlike many of them on the grid he always seems to have a smile on his face and seems like a genuinely nice bloke.

I wanted Hamilton to be champion, but if it wasn't to be Lewis then I would have been more than happy for Massa to win it.

PolePosition_1
3rd November 2008, 08:59
So much respect for Massa, I was rooting for him, and seeing it taken away with seconds to go was desperately disheartening. Although Hamilton is a very deserving champion.

But seeing Massa reaction, you can't help but have top respect for the man, he held back the tears in front of the camera, and talked of how proud he is of the team, and done what must have been hard, congratulated Hamilton and McLaren.

He had a real team leader feel to his approach, in his and the teams failures, congratulating the team for how hard they work, and how proud of them he is, and his little signature acknowledgment of mechanics pre-race I noticed, it showed a true affection.

I just hope he will come back just as strong next year, if not stronger. He's a top man to have at the top of F1.

Mark
3rd November 2008, 09:00
I just hope he will come back just as strong next year, if not stronger. He's a top man to have at the top of F1.

And you wonder if Kimi ends up getting spanked by Massa again next year, will he retire? Especially if the rumours are true that there will only be one free Ferrari seat next year as Alonso is taking the other one.

Valve Bounce
3rd November 2008, 09:05
And you wonder if Kimi ends up getting spanked by Massa again next year, will he retire? Especially if the rumours are true that there will only be one free Ferrari seat next year as Alonso is taking the other one.

Don't be ridigilis!! It will be Vettel! and don't forget, you heard it from me first. It will be Nom de Jeu!!

PolePosition_1
3rd November 2008, 09:08

Well, Massa and Kimi are signed till the end of 2010. So even if Massa beats Kimi, I cannot really see him retiring.

Whilst I have so much respect for Massa, I think he is someone who works incredibly hard at achieving perfection, and with so many changes in line for next year, I can see him taking longer to adapt than say Kimi, who I think I can argue on good grounds is maybe a more naturally talented driver.

So I fear Massa may drop back down.

Ferrari to be fair are in a special situation, in which they have two world championship worthy drivers, who are both team players.

That said, you got to argue, the last two seasons, the team with 2 competitive drivers have lost on the drivers, presumably because the efforts have been shared between the two equally.

leopard
3rd November 2008, 09:15
Considering Vettel are bound with Redbull contract while Alonso always have a single year clause stipulated in the current contract, in near future Alonso probably would be the choice.
Perhaps both of you are right, Alonso and Vettel are strong driver...

PolePosition_1
3rd November 2008, 10:47
Considering Vettel are bound with Redbull contract while Alonso always have a single year clause stipulated in the current contract, in near future Alonso probably would be the choice.
Perhaps both of you are right, Alonso and Vettel are strong driver...

Mark Hughes has a theory that Ferrari signed Kimi on a till 2010 as a ploy to get him to back Massa this year. And with the hope that Kimi current poor form is temprorary, and to cover themselves, has a clause where Kimi contract can be broken if he fails to score so many points next year, which would leave the door open for Alonso in 2010 if Kimi does not gain form.

Valve Bounce
3rd November 2008, 11:45
Common guys! Ferrari is Italian! Use your imagination: an offer will be made that nobody can refuse. :rolleyes:

Dave B
3rd November 2008, 15:01
I can't imagine what emotions Massa must have felt in the final moments of that race, believing himself to be champion only to find out a few seconds later that you were oh so close.

His demeanor and words in the press conference showed just what a class act he is. :up:

For my money he's the most improved driver of the season, and unless Kimi gets his act together PDQ I'd say Massa will have every chance of taking the championship next year.

Buzz Lightyear
3rd November 2008, 16:04
Massa is a good guy. He was always quick, but I have actually growin to like him in 2008.

nigelred5
3rd November 2008, 17:25
I'm still gutted at the way the race ended. I can't imagine what Filipe has been going through in the last 24 hours. I just hope that he gets an honest equal footing with Kimi all year in 09. He has shown this year that he is worthy of nothing less IMHO. Bravissimo!

truefan72
3rd November 2008, 18:09
If Alonso congratulated LH in the garage then I am happyhe did. It would have been nice to see him do it at the press conferecne, but thats relly a tiny issue.

Once again, class act from Massa. and lets see what the future holds for everyone.

Can't make predictions now about Vettel. The only thing I thnik he should do is to stay at STR next year powered by decent Ferrari engines. I'm no fan of the RBR and don't see it getting dramatically better.

DonnieDarco
3rd November 2008, 19:05
Massa's come a long way since the qualifying session where every single team except his own lodged a complaint against him ;)

I like him, and I think he has done a great job for ferrari this season. I sincerely hope he does win the championship in the future.

wmcot
3rd November 2008, 22:58
Who would have predicted 4 or 5 years ago that Massa would come within a point (and 2 blown engines) of the WDC? He has come a long way and should be proud of this year!

BTW - It was Matt Bishop at the 2004 USGP who said Felipe would be driving a taxi in 2005 (I was in the audience, so I'm the link.) Good call, Bish. No wonder you're in charge of McLaren propaganda!

nigelred5
3rd November 2008, 23:29
I don't particularly like him as a driver, nor think that he is true WDC material but he acted like a true gent at the end of the race, something which I'm not so sure Hamilton would have done. Now I'm a Lewis fan through and through but hats off to Massa for being a proper sportsman :up:

Have to disagree with you on the championship material. Filipe's had to develop in slower cars, then as a clear number two at Ferrari behind Schumacher and Raikkonen, and yet statistically over the last two seasons, Filipe is better than Hamilton in poles, wins, and fastest laps, and he hasn't had the benefit of what essentially is a doting father in Ron Dennis running Mclaren 100% to his benefit. Actually, until the last three races of this year, Filipe has been clearly the number two at Ferrari. Would we be talking about Hamilton as a WDC had he had the same opportunity/challenges as Felipe? I don't take from Hamilton that he is a VERY good driver, but he has had the best equipment since he signed with McLaren at 13. At least they are getting their money's worth. I could have won the WDC being the #1 in a McLaren.

Valve Bounce
4th November 2008, 00:08
Who would have predicted 4 or 5 years ago that Massa would come within a point (and 2 blown engines) of the WDC? He has come a long way and should be proud of this year!

BTW - It was Matt Bishop at the 2004 USGP who said Felipe would be driving a taxi in 2005 (I was in the audience, so I'm the link.) Good call, Bish. No wonder you're in charge of McLaren propaganda!

Jest a thought here: has anyone any idea how many miles (or kilometres) Felipe has driven in those 4 or 5 years? It must be staggering if we compare it to the circumference of the globe. I need some young maths wizard to do a quick calc here.