PDA

View Full Version : Stadium Super Special Stages

ShiftingGears
1st November 2008, 01:22
...have no place in rallying. It's appeals to few, most of which are watching the wrong sport if these stages appeal to them.

I...don't see the spectacle in it.

gloomyDAY
1st November 2008, 02:22
...have no place in rallying. It's appeals to few, most of which are watching the wrong sport if these stages appeal to them.

I...don't see the spectacle in it.It appeals to me, especially when I want to go to sleep. :p

RS
1st November 2008, 05:40
I saw the Japan SSS on tv last night, honestly at first I thought they were showing it in slow motion, but it turns out they weren't. Zzzzzzzzzzz.

alexlake
1st November 2008, 06:47
i went to the one in wales a few years back, boring as hell, never again!

cut the b.s.
1st November 2008, 09:33
A well done super special is a great thing, the only good one I have ever been at was silverstone in 99, the atmosphere and action was brilliant, particularly when Burns and McRae went out head to head, real rallying? no, entertainment? definitely yes. I understand Langley park used to be very good too?

A bad SSS is bad for the sport, they pull in a lot of new fans, which is good to keep them out of my way on the proper stages :) but when the spectacle leaves them cold then will they ever return for more?

grugsticles
1st November 2008, 12:59
When the concept first came out iot was a great idea. It brough rallying to the people which attracted the people to make the effort to go and see the cars on the stages.

Rally Australia's Langley Park super special stage was quite good as, as the time, it was different. IMO every rally doesnt need to have a super special stage as most are a waste of time and have no effect of the rally propper.
The modern version where you have a car go do a few powersliders around a sealed surface is about a boring to watch as paint is drying. If you want to go to see a car do burnouts and power slides check your local supermarket carpark on a friday night.

There needs to a limitation on what events hold Super special stages, they MUST put car against car,and the stage must actually require some skill to do a decent time on.

I for one HATE the GB and Monte stages.

alexlake
1st November 2008, 13:03
trouble with gb is it is way too small

RS
1st November 2008, 19:57
Spectator stages such as the one they do at Rallye Deutschland or the 'stately home' stages we used to have on the RAC Rally were good. At least they were on proper roads. But the indoor roundy roundy rally cross things are just nonsense.

jonkka
1st November 2008, 22:57
I for one HATE the GB and Monte stages.

Monte SSS is by far the best, location simply doesn't get better than what Monaco harbour can offer.

Daniel
1st November 2008, 23:06
I think the Monte stage is great. The location is simply iconic and I thought it was great to watch.

RS
2nd November 2008, 05:23
Oh yeah, forgot about that one. That was great, excellent location and proper(ish) roads too.

I don't think they're running that stage next year but are televising 5 proper stages live instead.

J4MIE
2nd November 2008, 14:46
I have been to lots of superspecials in different events... Greece, GB (both at the docks and the millennium stadium), Australia.... and I have to say that I have been bored silly at all of them :( Some may say that it is bringing rallying to the people....but it just isn't rallying!!! :hmph:

Daniel
2nd November 2008, 14:55
I quite enjoyed Langley Park when I was out in the middle with a tabard. Gloucester Park wasn't too bad if only for the really long sweeping corner onto the straight where the cars seemed to slide forever :) The one at Manakau in New Zealand was also fairly good too :)

AndyRAC
2nd November 2008, 14:58
I have been to lots of superspecials in different events... Greece, GB (both at the docks and the millennium stadium), Australia.... and I have to say that I have been bored silly at all of them :( Some may say that it is bringing rallying to the people....but it just isn't rallying!!! :hmph:

No, it isn't, there must be better ways of doing this. Japan and Argentina last year had huge stadiums virtually empty - not good.
I would like to see a return of the 'Country House' type stages were possible. Far better than these NotSuperspecials.

Mirek
2nd November 2008, 15:21
I don't like super special stages at all but there are some which aren't that bad in my opinion. For example city stages or circuit stages held on proper roads needn't to be a crap. If You have tousand of people in night city streets making fantastic atmosphere , it is nice thing. Of course such stage is much harder to organize in some reasonable length (so as not to cruise around one block of houses). Some rallycross tracks also may not be boring. The ones I hate are those RoC-like, slow and narrow built on stadiums, often run on wrong tyres and setup.

atsiotras79
3rd November 2008, 08:34
We had a variety of them here in Acropolis rally in the last few years. Olympic Stadium, Military Airport and the one in the Equestrianism (I am not sure if I spell that correct - I mean the stadium that horses run around) Olympic Stadium (2007) which I think was by far the best to watch!

They say next year the SSS will be returning to the Olympic Stadium as in 2005 and 2006. Great atmosphere there, but nothing to watch!

koko0703
3rd November 2008, 11:40
As long as the super specials won't result in a reduced number of proper stages/mileages, I don't mind having super specials. I know super specials are not anywhere close to the sport of rallying but I think it'll give more public exposure without too much effort.

I don't really know much about super special since I don't pay too much attention to them, but Monte super special is pretty good.