PDA

View Full Version : DC's Car This Weekend... what's the story?

Rollo
31st October 2008, 23:22
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45163000/jpg/_45163455_coulth_getty_416.jpg

Because it's his last GP, has Red Bull decided to give him a deliberately ugly livery? What does this represent if anything?

woody2goody
1st November 2008, 00:37
I'm pretty sure it's a charity initiative, but I'm not 100% what it's for. The car doesn't look awful, but likewise not particularly distinctive either.

They should have painted the sidepods with Scottish crosses or something.

HenryM
1st November 2008, 00:44
http://www.wingsforlife.com

Ranger
1st November 2008, 01:15
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45163000/jpg/_45163455_coulth_getty_416.jpg

Because it's his last GP, has Red Bull decided to give him a deliberately ugly livery? What does this represent if anything?

"Wings for Life" charity for Spinal Cord injury research.

A poor livery but a very classy gesture.

ShiftingGears
1st November 2008, 02:35

I think it's a cool livery. Also, thats a nice shot of Interlagos and Sao Paulo. If the car was different it could've been a shot from the 1970's.

jens
1st November 2008, 12:42
The livery is fine for me, but I'm struggling to associate the message on the car with DC's last race.

Ranger
1st November 2008, 12:58
The livery is fine for me, but I'm struggling to associate the message on the car with DC's last race.

There's no real association I don't think.

It's a good idea and through sentimental value of DC's last race and the livery's cause, it was allowed to race as a different livery to the other team car, which is otherwise illegal.

Bagwan
1st November 2008, 14:15
This is the act of a class guy .
David , I'm sure , knew they would run a "thanks , David " on the car , and instead , insisted on a better use of the space .

I'm not so sure that the message in the livery would be as clear if we didn't have the announcers explaining the idea , but , good on David for this .

He might have always been a nearly man , but a gentlemanly one when it counts .

ioan
1st November 2008, 14:33
This is the act of a class guy .
David , I'm sure , knew they would run a "thanks , David " on the car , and instead , insisted on a better use of the space .

I'm not so sure that the message in the livery would be as clear if we didn't have the announcers explaining the idea , but , good on David for this .

He might have always been a nearly man , but a gentlemanly one when it counts .

Nice comment!

Tazio
1st November 2008, 14:39
Having a son with a spinal cord injury I know first hand that there is treatment, and solutions to what have been thought to be "hopeless cases" There is no doubt that in the future most spinal cord injuries will be treatable.
The problem we have now is the medical Institutions are more interested in "ocupational therapy" (teaching victims how to operate their wheelchairs, while feeding them med's that actually make recovery nearly impossible.) I plan on personally thanking him in the form of a letter to his website! :up:

truefan72
1st November 2008, 18:40
Having a son with a spinal cord injury I know first hand that there is treatment, and solutions to what have been thought to be "hopeless cases" There is no doubt that in the future most spinal cord injuries will be treatable.
The problem we have now is the medical Institutions are more interested in "ocupational therapy" (teaching victims how to operate their wheelchairs, while feeding them med's that actually make recovery nearly impossible.) I plan on personally thanking him in the form of a letter to his website! :up:

very well said and all the best to your son

woody2goody
2nd November 2008, 00:24
very well said and all the best to your son

Same from me too mate :)

I hope DC can find some way of getting a point. I know it's a tall order but you never know if he can pull out some magic.

Valve Bounce
2nd November 2008, 02:58
There's no real association I don't think.

It's a good idea and through sentimental value of DC's last race and the livery's cause, it was allowed to race as a different livery to the other team car, which is otherwise illegal.

Not correct. If you guys had checked out the link more carefully, there is another link within which tells the story: http://www.wingsforlife.com/news_detail.php?id=118

It says, in part "He has decided to dedicate his last race to an important charity, Wings for Life, a nonprofit foundation which is devoted to finding a cure for spinal cord injuries.". However, this article is worth reading.

Very classy gesture, for sure.

Valve Bounce
2nd November 2008, 03:01
Same from me too mate :)

I hope DC can find some way of getting a point. I know it's a tall order but you never know if he can pull out some magic.

Well, he could collide with Lewis - now THAT will get Wings for Life even more publicity as Martin and James Allen rabbit on and on, while the Poms cry as the replay will be shown a zillion times. :p :