PDA

View Full Version : How Far Has Renault Really Come?

Tazio
29th October 2008, 06:54
"Fernando's results over the past five races have been outstanding, including another strong drive in China. He seems to be enjoying the R28...
Yes, if the season had started in Belgium we would be leading both championships! It's not just Fernando who is enjoying driving the R28 because Nelson is as well. I've often talked in the past about how important it is to give a novice driver a car he can trust and feel confident in, but if you give that sort of car to a driver as good as Fernando, then he can really push it to the limits. I think that's what we're seeing now because we've got a car that is inherently very stable; it's very honest and predictable and both drivers are exploiting it very well."

http://f1.automoto365.com/news/controller.php?lang=en&theme=default&month=10&year=2008&nextMode=GpNewsForm&news_id=33618

It seems amazing to me!
Has Renault really (and legitimately) improved it's car that much?
I like to give a lot of credit to Fred, but my motivation is not all together unbias. The same can be said for his detractors motivations.

What are your opinions on the reasons for Renault's improvement?
Is it just a matter of getting it so wrong on the off-season that improvement is overblown?
I am really puzzled!
It is nothing short of amazing to me!

F1boat
29th October 2008, 07:03
They have found something, obviously. Probably it is on the verge of being illegal, but I think that it is an innovative technology, rather than cheating. I'd like to say that this is not unprecedented. In 2003 "Williams-BMW" were extremely slow at the start of the season, but at the Monaco GP they suddenly become very competitive.

Knock-on
29th October 2008, 11:16
Renault moan about engine development
Max says they will be allowed to catch up at end of the year
Renault suddenly become very competitive.

Hmmmm, do you think the FIA gave them a little "Artistic" licence ;)

Dave B
29th October 2008, 11:32
Nah, Alonso must be responsible for at least 0.6 seconds of their development. :p

PolePosition_1
29th October 2008, 11:39
The car has undoubtably improved a lot.

I guess you could argue that the other teams have concentrated on next year, therefore it has been made slightly easier to catch up. However we all know McLaren are still pushing ahead, and they have closed to them. And you'd have to assume that Toyota and other midfield teams have also been pushing for the 4th constructors place. Which would suggest that their improvement is a "real" improvement.

Whats interesting is that if the engine is down on power as much as they reckon, that chasis would have to be one of the best ones on the grid. And if they can continue to work like this, you'd have to say they're looking good with regards to next year, if we take into account the permitted changes to engines.

wedge
29th October 2008, 11:42
It seems amazing to me!
Has Renault really (and legitimately) improved it's car that much?
I like to give a lot of credit to Fred, but my motivation is not all together unbias. The same can be said for his detractors motivations.

What are your opinions on the reasons for Renault's improvement?
Is it just a matter of getting it so wrong on the off-season that improvement is overblown?
I am really puzzled!
It is nothing short of amazing to me!

Great job by the Renault boys all round not just Alonso's efforts who seems to be getting the credit, in your eyes, which is completely wrong. He's been an inspiration to the whole team, to push forward.

Renault have continually made updates without apparently making compromises to the 2009 programme. They may have complained about being down on power but they've clawed some of it back.

It seems to be the case of forgive and forget and Renault are working hard to keep him at Renault.

Knock-on
29th October 2008, 11:46
If they're significantly down on power, then I'll do a jig ;)

However, if you listen to Renault, it's all down to a new nose :laugh:

wedge
29th October 2008, 11:47
Whats interesting is that if the engine is down on power as much as they reckon, that chasis would have to be one of the best ones on the grid.

I'd say it's now even better than BMW - looks like it really needs to hit the sweet spot with set up.

PolePosition_1
29th October 2008, 12:06
Yes, I'm wary of the fact they say they're down on power. In a straight race down the back straight with Alonso and one of the Ferraris (or maybe McLaren I forgotten), it matched it, which makes you wonder.

Knock-on
29th October 2008, 12:20
Yes, I'm wary of the fact they say they're down on power. In a straight race down the back straight with Alonso and one of the Ferraris (or maybe McLaren I forgotten), it matched it, which makes you wonder.

No Pole, it's all down to the new nose.

Now, click your heels 3 times and off we go :)

Dave B
29th October 2008, 12:47
Do Red Bull receive the latest spec engines as soon as they're available? That would make for an interesting comparison if so.

V12
29th October 2008, 13:49
The fact that all this is even making discussion is another indicator of what a stupid idea the engine freeze was in the first place.

jens
29th October 2008, 15:49
I have heard that Renault has found 10 extra HP's recently and with this factor their significant rise in terms of competitiveness is no surprise. They have moaned about the engine freeze, but it seems finally they have decided to try to start upgrading the engine too in order to catch rivals. Strangely Red Bull's competitiveness hasn't risen recently, so I'm wondering whether they are still getting the old-spec engines?

Tazio
29th October 2008, 16:01
I have heard that Renault has found 10 extra HP's recently

"Link Please"! :p :

jens
29th October 2008, 16:34
"Link Please"! :p :

I happened to read it on another forum, but they didn't provide a link there. :(

blakebeatty
30th October 2008, 14:23
as per f1 technical, renault are using exaust gasses to aid in tyre temperature maintenance.

http://www.f1technical.net/development/206

Also, regarding this development,

"When the air hits the front or rear tyres, most of the flow separates and goes around the side of the tyres. However, looking at the right side of the car, the air from about the two o'clock position gets accelerated over the top of the tyre, inducing lift on the wheel assembly. This duct will introduce some high velocity airflow into this area, reducing the potential for lift. Quantifying this sort of development has only really come about thanks to CFD knowledge. The duct will also reduce the negative effect the turbulent airflow has on the outer extermities of the under-surface of the rear wing main plane"

ioan
30th October 2008, 16:51
as per f1 technical, renault are using exaust gasses to aid in tyre temperature maintenance.

"When the air hits the front or rear tyres, most of the flow separates and goes around the side of the tyres. However, looking at the right side of the car, the air from about the two o'clock position gets accelerated over the top of the tyre, inducing lift on the wheel assembly. This duct will introduce some high velocity airflow into this area, reducing the potential for lift. Quantifying this sort of development has only really come about thanks to CFD knowledge. The duct will also reduce the negative effect the turbulent airflow has on the outer extermities of the under-surface of the rear wing main plane"

Very clever! :up:
Now, this is why I watch F1, innovation!

V12
30th October 2008, 23:13
Very clever! :up:
Now, this is why I watch F1, innovation!

Yeah, sure as hell makes more interesting reading than an FIA tender document or a rant from Max Mosley :up:

Sleeper
31st October 2008, 17:39
I think people are barking up the wrong tree here. Renault developed a new front wing for Singapure which may only have given it a slight increase in downforce, did affect the rest of the car in a way to make it far easier to drive on the limit. This has meant Alonso can push it so much harder that the results have been stunning.

nigelred5
1st November 2008, 22:33

I heard several comments about this during the last race. What ever it is, Fred has been flying at last and it sounds as thoug hit has been enough to keep him at Renault where I feel he has belonged all along.