PDA

View Full Version : Is the ship sinking ?

Bagwan
27th October 2008, 17:29
http://www.homeofsport.com/f1/news/item.aspx?id=23394

No more Toy cars in F1 ?

Has this one engine suggestion just given the licence to leave with dignity intact ?

gloomyDAY
27th October 2008, 19:42
Good. I hope they come over to ALMS and kick some ass too!

Hell the budget to run a successful Le Mans program is probably a fraction of the cost of running an F1 program (anyone know?). I just hope that other teams are enticed by the rules, heavy innovation, and hard racing accompanied with Le Mans.

ioan
27th October 2008, 21:46
Let's see, the old Concorde Agreement ran out last season, and there is still no new Agreement in place.

I guess they are all free to leave F1 and join the Le Mans LMP1 or LMP2 class! Now that would be something to see, not to mention that races take 12 - 24 hours over there! :D

AndyRAC
27th October 2008, 22:55
Let's see, the old Concorde Agreement ran out last season, and there is still no new Agreement in place.

I guess they are all free to leave F1 and join the Le Mans LMP1 or LMP2 class! Now that would be something to see, not to mention that races take 12 - 24 hours over there! :D

I'd have to say that the LMS/ALMS series has seen some of, if not the best MotorRacing this year. Absolutely fantastic stuff, different classes, cars, engines, etc To me, that is what Motor Racing should be about - innovation, instead of all the same 2.4L V8's.

wedge
27th October 2008, 23:33
IMSA likes to tinker things equalise the prototype classes. A couple of years ago Audi threatened to pull out of ALMS.

ioan
27th October 2008, 23:58
IMSA likes to tinker things equalise the prototype classes. A couple of years ago Audi threatened to pull out of ALMS.

Yeah , but they leave place to innovation and are not threatening with a one make series.

wmcot
28th October 2008, 05:51

The difference between IMSA's treatment of ALMS and the FIA's treatment of F1 is that IMSA seems to learn from it's mistakes, not cover them up. They have tried to equalize some parts of the series with air intake restrictors and weight penalties, but have changed back the other direction when the effect was too drastic.

There is a lot more innovation and freedom of design in ALMS/LMS than in F1 and the racing is closer, too. Hmm...technology, innovation, close racing...sounds like what F1 was meant to be but is not any more!

Oh yeah, add fan-friendly and accessible to that, too! And don't forget "Green Technology!"

In my opinion, ALMS is a far better series than F1. When you have the overall race win at the 10 hours of Petit Le Mans decided by 4 seconds, that's close racing! The GT2 class at Sebring in 2007 was decided by a couple of seconds after 12 hours of racing!

Plus, look at the F1 drivers who were winners of each class at the 10 hour Petit LeMans race of this season - LMP1 Allan McNish, Emmanuele Pirro - LMP2 Ryan Briscoe - GT1 Jan Magnussen - GT2 Mika Salo. Those are just the class winners, the list of F1 drivers in ALMS goes on and on. I wonder why they like ALMS so much more than F1???? McNish told me there is no comparison!

wmcot
28th October 2008, 05:54
I almost forgot - In response to "Is the ship sinking?" Let's hope Bernie and Max play the good captain and go down with the ship!!! :(

ioan
28th October 2008, 06:25
I almost forgot - In response to "Is the ship sinking?" Let's hope Bernie and Max play the good captain and go down with the ship!!! :(

I think they would rather play the rats! :s

F1boat
28th October 2008, 06:49
Now Ferrari has said that they wil quit too. I want to add my tremendous respect to the ALMS, which is a great series. LMS less so, but ALMS rules.

wedge
28th October 2008, 11:29
The difference between IMSA's treatment of ALMS and the FIA's treatment of F1 is that IMSA seems to learn from it's mistakes, not cover them up. They have tried to equalize some parts of the series with air intake restrictors and weight penalties, but have changed back the other direction when the effect was too drastic.

There is a lot more innovation and freedom of design in ALMS/LMS than in F1 and the racing is closer, too. Hmm...technology, innovation, close racing...sounds like what F1 was meant to be but is not any more!

Oh yeah, add fan-friendly and accessible to that, too! And don't forget "Green Technology!"

In my opinion, ALMS is a far better series than F1. When you have the overall race win at the 10 hours of Petit Le Mans decided by 4 seconds, that's close racing! The GT2 class at Sebring in 2007 was decided by a couple of seconds after 12 hours of racing!

Plus, look at the F1 drivers who were winners of each class at the 10 hour Petit LeMans race of this season - LMP1 Allan McNish, Emmanuele Pirro - LMP2 Ryan Briscoe - GT1 Jan Magnussen - GT2 Mika Salo. Those are just the class winners, the list of F1 drivers in ALMS goes on and on. I wonder why they like ALMS so much more than F1???? McNish told me there is no comparison!

Diesel have too much advantage and that's in P1. Audi would be gone by now if the diesels were equal to NA cars with the air restrictors.

McNish, Magnussen and Salo were good average drivers and nothing special in F1 though Magnussen is regarded as a bit of joke on this side of the Atlantic.

Robinho
28th October 2008, 12:36
Toyota say they are staying until at least 2012 (assuming there is technical differentiation between the teams) which sounds to me a thinly veiled version of Ferraris threat to leave in the event of single engines

Roamy
28th October 2008, 21:34
imo champcars were one of the best looking cars ever built ie the panoz.
F1 has spawned a billion dollar wind tunnel race with all their crappy winglets.

Just get back to real racing - one body no extrusions - front a rear wing that looks good - slicks - 5 race engine - 6 speed sequential manual clutch operation. lets go racing

Tazio
28th October 2008, 21:59
imo champcars were one of the best looking cars ever built ie the panoz.
F1 has spawned a billion dollar wind tunnel race with all their crappy winglets.

Just get back to real racing - one body no extrusions - front a rear wing that looks good - slicks - 5 race engine - 6 speed sequential manual clutch operation. lets go racing :up:

F1boat
29th October 2008, 07:14
fousto, don't give FIA ideas! Max can buy the Panoz champcars and enforce them to the teams...