PDA

View Full Version : Historical Surfer's Speeds

Hoop-98
25th October 2008, 16:24
This course, like most street course's is very sensitive speedwise to getting rubber down. By looking at the P1-3 and Q times over the years you can tell when there has been rain interspersed vs when the rubber is allowed to build up over days.

The Panoz is obviously the fastest, with red tires, P2P, and more downforce than any of the other cars that would be expected.

The Dallara slots in very similar to the 2004 Champ Car, less horsepower, 4 MPH slower on straights, but better tires and mechanical grip.

What would it take to make the Dallara run with the Panoz, if we get the 50 HP I am hearing for road courses that would take about 1/2 the gap away at a track like this. Since the Panoz didn't have to meet any particular rules, it is tough for cars built under a much more restrictive ie. competitive environment to compete unless they opened up the aero, unlikely until the new car.

So the record is safe until the new car unless of course we don't come back.

Practice 1, 2, 3
Qualifying 1
Best Lap of race

http://i34.tinypic.com/v7zbj9.jpg

Thoughts?

rh

NickFalzone
25th October 2008, 18:09
Barnhart said that next season they will be adding an extra 50 hp for road courses, anyone know how this will be accomplished?

Hoop-98
25th October 2008, 18:13
Barnhart said that next season they will be adding an extra 50 hp for road courses, anyone know how this will be accomplished?

I'd guess RPM..

NickFalzone
25th October 2008, 18:15
I'd guess RPM..

True but then I wonder about Honda's reliability.

Hoop-98
25th October 2008, 18:23
I think they can do it at about 10,900. That should be manageable. Easier than the sustained high rpm on an Oval.

I am sure Honda had plenty on input, if in fact it wasn't their idea.

That should put them pretty much on par with the 06 Lola's.
rh

Old3Fan
25th October 2008, 19:35

Adding another pedal so you can use both feet at once.

ShiftingGears
25th October 2008, 21:58
So long as it has more power exceeding grip so they don't look slow and sluggish.

garyshell
26th October 2008, 06:07
So long as it has more power exceeding grip...

Can I get an AMEN, brothers and sisters?

Gary

Hoop-98
26th October 2008, 17:14
The reason the DP01 was faster than the Lola was it had more grip in faster turns and bends, many bends and esses that you had to lift in the Lola could be flatfooted in the DP01.

And we know what an out roar of protest there was about that DP01 grip exceeding power eh ... :)

rh

indycool
26th October 2008, 22:08
Cars are going to be faster on ovals than road courses. Duh. When a DP01 goes 220 somewhere, let me know.

Street courses tend to be slower than natural road courses, anywhere from arosund 98 to 115 miles an hour per lap. Being that slow, other open-wheel formulae close any gaps somewhat on those kind of courses. Indeed, with the power-weight ratio and quick steering, I wonder what a spruced-up endurance kart would do on one of these.

But 50 more HP? Whatever.......

call_me_andrew
27th October 2008, 04:31
The reason the DP01 was faster than the Lola was it had more grip in faster turns and bends, many bends and esses that you had to lift in the Lola could be flatfooted in the DP01.

And we know what an out roar of protest there was about that DP01 grip exceeding power eh ... :)

rh

Didn't the DP01 also have more mechanical grip in slow corners? I'm pretty sure it had a shorter wheelbase than the Lola.

ShiftingGears
27th October 2008, 05:29

rh

I never had complaints about the Lola :p :

The Dallara just looks sluggish on road courses.

Hoop-98
27th October 2008, 14:04
I never had complaints about the Lola :p :

The Dallara just looks sluggish on road courses.

Ok, I'll bite? On which track did you see them race?

rh

dataman1
27th October 2008, 18:47
First I admit my lack of knowledge about the Honda used in the IRL.

Question: Do they use an ECU controlled waste gate in the exhaust system? If so, could they program the ECU for street/road courses to work at higher exhaust manifold pressures to get the extra 50 horsepower? That's how we managed the Cosworth pressures.

Hoop-98
27th October 2008, 21:27
First I admit my lack of knowledge about the Honda used in the IRL.

Question: Do they use an ECU controlled waste gate in the exhaust system? If so, could they program the ECU for street/road courses to work at higher exhaust manifold pressures to get the extra 50 horsepower? That's how we managed the Cosworth pressures.

The Honda is not abnormally aspirated... :)

rh

nigelred5
27th October 2008, 21:45
The Honda is not abnormally aspirated... :)

rh

Yeah, I choke on my own vomit every time I try to watch them run.

Hoop-98
28th October 2008, 01:50
Yeah, I choke on my own vomit every time I try to watch them run.

Why bother then, hey where did you see them run?

ShiftingGears
28th October 2008, 01:54
Ok, I'll bite? On which track did you see them race?

rh

Surfers Paradise.

Hoop-98
28th October 2008, 01:59
I see, which part of the track? Just wondering if they were accelerating or decel? I usually take a stop watch, even after a few thousand races I know you can't tell 2 tenths, (the biggest difference in any section) by eye.

ShiftingGears
28th October 2008, 02:05
I see, which part of the track? Just wondering if they were accelerating or decel? I usually take a stop watch, even after a few thousand races I know you can't tell 2 tenths, (the biggest difference in any section) by eye.

I saw on the TV. But the most notable difference was on the chicane where Power crashed, and the single-file esses on the backstraight.

Hoop-98
28th October 2008, 02:07
I saw on the TV. But the most notable difference was on the chicane where Power crashed, and the single-file esses on the backstraight.

ok :)