PDA

View Full Version : Rockingham returns to BTCC calendar

champcarjim
6th December 2006, 19:49
Rockingham returns to BTCC calendar april 22 confirmed date on website.
i dont know if this is good news or not? that takesup another of the 6 race meetings allowed could be why they want more dates to be allowed to race.

i dont know if i should laugh or cry ???

tin-top fan
6th December 2006, 19:51
Looks like you beat me to it......

champcarjim
6th December 2006, 19:52
sorry ! will step back

acorn
6th December 2006, 20:10
great news for rockingham and all spectators who like to actually be able to see ALL of the track not just the odd corner and get a grandstand seat at no extra cost.

Jamie Brown
6th December 2006, 21:26
are yes this is the greatest news ever this year for rockingham roll on april 22nd!

hicksy
6th December 2006, 22:21
This is great news.

71minus2
6th December 2006, 22:44
Surely the best option would be to have SCSA support BTCC? SCSA cant compete with the A1GP on 29/04 so this would benefit all concerned. The only down side would be the need to run 1 SCSA race on the Saturday to allow for any other support races contractually obliged to run on the Sunday.

Richard.

pickup
6th December 2006, 23:44
Good news for the Rock, but i can't really see them wanting SCSA as support, i don't think they will wan't to run with any oval formulas plus with the precarious situation with the stock cars they can't actually gaurantee how many will be running next year.Although things are looking better for the SCSA next season we will have to wait and see what happens re car numbers plus they will have a full timetable for the weekend, perhaps one day it may happen!

71minus2
6th December 2006, 23:48
Totally agree but IF the 2 series got together then SCSA would benefit from MotorsTV live coverage (if that happens in 2007) and possible ITV coverage, albeit just advertising.

I know this has only just been announced but why not think it may happen......even just for a minute!

Henry Cutts
6th December 2006, 23:54
This is good news, i am looking forward to it already.

pickup
7th December 2006, 00:00
Yes TV coverage would be excellent just what we need for Oval racing and perhaps a boost to keep Rockingham going, but hey you have to be realistic.
I did think for that minute that it may happen but then i woke up and i was back in a world that can't seem to accept oval racing and the great entertaiment that it brings!

pickup
7th December 2006, 00:03
Sorry didn't mean to say world actually meant country.

Speedworx
7th December 2006, 00:16
Woohoo!!!

I have been waiting for this news forever!

F150pickup
7th December 2006, 10:16
So have i found it very hard keeping quiet Great news for Rockingham lets hope that they take full advantage of this and get the circuit back on TRACK

mbr
7th December 2006, 11:40
Totally agree this is great news for Rockingham,also agree that SCSA should try to get on the support bill somehow(although BTCC has its own support package)with A1 GP on at Brands April 29th maybe not a good date anyway fro the stock cars!

foxystoat
7th December 2006, 14:15
Superb news can't wait !

JovialJooles
7th December 2006, 15:53
Gosh, that really is very good news!

stigsil
7th December 2006, 17:51
Yes I would like to add from Rockinghams point of view. We here are very much looking forward to welcoming BTCC back to the rock. We're ready for the sleepless nights in the few days before the event.

Dave17
7th December 2006, 19:39
From an ASCAR point of view its not such good news-they are not supporting the BTCC so no media coverage. For motor racing fans in the area yes it is good news. From Rockinghams point of view must be good but won't it give the NIMBY's more ammo re traffic?

JDPower
7th December 2006, 22:15
won't it give the NIMBY's more ammo re traffic?
The traffic doesn't go anywhere near the nimby villages.

JDPower
8th December 2006, 04:31
The news seems to have gone down well on the BTCC forum:
http://ascar.motorsportforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112648

Though Silverstone aren't too happy:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/55942

Rusty Spanner
8th December 2006, 14:26
SCSA should definitely try and support the BTCC even if its a non-championship race (although that'll stretch what I imagine will already be pretty stretched budgets and will probably reduce the grid size). SCSA has got nothing to loose. There are very few chances (virtually none) for SCSA to race in its natural enviroment (an oval) in front of a crowd of potential new fans. If they put on a good show some new fans could be attracted to Thunder Sundays. If they put on a poor show I don't think the hardcore fanbase that SCSA has left will be affected.

Now if they could squeeze the pickups in on the oval in as well that would certainly get the attention of some who thought the BTCC was close racing!

pickup
8th December 2006, 15:42
SCSA should definitely try and support the BTCC even if its a non-championship race (although that'll stretch what I imagine will already be pretty stretched budgets and will probably reduce the grid size). SCSA has got nothing to loose. There are very few chances (virtually none) for SCSA to race in its natural enviroment (an oval) in front of a crowd of potential new fans. If they put on a good show some new fans could be attracted to Thunder Sundays. If they put on a poor show I don't think the hardcore fanbase that SCSA has left will be affected.

Now if they could squeeze the pickups in on the oval in as well that would certainly get the attention of some who thought the BTCC was close racing!
You say this like it's up to the SCSA, surely it's the BTCC that has to invite the SCSA not the SCSA saying we'll support you on that weekend." Probably reduce the grid size" is definately not what they would want to hear, if you read my previous post that was one reason i thought they would not invite stock cars to join them although looking better for 2007 there is no gaurantee of a good field of cars which i'm sure they would like to see on a BTCC weekend, the other reason i believe is that they would not want to run any oval formulas plus the fact that they already have a full support programme. "If they put on a poor show "in front of a venue full of motorsport fans who they are trying to attract back to Rockingham i think that would not help SCSA racings future.
As for the pickups certainly they could gaurantee a full grid 26-28 cars and would assure good close racing but again i don't think they would want to run them on the oval (where they look superb) perhaps they could race on one of the road courses and would still provide excellent close racing, if i remember correctly the trucks did race on a BTCC calender at Knockhill so they have some connection with the touring cars. But again i think they have enough support and the idea of Alan Gow inviting us that weekend is all just a dream.

Jordygirl
8th December 2006, 16:52
won't it give the NIMBY's more ammo re traffic?

In the good old days when there were huge crowds at the Rock, the traffic was diverted away from the local villages, and the roads closed. The traffic was also sign posted to avoid Uppingham and use the A43 approach rather than the A6003. So I don't think that will be a problem.

Rusty Spanner
8th December 2006, 17:00
You say this like it's up to the SCSA, surely it's the BTCC that has to invite the SCSA not the SCSA saying we'll support you on that weekend." .

Thats why I said "SCSA should try and support". Rather than wait to be asked I hope they are putting themselves forward as an option.

Probably reduce the grid size" is definately not what they would want to hear, if you read my previous post that was one reason i thought they would not invite stock cars to join them although looking better for 2007 there is no gaurantee of a good field of cars which i'm sure they would like to see on a BTCC weekend.

There's bound to be strings attached - like grid size - to any agreement.

the other reason i believe is that they would not want to run any oval formulas plus the fact that they already have a full support programme.

You're probably right but its worth a try.

"If they put on a poor show "in front of a venue full of motorsport fans who they are trying to attract back to Rockingham i think that would not help SCSA racings future.

SCSA pretty much hit rock bottom this year in my opinion. The only way is up so I think its worth the risk.

As for the pickups certainly they could gaurantee a full grid 26-28 cars and would assure good close racing but again i don't think they would want to run them on the oval (where they look superb) perhaps they could race on one of the road courses and would still provide excellent close racing, if i remember correctly the trucks did race on a BTCC calender at Knockhill so they have some connection with the touring cars. But again i think they have enough support and the idea of Alan Gow inviting us that weekend is all just a dream.

The pickups running on the oval would benefit Thunder Sundays/SCSA by showcasing how good oval racing can be. If they ran the road course whilst it would be good for the pickups it I don't think it would help Thunder Sundays/SCSA as much.

acorn
8th December 2006, 17:24
with rockingham's noise curfews it would be highly unlikely they would be able to fit additional formulae in without some of the regular support package being absent for some reason.
compare the btcc show at the last brands hatch where the the additional heritage gts were on at 17:55 (or snetterton where racing started at 09:00 and finished at 18:30(scheduled)with heritage gts and tcars) with thruxton 11:00 start with last race scheduled to start at 17:20 and no gts or tcars.

acorn
8th December 2006, 17:35
The pickups running on the oval would benefit Thunder Sundays/SCSA by showcasing how good oval racing can be. If they ran the road course whilst it would be good for the pickups it I don't think it would help Thunder Sundays/SCSA as much.

why would btcc want to show how good oval racing is? they will be there to promote their own product NOT a rival(although getting them back to rockingham won't do the spectator satisfaction oval style any harm).

the british gt meeting may have had an oval element this year but in '07, when the f3s will also return, it is my understanding that will not be the case.

pickup
8th December 2006, 17:49
The pickups running on the oval would benefit Thunder Sundays/SCSA by showcasing how good oval racing can be. If they ran the road course whilst it would be good for the pickups it I don't think it would help Thunder Sundays/SCSA as much.[/QUOTE]

Yes i totally agree, i would much rather see them on the oval than a road course. I am a big fan of oval racing but unfortunately i am just trying to be realistic and that was the only way i could see anything associated with oval racing being included on the programme and as they say any publicity is good publicity.
As far as grid sizes being attached to the agreement i would think that would be a non starter, how many would they want 20, 22, 24 if it's going to be entertaining as many as possible and i can't see anybody from the SCSA gaurenteing that!
I would disagree that a poor show would be worth the risk, things are looking better for the SCSA with more interest in the formula hopefully a much better grid and higher profile drivers the last thing they need is to put on a "poor show" in front of a huge crowd of motorsport enthusiasts. If next year they can maintain a good consistent number of cars on the grid with CLOSE entertaining racing and some good publicity also increasing spectator numbers then maybe in 2008 oval racing could become a deserved part of a BTCC weekend.( if there are enough dates on the Rockingham calender but thats another thread)

pickup
8th December 2006, 17:56
why would btcc want to show how good oval racing is? they will be there to promote their own product NOT a rival(although getting them back to rockingham won't do the spectator satisfaction oval style any harm).

the british gt meeting may have had an oval element this year but in '07, when the f3s will also return, it is my understanding that will not be the case.

Thats exactly right as i have just posted any publicity is good publicity even people through the turnstiles seeing what an excellent facillity Rockingham is will surely help.
The F3/GT meeting will not include any oval racing.

nissan3
9th December 2006, 11:53
Wait for it to be made official guys

acorn
9th December 2006, 12:32
sorry but wait for what to be made official?

pickup
9th December 2006, 12:40
BTCC website, the touring cars return to Rockingham on 22nd April. Sounds official to me.

F150pickup
9th December 2006, 13:01
And Autosports and also heard it dierect from Silverstone so very official but i think Silverstone w

F150pickup
9th December 2006, 13:03
And Autosports and also heard it dierect from Silverstone so very official but i think Silverstone will fight ( sorry for double post but did not finish and hit wrong button)

pickup
9th December 2006, 13:19
Sounds like Silverstone are definately trying to get a round but i think the Rockingham date will stay and perhaps an extra date for silverstone or maybe a swap for one of the two Thruxton rounds. I think Silverstone are very arrogant just assuming they are "the home of British motorsport" so they should host a round of the Championship. Come on Rockingham show people what watching a complete race is all about not just a few seconds of each lap!