PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting interview with Massa

ioan
23rd October 2008, 17:06
A very good interview. I recommend it to everyone, even to those who don't like him.

What I like about him is that he acknowledges that his debut was not stellar and that he was a wild driver in 2002.

"I was a little bit of a wild guy, it's true," he said. "But I had a very difficult car to drive. I was very young - maybe too young to start straight away.

"Sauber had the best year in 2001 with Kimi and Nick. I came in the next year and they expected me to do exactly the same as Kimi did, but the car was not as good as it was the previous season. So I tried too much.

"I made some good results, scored some good points and made some good races. But I made some very bad races as well. That was not a great thing for my image and it took very long to recover and change my image in Formula One. But fortunately I think we changed it."

Massa believes the progress he has made during the past few seasons at Ferrari is simply the result of being more experienced.

"Even when you have a difficult car to drive, if you know how to set up the car and how to work with the team, then you know how to have a comfortable car to drive," he said.

"If you have a car that doesn't match with your driving style it's very difficult and very easy to make mistakes when you drive all the time at the limit. With experience I started to learn what I needed and how I wanted the car, and how to work with the team.

"A big part of the learning (for me was) as a Ferrari test driver. That year was like a university for me. Michael (Schumacher) was like the professor and I learned a lot from him, about how to grow inside the team and work with them better.

"To say what you want and to push hard in every area. I learned a lot from him but never tried to be more than him because you cannot. I just tried to learn a lot and wait for my time, and my time is coming a little bit now and I'm quite happy for that."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71652

Firstgear
23rd October 2008, 17:21
A very good interview. I recommend it to everyone, even to those who don't like him.

I think it may be tough to find someone who doesn't like Massa.
But alot easier to find people who don't think he's anything that special behind the wheel.

Tazio
23rd October 2008, 17:39
Nice find Ioan!
Nothing surprising to me in it.
What it implies, but doesn't say is
given the right conditions (including tyres)
That car is unbeatable.
C'est la vie

gloomyDAY
23rd October 2008, 18:04
Massa:

I am comfortable and happy. I think in life the most important thing is to be happy and if you are happy then your job comes more natural.

Eloquent. I find this sentence to be part of his learning curve.
He's happy and will perform well under those circumstances.

F1boat
23rd October 2008, 18:54
Massa rules! I wish him well at his home race! The title might be not in his hands, but win at home + the WCC will be nice!

yodasarmpit
23rd October 2008, 19:13
We clearly have different interpretations of the word interesting.

Courteous, humble, nice bloke, but not really interesting.

ioan
23rd October 2008, 21:00

One man's trash another man's treasure.

PS: I was talking about the interview not about Massa.

BDunnell
23rd October 2008, 21:04
Proves that different people find different things interesting. Nothing of great fascination to me there at all, I must say.

yodasarmpit
23rd October 2008, 21:05
One man's trash another man's treasure.

PS: I was talking about the interview not about Massa.
I was actually referring to the interview as well as Massa, he comes across as a nice bloke, but the interview contains 0% interesting.

truefan72
23rd October 2008, 21:18
But alot easier to find people who don't think he's anything that special behind the wheel.

my view exactly

wedge
23rd October 2008, 23:59
I was actually referring to the interview as well as Massa, he comes across as a nice bloke, but the interview contains 0% interesting.

I thought it was a very honest interview. He admits jumping to F1 too quickly which is something I find rare. Most will never admit their fault, they'll blame the car, team, environment but never fully critique themselves.

Valve Bounce
24th October 2008, 01:01

His honesty, and lack of arrogance is interesting. I have already posted on the I feel sorry thread, so there is little for me to add here.

In all honesty, I cannot imagine any interview of DC (a Scotsman) being more interesting. So I guess what may interest some people, like Aussi Rules and Gaelic Football, may be O% interesting to others who love Rugby.

A case of:"Different strokes for different folks!"

Knock-on
24th October 2008, 10:25

I don't know anyone that doesn't like Massa. He really is one of the nicest people in F1.

Is he special behind the wheel? Well, he can be on his day given the best car but certainly not the best out there. You wouldn't put money on Massa in a out and out dog fight with Alonso or Lewis but stick him in the Ferrari and he's "capable" of winning the WDC.

He just needs to learn a bit more of that Schumy agression but I don't know if you can learn that.

As for the interview. Pretty honest but not too interesting.

wedge
24th October 2008, 11:40
In all honesty, I cannot imagine any interview of DC (a Scotsman) being more interesting. So I guess what may interest some people, like Aussi Rules and Gaelic Football, may be O% interesting to others who love Rugby.

I find DC a good honest bloke. He's a man of principle and even admitted he probably on hindsight he should've been a bit more selfish instead of playing teacher's pet.

jas123f1
24th October 2008, 12:06
Yes - one can say that there are some drivers with more talent than Massa (e.g. Kimi and Alonso) but he has been working on it and today it's getting quite well.. it would be really nice if he win the title .. :)

Tazio
24th October 2008, 19:33
Yes - one can say that there are some drivers with more talent than Massa (e.g. Kimi and Alonso) but he has been working on it and today it's getting quite well.. it would be really nice if he win the title .. :) Did you purposely omit someone? :beer:

Valve Bounce
24th October 2008, 21:08
I find DC a good honest bloke. He's a man of principle and even admitted he probably on hindsight he should've been a bit more selfish instead of playing teacher's pet.

I am sure Nick will agree with you on the honesty bit.

markabilly
25th October 2008, 02:54
[quote="yodasarmpit"]We clearly have different interpretations of the word interesting.

Courteous, humble, nice bloke, but not really interesting.[/quoteEven worse,

Agreed!!!

So boring, there is not one single quote from him that his balls are bigger, that he is Kooler, that he is quicker, that he handles pressure better....yada yoda yada, yoda....

Geezus, no wonder Bernie is rooting and tooting for that other driver...FM is almost as bad as Kimi and F1 just can not afford another Kimi, not in these bleak economic times

:beer:

markabilly
25th October 2008, 02:57

Agreed!!!

Even worse.......So boring, there is not one single quote from him that his balls are bigger, that he is Kooler, that he is quicker, that he handles pressure better....yada yoda yada, yoda....

Geezus, no wonder Bernie is rooting and tooting for that other driver...FM is almost as bad as Kimi and F1 just can not afford another Kimi, not in these bleak economic times

:beer:

wmcot
25th October 2008, 08:51
His honesty, and lack of arrogance is interesting. I have already posted on the I feel sorry thread, so there is little for me to add here.

Hey! Don't knockl Aussie Football! It just became available here in the US on Digital MHZTV and I think it's a riot! Oh, and the rules are a lot easier to understand than F1!

Back on topic, I think Massa is a genuinely nice guy who has worked hard to be where he's at. Even if he wins the WDC, there will be those who put it all down to the car. Funny, I've never seen even a great car like the F2002 win a race without a driver!

Valve Bounce
25th October 2008, 10:54
Hey! Don't knockl Aussie Football! It just became available here in the US on Digital MHZTV and I think it's a riot! Oh, and the rules are a lot easier to understand than F1!

Back on topic, I think Massa is a genuinely nice guy who has worked hard to be where he's at. Even if he wins the WDC, there will be those who put it all down to the car. Funny, I've never seen even a great car like the F2002 win a race without a driver!

While I don't want to diminish any respect for Massa and Ferrari, the only way Massa can win the WDC is if Lewis's car has mechanical problems or if Lewis does something really stupid. Massa may or may not win the race in Brazil, but I can't see him winning the WDC on merit alone as there is just too great a points gap.

But good luck to him; but be warned - if Lewis doesn't win the WDC, we will be inflicted with yet another year of Pommy whingeing :(

woody2goody
25th October 2008, 16:23
I thought it was a very honest interview. He admits jumping to F1 too quickly which is something I find rare. Most will never admit their fault, they'll blame the car, team, environment but never fully critique themselves.

I take back the 'not admitting mistakes' point then.

ioan
25th October 2008, 16:42
... but be warned - if Lewis doesn't win the WDC, we will be inflicted with yet another year of Pommy whingeing :(

I think that if he wins we will have to withstand even worse attitudes. :s

Valve Bounce
26th October 2008, 00:28

Oh OmiGod!! we are in a lose/lose situation :(

markabilly
26th October 2008, 01:40
Oh OmiGod!! we are in a lose/lose situation :(

No way, I am looking forward to a Lewis WDC, as I expect a hambone good time :monkeedan to be had by him and certain brits, :love:

and the words of highest praise for his absolute greatness will sprew forth from Lewis.... :fasttalk:

Valve Bounce
26th October 2008, 01:43
No way, I am looking forward to a Lewis WDC, as I expect a hambone good time :monkeedan to be had by him and certain brits, :love:

and the words of highest praise for his absolute greatness will sprew forth from Lewis.... :fasttalk:

.................and Martin, and DC like forever next year!! :(

wmcot
26th October 2008, 06:55

You mean you don't think Lewis will be a humble, gracious champion? ;)

ioan
26th October 2008, 08:34
You mean you don't think Lewis will be a humble, gracious champion? ;)

I was thinking about his fans, but along the same lines, yeah. ;)