PDA

View Full Version : Last grand prix on ITV

ShiftingGears
22nd October 2008, 23:36
They've done a good job :up:

71minus2
22nd October 2008, 23:54
not really. the adverts have ruined it and caused us to miss a lot of the action, James Allen is an embarrassment. BBC coverage will be a lot better.

V12
23rd October 2008, 00:15
ITV's best coverage was probably the 1997 Australian Grand Prix. And that pretty much says it all really.

BDunnell
23rd October 2008, 00:26
The ITV coverage has been basically competent, but no more. As ever when ITV lose the rights to the BBC, no-one will be sorry except those who lose their jobs. No matter how hard it tries — too hard, a lot of the time — ITV just isn't seen as the natural home of sport on UK television and it doesn't deserve to be. Deep down, I reckon it knows it, too, no matter how many rights it buys in at once.

ShiftingGears
23rd October 2008, 00:45
not really. the adverts have ruined it and caused us to miss a lot of the action, James Allen is an embarrassment. BBC coverage will be a lot better.

I think most of the time he's pretty good. The switch from ITV to BBC won't make any difference here as far as ads are concerned, unfortunately.

woody2goody
23rd October 2008, 00:56
I started watching Formula One in 1996, so pretty much all I've known is the ITV coverage. I have to say that Martin Brundle single-handedly raised the level of the coverage. Without his insights I would probably not have bothered with 2002 and 2004 :) It was great hearing the legendary Murray Walker for 5 years before 2002, and then came James Allen.

I think Allen is a clever man and he is so enthusiastic it's untrue. However he made a lot of mistakes, especially with regards to driver identity, which really you should never make. It's clear enough who's driving which car unless it's a very long shot, and even then you have some idea who it is. Overall he wasn't quite as bad as many people said, but he did infuriate me at times. He has seemed to improve over the last few races however. I wouldn't mind if he went to the BBC for 2009 but it'd be nice if someone else has a try.

As for the presenters, Jim Rosenthal was ok, but didn't have the raw F1 knowledge. Steve Rider was very good but I think he got saddled with some of the blame for the Hamilton-bias when it wasn't really his fault. I think he's just genuinely excited that Lewis is at the front.

Speaking of the devil, the Hamilton-driven coverage over the last couple of years has infuriated me somewhat. It gets to the point during the races where James Allen almost has to introduce a guy like Giancarlo Fisichella because he is almost never mentioned.

In fact most of the guys near the top 10 are never mentioned, like Jarno Trulli and Nelson Piquet. I hope the BBC can cover EVERY team and driver and not just the Brits. As proper F1 fans and not bandwagon-jumpers, we'd probably like to know one fact about every driver on the grid than 20 about Lewis Hamilton before every race. I like Hamilton but they should know when to stop.

A big talking point was the advert breaks during races. Yes, they've always been there but they used to be around 30 seconds before 2006-7 when they turned into fully fledged advert breaks. During a major sporting event. Enough said. I think they should run the Brazilian GP with no damned adverts and let us watch the title decider all the way through.

For those of you who know what I'm talking about, I feel like I did when Channel 4 lost Test Match Cricket to Sky Sports. I feel ITV moved F1 broadcasting forward a long way, and delivered a usually highly polished presentation, with a few niggles thrown in here and there.

It'll be a sad occasion for me because most of my F1 life I have known the ITV coverage, but I'm looking forward to new beginnings and a fresh approach next year. I hope the BBC don't regress the coverage by sticking a few people in a studio.

Valve Bounce
23rd October 2008, 02:10
Thank God!! Let's hope and look forward to uninterrupted race broadcasts - no advert breaks.

ShiftingGears
23rd October 2008, 02:29
Thank God!! Let's hope and look forward to uninterrupted race broadcasts - no advert breaks.

...For the BBC.

Channel Ten is still going to have to pay the bills.

Valve Bounce
23rd October 2008, 04:34
...For the BBC.

Channel Ten is still going to have to pay the bills.

That's OK!! Let's hope we get better webcast next year from the Beeb!! Bugger Channel 10!

Somebody
23rd October 2008, 05:59
That's OK!! Let's hope we get better webcast next year from the Beeb!! Bugger Channel 10!

You're not going to get it unless you find a UK proxy server. The Beeb GeoIP-locks their live webcasts.

Rollo
23rd October 2008, 06:26
Whenever I complain about Channel 10, it's usually met with stoney silence. The fact remains is that here in Oz, the Grands Prix will still be put on at stupid o'clock to make way for Big Brother, Australian Idol, Australia's Got No Talent, or whatever the hell stupid ass reality show that they put on... rararrarrr :angryfire :

ShiftingGears
23rd October 2008, 06:44
Whenever I complain about Channel 10, it's usually met with stoney silence. The fact remains is that here in Oz, the Grands Prix will still be put on at stupid o'clock to make way for Big Brother, Australian Idol, Australia's Got No Talent, or whatever the hell stupid ass reality show that they put on... rararrarrr :angryfire :

That p!ssed me off to no end until I got digital TV. Which has pre-race stuff as well as live coverage.

Too bad quali is still on at stupid o'clock though.

I can't stand watching the internet feed constantly buffer :p :

gravity
23rd October 2008, 07:13
We get the ITV based broadcast in South Africa with James Allen and Martin Brundle's commentary. We don't get their adverts, but some nice peaceful moments without commentary while, I assume, u are watching adverts. We were lucky to get all the practice sessions and quali live. Only quali and race sessions had commentary. And did I mention NO ADVERTS!!!

I hope we don't lose any of these benefits in SA when it changes to BBC

Dave B
23rd October 2008, 07:56
North One have done a good job.

ITV have done their best to undo all that good work with shoddy scheduling, far too many ad breaks, and piss-poor picture quality.

Even in recent years when they've had three digital channels, how many times have we seen the post-race coverage cut short as they throw to Coronation Street or a Bond film which has been on a hundred times?

In the rare cases when they've extended their coverage they've not updated the EPG, so anybody recording the race will have missed out - ITV's duty office told me this was impossible but that's BS: the BBC manage it ok and even Eurosport occasionally work out how to do it.

I'll be watching Brazil with joy in my heart, no matter who wins, knowing it's the last race (at least for a few years) where I have to endure adverts and Sony ironically telling me how they make the most of HD while watching a sub-standard SD broadcast.

wmcot
23rd October 2008, 08:24
ITV's commentators are too Lewis-loving, Ferrari-hating for me. I guess they never heard of balanced reporting!

Valve Bounce
23rd October 2008, 08:47
You're not going to get it unless you find a UK proxy server. The Beeb GeoIP-locks their live webcasts.So did ITV. I just rely on some very creative persons who turn up at pino's chat room for quals and races.

71minus2
23rd October 2008, 08:55
ITV's commentators are too Lewis-loving, Ferrari-hating for me. I guess they never heard of balanced reporting!

Ha, very true!! How many times have we heard Steve Ryder say "we shouldn't forget the other British drivers" in the pre and post race broadcasts.

acescribe
23rd October 2008, 08:57
On the whole ITV, or rather North One Productions have done a good job - everything that could have been asked of them in all honesty. Yes, the Ad breaks at times have been annoying but hey-ho...

Having Steve Rider as the presenter over the past three seasons has been a definate plus and he will be missed - how ironic that he was the presenter at the BBC when they hosted their "last" Grand Prix in 1996.

To me its James Allen - yes he is enthusiastic and knows a heck of a lot and yes he makes mistakes BUT to me he just isnt a commentator. His voice is too monotone and when he does 'try' to get excited it comes across as fake. He was better suited in the pit lane. And seeing as its he who does 60% of the talking, for that reason more than the uninterupted coverage I'm glad that its going back to the BBC - I feel that Jonathan Legard will be much better, more of a commentator than a presenter - and there is a difference. Hopefully Mosely wont get his way on Martin Brundle....

Valve Bounce
23rd October 2008, 09:13
As I see on the other thread, it will be Martin and DC. For direct experienced information and discussions, I guess we could not have asked for better.

CNR
23rd October 2008, 10:01

this is for all you Channel 10 bashers
http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s2395650.htm

Next year fifteen free-to-air television channels into Australia,

Mark
23rd October 2008, 11:51
As I see on the other thread, it will be Martin and DC. For direct experienced information and discussions, I guess we could not have asked for better.

DC will be involved but probably not as a commentator.

555-04Q2
23rd October 2008, 11:59

We are in the fortunate position of recieving uninterupted coverage of every race, quali and practice session :)

Mark
23rd October 2008, 12:05
I wonder if they will make mention of this being their last race and give us a look back to 1997 since they started covering F1? It would be a good point to take a look back over the past 10 years.

Or will they just pretend it is business as usual?!

wedge
23rd October 2008, 16:03
I wonder if they will make mention of this being their last race and give us a look back to 1997 since they started covering F1? It would be a good point to take a look back over the past 10 years.

Highlight clips of Brundle's gridwalks is a must.

Kimi in Brazil, Ozzie Osbourne in Canada spring to mind!

BDunnell
23rd October 2008, 16:23
Highlight clips of Brundle's gridwalks is a must.

Kimi in Brazil, Ozzie Osbourne in Canada spring to mind!

Or John Prescott - "I'm going for Damien".

heelandtoe
23rd October 2008, 16:26
here we get the ITV feed courtesy of TSN, so i guess it will now be a BBC feed i hope. Never cared much for James Allen, and the love affair with everything Hamilton/McLaren is a little much, but being one of the top drivers/teams i guess i can't fault them too much

Murray Walker and James Hunt, now they knew how to call a race. It helped that there were guys named Senna, Mansell and Prost though.

christophulus
23rd October 2008, 17:00
ITV have done a great job, it's not the F1 team's fault that they want an advert break every 15 minutes to advertise something Hamilton-related.

On a side note, the last race the BBC presented, we had a British world champion. The last race ITV shows....

Turkeyneck
23rd October 2008, 19:01

Perhaps they could show us all the exciting bits we missed over the years due to the adverts.

BDunnell
23rd October 2008, 20:31
here we get the ITV feed courtesy of TSN, so i guess it will now be a BBC feed i hope. Never cared much for James Allen, and the love affair with everything Hamilton/McLaren is a little much, but being one of the top drivers/teams i guess i can't fault them too much

And this is nothing new at all. I was watching the BBC coverage of some world rallies in 1986 on YouTube the other night, and the attention given to the Metro 6R4s was a bit disproportionate — until they almost inevitably broke down, of course...

Nikki Katz
23rd October 2008, 22:33
I'm a little nervous to be honest. It seems a bit like the BBC took up the coverage because ITV's in financial difficulty and can't afford it, I doubt it'll play as important a role in the BBC schedules as it does in ITV's. I still don't think that the BBC do a very good job with MotoGP.

Still, they must still be making some effort and it'd be great to watch it without adverts. I think that the Hamilton bias will probably stay, but who knows?

THE_LIBERATOR
23rd October 2008, 22:38
Or John Prescott - "I'm going for Damien".Was he going to eat him?

El Sween
23rd October 2008, 22:41
Well I won't miss ITV but it has not all been bad. So long and farewell.

Hawkmoon
23rd October 2008, 22:59
this is for all you Channel 10 bashers
http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s2395650.htm

Channel 10 suck. Not quite to the level of suckiness that Channel 9 achieved but close enough.

I've been watching F1 for over 20 years and have NEVER seen a live, uninterrupted race on TV. I live an hours drive south of Sydney and can't get Channel 10's HD broadcast because it only goes into the capital cities. Forgive me if I have little patience with F1 coverage in this country.

Valve Bounce
24th October 2008, 01:09
DC will be involved but probably not as a commentator.

Dear God!! Please don't let him come out with anymore "It could have been my year!"

Valve Bounce
24th October 2008, 01:12
Channel 10 suck. Not quite to the level of suckiness that Channel 9 achieved but close enough.

I've been watching F1 for over 20 years and have NEVER seen a live, uninterrupted race on TV. I live an hours drive south of Sydney and can't get Channel 10's HD broadcast because it only goes into the capital cities. Forgive me if I have little patience with F1 coverage in this country.

Why didn't you watch it live on the net? You half size the netcast, and put "Live Timing" on the other half of the screen, and you get the entire picture of the race on your screen: lap and sector times for each car, gaps from leader as well as between cars, position of each car; sure as hell beat Channel bloody 10.

aryan
24th October 2008, 04:35
The switch from ITV to BBC won't make any difference here as far as ads are concerned, unfortunately.

Next year, on BBC with no ads, all the more reason to
get the feed off the net and send a strong message to Ten with their pathetic coverage.

aryan
24th October 2008, 04:39
I can't stand watching the internet feed constantly buffer :p :

Buffer...???

When is this? 1998? You haven't magically been teleported from the previous millennium, have you? ;)

Knock-on
24th October 2008, 10:47
I wont miss ITV one bit.

Adverts during critical bits of the race, The Cock getting everything wrong and the Bint asking damn stupid questions of drivers that had just broken down or crashed. :rolleyes:

Only saving grace was Martin and I hope he does go to BBC and stick 2 fingers up to Max :D

Welcome home F1. We've missed you.

V12
24th October 2008, 11:12
Oh and one other thing I can't wait to get shot of, that stupid intro with the silly dressed woman, drivers in posh suits and that annoying song!

Give me "The Chain" with shots of a Williams FW15 (I guess that would be a McLaren MP4-24 next year) intermixed with action clips any day :)

Mark
24th October 2008, 11:24
It would be good for perhaps the first programme if they used the same intro sequence as they did when they left off in 1996!

philipbain
24th October 2008, 12:26

I would dispute that because a) It's a British broadcaster with British viewers, hence covering and supporting British drivers is only natural and b) I would say that James Allen does his best to brown nose Ferrari at every opportunity, he even called his own son Enzo for heavens sake!

As for ITV's last race in Brazil - good riddance! The advert breaks are utterly intolerable, unlike many of our younger posters on this forum I watched years of uninterupted coverage on the BBC pre-1997, yes it wasnt perfect back then but at least you could follow the races properly, the ad breaks disrupt the flow of the race and utterly ruin it. I expect that the BBC's coverage in 2009 will be a significant improvement over 1996, the last season that the BBC carried the coverage, as a lot of development has occured over the last 13 years in broadcasting of F1 (much better production values, FOM feed etc.) and of sports broadcasting in general. In the days when BBC carried F1 it was often part of the Grandstand programme, sharing time with others sports, now that Grandstand is a thing of the past it will have it's own focused coverage, free from time pressures of other sports.

Finally - The Chain - the most evocative BBC Sport theme tune from a library of classic BBC Sport themes, if the BBC don't use this music I think they will have a mutany on thier hands!

Knock-on
24th October 2008, 13:06
The chain still raises hairs on the back of my neck.

I I expect there will be a little nostalgic addition for the first race with possibly a handover from Murray.

:D

ArrowsFA1
24th October 2008, 13:15
...unlike many of our younger posters on this forum I watched years of uninterupted coverage on the BBC pre-1997, yes it wasnt perfect back then but at least you could follow the races properly, the ad breaks disrupt the flow of the race and utterly ruin it.
Ahhh yes, but at least we get the race live, as opposed to the highlights show I remember when the BBC began their regular tv coverage in the late 1970's :p Happy days (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=duf21pPIET8). Happy Days 2 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_vKIohaQpMI&feature=related).

Whether it be ITV or now the BBC at least F1 hasn't gone to pay TV like Sky in the UK. As someone who has just 4 channels (+ the internet) I'm grateful for that at least :)

wedge
24th October 2008, 13:22
People forget that BBC wasn't that great.

Qualy wasn't shown till the mid 90s, press conferences would sometimes be missed out which made the highlights show the better proposition for post race stuff, the live races would be interrupted with horse racing.

Mark
24th October 2008, 13:31

Qualy wasn't shown till the mid 90s, press conferences would sometimes be missed out which made the highlights show the better proposition for post race stuff, the live races would be interrupted with horse racing.

That was the case until the mid-90's, ironically after they lost the contract to ITV, when they upped their game.

Lets not forget that ITV regularly cuts short the press conference. Lets not hear from the 3rd placed driver, lets hear Mark Blundell state the bleedin obvious. He's much better than someone who was actually in the race :hmph:

V12
24th October 2008, 13:35
I don't ever remember F1 being interrupted by other sports on the BBC, Eurosport was the king for that. Having said that I was only 13 in 1996 so maybe there's something I forgot.

Yes the BBC coverage was very bare bones but it did the job and I'd take a return to that over ITV's all-style no-substance approach any day.

Dave B
24th October 2008, 18:01

The promise is that even on those rare times when other events put pressure on the schedules, qually and the races will still be shown in full while everthing else (including practice sessions) will be available on the red button and online.

:up:

schmenke
24th October 2008, 18:49

Murray Walker and James Hunt, now they knew how to call a race. It helped that there were guys named Senna, Mansell and Prost though.

Don't you have access to Speed TV? I normally opt for this instead of TSN. And if you're a frog like me, you can watch with French commentary on RDS :D Typically both Speed TV and RDS have live coverage of practice, quals and raceday.

DazzlaF1
24th October 2008, 22:37
I dont know how this would go down, but anyway. (and apologies if this has already been mentioned)

As part of a build-up to the new season and the BBC's return, maybe they could show full re-runs of some of the best races they covered on one of their digital channels, it would be a great way for them to say that F1 is back where it belongs and would also show the younger generation what F1 used to be like in the good old days, here would be a few examples i would like to see replayed

DIJON 1979 - Gilles Villeneuve -v- Rene Arnoux, a prime example of what would never be allowed today if the FIA's current racing rules are anything to go by

MONACO 1982 - More drama in the final 3 laps than there was in 5 Schumacher title winning seasons put together

SILVERSTONE 1987 - Possibly the greatest comeback and arguably one of the greatest overtaking manouvers ever witnessed, Our Nige' at his very best

DONINGTON PARK 1993 - Arguably Ayrton Senna's finest drive, from 5th to 1st within the 1st lap and going on to win by nearly a lap

VkmSpouge
24th October 2008, 23:11
I'll be happy with the end of ITV's stint as Britain's F1 broadcaster. I can't stand the ad breaks, the biggest plus of the TV licence fee comes in; no commercials.
Ignoring commercials (hardly the F1 team's fault that a commercial channel has to make money somehow) ITV's coverage has been pretty good, it generally improved on what the BBC had been doing. However ITV's post-race coverage is often too short with the driver's interviews cut short. It will be interesting to see what the BBC will do different next year.

dwboogityfan
25th October 2008, 12:09
Although I am pleased that the BBC has the coverage back next year (as I believe we will get things like Practice live on the Red Button) I do think ITV have generally done a good job with their F1 coverage.
I preferred the original commentary team of Walker and Brundle, with James Allen in the Pits and Tony Jardine giving opinion to the current team. My main problem with ITV (apart from the adverts) has been Allen's performance in the commentary booth. However, he had an impossible job following Murray so I feel sorry for him in a way.
I'll be interested if the BBC team shapes up as it is rumoured. Brundle, DC and Eddie Jordan are all characters who will have a strong opinion. No doubt this will further annoy Max...

MrJan
25th October 2008, 12:44
lets hear Mark Blundell state the bleedin obvious. He's much better than someone who was actually in the race :hmph:

State the obvious at the same time as butchering the English language :) I actually switch over or leave the room when he starts speaking. "Lewis done fantastic" etc. etc. If I want to hear stupid sportsmen talk like children then I'll watch MoTD :D

AndyRAC
25th October 2008, 15:15
I'm a little nervous to be honest. It seems a bit like the BBC took up the coverage because ITV's in financial difficulty and can't afford it, I doubt it'll play as important a role in the BBC schedules as it does in ITV's. I still don't think that the BBC do a very good job with MotoGP.

Still, they must still be making some effort and it'd be great to watch it without adverts. I think that the Hamilton bias will probably stay, but who knows?

I actually disagree, the BBC will probably go overboard with all the F1 hullabaloo. That is my problem with their MotoGP coverage - they've hardly promoted it properly, and next year it is exclusively on BBC, not Eurosport - so it will be treated like a 3rd class sport as opposed to the 2nd class they view it now.

woody2goody
25th October 2008, 16:20
I actually disagree, the BBC will probably go overboard with all the F1 hullabaloo. That is my problem with their MotoGP coverage - they've hardly promoted it properly, and next year it is exclusively on BBC, not Eurosport - so it will be treated like a 3rd class sport as opposed to the 2nd class they view it now.

I like MotoGP and I've only seen a couple of adverts on the BBC all year: for the season opening race and the US Grand prix at Laguna Seca. I hope they give them equal treatment next year, because there can be some great racing in MotoGP.

No doubt however there will be numerous letters/emails from 'Mrs F from Milton Keynes' saying 'why have they dedicated time to F1, it's boring, pollutes the environment etc, they've cancelled Eastenders because of it wah wah wah'. I despise those kind of people.

wedge
25th October 2008, 16:34

The BBC do go overboard at times with MotoGP.

Suzi Perry likes to have digs at boring F1.

Apart from last year and probably this year too, at the BBC Sport Personality Awards, MotoGP has been trumped by F1 when they do the motorsports review.

racer69
27th October 2008, 04:36
I've been watching F1 for over 20 years and have NEVER seen a live, uninterrupted race on TV.

Foxtel showed the 2000 Malaysian Grand Prix live & uninterrupted, but that was a one-off.

ABC showed some GP's in 1980 uninterrupted, but they were taken from the BBC 'Grand Prix' highlights

All other GP's shown in Australia (the first was the 1976 Japanese GP on Channel 7) have been on free-to-air, so even the live races have had ads

V12
27th October 2008, 15:07
I dont know how this would go down, but anyway. (and apologies if this has already been mentioned)

As part of a build-up to the new season and the BBC's return, maybe they could show full re-runs of some of the best races they covered on one of their digital channels, it would be a great way for them to say that F1 is back where it belongs and would also show the younger generation what F1 used to be like in the good old days, here would be a few examples i would like to see replayed

DIJON 1979 - Gilles Villeneuve -v- Rene Arnoux, a prime example of what would never be allowed today if the FIA's current racing rules are anything to go by

MONACO 1982 - More drama in the final 3 laps than there was in 5 Schumacher title winning seasons put together

SILVERSTONE 1987 - Possibly the greatest comeback and arguably one of the greatest overtaking manouvers ever witnessed, Our Nige' at his very best

DONINGTON PARK 1993 - Arguably Ayrton Senna's finest drive, from 5th to 1st within the 1st lap and going on to win by nearly a lap

Yes, yes, yes, yes ten million times, yes.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although the pessimist in me says we'd probably get a biopic of Lewis Hamilton or something :rolleyes:

PolePosition_1
27th October 2008, 15:56
I think ITV get a really hard and unfair time with regards to the coverage they have provided. I think ITV all in all have done an above satisfactory job.

I remember the BBC days, when they’d show the race on BBC1 or BBC2, no continuity, they’d show the race on BBC1 and you’d have to cut over to BBC2 for the podium etc etc. The coverage was pretty poor from what I remember.

Then came ITV, with the new line up, with Martin Brundle, giving a respectable ‘expert’ insight. They’ve covered the technical aspect pretty well, and I think even the casual viewer has a basic understanding of tyre, aero etc issues.

I am hoping the BBC coverage will be improved, but if this happens, it’ll be down to the precedent ITV have set, as I think ITV really raised the bar with regards to their coverage, its just these days, people have become complacent.

That said, since Hamilton has been in F1, ITV have moved into a direction, and it’s a love or hate direction. Most casual viewers probably like the 1 hour preview of Hamilton, but most ‘real’ F1 fans dislike it, which has really alienated a lot of F1 viewers from the ITV coverage. Which is a shame really, as I think they done a solid and above satisfactory job for majority of the time.

woody2goody
27th October 2008, 17:10
I think ITV get a really hard and unfair time with regards to the coverage they have provided. I think ITV all in all have done an above satisfactory job.

I remember the BBC days, when they’d show the race on BBC1 or BBC2, no continuity, they’d show the race on BBC1 and you’d have to cut over to BBC2 for the podium etc etc. The coverage was pretty poor from what I remember.

Then came ITV, with the new line up, with Martin Brundle, giving a respectable ‘expert’ insight. They’ve covered the technical aspect pretty well, and I think even the casual viewer has a basic understanding of tyre, aero etc issues.

I am hoping the BBC coverage will be improved, but if this happens, it’ll be down to the precedent ITV have set, as I think ITV really raised the bar with regards to their coverage, its just these days, people have become complacent.

That said, since Hamilton has been in F1, ITV have moved into a direction, and it’s a love or hate direction. Most casual viewers probably like the 1 hour preview of Hamilton, but most ‘real’ F1 fans dislike it, which has really alienated a lot of F1 viewers from the ITV coverage. Which is a shame really, as I think they done a solid and above satisfactory job for majority of the time.

The last point about Hamilton is excellent. For years I've always watched the full pre-qualifying and pre-race show, but this year I've probably switched on for about a third of the races around 10 mins before the race starts.

I'm sick of the one-sided coverage. Even though I think Hamilton's great it's become boring very quickly. Even though it's their last race they'd better give DC some airtime. I know Lewis can win the title but Coulthard's been in F1 since 1994, and I hope that isn't overlooked. And please put some kind of word in for Button who's had a dog of a car, and Davidson who let's not forget did start the year in F1.

Knock-on
27th October 2008, 17:16
The last point about Hamilton is excellent. For years I've always watched the full pre-qualifying and pre-race show, but this year I've probably switched on for about a third of the races around 10 mins before the race starts.

I'm sick of the one-sided coverage. Even though I think Hamilton's great it's become boring very quickly. Even though it's their last race they'd better give DC some airtime. I know Lewis can win the title but Coulthard's been in F1 since 1994, and I hope that isn't overlooked. And please put some kind of word in for Button who's had a dog of a car, and Davidson who let's not forget did start the year in F1.

Too right.

I'm a supporter of Lewis but do feel a little nauseated with Allens sycophantic attitude.

christophulus
27th October 2008, 22:20

Completely agree. I can't remember watching the build-up to any of the races this season, it's just full of yet another interview with Hamilton. I really don't see why they need an hour before the race, surely it would be better to have a bit longer afterwards for all the reactions?

Hopefully ITV will go out with a bang, but whatever happens I'm sure the BBC will do a great job next year, looking forward to it :up:

Dave B
28th October 2008, 08:16
The last point about Hamilton is excellent. For years I've always watched the full pre-qualifying and pre-race show, but this year I've probably switched on for about a third of the races around 10 mins before the race starts..
That's what Sky+ was made for: switch on about 15 - 20 minutes before the start and fast forward through all the repeats from qualifying, the sycophantic features and of course the adverts. Time it just right and you can be watching live just as the FOM five minute graphic plays out :D

Mark
28th October 2008, 09:38
To be fair it's pretty difficult to fill an entire hour with stuff. 20 minutes would do the job, and give longer to the pits walkabout, a full 10 minutes rather than the 2 or 3 they have now.

Dave B
28th October 2008, 10:37
Am I in the minority for really not enjoying Martin's grid walks? He spends so much time faffing about looking for anybody who actually wants to talk to him, often resorting to grabbing a passing celebrity or random VIP.

It's far better when they send Louise and Ted off and play the resulting clips in as-live. If the BBC decided to drop the grid walk I really wouldn't miss it.

Mark
28th October 2008, 10:40
That's what Sky+ was made for: switch on about 15 - 20 minutes before the start and fast forward through all the repeats from qualifying, the sycophantic features and of course the adverts. Time it just right and you can be watching live just as the FOM five minute graphic plays out :D

I must admit for most of the Grand Prix this year I've started watching it about 30 minutes after the start of the race, so I can buzz through the adverts and also the parts of the race where nothing is happening!

Knock-on
28th October 2008, 11:29
Am I in the minority for really not enjoying Martin's grid walks? He spends so much time faffing about looking for anybody who actually wants to talk to him, often resorting to grabbing a passing celebrity or random VIP.

It's far better when they send Louise and Ted off and play the resulting clips in as-live. If the BBC decided to drop the grid walk I really wouldn't miss it.

I actually quite like that bit and hope it continues on BBC

wedge
28th October 2008, 11:38
I like the grid walks. It's car crash telly. Predictable (interviewing Bernie) and cringeworthy these days but there's the expectation of something spontaneously funny to happen - a bit like watching F1 for overtaking or for a goal in football :D

THE_LIBERATOR
28th October 2008, 18:55
Martin Brundle remains the only man to have interviewed Axl Rose for a decade. Where else are you going to get odd situations like that?

DazzlaF1
28th October 2008, 19:23
I like the grid walks. It's car crash telly. Predictable (interviewing Bernie) and cringeworthy these days but there's the expectation of something spontaneously funny to happen - a bit like watching F1 for overtaking or for a goal in football :D

A bit like this occasion

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U386HsT-NaA

I've always enjoyed his grid walks, walking around trying to annoy the a-list guests and a select few drivers, i usually find it quite funny

Tazio
28th October 2008, 19:25
Jens, Do you have a link for Brazil yet?
Preferably one in English.
I can't stand to hear a grown man cry "Valve" :p :

V12
29th October 2008, 01:47
I admit I hated any grid walks when Brundle interviewed Bernie, or a celebrity other than someone who was there because they genuinely gave a toss (e.g. George Harrison) but some of them have been gems, like Brazil 2006 (Kimi's "I was having a s**t" retort to the Schuey/Pele thing). I'd like to think they'd be kept and, the less orchestrated, the better.

Ranger
29th October 2008, 02:37
I admit I hated any grid walks when Brundle interviewed Bernie, or a celebrity other than someone who was there because they genuinely gave a toss (e.g. George Harrison) but some of them have been gems, like Brazil 2006 (Kimi's "I was having a s**t" retort to the Schuey/Pele thing). I'd like to think they'd be kept and, the less orchestrated, the better.

Yes but who else can Martin interview when none of the drivers present him the opportumity to talk?

V12
29th October 2008, 09:50
Yes but who else can Martin interview when none of the drivers present him the opportumity to talk?

There's 20 drivers on the grid chances are SOME will talk to him - I'm more interested in what one of the midfielders or even backmarkers have to say than some random celeb. I know physically walking down the grid would maybe take too much time but I remember him interviewing the likes of Coulthard and Button from further back before. Or hell even one of the other team members around the car, team boss or whoever has a spare minute. Somebody actually relevant basically.

Mark
29th October 2008, 11:11
tbh I'd rather the grid walk did talk to the likes of the mechanics etc, people that you wouldn't normally hear from otherwise.

ShiftingGears
29th October 2008, 11:13
I'm not sure who dictates who Martin talks to - I'm sure that he otherwise wouldn't target so many celebrities. Maybe that'll be one of the changes at the BBC.

Dave B
29th October 2008, 11:29
Get Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross to do the celeb interviews... oh perhaps not. :p

Knock-on
29th October 2008, 11:50
Get Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross to do the celeb interviews... oh perhaps not. :p

Something along the lines of:

"Ere, Bernie, I've shagged your Daughter cause I'm a sex addict" <Guffaw>

"Sworry abwout that Bwernie... But she mwust have bween a gwood Fwuck" <Childish snigger>

Mark
29th October 2008, 12:23
I'm not sure who dictates who Martin talks to - I'm sure that he otherwise wouldn't target so many celebrities. Maybe that'll be one of the changes at the BBC.

I'd be quite sure it is Martin himself.

DazzlaF1
29th October 2008, 22:19
This brings back memories, The BBC's farewell montage from 1996

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_vKIohaQpMI&feature=related

woody2goody
29th October 2008, 23:40

I'd not laughed so much in a long time with the Kimi thing in Brazil. It was amazing.

Ranger
2nd November 2008, 00:11
Brilliantly cheesy final ITV montage. Love it how they take the piss outta themselves with the ad-break! Good stuff. :D

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6HO7j2EC_dI

aryan
2nd November 2008, 09:03
You liked it? Really? I thought it was rather lame. I was expecting something better really...

Still, I liked the fact that they acknowledged that it was their last GP.

Knock-on
2nd November 2008, 09:14
Very good. Nice to see all the teams and drivers give them a good sign off.

Dave B
2nd November 2008, 10:21
Brilliantly cheesy final ITV montage. Love it how they take the piss outta themselves with the ad-break! Good stuff. :D

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6HO7j2EC_dI
Cheesy indeed, but good to see James Allen miming to "you can't break me", bless him.

Daniel
2nd November 2008, 19:12
Please let the door hit you on the way out. You won't be missed!

SteveA
2nd November 2008, 19:21
Don't forget Blundell, wot won't be missed neiver ;)

m.lowe
2nd November 2008, 19:25
I thought they did an excellent job
Steve is an excellent commentator even as far back as the commentating on the Shell Oils British Rally Championship with the BBC

Spoonbender
2nd November 2008, 19:26
She's already got a job with Honda TV on their website (Louise that is not James :) )

Daniel
2nd November 2008, 19:28
Blundell's English isn't the best but I think his comments have been very good throughout the year and I wouldn't be unhappy if he worked for the BBC next year but I doubt it.

Rocsta
2nd November 2008, 19:29

Yeah I liked his little dig at the BBC getting coverage for next year, saying that it probably wouldn't be as good.

Hmmm now let me think, possibly in HD, more than likely will get all practice sessions at least on the red button, no commercial breaks and best of all no cock or Blundell

VkmSpouge
2nd November 2008, 19:38
ITV have done a decent job with their F1 coverage over the years. Still Ted Kravitz should be free to present the BTCC for 2009...*sigh*

ShiftingGears
3rd November 2008, 04:39
They've done a solid job.

DonnieDarco
3rd November 2008, 08:22
No James Allen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA :D :D

On the downside, if the Beeb bow to pressure there might not be anymore Martin Brundle which would be horrible, plus we might have to contend with DC commentating which would be my worst nightmare come true - aside from Allen returning, obviously :D

Mark
3rd November 2008, 08:25
Cheesy indeed, but good to see James Allen miming to "you can't break me", bless him.

Glad I'm not the only one to have noticed that :p . A reference to all the flak he's gotten over the years, no doubt!

acescribe
3rd November 2008, 08:49
Steve Rider will be missed, he is one of the most experienced and competent sports presenters around.

The rest, well, probably not - especially James Allen as I have stated on the other ITV thread. Lets hope that Mad Max doesnt get his own way on Brundle, but Eddie Jordan's name being thrown into the mix leads me to think we could have DC commentating and EJ analysing....

Triumph
3rd November 2008, 09:03
It's essential that Martin Brundle survives the move back to the BBC! Has anything been confirmed either way?

Out of the current team, if I had to choose a co-presenter for Martin Brundle it would have to be Ted Kravitz.

I didn't really like James Allen that much. I found his voice very irritating.

philipbain
3rd November 2008, 09:04
WOOOOO HOOOOO - after 12 years of bloody ad breaks ruining F1 we'll finally get to see the races in full. Good riddance ITV, no matter how much effort they put into thier coverage it doesnt matter as long as they had those bloody ad breaks, they ruined everything!

PS. I'm sure the BBC will do an excellent job, they are probably the world's finest broadcaster in all honesty.

philipbain
3rd November 2008, 09:10
I won't miss James "i'm such a cock that I even called my own son friggin Enzo" Allen to be honest, as for Louise and Ted, i'm utterly indifferent, I never found them to be particulary offensive. I will miss Mark "git orf me barra" Blundell for his horendous mudering of the English language in his analysis, it always added a gramatically poor comedy element to the coverage.

V12
3rd November 2008, 09:19
Have to say I didn't enjoy the My Chemical Toilet montage, was nothing on BBC's 1996 one (it's on YouTube I think).

OMG no more "Lift Me Up" either!! :D what pillock ever decided that would be suited to a motor racing intro?

Mark
3rd November 2008, 11:03
"Lift me up , Lift me up, Higher than the wombats, now" .. What's that wasn't the lyrics? :confused:

acescribe
3rd November 2008, 11:04
It's essential that Martin Brundle survives the move back to the BBC! Has anything been confirmed either way?

No there hasnt, but its no secret that the FIA are turning a screw in the background regarding Brundle.

AndyL
3rd November 2008, 13:34
No there hasnt, but its no secret that the FIA are turning a screw in the background regarding Brundle.

I hope they resist it. I pay my licence fee so that the BBC doesn't have to be subservient to vested interests.