Am curious what peoples involement in the sport is on the forum:

Compete?

Spectate?

Service/crew?

Watch on telly?

Manage a team?

Sponsor?

Officiate?

Tristan Kent, Driver/17yo. Been competing for 5 years now. Been around it since I was born. Started Navving at age of 12 and driving 3 days after my 17th (20th Aug 08)

Langdale Forest
21st October 2008, 20:09
I watch all the WRC events on TV and YouTube but I marshall at most of the local rallies.

SubaruNorway
21st October 2008, 21:19
I make my own video's from rallies in Norway.

http://videos.streetfire.net/uploaded/SubaruNorway.htm

And like to share video's
http://videos.streetfire.net/uploaded/TheRallyChannel.htm

HaCo
21st October 2008, 21:26
Spectate and watch on tv. :)

shurik
22nd October 2008, 07:00
compete, spectate & service + small amount of engineering. Spectating is my best perk atm due to lack of money :(

ProRally
22nd October 2008, 07:48
Untill mid 2007 used to manage a team but became to much stress.
Now still involved in all kind of motorsports as consultant and manage 2 drivers.
1 in rally and 1 on circuit
Lot less stress in my life now and still enjoy the motorsports

raybak
22nd October 2008, 13:03
I codrive, drive, service, officiate also on the car club committee. Very much into the sport, managing to get to about 20 rallies a year. Will be running my own rally next year, a round of the ACT series. Have even done a WRC round and hold the record for the first person to DNF 3 times in the one event, was the first Super Rally event :(

I have been involved in rallying for nearly 10 years after converting circuit racing.

Cheers

Ray Baker

ST205GT4
22nd October 2008, 13:37
Currently building up an Evo IX GT for tarmac rallying.

At the moment I do a lot of club level motorsport such as hill climbs, motorkhanas and sprints. Have also done a round of the Dutton Rally series here in Australia although calling them a Rally is drawing a pretty long bow.

Have marshalled at Rally Australia.

Have also worked as official photographer at a number of rallys both in Australia and the US.

urabus-denoS2000
22nd October 2008, 14:23
Spectating and recording for my collection,sometimes ending up on a friends website.
I am an official photographer and journalist sometimes in selected rallies

L5->R5/CR
22nd October 2008, 15:40
Vary from freelance, to team, to event/official photographer at some rallies.

Do some promotional consultation and work for a couple of teams here in the US and have helped service and prep cars before events for some teams.

Also work as a series founder/organizer for a smallish clubman program in my home state and occasionally end up doing some journalist work covering rallying for different media outlets.

Livewireshock
22nd October 2008, 16:08
Grew up in around dirt track speedway racing but eventually saw the light and migrated to rallying.

Started off spectating in Australia and New Zealand, then with the aid of this very forum, I became involved in servicing for various cars and people across Australia.

Most recently, I have become involved with helping with the officials side of things with the 2009 WRC Repco Rally Australia to be held close to where I live.

Other wise a regular rally gypsy, will rally for food!!!! Actually will do it, just for the sniff of race-spec Elf.

TKM Jnr
23rd October 2008, 11:20
I codrive, drive, service, officiate also on the car club committee. Very much into the sport, managing to get to about 20 rallies a year. Will be running my own rally next year, a round of the ACT series. Have even done a WRC round and hold the record for the first person to DNF 3 times in the one event, was the first Super Rally event :(

I have been involved in rallying for nearly 10 years after converting circuit racing.

Cheers

Ray Baker

Yeah, you nav for me :D

br21
23rd October 2008, 16:08
logistics, coordination, codriving...

Tom206wrc
23rd October 2008, 17:21
I follow all WRC rounds on internet(internet spectator) since 1999 :p :

bluuford
23rd October 2008, 19:10
I follow all WRC rounds on internet(internet spectator) since 1999 :p :

Same here + visiting almost all (usually 6 out of seven rallies) Estonian rallies every year. And as a hobby do the local weather forecast for photographers :-)

ChickenMcNugget
23rd October 2008, 20:56
I am simply an all-round rally anorak (I won't go into much more detail than that!) who occasionally spectates at Rally GB and the odd local rallycross event. 'Tis all. :p I am an artist and current student, so time and budget constraints don't lend to much more relevant activity than that.

urabus-denoS2000
23rd October 2008, 21:18
Forgot to add that I follow almost all rallies in Croatia,most of the rallies in Slovenia and some rallies in Italy,Hungary and Austria

PLuto
23rd October 2008, 22:14
I am doing almost everything around rally http://www.bahno.cz/minismile/ms_1816.gif

wrc_flipper
25th October 2008, 12:58
Follow the WRC on Internet and travel to at 2-3 European events each year, plus Wales for my sins - glad its off the calendar for 2009, hope it will give them a kick to improve well everything!!
Write articles for rallybuzz.com and occasional Motorsport/Motoring podcast for FelixstoweRadio. And run rallyprogrammes.com!

MrJan
25th October 2008, 14:45
Compete in sprints (sadly not rallying as I'm far too likely to have many expensive repair bills), only started this year

Spectate rallying locally at as many levels as possible, very rarely bother with the WRC though because it's expensive for not much more excitement than your standard national rally so I watch it on TV.

Saabaru
26th October 2008, 02:08
Build cars and spectate...

Jonesi
26th October 2008, 03:36
Am curious what peoples involement in the sport is on the forum:

Compete? 32 years on TSD, Monte Carlo & Gimmick rallyes.

Service/crew? Have done that a couple of times on Performance events.

Watch on telly? Kind of find it boring on TV unless it's Dakar.

Officiate? Yes, generally stage/control Capt or scoring on Performance events. Rallyemaster, Rallyechairman, Official prechecker on TSD, Monte Carlo & Gimmick rallyes.

TKM
26th October 2008, 10:21
Have been involved in the sport since 1980. Help out as an official in anything from club events to international event ranging from road closures to Clerk of Course.

Have been competing (as a driver) since 1984, mostly in old Datsuns, but my current car is a Mitsubishi Lancer evo 3.

Do most of the preparation on my own vehicles and my son’s (TKM Jnr) who is currently running my old Subaru RX Turbo.

If I’m not competing or officiating, then I’m usually servicing. Rarely get to spectate (live), as I’m usually too busy doing everything else. Looking forward to the WRC coming to the east coast of Australia where I can get to see it more often.

Love the sport and watch as much rallying on TV, video, and DVD as I can from all over the world, be it WRC, IRC, BRC, ARC, APRC, Rally America, or just plain old club rallying.

Predominantly involved in real rallying (dirt), but have driven the 00 car in a couple of tarmac sprint events (Mt Buller and Lake Mountain) which was quite enjoyable. If I were to ever do it as a competitor it would have to be in some sort of classic high horsepower RWD car in order to get my sideways fix.

pino
26th October 2008, 12:39
I've competed (as codriver) in the 70ies and have followed WRC ever since, spectating 3/4 events every year, collecting rally-models/book/videos...and wasting my time in here :p : ;)

Micke_VOC
27th October 2008, 13:20
Have been involved in the sport from when i was really young , going out with my father on local rallies and swedish rally every year.

Year 2000 i begin driving rally in a Volvo 240 in sweden.
Also have done codrivning all the time.

Have been mechanic in a lot of teams, and now i am photografer and webmaster for a team in sweden.

Also doing a lot of rallies photografing for http://www.motorsport4sale.com

I visting around 25 local rallies every year in sweden and 2-4 wrc events.

J4MIE
27th October 2008, 21:39
Spectate and take photos, go to most events in Scotland and northern England, plus others and a couple of wrc events a year usually.

Next year I will be drastically cutting back though, and only going to events that I really want to do, Sanremo among them of course ;) Booked to go to Norway, but also want to go to Cyprus as well :D

pino
28th October 2008, 05:49
Ups I forgot to add that I also collect Rally/Media-Pass...and Rally-Caps :D

duff
28th October 2008, 22:26
Followed the WRC (an dthen everything else rally) since '95.
Co-driven in local championships since 2000
Driven in local championships since 2002

Alink2
29th October 2008, 09:00
I'm a journalist for Rally Results magazine, and cover the WRC, IRC and ERC. Plus interviews with drivers, team managers, car tests etc..

Pretty much a rally every week. Best rally of my year is still Ypres. Not as classic as the old days - my first was 1979 when Tony Pond won in a TR7 V8.

Paul

Audimadgeoff
29th October 2008, 18:29
I'm a photographer, motorsport journalist and pr consultant primarily, but also do all the logistics and co-ordination for Geoff Jones Motorsport.

Have assisted in organising events back home in Zimbabwe, and have recently begun competing - driving and co-driving, with a class podium on my debut.

I also do road tests and write reports for a number of motoring mags.

Over and above all of the above I am forming a junior rallying team for 2009 where we'll run a couple of 14 year olds in the UK.

So far this year I have attended over 30 rallies and numerous tests.

Daniel
30th October 2008, 08:36
Forgive me Geoff but it sounds like you'll be rallying 14 year olds and not cars :p

I mainly spectate but for a couple of years I did a bit of photography for a rally site at Rally Australia. Twas fun but i'm a bit bored with it all now if i'm honest.

Audimadgeoff
30th October 2008, 14:08
Forgive me Geoff but it sounds like you'll be rallying 14 year olds and not cars :p

I mainly spectate but for a couple of years I did a bit of photography for a rally site at Rally Australia. Twas fun but i'm a bit bored with it all now if i'm honest. :( oops - we'll be running 14 years in F1000 rally cars! ;)

J4MIE
30th October 2008, 20:43
:( oops - we'll be running 14 years in F1000 rally cars! ;)

I know they're not the quickest cars around but that's just rediculous!! ;)

OldF
18th November 2008, 13:25
I’m a rally fan. I got interested in rallying when Timo Mäkinen won the 1965 Monte. The enthusiasm lasted for 5-6 years. In the beginning of the 80s my interest aroused again and since then I’ve been following up from TV, magazines and internet.

The season 2008-2009 is the third season for me as a co-driver in radio orienteering (short-wave receivers / transmitters) contests. This years Uki-ralli was also the third time I was selling tickets there to earn some money for our society.

http://www.suola.fi/?q=node/6

Google translation.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.suola.fi%2F%3Fq%3Dnod e%2F6&hl=fi&ie=UTF-8&sl=fi&tl=en