PDA

View Full Version : 2009 ALMS Speculation

dj4monie
21st October 2008, 04:22
According to Murphy's latest blog post - http://murphythebear.com/blog/index.php/2008/10/20/97-a-spyder-farewell-more-coupes-the-2009-grid-is/#more-274

He expects 20-25 cars for the sprint races. Given the bottom has not dropped yet (experts say mid 2009 when second wave of interest rates peak) he doesn't have much hope for more entires and neither do I.

But I'll go ahead and put up WHO I think will show up

P1/LMP1 -

(2) Audi Sport North American (Champion Racing)
(1) Acura/HPD Sirius/XM/Panasonic
(1) Acura/HDP Patron Forbes Highcroft

Your race winners will come from one of these four cars

Of those that might get a 2nd or 3rd place finish but not constantly threaten for wins -

(1) Corsa/Zytek

This jives with Murphy's feeling of 5-6 cars in P1.

P2/LMP2 -

(1) Acura/HPD Lowe's Fernandez
(2) Mazda Sport/Lola - BP
(2) Mazda Sport/Lola - Therford/Norcold
*(1) 2nd Acura/HPD

So LMP2 will shrink from 4-5 potential race winners and overall winners to 5-6 cars total, disappointing...

GT1 is dead after Mid Ohio, Murphy seems to think that's the race (#5 of 11 in the season) where the new GT2 (2010 spec) Corvette will make its debt.

GT2 -

Tafel is was being coy with Radio Le Mans during open testing for the final race (which they won).

I know Ferrari is planning some pretty interesting changes to the 430 GT2 including the rumor of using wider/larger GT1 rear tires, much like the 911/997 GT3 RSR and Direct Injection for the new 4.0L engine which will improve power/torque and economy.

As one of the two openly available competitive GT2 cars on the market and Tony Dowe's glowing review of his relationship with Michelotto at the start of the season, I doubt they'll be making the jump to another car....

I am a fan of the 430 and I still believe its the car to beat even with Porsche's improvements to the RSR. 2008 FIA GT Championship, 2008 LMS GT2 Championship, 2nd in the ALMS, most victories in the ALMS, LMS and FIA GT and defending Le Mans GT2 Champion (1-2 finish at Le Mans), confirms that...

I don't think much will change as Ferrari also has the quickest drivers under its umbrella - G. Bruni, J. Melo & R. Bell

Tafel might loose Dirk Muller to the RLR BMW M3 effort since Muller's ties to BMW run pretty deep.

Radio Le Mans/Mid Week Motorsports has speculated and pretty much says that 3 time WTCC Champion for BMW, Andy Priaulx will join RLR. Other rumored drivers for that team -

Jorg Muller
Augusto Farfus
Joey Hand
Bill Auberlen

We might loose both Ford GT's and Lord Drayson will run the LMS next season. Looks like Primetime's funding for a P2 has fell through so it looks like another season of development for the Viper Competition Coupe. PTG will continue updated Panoz.

Porsche is all over the place actually....

I expect most of the key players to return as far as drivers are concerned. The same amount of factory supported cars will remain the same.

Flying Lizard will drop its 3rd car (its pretty much been confirmed that the 3rd car was for just one season) and run two cars, not sure how that works out with 5 competitive drivers and only 2 cars.

FBL will take on a second car and have access to factory drivers.

I think the Porsche Driver lineup for North America will look slightly different, I'll take a stab at it -

Jorg Bergmeister - Flying Lizards
Wolf Hezler - Unknown
Patrick Pilet - Unknown
Richard Westbrook - Farnbacher-Loles (i'm pretty sure about this one)
Jorg Hardt - Farnbacher-Loles

Mark Lieb is finished with his studies I believe, so he might be ready to a full time NA assignment.

Of course we won't know anything until Porsche announces its intentions sometime in Dec or Jan, usually around the Essen Motor Show. But I think you can use PEN on Westbrook and FBL...

Please discuss....

Claus Hansen
22nd October 2008, 11:37
I think your more or less spot on...
I would love to see Corvette due the same as Aston Martin, and run a GT1 engine in a LMP1 car... A yellow Lola, that could be something...
The Acura, i cant wait to see it, the LMP2 car is stunning to look at !
GT2 does not intrest me, but its nice to roadcars racing !

wedge
22nd October 2008, 12:52
Nice to see Paul Drayson back racing next year. I thought he was going back into politics full time.

Priaulx should be in the M3s next year. He's got nothing left to prove in WTCC as a multiple champ.

LMGT2 is going to be awesome. Is RLR running LM next year. Can't remember if they said they were concentrating on ALMS.

Funks
22nd October 2008, 20:08
I'll be astonished if there isn't an RS Spyder in P2 somewhere....

Scuderia ferrari
24th October 2008, 08:07
Nice to see Paul Drayson back racing next year. I thought he was going back into politics full time.

Priaulx should be in the M3s next year. He's got nothing left to prove in WTCC as a multiple champ.

LMGT2 is going to be awesome. Is RLR running LM next year. Can't remember if they said they were concentrating on ALMS.

I doubt he'd go running to ALMS. If anywhere it would be BTCC or LMS if he moved, but i highly doubt it

The car entries in the prototype field are appallingly low. They should take a leaf out of the LMS's book.

wedge
24th October 2008, 11:26
I doubt he'd go running to ALMS. If anywhere it would be BTCC or LMS if he moved, but i highly doubt it

Why?

I'd thought Priaulx would rather stay with BMW jump into a BMW factory team in BTCC but can't see it happening yet.

Endurance racing is the next level up after Touring Cars. ALMS is far more lucrative, GT1 is dying and the 'Vettes are moving down to GT2 and the competition has been extremely close every year.

Unless Priaulx he has aspirations for prototypes then I can see him breaking ties with BMW.

Sleeper
24th October 2008, 11:41

No chance of RLR at Le Mans next year, the car is built to the ALMS GT2S rules, which arent legal for Le Mans. There are some discussions about how to accomidate cars like the M3 into GT2 for 2010, though.

I hope Dyson, Andretti-Green and Fernandez can take the fight to the P1's again next year but at the moment Porsche's prototype programe looks ratehr shakey on both sides of the Atlantic with no one confirmed to race them.

courageous
1st November 2008, 14:40
Drayson can't do LMS or Le Mans unless they change the rules - ACO doesn't allow blind drivers (Yes, Paul is blind in one eye!)

wmcot
3rd November 2008, 07:40
I'll be surprised if Penske isn't back with Porsche. He seems to thrive on domination!

Tom206wrc
3rd November 2008, 22:51
BK Motorsport is stopping the ALMS as team boss David Bach has decided to retire :(

Who will run the Lola Mazda Coupé now :confused:

anthonyvop
8th November 2008, 02:33
I'll be surprised if Penske isn't back with Porsche. He seems to thrive on domination!

Got the word today.

Penske will race Grand-Am in 2009(no word if the entire season of just a few selected races).

Then he will return to the ALMS in 2010 as the "factory" Porsche LMP1 team

Tom206wrc
11th November 2008, 12:06
Pedro Lamy to run 09ALMS in BMW GT2 ??? :confused:

F1boat
12th November 2008, 06:57
Got the word today.

Penske will race Grand-Am in 2009(no word if the entire season of just a few selected races).

That's interesting...

wmcot
12th November 2008, 07:26
Got the word today.

No offense, but Grand-Am seems to be a step down for Penske.

dj4monie
16th November 2008, 08:03
I can't see Lamy driving a GT2 car as he's a paid driver for "The Lion" and I don't expect him to be dropped from the team.

I expect Dyson who's playing its cards close, to pick up Lola's powered by Mazda engines and run around in P2. I don't think he's interested in spending the cubic dollars needed to compete with Acura/HPD and Audi Sport.

That still leaves the original BK car(s) going forward. I expect somebody maybe a current Indy Car team to pick up that, if maybe BP stays as a sponsor or moves onto Dyson, who's already got tire deal in place.

No further news on HPD's 2nd P2 car. Honda isn't doesn't have any money problems, but a team might find it hard to find a sponsor for a complete season, unless it was successful already, stay tuned.

I still see 10-12 Prototypes on the grid full season and up to 16-17 cars at Sebring, Petit and Laguna Seca.

ALMS stands at 11 races currently but I wouldn't be shocked if it picked up one more venue.

GT1 - Dead

GT2 -

Even with GM's money issues, I don't think this effects Corvette Racing, because I think GM finally understands what Porsche has always known, racing improves the breed and as long as people continue to buy every Corvette built and as long as the Corvette Group's advert budget isn't slashed, they should be fine for a full season and keep its plans as stated before. I think they already knew how cash strapped GM was before the media got wind of it.

The only confirmations not to come yet -

Tafel (not sure where they get their money from....)

Confirmed from available information -

Risi - Tracy Krohn has said as much that he would like to return to Le Mans and isn't worried about money. I think Risi gets enough money from his sponsors and as long as the 2nd car is driven by paid drivers he should return with two car effort. What's not know is who will drive really.

Salo has said he is staying with Risi after talks with NASCAR teams not going as planned. That doesn't mean we won't see Mika in Cup or Nationwide car next year, he's most likely been promised just a Bush ride and if he's successful (Top 5 Finish, Pole, Top 10 Finish) he might get a shot at one of the Cup events. But since Nationwide's only two road course events come in the 2nd half of the season in Aug, he'll miss the Sears Point round of the Cup series, ONE would think.

Anyway could be Melo/Salo and Bell/Bruni - Just reading that should put a shudder in the competition...

No news on BMW's driver line up yet. Macau is this weekend and its pretty much been confirmed by several people in the know, that BMW's Factory WTCC effort is over and that BMW is lobbying the ACO to get approval for M3 GT2 since its Saloon/Coupe 4 seat car and the ACO considers those car's not approved for GT2 rules as traditional "Sports Car".

LMS GT2 isn't that deep actually, I could see them approving this as its really only semantics, but might frown on factory involvement in a class traditionally held for limited experienced drivers.

If that happens, that sets up AC Schnitzer (BMW Team Germany/Brazil) to just carry over into LMS GT2 or "The Rat" could approve them for use in his series (FIA GT) so stay tuned for that.

Anything I missed?

Discuss

Bob Riebe
20th November 2008, 05:43
Even with GM's money issues, I don't think this effects Corvette Racing, because I think GM finally understands what Porsche has always known, racing improves the breed and as long as people continue to buy every Corvette built and as long as the Corvette Group's advert budget isn't slashed, they should be fine for a full season and keep its plans as stated before. I think they already knew how cash strapped GM was before the media got wind of it.

In 1971 Henry Ford was in Washington saying something they wanted would cost too much.
The politicians asked him how much he was spending racing.
The next day Ford pulled out of all forms of racing in the U.S. without exception.

Now G.M. is begging Washington for money; how do you think they will reacti if a poitician asks them how much they spend racing?

dj4monie
25th November 2008, 05:31
In 1971 Henry Ford was in Washington saying something they wanted would cost too much.
The politicians asked him how much he was spending racing.
The next day Ford pulled out of all forms of racing in the U.S. without exception.

Now G.M. is begging Washington for money; how do you think they will reacti if a poitician asks them how much they spend racing?

Darn it Bob, you know I can't post on 10 Tenths until next season.... :)

Yes I know Ford shut the doors on its "Total Performance" shop after the 1971 season.

But 9 years later they came roaring back....

Ford out of the Big 3 I feel is in the best shape. They are still out selling Opel/GM in Europe. Opel has gone to the German government for some cash and they said, if you promise NONE of it is going to GM USA we'll let you have it. Didn't seem to stop RML from testing its new Cruze however, even if the Chevy (read: Daewoo) effort is not connected to Opel or GM in America and their racing budget hasn't been cut. In fact GM just opened a new plant in Russia.

Some have said this is a ploy by the Big 3 to get file Chapter 11 so they can re-do its deal with UAW. I watched them both days on C-Span it was amazing that nobody is calling for Rick Wagoneer's head.

All that being said though, Bush does not want to be tagged for crashing the entire Auto Industry in America as suppliers not being paid by either Chrysler, Ford or GM wouldn't be able to make payroll or other needs because of the credit freeze and thus BMW, Hyundai Toyota, Honda and Benz would all be effected in various ways that would impact the plants and jobs I'm sure.

They'll get the infusion of cash, but what strings are attached too it are for another post.

This won't effect Corvette Racing, as their budget was basically baked into the cake. Remember they get help from Compuware and other sponsors its not just GM writing the checks.

In fact I would day the cars might change color and sport e85 decals if it came to that, Ethanol has not confirmed returning to Rahal/Letterman for next season.

With IRL on Versus of all things I think the Ethanol board might opt for a series that is on OTA TV more often than IRL which currently only looks like Long Beach and Indy on ABC.

Stop replying to my threads man they go off in ten different directions when you do that :)

Bob Riebe
30th November 2008, 06:06
Darn it Bob, you know I can't post on 10 Tenths until next season.... :)

Yes I know Ford shut the doors on its "Total Performance" shop after the 1971 season.

But 9 years later they came roaring back....

Ford out of the Big 3 I feel is in the best shape. They are still out selling Opel/GM in Europe. Opel has gone to the German government for some cash and they said, if you promise NONE of it is going to GM USA we'll let you have it. Didn't seem to stop RML from testing its new Cruze however, even if the Chevy (read: Daewoo) effort is not connected to Opel or GM in America and their racing budget hasn't been cut. In fact GM just opened a new plant in Russia.

Some have said this is a ploy by the Big 3 to get file Chapter 11 so they can re-do its deal with UAW. I watched them both days on C-Span it was amazing that nobody is calling for Rick Wagoneer's head.

All that being said though, Bush does not want to be tagged for crashing the entire Auto Industry in America as suppliers not being paid by either Chrysler, Ford or GM wouldn't be able to make payroll or other needs because of the credit freeze and thus BMW, Hyundai Toyota, Honda and Benz would all be effected in various ways that would impact the plants and jobs I'm sure.

They'll get the infusion of cash, but what strings are attached too it are for another post.

This won't effect Corvette Racing, as their budget was basically baked into the cake. Remember they get help from Compuware and other sponsors its not just GM writing the checks.

In fact I would day the cars might change color and sport e85 decals if it came to that, Ethanol has not confirmed returning to Rahal/Letterman for next season.

With IRL on Versus of all things I think the Ethanol board might opt for a series that is on OTA TV more often than IRL which currently only looks like Long Beach and Indy on ABC.

Stop replying to my threads man they go off in ten different directions when you do that :)
There are all kinds of "rumors" popping up in various forums and even the talking heads on TV about what Detroit may or may not do.
A recent one was Chrysler stopping ALL racing activities, but that is just a rumor.
G.M. cutting Tiger's money though DOES make one wonder what is really going on.
Personally, I think the G.M. employees should dig up Roger Smith and hang him in downtown Detroit.
Bob
PS-- With the rhetoric based on ignorance THE OBAMA has spewed about Detroit, it may get nasty.

wedge
7th December 2008, 13:53
Could we be seeing customer R10s after the wake of Audi's 'pull out'?

RacinRandy
8th December 2008, 21:10
Got the word today.

I heard that Penske will return in 2010, but not in a Porsche......Can you say Toyota? The word is out that Toyota wants to win Lemans! This is a rumor, but from a good source on the inside.

wmcot
23rd December 2008, 08:16
I heard that Penske will return in 2010, but not in a Porsche......Can you say Toyota? The word is out that Toyota wants to win Lemans! This is a rumor, but from a good source on the inside.

Seems doubtful with the recent news of Toyota's decline in sales and pending layoffs!

Tom206wrc
10th January 2009, 11:54
No Audi and no Peugeot on the Sebring Winter Test entrylist published yesterday by the IMSA !!!! :eek: :s

Only Acura in LMP1...

Mark in Oshawa
11th January 2009, 20:05
wmcot...but don't be too sure. If Penske is coming back with something.....then it has to be someone who isn't Acura or the Big 3...that doesn't leave a lot of options. Toyota is slowing down..they are NOT on death's door...

wmcot
12th January 2009, 07:50
wmcot...but don't be too sure. If Penske is coming back with something.....then it has to be someone who isn't Acura or the Big 3...that doesn't leave a lot of options. Toyota is slowing down..they are NOT on death's door...

Let's just hope that Penske and others do come back. If not, ALMS could end up being GT2 only...

Oli_M
12th January 2009, 10:55
I would imagine that in both the ALMS and European LMS, we will see just P1, P2 and GT2 very soon. A re-write of the rules for all classes is certainly on the cards, hopefully encouraging more people in all classes. Will GT1 return to its former glory? I honestly think it may not, leaving just one GT class..... but is that really a bad thing?

And as for Toyota - I would certainly not rule them out. The economy may rise and fall, but I have no reason to think that within 4 years grids will be full again, and Toyota may decide this is an ideal opportunity to advertise itself.

Mark in Oshawa
12th January 2009, 22:48
Rumour I heard...and this was on the NASCAR channel and they were talking about the economy and racing was that Jaguar was making noises about coming back to ALMS. Not sure on what class...but Paul Gentilozzi was doing some PR work at the Detroit Auto Show and apprently he is kind of behind it. Not sure how well that would come out.....my opinion of Gentilozzi is pretty well known.......not good...

trumperZ06
13th January 2009, 20:06
:dozey: Jaguar in ALMS ???

They would need a new engine for GT2.

Don't see them in ALMS P1 or P2... doesn't fit their market profile.

wedge
15th January 2009, 00:16
Andy Priaulx still staying in WTCC though according to his Wiki-page he's doing select rounds of ALMS....

dj4monie
16th January 2009, 06:30
The news is coming in fast (well by ALMS standards)

BMW Drivers Confirmed, no WTCC drivers as BMW will continue that problem due to some favorable decisions made by the FIA to ensure competitive racing with the SEAT Diesels. That's for another thread, but let's just say that SEAT just ran a flawless program last year and really only had the faster car at high altitude (Curitiba and Puebla).

With that said, I believe you will see Jorg Muller (Test driver) and Priaulx at Sebring and Petit Le Mans.

Since Hand was signed by BMW, I think we can expect Millner to run his father's Panoz again with the usual suspects at PTG.

Porsche confirmed its US drivers. Wolf is moving over to FBL and Pat Long without a LMP2 ride (Penske only running 1 DP in Grand Am) is going to take his place at Flying Lizard in the lead 997.

Tafel closed its doors effectively leaving just ONE competitive Ferrari F430 with the extra competition to come from Chevy and BMW. There's a rumor a new Ferrari team might appear.

Speaking of Ferrari, CRS has confirmed its driver lineup for the FIA GT Championship and Rob Bell is one of them. With FIA and LMS, looks like no ALMS events for Rob. AF Corse has not confirmed its driver line up, this will be key as to who will join Jamie Melo in the lead Risi car. With Bell out, it leaves Vilander or Bruni. Either way there will be seats to fill, especially if that second Ferrari team comes to life in the ALMS.

The Winter Test entry has been released. No Ferrari's on it. BMW will be there and so will LG. I bet LG will be testing parts for GM Racing...

So we're about 2 months away from the start of the 2009 ALMS season. With the reduced car count, I think people are overtly worried about a bad season. I think you'll be surprised how well the LMP2's go as I don't think the new LMP1 Acura will be sorted until after the break for Le Mans. I expect the Fernandez Acura to be very competitive at the two early season street races.

I'm not sure where Dyson's new Mazda program fits into this yet, we won't know how good the Mazda/Lola Coupe combo is until Winter Testing really, if results in Europe are anything to go by, it should be at least competitive with the Acura(s) and be fairly quick at Mosport and Road America.

No sour grapes, the season will be fine, a bit muted but fine overall. I think you'll start to see a rebound in 2011 actually as car companies should return to profitability by that time.

Claus Hansen
24th January 2009, 13:29
Hmmm, dont like the sound of this, only 2 LMP1 cars, and 2 LMP2 cars at the winter test, a second Lola Mazda at the 12hrs, but what else, is there moore LMP cars in the US ! Sports car racing is much about privat running teams ! Last year the where 20 LMP cars at Petit... Tough times indeed :o (

Claus Hansen
24th January 2009, 20:05
Just wonder, will Intersport and Autocon not return this year ?

chryby
27th January 2009, 08:24
aston martin will be compete with two factory cars P1 in LMS 2009:

http://astonmartin.com/thecompany/news?a=05eff989-79e7-4dcc-9857-e9312652746e

wedge
5th February 2009, 14:07
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73125

Marcel Fassler in at Corvette factory team. Not a huge surprise there but I feel a bit bad for FIA GT series because they've lost a top driver.

Tom206wrc
17th February 2009, 08:51
Entrylist for next month's Sebring ;)

http://www.imsaracing.net/2009/events/sebring/2009%20ALMS%20Sebring%20Entries.pdf

wbcobrar
9th March 2009, 01:38
Looks like Intersport sold one of its Lola B06/10AER's to Autocon so they can continue to look sexy behind the faster GT2 cars .

Bob Riebe
9th March 2009, 03:05
2009 ALMS Speculation
If they do not open the rules, ditch the ACO and worry about U.S. cars. teams and fans, by 2011 PHhht.

Jag_Warrior
9th March 2009, 04:34
Rumour I heard...and this was on the NASCAR channel and they were talking about the economy and racing was that Jaguar was making noises about coming back to ALMS. Not sure on what class...but Paul Gentilozzi was doing some PR work at the Detroit Auto Show and apprently he is kind of behind it. Not sure how well that would come out.....my opinion of Gentilozzi is pretty well known.......not good...

That's the closest thing to good news I've read lately. Jaguar belongs at Le Mans, or at the very least, in sports car racing.

DavePI2
22nd March 2009, 19:34
now that sebring is over what can be a realistic outlook to the rest of the year as far as # of entries for the rest of the races. We had 31 entries at midohio last year and only 26 at sebring this year. I know all the reasons that doesn't change the fact that it is bad. I am crossing my fingers 7 prototypes will show up at midohio which would be the same as were at most races in 05. I can live with that. If there is a lower amount then that though I don't know if it is worth even running the races no matter how many gt2 cars show up. We have the speed gt challenge if all we want to watch is that.

david

Danske
23rd March 2009, 00:08
Ouch. Robin Miller said on the Speed Report that the rumor is Honda is going to halt the Acura P1 program.

SportscarBruce
23rd March 2009, 04:52
Ouch. Robin Miller said on the Speed Report that the rumor is Honda is going to halt the Acura P1 program.

I'm recording it a bit time-delayed, right now Kevin Buckner is talking about the impressive level of funding that gets wasted on 60+ y/o car technology and the greatest drivers in the world. Does Robin come on after the Grand Am/NASCAR pandering here on the night after 12 hours of intense, grueling, at time bumper to bumper racing at Sebring? Do any of the race winners show up? Should I go wash the dog?

anthonyvop
23rd March 2009, 19:31

Robin Miller has been fired from every job he has ever had. A large percentage of his "inside info" comes from internet message boards.

In fact I can name more than a few times were false info was posted for Miller to steal and claim as his.

F1boat
23rd March 2009, 19:51
I hope that this is not true, the new Acura was lovely. Why would Miller write something like this?

Danske
23rd March 2009, 21:04
I hope that this is not true, the new Acura was lovely. Why would Miller write something like this?
The most simple explanation is that it was a rumor he did actually hear while covering the ICS Barber test, and that could be exactly how he reported it. I don't recall his exact wording in his from-Barber TV report.

anthonyvop
23rd March 2009, 21:44
Why?
because Miller longs for the day when the Indy 500 was king. He considers himself the ultimate Indy guy. Anything that would support his position whether true or false is fair game to him.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd March 2009, 23:42
Why?
because Miller longs for the day when the Indy 500 was king. He considers himself the ultimate Indy guy. Anything that would support his position whether true or false is fair game to him.

I don't think he is doing it to be hateful. I do think someone who has a little pull was speculating on this and Miller put it out. HE prints the odd rumour. Doens't mean Acura is gone. I hope not, that is one interesting car and I am really curious to see how it does when it hits Mosport this August.

Danske
28th March 2009, 00:03
Ah, the ALMS is adding the Porsche GT3 Cup cars from the IMSA Patrón GT3 Challenge series to the races starting with Miller:

In an effort to promote the brightest and best of a new generation of sports car drivers, the American Le Mans Series announced today that it will open its grid for five races in 2009 to the crème de la crème of GT3 and Challenge level drivers.

jslone
28th March 2009, 03:14
there well be some good races this year in all classes except gt1.there Corvette well be by themselves.

rob01
30th March 2009, 00:17
no change for corvette for a couple more races GT1 but GT2 should bring them a bit more of a challenge.

why are the are ALMS only allowing the GT3 porsches? are they different regs to the porsches that run in european GT3?

DavePI2
30th March 2009, 01:58
I am a huge alms fan. I go to midohio every year to see the race but it obvious why they are adding gt3, car count. I am glad they are doing it but it is sad it has to be done. Hopefully by august things will look better.

david

DavePI2
8th April 2009, 02:23
sorry if this has been brought up before in previous posts but the entry list for long beach is up. It includes autocon and the 2 vette gt1's. Does anyone know if autocon is in for the whole season now or selected races? Also is this the only race for the vettes or will there be more? I hope to see all these cars at midohio.

david

F1boat
8th April 2009, 06:41
It is good that the car count is up. Go ALMS :)

Danske
8th April 2009, 16:34
Also is this the only race for the vettes or will there be more? I hope to see all these cars at midohio.
Long Beach is the last race in the ALMS for the GT1 Corvettes. The reported plan is for the GT2 P&M Corvettes to appear at Mid-Ohio.

dj4monie
17th April 2009, 06:36
As fans I know we like car count, but frankly I don't like the "scrubs" to get in the way of the "action", which they tend too. With a smaller car count, the Corvette's will mostly get in the way of the P2 cars.

The end of the GT2 race where Muller used all his "blocking" tricks from his ETCC/WTCC days to keep both FL cars behind him for Tafel's 2nd victory in a row was great.

I hope we see that again.

Said in the LG Corvette should be interesting. If they make the correct call on tire compound and don't go backwards like they did at St Pete, it should be interesting from 1st to about 6th place as the Ford GT will fade once Robertson makes into the car.

Nice to see VICI return and get a big time sponsor (by ALMS standards) in my personal carrier T-Mobile (I have a G1).

We need at least one more Ferrari. What happen to Risi was freak but one has to wonder if they found all "bugs" they had last year. I think it was freak and I believe they will return to victory lane here.

Tom206wrc
21st June 2009, 21:34
So Peugeot with probably two 908s at PLM and Laguna Seca :cool:

dj4monie
25th June 2009, 03:06
Well Murphy as been honest and I like that. I really hope the worst is behind the ALMS and if we finish up strong with car counts, good TV numbers and solid attendance (at Mid Ohio, Lime Rock, Laguna and Mosport) we'll be back next year. Road America isn't doing there part and the ALMS should really work with the IRL as they are both struggling for viewership. VS has been a disaster thus far but I they are in it for the long haul.

We'll see how it all shakes out, Speed just re-upped for the next 3 years to cover Le Mans on TV and online, so I don't see why they would sign that deal without carrying the ALMS in the future as well.

More to come....

harvick#1
25th June 2009, 03:19
I just hope and prey Audi come to Petit, this is one of the main reasons I'm making the trip, I want to here the Diesels, I know Peugeot is going, but if Audi doesn't theres no point to keep track of the race except for P2 and GT2, the overall race is already over

InTTruder
29th August 2009, 12:37
Your praying worked: Audi are here to prey on Peugeot and Acura!