PDA

View Full Version : FIA GT's

rob01
20th October 2008, 17:50
i know the season is one race from being over but ive noticed no one ever talks about the FIA GT championship.
i think its ace.
the cars are well turned out and the grid sizes are always big and of course its always great racing!

MC12's, DBR9's, Corvette Z06's, Saleen S7's and the odd Murciélago at every race in the GT1 class what more could you want!!!

wedge
20th October 2008, 23:23
Yes its a great series to watch but other than the British round I personally don't follow it seriously compared to Le Mans.

It lacks the prestige of LM and lack of name drivers despite having ex-F1 drivers.

ShiftingGears
21st October 2008, 06:33
Ill definitely try to get a glimpse of them roaring around the San Luis circuit. That circuit looks fantastic.

An undulating 6km circuit around a lake inside an extinct volcano just has to be good.

http://www.automobilsport.com/upload/24hspa-22008/Potrero.jpg

http://www.fiagtsanluis.com/circuito.html

I am very surprised that any championship is adding a circuit like this.

rob01
21st October 2008, 17:37

i think its probably because Stefan Ratel is aiming for it to become a world championship. it does look like a good circuit!

Yes its a great series to watch but other than the British round I personally don't follow it seriously compared to Le Mans.

It lacks the prestige of LM and lack of name drivers despite having ex-F1 drivers.

prestige? it has the spa 24hr as a round of the championship! it does have some great drivers such as Bartels, Wendlinger and Fassler and im sure i read in autosport that fassler has tested with Audi but i may be wrong, im too lazy to get up and check!

wedge
21st October 2008, 22:56
prestige? it has the spa 24hr as a round of the championship! it does have some great drivers such as Bartels, Wendlinger and Fassler and im sure i read in autosport that fassler has tested with Audi but i may be wrong, im too lazy to get up and check!

Spa 24hr will always be regarded as little brother to LM.

ShiftingGears
22nd October 2008, 07:30
i think its probably because Stefan Ratel is aiming for it to become a world championship. it does look like a good circuit!

It's great that they're making it international by going to excellent circuits rather than second rate street circuits. It's a nice change :up:

wedge
22nd October 2008, 12:43
Bucharest may look boring on paper but is rather bumpy and big kerbs which can catch you out and send you into the wall - which is how street racing should be.

Scuderia ferrari
24th October 2008, 08:04
Indeed, i like the FIA GT championship, but i feel it could have some bigger numbers on the grids and also, i prefer prototypes :P

rob01
27th October 2008, 15:24
Spa 24hr will always be regarded as little brother to LM.

well i still think its a great race even if its not as well known as LM =P

wedge
27th October 2008, 16:18
The main gripe now is that apart from Spa its just 2hr races whereas ALMS has a mixture of long and short races.

F1boat
27th October 2008, 16:56
Indeed, i like the FIA GT championship, but i feel it could have some bigger numbers on the grids and also, i prefer prototypes :P

I prefer prototypes as well.

rob01
28th October 2008, 17:05
oh well just me thats really into it then....

Ramore
16th November 2008, 13:04
Since a couple of months I started following GT3, because of the Bulgarian driver Plamen Kralev, but he is moving to GT2 next year, so I guess I will follow that one. I don't really know much about these championships, but they look quite interesting, although ,as someone said, there are no very famous names and the media coverage is not that good. Which one of the GT series are you following?

F1boat
21st November 2008, 20:26
GT is usually a class in a sportscar racing. I follow the ALMS and sometimes the Grand Am series.

wedge
26th November 2008, 14:03
Ill definitely try to get a glimpse of them roaring around the San Luis circuit. That circuit looks fantastic.

An undulating 6km circuit around a lake inside an extinct volcano just has to be good.

http://www.automobilsport.com/upload/24hspa-22008/Potrero.jpg

http://www.fiagtsanluis.com/circuito.html

That is an amazing track!

Reminds me a lot Bathurst; Valencia with sweeping curves and undulationss

:up: :up:

Tom206wrc
31st December 2008, 13:05
In an interview of Stephane Ratel in last week-'s Auto-Hebdo, it's stated that Peugeot-Sport is homologating its former RC Cup car(diesel HDI powered) in the GT4 class to run 2009 FIA GT :eek: :eek: