PDA

View Full Version : Speed and Luizzi will stay

RaikkonenRules
3rd February 2007, 12:13
Luizzi and Speed will be staying at Torro Rosso this year. Apparently the reason why their deals were annouced so late was because Gerhard Berger was disappointed with their attitudes in 2006 and left the annoucement so late in order to put presuure on them to raise their game. :D

ShiftingGears
3rd February 2007, 12:18
Link please :p :

Simmi
3rd February 2007, 12:42
That's what it said in Autosport this week.

RaikkonenRules
3rd February 2007, 16:18
And that's where I got it from

captin 1 VXR
3rd February 2007, 16:45
speed maybe test driver as G B says he not in any rush

Mark in Oshawa
3rd February 2007, 17:05
Like That will change their attitude. Berger should have said "I cant find anyone else I like better who will actually say yes to drive for me, so I guess I will keep these two."

futuretiger9
3rd February 2007, 19:44
There aren't any obvious candidates who are any better than Liuzzi and Speed, and so the team has reluctantly kept them on. That's the cynical view, anyway. Speed probably deserves another season, but at this level you don't always get what you deserve.

jens
3rd February 2007, 20:01
Several youngsters have had problems of having 100% concentration on F1 on their debut season. Tonio and Scott are talented and they deserve another chance to prove themselves as serious racing drivers.

Placid
4th February 2007, 14:59
That is correct. If they want to keep their seats for 2007, they have to concentrate at the job in hand. It is kind of having your child do their homework instead of moping around the house doing nothing but to run around with their toys. For them, it was just being party animals. For Gehard, this was not acceptable.I am very proud to have a US driver back in the grid because I am American. However, to get the respect back as being a race car driver, he has to change or lose faith.

Oh and Scott, 1 more thing: WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST THE BEARS?

agwiii
4th February 2007, 15:54
Luizzi and Speed will be staying at Torro Rosso this year. Apparently the reason why their deals were annouced so late was because Gerhard Berger was disappointed with their attitudes in 2006 and left the annoucement so late in order to put presuure on them to raise their game. :D

:laugh: I am disappointed in Berger's attitude! Long ago, when I posted that this delay was a reflection of lack of management skills, rather than driving skill, I had no idea that Berger would give us such a direct confirmation of his lack of managerial competency! :laugh:

PSfan
4th February 2007, 18:18
Just wondering, does the autosport article resemble this thread: http://champcarnews.motorsportforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113926
in any way?

I still see this more as a stalling tactic. If Berger can get the driver he wants then either Liuzzi or Speed are out of a race seat.

Which raises the question, who are Luizzi and Speed contracted to? And who actually pays them?

Roamy
4th February 2007, 18:40
Berger has offered SB and JV the seats. They are trying to work the deal out around the fact SB and JV will be driving at LeMans. Expect the deal to get done in about two weeks

agwiii
4th February 2007, 18:49
Berger has offered SB and JV the seats. They are trying to work the deal out around the fact SB and JV will be driving at LeMans. Expect the deal to get done in about two weeks

I don't doubt your G2, but do you have a source you can cite for us?

Roamy
5th February 2007, 16:40
yes I do

http://www.iamfullofit.com
or
http://www.boringoffseaonsomakeupsh!t.com

ioan
5th February 2007, 20:36

Well, to SB maybe, but to JV??? :laugh:
I doubt Berger is that stupid! :)

Bagwan
5th February 2007, 22:17
Berger wouldn't be that smart , Ioan .
Kubica , the replacement , will tear the tires to shreds , and Gerhard will have missed his chance to rub Beamer's nose in it , as neither Speed nor Liuzzi will cope any better .
Smooth will rule with the new Bridgestones , and JV was easier on the softs than Heidfeld or Kubica on hards .

But , JV is busy .

ioan
5th February 2007, 23:48
Berger wouldn't be that smart , Ioan .
Kubica , the replacement , will tear the tires to shreds , and Gerhard will have missed his chance to rub Beamer's nose in it , as neither Speed nor Liuzzi will cope any better .
Smooth will rule with the new Bridgestones , and JV was easier on the softs than Heidfeld or Kubica on hards .

But , JV is busy .

Last time I checked this season tires will be harder than last season, and they will even be allowed to change them! So I don't get your point about Kubica, whom by the way did better than JV last season, although in his first few F1 races!
JV was easier on the tires because he was always asleep and never driving the car to its limit.

JV only was good in superior cars, he wouldn't be able to stand the pressure to drive a car at the level of STR.

Roamy
6th February 2007, 01:30
ioan just where will you be if by chance JV win LeMans

oooooh a big ouch for your mono driver cheatmacher

ioan
6th February 2007, 07:41
ioan just where will you be if by chance JV win LeMans

oooooh a big ouch for your mono driver cheatmacher

Don't worry I'll be here!

Bagwan
6th February 2007, 13:03
Last time I checked this season tires will be harder than last season, and they will even be allowed to change them! So I don't get your point about Kubica, whom by the way did better than JV last season, although in his first few F1 races!
JV was easier on the tires because he was always asleep and never driving the car to its limit.

JV only was good in superior cars, he wouldn't be able to stand the pressure to drive a car at the level of STR.

Funny , last I saw , they were intending on requiring teams to use both hard and soft spec during the races .

JV was easier on the tires even though he almost always was on much heavier fuel , due to a smoother driving style . Had the car been reliable at either BAR or BMW , the story would have been rather different .

Kubica will rip them to shreds .

trumperZ06
6th February 2007, 21:02
:D SeeBass is a logical choice if Berger can get him from Champcar.

Sebastian has years of experience winning in Champcar... running Firestone/Bridgestone tires and IMO is capable of competing in Formula 1.

:dozey: JV's best days are behind him... looks like he's likely to do Busch racing (NA$CAR's jr. league), and for sure...LeMans.

;) I see Scot Speed remaining at Toro Rosso... Red Bull wants an American driver in Formula 1 to sell their "brew".

:s mokin: Trumper

ioan
6th February 2007, 23:37
Funny , last I saw , they were intending on requiring teams to use both hard and soft spec during the races .

JV was easier on the tires even though he almost always was on much heavier fuel , due to a smoother driving style . Had the car been reliable at either BAR or BMW , the story would have been rather different .

Kubica will rip them to shreds .

Kubica did better than JV last season, this is why you dislike him so much?

Roamy
7th February 2007, 07:16
really ioan i don't think that is the issue. In fact BMW would have been miles ahead to retain JV and Kubica. We JV fans think he developed the car. So if BMW soars to the front then you can gloat because of the tire change JV has little imput. However if BMW struggles you can chalk that up to development by the drivers.

ArrowsFA1
7th February 2007, 12:24
That's what it said in Autosport this week.
And today they are saying Toro Rosso line-up still open (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56625) :D

Bagwan
7th February 2007, 13:14
Kubica did better than JV last season, this is why you dislike him so much?

You disregarded the point of my post .
Should I assume you could not refute it ?

Make no mistake , Ioan , we JV fans did not want to see Robert do well in his first races , but the reasoning was not about Kubica himself at all .
We wanted to see him fail to spite Mario and BMW .

I like Robert , and think he will go far , but he is green . This year will not be easy on the young . The vets will be at an advantage .

Like the cowboy says , if they rocket to the top , even with the big tunnel and Big Albert , it will go some way to show that JV had less influence than we think .
The engineers will remember what it was like to have a smooth driver on board , and regret losing Jacques , next year .
And , Berger's Newey car , if it rolls , would benefit , and pass the Beamer as it pits early with shredded softs , if it had that smooth driver in the cockpit . Sadly , Gerhard won't likely see it , and it wouldn't likely make a difference anyway , as JV has had enough of the bs already .

It would likely take a full Ferrari ride to bring him back .

They couldn't afford it now , though .

stevie_gerrard
7th February 2007, 13:23
And today they are saying Toro Rosso line-up still open (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56625) :D

Heres the interview in full from the official formula 1 website:

http://www.formula1.com/news/5627.html

jens
7th February 2007, 16:20
Some of you guys are funny.

I know many of you want "old" ones to leave F1 as quickly as possible (GF, RB, JT, RS, DC) and now some of you want an "old" one back? Where is the logic?

Tazio
8th February 2007, 21:11
Heres the interview in full from the official formula 1 website:

http://www.formula1.com/news/5627.html

Interesting article!
Wouldn't it be ironic if one of the other drivers they are considering is Christian Klien!
Personally I think he is faster than VL

RaikkonenRules
8th February 2007, 22:00
Anyone know when the New Torro Rosso car will be launched?

Roamy
8th February 2007, 22:33
as soon as they get a driver

PSfan
9th February 2007, 05:49
Anyone know when the New Torro Rosso car will be launched?

Car could be launched sooner then I later:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
TSN.ca Staff

2/8/2007 2:29:21 PM

Scuderia Toro Rosso have announced that they will hold a launch event for the 2007 season next week in Barcelona.

Under the title "Rome was not built in a day", a press release confirmed that team boss Gerhard Berger and the squad's 2007 drivers would be present on February 13. As for the new STR2, "the car might or might not be ready."

"Scuderia Toro Rosso's 2007 car should be ready very soon, although we are not sure exactly when," read the press release.

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story/?ID=195408&hubname=auto_racing

ArrowsFA1
13th February 2007, 11:52
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56719

Speed left waiting... :dozey:

F1boat
13th February 2007, 12:24
I have a bad feeling about Speed.

Ed
13th February 2007, 12:28
id rather see spedd in the team then Luizzi. Speed always kept himk honsest last year though always seemed to find trouble. I think I just expected more from Luizzi expecially after winiing the F3000 title and after his outing at Red Bull in 2005. He just disapointed me

Placid
13th February 2007, 13:50
I have a bad feeling about Speed.

So do I.

If he loses his ride, then it will take a while to have Charlie Kimball, Marco Andretti and Graham Rahal or another non-famous last name on the grid.

PSfan
13th February 2007, 17:48
Well, If Team Torro really wants Bourdais, Speed is probably the best trade bait they have (Him and Money, but not sure if they have enough of that.)

Nikki Katz
13th February 2007, 18:11
At this late stage I have no idea who they'd replace Speed with though. It would have to be either one of the other Red Bull drivers or a pay driver. Unless they're very very nice to Newman-Haas.

Bagwan
13th February 2007, 18:41
If Toro asks Bourdais , they look better to Marco .
Speed and Marco carry the same flag .

2+2=

trumperZ06
13th February 2007, 18:52
:dozey: Today's article at: http://www.speedtv.com

under Formula 1... indicates there are contract issues with Scot Speed.

It seems that Red Bull/STR had signed Speed to a high seven figure contract before Berger's aquisition of 50 % of the shares.

Now... Berger is under pressure by Red Bull to bring additional funding to the team, so Berger may be unwilling to pay a high salary to Speed.

Tazio
13th February 2007, 20:12
:dozey: Today's article at: http://www.speedtv.com

under Formula 1... indicates there are contract issues with Scot Speed.

It seems that Red Bull/STR had signed Speed to a high seven figure contract before Berger's aquisition of 50 % of the shares.

Now... Berger is under pressure by Red Bull to bring additional funding to the team, so Berger may be unwilling to pay a high salary to Speed.
I believe Speed has earned a pay cut!

F1boat
14th February 2007, 09:03
They may really trade him for Bourdais. It'll be excellent - Seb will finally find can he match the pace of F1 drivers and CCWS might become competitive again ;)

truefan72
14th February 2007, 09:14
id rather see spedd in the team then Luizzi. Speed always kept himk honsest last year though always seemed to find trouble. I think I just expected more from Luizzi expecially after winiing the F3000 title and after his outing at Red Bull in 2005. He just disapointed me

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Besides Speed was clearly the better driver last year and would have scored more points if meddling complainer Coulthard hadn't cried wolf.

In looking at the pace, fastest laps, aggressive driving and overall performance, Speed cleary outdid his highly touted teamate. I am not sure what Tonio has done to merit continued faith from the team other than the fact that he used to be a fast F300 driver. Klien is gone, Speed may be gone and Tonio is still there?

When I think back to a number of races I clearly remember Speed overtaking his teamate several times as well as coulthard.

This is just another reason why I recinded my affiliation with RBR and TR. They seem to make one bad decision after another.

Simmi
14th February 2007, 09:32
If it was a high 7 figure contract though you can't blame Berger for wanting to get the price down a bit. I dont know much about contract prices in F1 but I'm sure there is always going to be someone willing to drive for less then you. I agree they cant keep Liuzzi over Speed based on performance, but IF Scott is whinging about a contract or holding out for whatever reason then he really does need to take a look in the mirror, or at last years review dvd.

ArrowsFA1
14th February 2007, 11:07
...IF Scott is whinging about a contract or holding out for whatever reason then he really does need to take a look in the mirror, or at last years review dvd.

You can see where the delay may be. If Red Bull signed Speed to a high seven figure contract, but now expect Berger/Toro Rosso to fund it that's hardly Speed's problem to solve, and yet it looks like he might be the one to lose out :dozey:

trumperZ06
14th February 2007, 17:17
You can see where the delay may be. If Red Bull signed Speed to a high seven figure contract, but now expect Berger/Toro Rosso to fund it that's hardly Speed's problem to solve, and yet it looks like he might be the one to lose out :dozey:

;) Mike,

We don't know that Red Bull was paying Speed's salary last year (but likely was the case)... and now want Berger to provide equal funds to support the team.

I suspect Berger is trying to get Red Bull to fund 100 % of Speed's salary... but I don't know that to be fact.

:s mokin: Trumper

nigelred5
15th February 2007, 14:26
If they can only keep one of the existing drivers and have to take a driver that brings money, which one are you gonna keep to drive a middle of the road at best, Italian powered, Italy based F1 team: an agressive but inconsistent American driver, or an Italian former F3000 driver with mediocre results that was regularly bested by his teammate? hmmmmmmm............ :o hplease:

janneppi
15th February 2007, 14:44
I'd propably get one who was ahead in quallys 12/6 and in races 10/8. :)

Roamy
15th February 2007, 21:07
I would imagine it is a performance related deal. I think such as JV getting moved out of the car at Hungary. Berger probably wants to do a 5 race look with SB in the wings.

PSfan
22nd February 2007, 19:27
I'm starting to think I should show Berger my interpretation of "pole position" and it includes a 2 foot stainless steal pole

Speed's commitment questioned by Berger

After saying earlier this month that "contractual" issues were delaying Speed's confirmation, Berger tells autosport.com the issue is one of work ethic and commitment.

Berger says even though Speed did not take kindly to criticism levelled at him following last season, the American is still in "pole position" to grab the second seat alongside Vitantonio Liuzzi.

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story/?ID=197168&hubname=auto_racing

Roamy
23rd February 2007, 22:25
If berger ****s around and keeps speed out of testing then he is a top asshole just like mario and ron

Robinho
23rd February 2007, 22:28
he's undoubtedly learnt from the best Fousto!

Civic
24th February 2007, 05:29
JV has generally been good on tires. IIRC Jock Clear thought JV was a weirdo because JV liked to have his car setup individually at all four corners as opposed to a typical front/rear setup used by Hill and HHF.

I also remember that JV had the potential to be even better if he learned to drive softer cars. I think it drove Head crazy that JV always liked stiff cars and short pedal travel and a single gear shifter paddle.

sezix
24th February 2007, 11:38
Well this sucks. ;) I want to see Bourdais now! Not these two who don't have what it takes to step a level.

tintop
24th February 2007, 15:12
Well this sucks. ;) I want to see Bourdais now! Not these two who don't have what it takes to step a level.

I agree, I wish that speed were more compelling a driver and personality. SB seems to have more potential than either. That being said, I'm glad that there is at least one Yank in the mix, hopefully he will encourage more talented followers (hopefully no more brain-dead Californians).

Roamy
24th February 2007, 15:20
I will be surprised if both make it though the season - but remember SB is under contract for this year

PS Clear thought JV was brilliant it was Head who couldn't comphrend the 4 corner set up.

sezix
24th February 2007, 15:27
If you're American fair enough for wanting to see Speed, but him and Liuzzu IMHO don't have what it takes to be other then average drivers. Liuzzi over rated and Speed well annoying..That sad I very much doubt both to be the line up for 2008.
Marco Andretti is the best American up and coming maybe Graham Rahal as well...

Roamy
24th February 2007, 16:14
I don't have a problem is they pull speed after 5 races if he is not beating Luzzi. But give him that shot anyway

Placid
25th February 2007, 05:47
He will have another shot. He has been confirmed.

F1boat
25th February 2007, 11:16
I'm happy for Speed. I remember than he raced in junior formulas ill and I amd happy that he was given another chance.
IMO Berger was very rude this winter with his drivers and they haven't testing really, so the drivers are not the problem of STR.