PDA

View Full Version : Was there really a Donkey of the Day?

Knock-on
19th October 2008, 09:59
Ignoring the one and only Donks who is always Donkey of the Day of course :D

I suppose Fisi was a bit like a mobile chicane, Massa qualified badly and was slower than his team mate on lighter fuel strategy and Heikki was rubbish but that's just poor racing, not really being a Donkey?

Anyone else in contention?

Dave B
19th October 2008, 10:00
I'd vote Fisichella for Donkey-Lite, and I'd like a better replay of the Trulli-Bourdais incident at the start; but other than that everybody did a good clean job out there today :up:

ShiftingGears
19th October 2008, 10:02
Fisi more than anyone, just for getting in everyones way more than he should've. The drivers thought likewise. Straightforward race besides that, really.

yodasarmpit
19th October 2008, 10:06
Fisi was the only one of mention, Heikki was just rubbish only affecting his own race.

truefan72
19th October 2008, 10:09
kovy for not doing a darn thing for the WDC or WCC

Look at how Kimi helped his teammate.

Where was Kovy to run in the top 4 and put pressure on Massa or Kimi.

I know he had a flat, but before that he was rubbish.

F1boat
19th October 2008, 10:41
Fisi.

jens
19th October 2008, 11:12
Stewards for forgetting to award a penalty to Hamilton.

[/sarcasm mode]

pino
19th October 2008, 11:18
Bourdais

christophulus
19th October 2008, 11:40
Only Fisichella but even he didn't really make much difference to the result.

Kovalainen had overheating brakes but whether that was his fault or not is another matter. Apparently that caused the flat but he wasn't really on form all day.

I think Trulli and Bourdais just had an incident - no one massively at fault

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKSX-BBjQKg (about 30 seconds in)

Daniel
19th October 2008, 11:43
kovy for not doing a darn thing for the WDC or WCC

Look at how Kimi helped his teammate.

It's kind of hard when you're behind your team mate, you have brake problems and have a puncture........

VkmSpouge
19th October 2008, 13:52
Probably only Giancarlo Fisichella would stand a chance of a Donkey award.

Mickey T
19th October 2008, 13:58
heikki.

18 seconds in the first 10 laps equals 1.8 seconds a lap off hamilton's pace.

absolutely nothing like good enough.

not even nearly.

only other possibility is the stewards not penalising ferrari for team orders...

christophulus
19th October 2008, 14:15
heikki.

18 seconds in the first 10 laps equals 1.8 seconds a lap off hamilton's pace.

absolutely nothing like good enough.

not even nearly.

Might not be as simple as that - sounds like McLaren might have messed his race up for him

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=44354

Tazio
19th October 2008, 15:46
I'm going to pitch Sponge Bob into the mix.
IMO he is making a graceless exit from F-1
His comments Saturday about NH is plain bad sportsmanship! :dozey:

Jag_Warrior
19th October 2008, 16:05
Stewards for forgetting to award a penalty to Hamilton.

[/sarcasm mode]

Just when they're most needed, they fall down on the job. Surely they could have given him a drive-thru for copping a feel on a grid girl or something! He kept picking at his nose during yesterday's press conference. That should have been good for a 25 second time penalty.

I didn't see Fisi do anything that would truly qualify him for the Donkey. But I'd also like to see what (really) happened between Bourdais and Trulli. Thus far, each has just blamed the other. Maybe one of them has a Donkey coming his way for that. But yeah, this was a very clean race.

PSfan
19th October 2008, 17:08
My vote goes to Fisi, he must have done something wrong to get Kimi, and I forget who-else to be waving/saluting him during the race...

Also honorable mention goes out to the Ferrari strategist for starting Massa on the lighter of the 2 ferrari fuel loads, though not sure about the tires as neither the prime or options seemed to make the Ferrari quicker, but I liked Kimi's strategy better by running both tires in the first 2 stints, and being able to pick the better one for the final one... (Though I suspect Ferrari choose to run Kimi on the crappier tires for his Final stint to allow Massa to catch up...

Mickey T
19th October 2008, 17:13
Might not be as simple as that - sounds like McLaren might have messed his race up for him

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=44354

even so, it's a big margin to your team mate

but, if what they say is true (and, by no means am i taking Ron at face value), then there is another competition:

Most Stuff Ups in pitwork/strategy/setup by a team in a single season.

that would make an intriguing championship, dominated, is suspect, by ferrari and mclaren.

Nikki Katz
19th October 2008, 17:18
The accident at the start did appear to be Bourdais' fault and happened at exactly the wrong time for his career, but these things do happen all the time, especially in the midfield.
There was nobody really awful today, but I think I'd give it to Kovalainen due to being quite badly outperformed by his teammate, though the retirement was yet again not his fault.

MrJan
19th October 2008, 20:23
Hamilton. By extending his championship lead he has made it more likely that Brazil won't be interesting. If there was only 1 point in it then we'd have been on to a winner.

mstillhere
19th October 2008, 20:39
Ignoring the one and only Donks who is always Donkey of the Day of course :D

I suppose Fisi was a bit like a mobile chicane, Massa qualified badly and was slower than his team mate on lighter fuel strategy and Heikki was rubbish but that's just poor racing, not really being a Donkey?

I actually would give it to Massa. Despite the fact that he was the lightest in gas he still qualified 3rd. That to me is really bad especially when it's down to the world championship. I never beleived he is world championship material. His mom can cry as much as she wants.

truefan72
19th October 2008, 21:31
I'm going to pitch Sponge Bob into the mix.
IMO he is making a graceless exit from F-1
His comments Saturday about NH is plain bad sportsmanship! :dozey:

yeah he gets donkey of the weekend

truefan72
19th October 2008, 21:34
My vote goes to Fisi, he must have done something wrong to get Kimi, and I forget who-else to be waving/saluting him during the race...

Also honorable mention goes out to the Ferrari strategist for starting Massa on the lighter of the 2 ferrari fuel loads, though not sure about the tires as neither the prime or options seemed to make the Ferrari quicker, but I liked Kimi's strategy better by running both tires in the first 2 stints, and being able to pick the better one for the final one... (Though I suspect Ferrari choose to run Kimi on the crappier tires for his Final stint to allow Massa to catch up...

I think that strategy was done before Q3 with every intention for Massa to get the pole position. But he simply could not deliver. That's why he was pretty mad at the press conference. He knew he had to get the pole to stand any chance of beating LH, he was given a great opportunity in Q3 to do so but could not deliver. And really did nothing in the race as both kimi and LH were faster than him, even with a lighter car.

CaptainRaiden
20th October 2008, 07:58
My vote goes to Massa too. He couldn't deliver when he most needed to, at the crunch time. He was the lightest car I think of the top five. Where were his blinding qualifying laps when he needed them the most?

You could see him already feeling defeated mentally on the podium. On the contrary, Hamilton looked like he had his head screwed on alright. Maybe his arrogance helped him in this case, but he managed this pressure cooker situation perfectly.

Let's see how Massa's latin temperament serves him in his home race.

leopard
21st October 2008, 04:32
Firstly, Massa is hardly to have good fortune in any of asian race. His best chance to determine result for the rest of the season was Singapore. The technical mistake of their lighting system needn't have happened, he would have outscored Hamilton five points in Singapore.

The soccer coach will put their best shooter in the first queue in game where the result is decided trough penalty shootout, as the result will determine mentally accuracy of the next shoots.

Home race with his such position will burden him more, but he still have disclosed opportunity, miracle can still play the role for him.
He might mentally defeated on the podium of China, deeply regret that in his crucial time he was unable to perform the job maximally, but perhaps also he was sad that once he need the help the way it happened was not like the way he does...