PDA

View Full Version : SPEEDVISION Vs. FERRARI

mstillhere
19th October 2008, 09:22
Is anybody watching Speedvision? Is it me or the whole British crew has been bushing Ferrari all week end long?

I am totally apalled how Speedvision, an American Channel (right?) gave total control to some British commentators who have been pretty much beating Ferrari up all week-end and it seems that Speedvision is ok with that. Who cares about the Ferrari fans. Oh....are they paying extra to watch Speedvision? Oh well....too bad.

I simply find it apalling. It's like watching McLaren Television. From now on I'll be watching it on my computer. Any one has any suggestions about what is a good choice/software to use?

F1boat
19th October 2008, 09:44
This is really bad, write to the tv. They must know that fans are unhappy.

Dave B
19th October 2008, 10:07
On ITV we get commentators who think that Hamilton can do no wrong, it gets equally frustrating hearing their lack of objectivity.

truefan72
19th October 2008, 10:27
perhaps you missed the part where they were lampooinig hamilton for his Canada GP fiasco and blaming his misktales for the tightnes of this race. Converesly they didn't mention the Spa incident or Fuji Massa/Bourdais incident in situations that affected the race, but pretty much chose to blame LH for how close the WCC is.

They were not beating up on Ferrari all weekend, and only became cynical as the Massa pass on Raikkonen was approaching, Even then they were saying how stupid the rules were that they had to resort to these tactics. while attributing the reason for those rules to the Coultard/Hakkinen incident as well as the Rubens/MS austria incident.

I can attest to you that they were not beating up on Ferrari all weekend.
Just because they are not signing their praises when some other driver goes out and dominates the entire race weekend is not tantamount to beating up on Ferrari.

Their coverage has been fair and balanced all year long and it's surprising that you would bring that up in the penultimate race of the year after watching them for more than half a year, 16 races and countless F1 debriefs.

Hmm I wonder why you feel that way.

Knock-on
19th October 2008, 10:48
perhaps you missed the part where they were lampooinig hamilton for his Canada GP fiasco and blaming his misktales for the tightnes of this race. Converesly they didn't mention the Spa incident or Fuji Massa/Bourdais incident in situations that affected the race, but pretty much chose to blame LH for how close the WCC is.

They were not beating up on Ferrari all weekend, and only became cynical as the Massa pass on Raikkonen was approaching, Even then they were saying how stupid the rules were that they had to resort to these tactics. while attributing the reason for those rules to the Coultard/Hakkinen incident as well as the Rubens/MS austria incident.

I can attest to you that they were not beating up on Ferrari all weekend.
Just because they are not signing their praises when some other driver goes out and dominates the entire race weekend is not tantamount to beating up on Ferrari.

Their coverage has been fair and balanced all year long and it's surprising that you would bring that up in the penultimate race of the year after watching them for more than half a year, 16 races and countless F1 debriefs.

Hmm I wonder why you feel that way.

If you really want to hear gushing, then we'll ship Allen over to you :D

mstillhere is probably jacked that Massa was so poor today and is only in the championship because the FIA and his team mate keep giving him extra points he doesn't deserve :D

F1boat
19th October 2008, 11:13

mstillhere is probably jacked that Massa was so poor today and is only in the championship because the FIA and his team mate keep giving him extra points he doesn't deserve :D

Be a gracious winner :)

ioan
19th October 2008, 11:26
Be a gracious winner :)

You're asking too much from him.

ArrowsFA1
19th October 2008, 11:36
mstillhere is probably jacked that Massa was so poor today...
I'm not so sure about poor. He just didn't have the car beneath him. His mood after qualifying seemed downbeat as if he knew he didn't have the pace, and that was confirmed in today's race. Kimi was quicker, but not by much. As Felipe said (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71585) "We saw Lewis was a bit stronger in the beginning of the race, I mean he was stronger the whole weekend."

Roamy
19th October 2008, 11:44
well what would you expect from that overrated Hobbs. He has been building a condo up Lewis's ass ever since he burst on the scene

Daniel
19th October 2008, 11:51

Be a gracious winner dude.....

Someone has to finish 2nd and someone has to finish 3rd. It's not necessarily an indication that they are a poor driver or that they've driven poorly, Hamilton drove a good race and no one could catch him. Perhaps you should congratulate Lewis for a good race rather than having a cheap pop at his rivals for doing what was quite a good job behind a guy who drove a good race and had a good car underneath him.

Getting back on topic I think a certain someone on this thread will get the job as pitlane reporter as they're a bit like Ted Kravitz in that if someone so much as yawns in the Ferrari pit lane they're there to say how they're giving up and if they did it in the McLaren garage he'd say they've sewn the race up and are going off for a quick siesta to freshen themselves for the nights partying.

ioan
19th October 2008, 13:27

Someone has to finish 2nd and someone has to finish 3rd. It's not necessarily an indication that they are a poor driver or that they've driven poorly, Hamilton drove a good race and no one could catch him. Perhaps you should congratulate Lewis for a good race rather than having a cheap pop at his rivals for doing what was quite a good job behind a guy who drove a good race and had a good car underneath him.

Getting back on topic I think a certain someone on this thread will get the job as pitlane reporter as they're a bit like Ted Kravitz in that if someone so much as yawns in the Ferrari pit lane they're there to say how they're giving up and if they did it in the McLaren garage he'd say they've sewn the race up and are going off for a quick siesta to freshen themselves for the nights partying.

:up:

markabilly
19th October 2008, 13:29
well what would you expect from that overrated Hobbs. He has been building a condo up Lewis's ass ever since he burst on the scene
:rotflmao:

Let me say this, at Canada, they were very mad at Lewis, like how could you do that, what were you thinking and on and on.....not because he knocked Kimi out of the race--that was ignored--it was because he knocked himself out of the race!!!

I dunno, Hobbs is usually more like he is asleep or still hung over this year...must be old age creeping up on him.

Actually I think he was far worse last year......He would lead the whole crew in chants for Lewey during Qing, saying "push, come on you can do it, push, HARDER!!PUSH, PUSH! YES!!!He's done it!!!"

"Oh, that was some effort" (and I am sure they would get out their cigarettes--[West of course, never no Marlboro] and then lay back and ask each other off the air, "was it good for you....)

All of which is fine, if you are a Brit and a lover of Hamsters, but NOT ONCE DID THAT MISERABLE BUNCH OF JERKS DO THE SAME FOR SCOTTIE SPEED!!!
Instead it was "that poor old Scot Speed, wonder how long he will last with the team with those kinds of miserable results" after a race where he had passed several cars only to have his engine go bust.......And they are an American broadcaster television station that loves Nastycar......

Oh well, come to think of it, they never did any chanting for FA, Kimi or the the others either last year or this year. Fact is last year, as the race went on at Brazil, it was like they were watching a funerual possession......

mstillhere
19th October 2008, 15:55

Don't talk to me. Right now I have my IV stuck into my arm. I'll resume my writing in a couple of hours. IF I get any better. :)

mstillhere
19th October 2008, 16:19
:rotflmao:

Let me say this, at Canada, they were very mad at Lewis, like how could you do that, what were you thinking and on and on.....not because he knocked Kimi out of the race--that was ignored--it was because he knocked himself out of the race!!!

I dunno, Hobbs is usually more like he is asleep or still hung over this year...must be old age creeping up on him.

Actually I think he was far worse last year......He would lead the whole crew in chants for Lewey during Qing, saying "push, come on you can do it, push, HARDER!!PUSH, PUSH! YES!!!He's done it!!!"

"Oh, that was some effort" (and I am sure they would get out their cigarettes--[West of course, never no Marlboro] and then lay back and ask each other off the air, "was it good for you....)

All of which is fine, if you are a Brit and a lover of Hamsters, but NOT ONCE DID THAT MISERABLE BUNCH OF JERKS DO THE SAME FOR SCOTTIE SPEED!!!
Instead it was "that poor old Scot Speed, wonder how long he will last with the team with those kinds of miserable results" after a race where he had passed several cars only to have his engine go bust.......And they are an American broadcaster television station that loves Nastycar......

Oh well, come to think of it, they never did any chanting for FA, Kimi or the the others either last year or this year. Fact is last year, as the race went on at Brazil, it was like they were watching a funerual possession......

At least when Warsha (?) was there he would be more of a moderator, but now it's all over. It's about Lewis here and Lewis there. It's nausating.

And again if we were in Britain (Great Britain that is) ok. Fair enough. But here in the US? Last time I checked the number of McLaren's owners in the US is equal to the amount of people who own a Bugatti. Close to zero.

In terms of Ferrari owners we actually lost count. So, is Speedvision making any friends amoung the TWO McLaren owners? Absolutely. Amoung the one billion Ferrari owners? Hum....I strongly doubt it.

In the US we have many, MANY fans of different teams. Is it illogical? Why do we have to get all excited for McLaren? You want have a go at Ferrai? Sure. Go ahead. The whole week-end? Now that's a "little" excessive.

truefan72
19th October 2008, 21:16
the only folks displaying a lack of grace around here are those laying into speedvision as some sort of an outlet to vent their pent up frustrations as there was nothing LH did that they could find fault with to harp on.

You folks are telling others to be gracious winners, while at the same time displaying the epitome of being sore losers. Try being gracious losers for a change.

I am just watching the race a gain and before the race even started
1. Peter Windsor goes on about Hamilton blowing races from the lead or from pole . Hobs chimes in with his pre-race analysis with a comment titled Deja-lewy which is implying the fact that LH might blow the race.

As the race begins withing the first 5 minutes.
2. Stating that Kovy is simply not doing the job and is pretty much lame for even falling behind Alonso, both call his early breaking and Alonso's repass, somewhat useless and that he needs to put his head down and get on with it.

3. All announcers call the 2 Ferrari's pretty strong and looking real good. Commend the team for making the super softs work in their advantage.

4. Basically laugh off Alonso's communication with the team that he has the pace to keep up with the Ferrari's, noting that the Ferrari's are pulling away and if that were the case why was Alonso not closer to them.

As the race progresses.
5. Continuing to lampoon kovy for a "pretty pathetic" drive and in response to another Alonso radio communication where the team tells him about his fuel status vs p5. Kovy, the announcers mention that Kovy should be battling with the Ferrari's instead of languishing behind Alonso and how.

6. mention that Raikkonen is setting fastest lap on lap 20 with super softs as pretty remarkable.

7. Windsor starts off a conversation again about how the closeness of the title fight is all Lewis' to blame due to his mistakes at fuji and canada. The rest of the team chimes in in agreement and make /no mention about Spa.
Hobbs goes on to say that Lewis move in Canada was the "dumbest" move of the year and pretty "boneheaded".

The only time they even had anything remotely negative to say was during the massa/kimi pass and Hobbs had a cynical comment about the fact that Massa was doing 1:38's and catching Kimi. They then went on a good 5 minute rant about the silliness of the rule and how team orders have been part of F1 since the 1950's. Even going so far as to mention times when 2nd drivers would give up their car for the #1 guy as was provided to Fangio. In stating why the rule came about they mentioned the Rubens/Ms situation in Austria and also the DC/Mikka incident a few years back stating that both teams were guilty of some really unsporting moves.

btw,.Hobbs was even more cynical about LH's pass on Kovy in Germany even doing a mock Radio communication to Kovy asking him to loose 2 seconds a lap in pace.

So please don't come now talking about Speedvisions bias because of your own bias after watching them for 17 rounds with nary a complaint. LH won comprehensively under immense pressure, didn't put a foot wrong and won by a large margin. Since there is nothing to attack him there on, you then turn to attack the messenger.

mstillhere
19th October 2008, 21:25
the only folks displaying a lack of grace around here are those laying into speedvision as some sort of an outlet to vent their pent up frustrations as there was nothing LH did that they could find fault with to harp on.

You folks are telling others to be gracious winners, while at the same time displaying the epitome of being sore losers. Try being gracious losers for a change.

1. Peter Windsor goes on about Hamilton blowing races from the lead or from pole . Hobs chimes in with his pre-race analysis with a comment titled Deja-lewy which is implying the fact that LH might blow the race.

2. Stating that Kovy is simply not doing the job and is pretty much lame for even falling behind Alonso, both call his early breaking and Alonso's repass, somewhat useless and that he needs to put his head down and get on with it.

3. All announcers call the 2 Ferrari's pretty strong and looking real good. Commend the team for making the super softs work in their advantage.

4. Basically laugh off Alonso's communication with the team that he has the pace to keep up with the Ferrari's, noting that the Ferrari's are pulling away and if that were the case why was Alonso not closer to them.

As the race progresses.
5. Continuing to lampoon kovy for a "pretty pathetic" drive and in response to another Alonso radio communication where the team tells him about his fuel status vs p5. Kovy, the announcers mention that Kovy should be battling with the Ferrari's instead of languishing behind Alonso and how.

6. mention that Raikkonen is setting fastest lap on lap 20 with super softs as pretty remarkable.

7. Windsor starts off a conversation again about how the closeness of the title fight is all Lewis' to blame due to his mistakes at fuji and canada. The rest of the team chimes in in agreement and make /no mention about Spa.
Hobbs goes on to say that Lewis move in Canada was the "dumbest" move of the year and pretty "boneheaded".

The only time they even had anything remotely negative to say was during the massa/kimi pass and Hobbs had a cynical comment about the fact that Massa was doing 1:38's and catching Kimi. They then went on a good 5 minute rant about the silliness of the rule and how team orders have been part of F1 since the 1950's. Even going so far as to mention times when 2nd drivers would give up their car for the #1 guy as was provided to Fangio. In stating why the rule came about they mentioned the Rubens/Ms situation in Austria and also the DC/Mikka incident a few years back stating that both teams were guilty of some really unsporting moves.

btw,.Hobbs was even more cynical about LH's pass on Kovy in Germany even doing a mock Radio communication to Kovy asking him to loose 2 seconds a lap in pace.

So please don't come now talking about Speedvisions bias because of your own bias after watching them for 17 rounds with nary a complaint. LH won comprehensively under immense pressure, didn't put a foot wrong and won by a large margin. Since there is nothing to attack him there on, you then turn to attack the messenger.

It's interesting how WE pay just attention to what bother us.

Daniel
19th October 2008, 21:35
Huh? How am I being an ungracious loser by saying that Hamilton drove better than everyone else on the day? :rolleyes: Open your eyes and read posts properly dude.

truefan72
19th October 2008, 21:46
Huh? How am I being an ungracious loser by saying that Hamilton drove better than everyone else on the day? :rolleyes: Open your eyes and read posts properly dude.

you asked knock-on to be a gracious winner as did Mstillhere.

My comments were directed at him not you so, please don't take offense in it as I am not calling you out.

truefan72
19th October 2008, 21:50
It's interesting how WE pay just attention to what bother us.

ok so please site me the incidents of Ferrari Bias please

I have given you more than ample cases of the opposite. So please site me any comments that you feel were denigrating to Ferrari over the weekend.

Then we can have a proper conversation.

I also ask anyone esle who watched the coverage to site me the "overwhelming" bias from Speedvision displayed over the weekend, because at the moment you only sound bitter at having to listen to them exalt LH for his brilliant weekend...unless you feel that in itslef is a slant to Ferrari
LOL

Daniel
19th October 2008, 23:14
Truefan. You can find something to complain about in anything. Just be happy your man won and leave it at that. With the way you take issue with anything said about Lewis it looks like you're his dad or something.

markabilly
19th October 2008, 23:27
Truefan. You can find something to complain about in anything. Just be happy your man won and leave it at that. With the way you take issue with anything said about Lewis it looks like you're his dad or something.
no, if he was his dad, instead of posting here, he be out celebrating like a fool.... :beer:

Daniel
19th October 2008, 23:43
It was said for dramatic effect dude

markabilly
19th October 2008, 23:54
It was said for dramatic effect dude

And here is your oscar sweetie :monkeedan

truefan72
20th October 2008, 02:22

what?

Was I complaining or was Msstillhere complaining?
Was this thread about folks taking issue with LH or with folks taking issue with speedvisions coverage of Ferrari?

figure out what this thread was about before even trying to talk about stuff, otherwise you just sound foolish.
I am defending the allegation that speedvision is anti- ferrari, how you manage to twist this around as me complaining about stuff and defending Hamilton is the height of absurdity.

I've provided a sound and concise argument refuting his claims and the best you can come up with is me liking/defending Hamilton, when this thread has absolutely nothing to do with him?

If you are going to discuss an issue stay on topic, otherwise don't even bother to post such useless allegations which have nothing to do about nothing.

If you are in need to bash someone for finding something to complain about, then I direct you to the thread starter of which the title is SPEEDVISION vs. FERRARI.

LOL

call_me_andrew
20th October 2008, 03:13
Is anybody watching Speedvision? Is it me or the whole British crew has been bushing Ferrari all week end long?

I am totally apalled how Speedvision, an American Channel (right?) gave total control to some British commentators who have been pretty much beating Ferrari up all week-end and it seems that Speedvision is ok with that. Who cares about the Ferrari fans. Oh....are they paying extra to watch Speedvision? Oh well....too bad.

I simply find it apalling. It's like watching McLaren Television. From now on I'll be watching it on my computer. Any one has any suggestions about what is a good choice/software to use?

Speedvision? What kind of temporal anomaly have you been in for the last 6 years? Newscorp bought Speedvision to create a 24-hour NASCAR channel, when they couldn't fill 24-hours with just NASCAR, it became a general automotive channel with Formula 1 as filler between "Pinks" and "Unique Whips".

And Lee Diffy is Australian, not British.

tintop
20th October 2008, 17:57

As the race progresses.

Ahh the facts, they seem to discomfort some of us for some reason. Well documented, there was more Hobbs than normal with the Attorney missing this week, but he didn't seem too bad. He does point out that "Ferrari problably won't get a penalty fo that, even though others have in the past" and he is usually right. Another fav is "oh no, he's come out behind Coulthard, not an easy man to pass", also spot on. I thought he was objective in the Seb Massa incident last week; initially saying that Seb had hit Massa then coming to the right conclusion after seeing a better shot of it.

schmenke
21st October 2008, 14:11
Is anybody watching Speedvision? Is it me or the whole British crew has been bushing Ferrari all week end long?...

It's you :dozey:

Knock-on
21st October 2008, 14:25

Sorry Dan, Arows, F1boat etc. I was just joshing and pulling a leg or two.

Nothing serious ;)

tintop
21st October 2008, 14:56

I am totally apalled how Speedvision, an American Channel (right?) gave total control to some British commentators who have been pretty much beating Ferrari up all week-end and it seems that Speedvision is ok with that. ?

BTW the head commentator for the Chinese GP was an Australian.

truefan72
22nd October 2008, 00:58
It's you :dozey:

thanks

Ahh the facts, they seem to discomfort some of us for some reason. Well documented, there was more Hobbs than normal with the Attorney missing this week, but he didn't seem too bad. He does point out that "Ferrari problably won't get a penalty fo that, even though others have in the past" and he is usually right. Another fav is "oh no, he's come out behind Coulthard, not an easy man to pass", also spot on. I thought he was objective in the Seb Massa incident last week; initially saying that Seb had hit Massa then coming to the right conclusion after seeing a better shot of it.
and thanks for being someon e else who watched the coverage and saw no bias

BTW the head commentator for the Chinese GP was an Australian.

yep

anthonyvop
22nd October 2008, 02:56
The F-1 crew at Speed have been bashing Ferrari all year.

David Hobbs constant refering of Felipe Mass as "Phil" is particulary irritating, condesending and borderline Racist.
It reminds me of when the Radio Announcer of the Pittsburg Pirates would call the Great Roberto Clemente "Bobby" because he want to Amerianize him. Clemente asked to to stop repeatedly but the announce ignored him.

Steve Matchet is just a bitter old fart who was pushed out of F-1 and is particularly mad at Ferrari for not hiring him.

The regular Announcer, Bob Varsha is pretty good and fair.

tintop
22nd October 2008, 03:50

David Hobbs constant refering of Felipe Mass as "Phil" is particulary irritating, condesending and borderline Racist.
It reminds me of when the Radio Announcer of the Pittsburg Pirates would call the Great Roberto Clemente "Bobby" because he want to Amerianize him. Clemente asked to to stop repeatedly but the announce ignored him.

Steve Matchet is just a bitter old fart who was pushed out of F-1 and is particularly mad at Ferrari for not hiring him.

Ahh, no real evidence of Ferrari bashing here. I'll grant you that old David is a crochety throw-back but he is an equal opportunity dope w/o any discernable bias, except perhaps calling FIA on it's own arbitrariness.

mstillhere
22nd October 2008, 03:57
So, let me see. Wow, what a shocking surprise. The McLaren fans did not see anything wrong with the EXTREME biased Ferrari bashing on Speedvision? Well, well, that's a surprise.

Of course, if you were to bother and read around other F1 sites Ferrari fans and up in arms against Speedvision, including on the discussion board on the Speedvision web site itself. I don't care if all the joy for McLaren's victory and the horrible things Ferrari does/did had been said on a british TV or McLaren TV. I would understand that. Not a problem.

What I don't understand is that I, as a Ferrrari fan, have the rigth to receive unbiased coverage since I pay this premium channel not to listen the british -and ok the Australian guy too- commentators continuously critizise my team.

My money is as good as anyone else's. And since, until proven to contrary, Speedvision is an American channel it would not hurt to actually have 3 American commentators and one British, Irish, Austarlian, whatever. Not just the total opposite where there are no Americans at all commneting the event.

American commentators are not only able to an excellent job in covering F1 but also are able to be mindfull that their audiance is made out of fans of any and every single team that's on the track, including Force India ans williams, and so on. And since the Mclaren fans (a minority compared to Ferrari fans) are NOT the only ones paying for this coverage Speedvision needs to make sure that ALL its audience receives a fair and objective coverage of the event.

And no, the coverage was not fair. it was a continue bashing over the entire week-end. Including the "scandalous" and "outrageous" Massa passing Kimi. The nerve these people have. After all that has been said when Lewis passed Kovi in Germany -and all you McLaren fans totally supported it- the Speedvision crew -and someone on this site did as well- had the nerve to bring that up. Is that a fair and unbiased coverage?? Please........

On the Speedvison boards we Ferrari fans are organizing a boycott of the channel -at least some of us are. We are planning to discontinue our memberships and to continue watching F1 on our computers. enough is enough.

Gannex
22nd October 2008, 05:39
mstillhere, you gave yourself away when you said you didn't pay good money to listen to "commentators continuously criticize my team". But that is their job, mstillhere, to give critical analysis of all the teams, including "yours". If SPEED ever gives in to your demands, and becomes Ferrari's booster and defender, as you seem to want, I'll quit watching, because I want to know the good and the bad about all the major players, not all of them except one.

555-04Q2
22nd October 2008, 06:19

If it means getting rid of Allen, I'll pay for the plane ticket. I'll even fork out for a first class ticket if I have to ;)

Tazio
22nd October 2008, 06:37
I think Fred would take exception to that accusationhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :laugh:

anthonyvop
22nd October 2008, 14:02
I think Fred would take exception to that accusationhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :laugh:

FWIW.
Hobbs is also illiterate in the Spanish language.

Fred is short for fredrick.

Fedrick in Spanish is Federico not Fernando.

Fernando in English is Ferdinand.

tintop
22nd October 2008, 15:23
So, let me see. Wow, what a shocking surprise. The McLaren fans did not see anything wrong with the EXTREME biased Ferrari bashing on Speedvision? Well, well, that's a surprise.

My money is as good as anyone else's. And since, until proven to contrary, Speedvision is an American channel it would not hurt to actually have 3 American commentators and one British, Irish, Austarlian, whatever. Not just the total opposite where there are no Americans at all commneting the event.

And no, the coverage was not fair. it was a continue bashing over the entire week-end. Including the "scandalous" and "outrageous" Massa passing Kimi.

Not a McLaren fan. It hasn't been speedvision for quite a few years. They made fun of the pass that wasn't really a pass last weekend. It was tongue and cheek, everyone knew that it was a fait accomplis. They make light fun of every driver/team at times, Hobbs is a little un-PC (eg "Fred" ' "ze Germans") but there isn't any outrageous bias towards Ferrari, as I said he is an equal opportunity chider.

Bagwan
22nd October 2008, 16:07
When commentators take sides , it gets ugly .

Matchett and Hobbs gush for all things British , just like the rest of us , defending our heroes .
All three on the team constantly mis-pronounce Robert Kubica's name , which is rather inexcusable in my opinion .

But , at least they are better than Allen , who , when I'm given the choice , disappears from my TV faster than the F1 timing system can record .

ioan
22nd October 2008, 16:08
FWIW.

Yep, let's just call him Ferdi or Ferdy! :D

Tazio
22nd October 2008, 16:21
FWIW.

No! Tony! No! :eek:

I like Hobbs! He reminds me of Jerry Coleman! Shortstop, second baseman for
the NY Yankees in the Yogi Berra, Billy Martin era He's about the same age as Hobbs. He was a golden glove winner Made the all Star team a few times
And has multiple World Series rings. He's been doing the color for the San Diego Padres for a long time. He is absolutely hysterical. Like Coleman, Hobbs has accomplished things like wining races at Monza in the old banked configuration. I met Steve Matchett and Graham Rahaal at the BMW Pit lane Park. Matchett was M.C.'ing the event, while junior was spinning donuts in a 2006 BMW Sauber. He's ok by me. I've watched every race this season ITV so maybe the whole shooting match went to hell. I don't rate them as anything special. Townsend Bell did a couple GP's and was the best of the lot IMHO

Anyway I'll stick with Fred ;)

mstillhere
22nd October 2008, 22:04
mstillhere, you gave yourself away when you said you didn't pay good money to listen to "commentators continuously criticize my team". But that is their job, mstillhere, to give critical analysis of all the teams, including "yours". If SPEED ever gives in to your demands, and becomes Ferrari's booster and defender, as you seem to want, I'll quit watching, because I want to know the good and the bad about all the major players, not all of them except one.

Including does not mean exclusevely. And I am not saying Ferrari should not be critized. I criticise it all the time. What I am saying is that the critizism should be balanced. Instead we got a week end long bashing. I am sorry, you do that in England or on the McLaren TV. Not on an American channel.

nigelred5
22nd October 2008, 23:30

Of course, if you were to bother and read around other F1 sites Ferrari fans and up in arms against Speedvision, including on the discussion board on the Speedvision web site itself. I don't care if all the joy for McLaren's victory and the horrible things Ferrari does/did had been said on a british TV or McLaren TV. I would understand that. Not a problem.

What I don't understand is that I, as a Ferrrari fan, have the rigth to receive unbiased coverage since I pay this premium channel not to listen the british -and ok the Australian guy too- commentators continuously critizise my team.

American commentators are not only able to an excellent job in covering F1 but also are able to be mindfull that their audiance is made out of fans of any and every single team that's on the track, including Force India ans williams, and so on. And since the Mclaren fans (a minority compared to Ferrari fans) are NOT the only ones paying for this coverage Speedvision needs to make sure that ALL its audience receives a fair and objective coverage of the event.

And no, the coverage was not fair. it was a continue bashing over the entire week-end. Including the "scandalous" and "outrageous" Massa passing Kimi. The nerve these people have. After all that has been said when Lewis passed Kovi in Germany -and all you McLaren fans totally supported it- the Speedvision crew -and someone on this site did as well- had the nerve to bring that up. Is that a fair and unbiased coverage?? Please........

On the Speedvison boards we Ferrari fans are organizing a boycott of the channel -at least some of us are. We are planning to discontinue our memberships and to continue watching F1 on our computers. enough is enough.

jeeeeze dude, Varsha had personal business this week and they used Leigh Diffy who also works for Speed as a fill-in for one race. I love Varsha, he'll be back next race. I'm a huge Ferrari fan and I just don't see what you are bitching about. I freely admit the FIA shows Ferrari bias all the damn time. Ferrari deserves the criticism and suspicion. They are no diffent than Penske, they cheat better than everyone else. That's racing. Ferrari is suffering from the loss of Schumi AND Todt's leadership. Filipe and Kimi have both blown it several times this year, that's what the problem is.

Speed is wholly owned by Newscorp (FOX) and was bought for the purpose of promoting and covering NASCAR. Every other form of racing they fill in with gets the short stick. Do you watch the races when they shift them to FOX. The overall coverage sucks when the same team does the race minus the normal Speed coverage because they AMERICANIZE the broadcast much more. As far as the rest of the team. Peter Windsor comes courtesy of the Formula One broadcast. No American announcer is going to get the access Windsor has for the broadcasts. Matchett is far more knowledgeable and experienced deep within F1 than any American announcer I can even begin to come up with. Hobbs is simply the typical oddball third guy. They all call the race from Speed's studios. Who do you want, Mikey Waltrip? Maybe John Bisigano and his starched polo collars? I actually really like regular Speed broadcast team and think they dish the criticism fairly.

tintop
22nd October 2008, 23:37
jeeeezus dude, Varsha had personal business this week and they used Leigh Diffy who also works for Speed as a fill-in for one race. I love Varsha, he'ss be back next race. I'm a huge Ferrari fan and I just don't see what you are bitching about. I freely admit the FIA shows Ferrari bias all the damn time. Ferrari deserves the criticism and suspicion. Tehy are no diffeent than Penske, they cheat better than everyone else. That's racing. Ferrari is suffering from the loss of Schumi AND Todt's leadership. Filipe and Kimi have both blown it several times this year, that's what the problem is.

Speed is wholly owned by Newscorp (FOX) and was bought for the purpose of promoting and covering NASCAR. Every other form of racing they fill in with gets the short stick. Do you watch the races when they shift them to FOX. The overall coverage sucks when the same team does the race minus the normal Speed coverage because they AMERICANIZE the broadcast much more. As far as the rest of the team. Peter Windsor comes courtesy of the Formula One broadcast. No American announcer is going to get the access Windsor has for the broadcasts. Matchett is far more knowledgeable and experienced deep within F1 than any American announcer I can even begin to come up with. Hobbs is simply the typical oddball third guy. They all call the race from Speed's studios. Who do you want, Mikey Waltrip? Maybe John Bisigano and his starched polo collars? I actually really like regular Speed broadcast team and think they dish the criticism fairly.

:up: :up: :up: I just don't see that they bash anyone exclusively.

mstillhere
23rd October 2008, 01:34
jeeeeze dude, Varsha had personal business this week and they used Leigh Diffy who also works for Speed as a fill-in for one race. I love Varsha, he'll be back next race. I'm a huge Ferrari fan and I just don't see what you are bitching about. I freely admit the FIA shows Ferrari bias all the damn time. Ferrari deserves the criticism and suspicion. They are no diffent than Penske, they cheat better than everyone else. That's racing. Ferrari is suffering from the loss of Schumi AND Todt's leadership. Filipe and Kimi have both blown it several times this year, that's what the problem is.

You are free to be happy with them. And so I am free to strongly disagree.
Changing subject, i had no idea that Fox had anything to do with Speedvision. Now I understand why if it's not on Speed it is on Fox with the same commnetators. I personally liked it a lot with it was on ABC. All American commentators (except for Windsor, as you mentioned). Very much into the race without making fun of anyone. Just pure journalism as it ought to be.

truefan72
23rd October 2008, 02:00

and he calls Hamilton Lewy, and kimi the kimster, and heidfeld, nick the quick, and Kibica bob at times...

truefan72
23rd October 2008, 02:16

apart from accusing folks of being mclaren fans for defending speedvision. You have not given one piece of evidence to support your case. You only sound like a Ferrari fan that's lashing out at the messenger for the fact that they were outclassed buy LH all weekend. You particularly sound as if being a ferrari fan should afford you some sort of special treratment from announcers the world over. They should do their best to bend over backwards and praise your team no matter what.

As I said, it is funny that you would bring this subject up after 17 races and after it looks increasingly possible that LH might win the WDC. Never mind that Ferrari are probably going to win the WCC and finished a solid 2-3 in the race.

So please provide me with the particular comments that irritated you in this past race and we can go from there. s to the germany incident, I did bring it up and as i said hobbs was even more critical about that pass than the china gp pass. As I said even cynically mocking a radio communication asking Kovy to loose 2 seconds per lap. If me bringing up that incident highlighting speedvision being critical of mclaren is somehow me showing my bias then I'm not sure we will be able to have a realistic conversation here.

I thnik your emotions are getting the better of you and you hear the words mclaren, hamilton and already imply some sort bias irrelevant of the facts and context.

and btw a good way to start a boycott of the station is not to organize it on their own boards. LOL

wmcot
23rd October 2008, 08:16
I am a Ferrari fan, too, but I don't find Speed's commentators nearly as bad as ITV's "Lewis is God" coverage. The comments about Felipe passing Kimi were obviously Hobbs trying to be funny with his droll sense of humor, but did anyone watching from anywhere in the world think that Kimi would not let Felipe by?

Hobbs can get a bit old and Varsha usually does a good job of playing referee. Matchett is very knowledgeable and often catches things the others miss. I don't really see any anti-Ferrari bias in Matchett. I've read his books and he tries to stay pretty well balanced.

I think this was just a bad weekend for Ferrari and the crew was pointing it out. It may not have been politically correct, but I didn't find it offensive. (It's way better than the times that Speed puts the races on regular broadcast networks and we have to listen to Derek Daly spout off that these "are the fiiinest automobiles in the world" every five minutes!)

nigelred5
23rd October 2008, 11:06
I don't care if I EVER hear DD broadcast a race again.! Last year, the Speed team was VERY critical of Mclaren, Renault AND Ferrari for all of the scandals. IMHO, The FIA is right in trying to take the incredible financial risk the teams undertake out of the series.

truefan72
23rd October 2008, 21:06
I don't care if I EVER hear DD broadcast a race again.! Last year, the Speed team was VERY critical of Mclaren, Renault AND Ferrari for all of the scandals. IMHO, The FIA is right in trying to take the incredible financial risk the teams undertake out of the series.

yes I do agree. Derek Daly is a joke. Half the time I think he's either drunk or on something.

jjanicke
23rd October 2008, 21:38
Wah wah wah....

The Speed team does a great job, IMO. They are equal opportunity basher's, with the exception of the FIA. They can't get enough of bashing the pathetic governing body the FIA has become, and rightfully so. They bash everybody and they cheer everybody. Varsha was out last weekend attending an event in vegas and therefore the Australian backfill.

Derek D is a joke and shouldn't ever announce an F1 event. "and the (ahhhh)..... red car just passed the (ahhh)..... blue and white car" DD '06

Knock-on
24th October 2008, 10:55
Derek D is a joke and shouldn't ever announce an F1 event. "and the (ahhhh)..... red car just passed the (ahhh)..... blue and white car" DD '06

I keep saying it. You can have James Allen :D

jas123f1
24th October 2008, 12:32

Did they tell to the McLaren fans (or maybe they did they forget? ) that Lewis has every time (except ones) been in qualifying with a lighter car than his team mate Kovy - and that one time Kovy tog the pole.. :D

jjanicke
24th October 2008, 16:27
I keep saying it. You can have James Allen :D

No thanks! ;) Varsha, Hobbs, and Matchett are just fine. :)

Tazio
24th October 2008, 19:04
Like I said in a previous I've watched every race on an ITV link. I don't really listen to the commentary,
because I have a window open with timing, and scoring and another with the chat that Pino set up.
I think I could get a testimonial or two from guys on this forum that participate in the chat
that I blab so much I don't have time to pay attention to the Announcers :p :

The only complaint I have about the speed broadcast (and I'm sure it hasn't gotten any better) is
the absurd amount of time spent on commercial breaks :down: :eek:

wmcot
25th October 2008, 08:56
The only complaint I have about the speed broadcast (and I'm sure it hasn't gotten any better) is

Yep, and the breaks get more frequent towards the end of the race (but they do leave the last 3 or 4 laps without a break.) Seems all the action happens during the break and we only see it thanks to replay. (Not to mention that most of the breaks are about "male enhancement" or "male urinary" problems - are they talking to Bernie?)

truefan72
25th October 2008, 19:48

Thats ranked second on my list.

My chief concern is that they start Qualifying about 12 minutes behind real time and it simply sucks. After doing a bunch of talking points and other non stories for 12 minutes, they finally get into Q1 as if it were real time and then predictably go off into a commercial break at some in-opportune time. I think all those set pieces and stories should be reserved for the Friday's and let the Q1 start on time.
I simply have to avoid the live timing for Qualifying which sucks. Because It is really kinda neat to follow the progress of the drivers I want to track rather than what the world feed supplies us.

But as to the commentary, no problem whatsoever.

call_me_andrew
26th October 2008, 04:33

SPEED shows 5, 30 second commercials every 10 minutes. That's better than most TV shows.

markabilly
26th October 2008, 07:22
Yep, and the breaks get more frequent towards the end of the race (but they do leave the last 3 or 4 laps without a break.) Seems all the action happens during the break and we only see it thanks to replay. (Not to mention that most of the breaks are about "male enhancement" or "male urinary" problems - are they talking to Bernie?)

No, to MaX

and you forgot ED ads
Well placed sources say he is negotiating money to do personal endorsements, including before and after videos
esp., as one "male urinary" problem solution ("Maxieflow")already has his name, will be getting sued over some sort of copyright infringment unless they pay up

markabilly
26th October 2008, 13:50
And speaking of ads by the rich and famous of F1, I could help but click on this that appears from our very own website popup....shame on Pino!!

"Fur-Free Tamara Ecclestone Has the Winning Formula"--naked and draped only in....;

http://getactive.peta.org/campaign/tamara_ecclestone_fur?c=tamarag1008&qp_source=tamarags1008&gclid=CM6m7%2diExZYCFRg6awodqmM9xw

I always thought that when one discovered "fur-free", to start checking ID documents....

Knock-on
27th October 2008, 11:59
And speaking of ads by the rich and famous of F1, I could help but click on this that appears from our very own website popup....shame on Pino!!

"Fur-Free Tamara Ecclestone Has the Winning Formula"--naked and draped only in....;

http://getactive.peta.org/campaign/tamara_ecclestone_fur?c=tamarag1008&qp_source=tamarags1008&gclid=CM6m7%2diExZYCFRg6awodqmM9xw

I always thought that when one discovered "fur-free", to start checking ID documents....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamara_Ecclestone

Reading a little about this little Vixen (Fur Free of course), one can't help but realise just how out of step with reality the family really is.

Tazio
27th October 2008, 16:37
SPEED shows 5, 30 second commercials every 10 minutes. That's better than most TV shows.No arguement from me on that point Bro!
However it far exceeds the ITV feed!
Ciao

wmcot
28th October 2008, 06:12
Maybe Speed should show the races tape-delayed and then they could put the commercials in the boring, processional parts (oh wait, that would mean some races would be ALL commercials!)

PolePosition_1
28th October 2008, 12:01

You define "bashing" as calling Felipe Massa Phil? And you also think thats racist.

Can you explain reasoning behind this?

Knock-on
28th October 2008, 12:45
You define "bashing" as calling Felipe Massa Phil? And you also think thats racist.

<sniggers> ;)

anthonyvop
28th October 2008, 13:10

If you had read my post then you would see my reasoning.

Knock-on
28th October 2008, 13:37

So you think Speed TV are trying to Americanise Massa by calling him Phil and that's rascist :confused:

Do you know the meaning of the word Ant (May I call you Ant without it being a rascist insult?) because last time I checked, referring to someone by an abreviation was not considered an insult, much less rascist.

PolePosition_1
28th October 2008, 14:04

I'm with Knock On, I did read your post, and could not find any reasoning, hence I quoted you asking to explain why calling Felipe Massa Phil is racist and condesending?

My name is Philip, lots of people call me Phil, though I prefer being called Philip rather than Phil, when people do, I don't find it condesending or racist.

As it seems no one is able to understand your reasoning from your original post, do you want to explain it to us?

Knock-on
28th October 2008, 14:10
I'm with Knock On, I did read your post, and could not find any reasoning, hence I quoted you asking to explain why calling Felipe Massa Phil is racist and condesending?

My name is Philip, lots of people call me Phil, though I prefer being called Philip rather than Phil, when people do, I don't find it condesending or racist.

As it seems no one is able to understand your reasoning from your original post, do you want to explain it to us?

I thought your name was Pole. I was considering shorting it to Po or even P but I'm not sure now if it's rascist or not :o

Bagwan
28th October 2008, 14:24
So you think Speed TV are trying to Americanise Massa by calling him Phil and that's rascist :confused:

Do you know the meaning of the word Ant (May I call you Ant without it being a rascist insult?) because last time I checked, referring to someone by an abreviation was not considered an insult, much less rascist.

Knock , you don't understand .
It was the way he spelled "Phil" with a "Ph" , instead of with an "F" , when he said it .
You see , in Brazil , to say "phhhht" to someone , is to call them a bad name .
"Ph" is the shortened version , used usually when in passing cars .

The origin of the word "phhhht" comes from an Australian guy , with a Canadian flag on his backpack , who had had a bad moment with a Finnish guy who was pulling his rickshaw in Singapore took a wrong turn and got them lost , and when backing up , they ran into an Ethiopian with a ricketty cane he got in Thailand .
Upon hitting the man , the Ethiopian fell in the mud created by a Hungarian restaurant owner washing his elephant on the street , and cried "phhhht" , as he had heard it on TV during the telecast of the 2007 Brazilian GP , when Hobbs had uttered the word when Lewis lost it all .
It's not actually known whether the utterance , in the case of the old man , was in reference to the rickshaw owner , it's rider , the guy from Thailand who had made the ricketty cane , or the owner of the elephant , as the old man was shortly thereafter trampled by the elephant because he hit the Hungarian with his cane .

The fans in Brazil took it to be an expletive , as in , "lower than elephant water" . With few elephants in Brazil , it is rarely used , and being so easy to explain , may be used more in future .
With so many nationalities involved , it's just got to be a racial thing .

That's what I think you don't understand .

Knock-on
28th October 2008, 14:41
Knock , you don't understand .
It was the way he spelled "Phil" with a "Ph" , instead of with an "F" , when he said it .
You see , in Brazil , to say "phhhht" to someone , is to call them a bad name .
"Ph" is the shortened version , used usually when in passing cars .

The origin of the word "phhhht" comes from an Australian guy , with a Canadian flag on his backpack , who had had a bad moment with a Finnish guy who was pulling his rickshaw in Singapore took a wrong turn and got them lost , and when backing up , they ran into an Ethiopian with a ricketty cane he got in Thailand .
Upon hitting the man , the Ethiopian fell in the mud created by a Hungarian restaurant owner washing his elephant on the street , and cried "phhhht" , as he had heard it on TV during the telecast of the 2007 Brazilian GP , when Hobbs had uttered the word when Lewis lost it all .
It's not actually known whether the utterance , in the case of the old man , was in reference to the rickshaw owner , it's rider , the guy from Thailand who had made the ricketty cane , or the owner of the elephant , as the old man was shortly thereafter trampled by the elephant because he hit the Hungarian with his cane .

The fans in Brazil took it to be an expletive , as in , "lower than elephant water" . With few elephants in Brazil , it is rarely used , and being so easy to explain , may be used more in future .
With so many nationalities involved , it's just got to be a racial thing .

That's what I think you don't understand .

:laugh:

Phhhhew, thanks for clearing that up. It all makes sense now :D

Finally, can you answer 2 more question that shouldn't be too much of a problem after that one.

1. What exsisted before the big ban, how was it caused and what exsists outside of the Universe.
2. How do FIA stewards come up with their decisions.

:)

Bagwan
28th October 2008, 14:46
:laugh:

Phhhhew, thanks for clearing that up. It all makes sense now :D

Finally, can you answer 2 more question that shouldn't be too much of a problem after that one.

1. What exsisted before the big ban, how was it caused and what exsists outside of the Universe.
2. How do FIA stewards come up with their decisions.

:)

The answer to both questions is :

Dice .

Tazio
28th October 2008, 15:42
No, to MaX

and you forgot ED ads
Well placed sources say he is negotiating money to do personal endorsements, including before and after videos
esp., as one "male urinary" problem solution ("Maxieflow")already has his name, will be getting sued over some sort of copyright infringment unless they pay upYour just sore because you weren't one of the "Senseable Seven" :)
Have a big swill! I'm Buying :beer:
Ciao