PDA

View Full Version : Here we go: KTM quits 250cc

domaza
16th October 2008, 11:27
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71431

This is what happens, when you stop listening to manufacturers ... added to that the loss of international TV deal with Eurosport and economical status, I think KTM will not be the last ones to quit.

neninja
16th October 2008, 14:27
From a manufacturers perspective it makes sense for KTM to put their development and costs behind the 125 class with the demise of 250's in the near future.

I wouldn't expect this to be the start of a manufacturer exodus although I think that development within 250's will probably stop and fewer teams will be able to afford customer Aprilia's to compete in 250GP's.

ChrisS
16th October 2008, 15:35
so are they also just entering 2 125cc bikes?

leopard
17th October 2008, 04:51
I am not a pro old status, any changes on rules such as engine and tyres regulations should be made in the right time. There must be great cost for every change, considering current situation perhaps the new rule to make the series more exiting introduced at the cost of teams like KTM, one of teams constantly give a challenge, to pull out of GP.

Each change, bigger team will be able to conform with it relatively easy, while the smaller ones need more time before they can catch them up a bit closer. Those realize that their resource is nowhere to follow the new requirement will always be two options, stay and keep looking for more resource, or give up.

Hope KTM will not initiate more team to make the same decision, but on the other hand this vacant will be triggering new teams, from China or anywhere, taking part in the GP.

axxexs
19th October 2008, 13:27
so are they also just entering 2 125cc bikes?

Thats the same number of factory bikes as Honda, Ducati, Suzuki and the rest do have in MotoGP! ;)

KTM did have 3 factory bikes in 125GP some year ago. But 2 bikes is normal from the "factorys" to have. The rest of the bikes is bye/leasing bikes that the privateer team is running. The articel doesnt say anything about how many KTM bikes that will be running from the privateers team in 125GP or 250GP. Just that the fabric do have 2 bikes on the 125GP grid as official bikes from the company 2009.

harsha
19th October 2008, 16:27
maybe the 250 cc should be removed and instead there should be a 600cc race with ( Same funds to all the teams ) instead....

NinjaMaster
29th October 2008, 10:12
My concern with this announcement is that it could be the tip of the iceberg for GP racing - not just in the 250 class. Costs are spiralling and sponsors are hard to find, even in a boom period of popularity. How long before the likes of Kawasaki decide that MotoGP is merely throwing good money after bad and pull out and concentrate on WSB where they have had success in the past.
Also, I think the proposed 600 conflicts too much with WSS for the factories and they have less to gain from it than showcasing their production models in WSS. Not to mention it flies in the face of the major supporters of the series in Aprilia and KTM who will have to build 600cc production bikes if they wish to continue.

I believe the MotoGP series is in a very critical time of it's history and the hierarchy are going to have to tread very carefully and get all interested parties onside if it is to move ahead and flourish in the way that WSB has.