PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love Daytona's security

jslone
2nd February 2007, 21:23
Scary when you think about it;

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/27/escapee.mom.ap/index.html

Hoss Ghoul
2nd February 2007, 23:58
This actually took place at USA International Speedway in Lakeland, Florida.

"A man believed to be Gay arrived Thursday night at USA International Speedway in Lakeland, Florida, telling the track's manager he was there with NASCAR racer Tony Stewart and asking him for help getting a new generator for the tour bus he was driving, officials said."

Mark in Oshawa
3rd February 2007, 07:42
I read about this story. Nothing to do with Daytona, which when I was last there very efficient about yelling at people who were in places they didn't want them, even if it made absolutely no sense.

I was there 9 years ago for the Rolex 24 as a timing and scoring volunteer. On the Friday Practice day, I went into the winner's circle to get my pic taken and a guard went nuts tossing us out of there. Never mind there was nothing to steal, I couldn't go anywhere but the circle, and not one of the security knobs noticed I was walking around on pit road where I REALLY could have been hurt by guys moving around crash carts and the like.(Yes my pass did allow me out there when there was no one on the track). No, they had 2 guys guarding an empty winner's circle and I still got in...

That said, race track security at most tracks can be run by overzealous no minds, for a hired security company in Toronto once told me I couldn't leave pit road to go to timing and scoring at the Molson Indy one year. My pass said where I could go, and Timing was it, and I was on pit road, where I couldn't be once they decided to bring out the CART cars. I was with the pit tour, and cut away to cut across the short road to get to the timing tower at pit exit. The security goon wouldn't allow me even tho logic said he had to as I had no where else I could go from THAT point. A Toronto Cop heard my argument, saw my pass, and told the security guard basically if he was any dumber, he would need an iron lung because he was too dumb to breathe. Never underestimate the stupidity of any "security" detail at a race track..never...

jslone
3rd February 2007, 18:27
I think this is a 1 time incident in this modern era of increased security and it made the news cus of the proximty to Tony Stewart.Most anyone else,it might not have made the news.