PDA

View Full Version : buying a rally car

foxfloat
13th October 2008, 18:58
i was thinking of buying a 94 Subaru impreza wrx and was wondering if i could make it look like the 97-99 subaru wrc's and about how much would i be spending to make it look like the wrc's and i mean everything including the front and rear wings.

alexlake
13th October 2008, 19:07
go for a later face lift model, least they have the right shape headlights/bonnet

foxfloat
13th October 2008, 19:44
i'm pretty sure that you can make a 94 look like a 97-99 wrc i really wouldn't want the older looking wrc's. here's a link to a website that makes parts that could make a 94 wrx into a 97-99 wrc. http://www.tyneteestuning.co.uk/6.html and could anyone tell me exactly what parts i would need to make it look like a 97-99 wrc and the price.

foxfloat
13th October 2008, 21:17
can someone give me a list of the differences of the wrx to the std impreza

Daniel
13th October 2008, 22:45
Not to be rude butdon't do it as you'll look like an idiot. There are a couple of fairly well done replica's around here and they just look silly. If you park it outside at all during the day the yellow stickers will fade and it'll look very sad quite quickly. Buy anything else and do it up but don't do an impreza because it's been done so so many times before. Buy a GT4, a lancer or a Legacy Turbo/RS and do the same thing and at least you'll look original. The advantage of those 3 cars is that they're group A cars so the body is the same as the rally version so no need to modify the body as with a WRCar replica.

foxfloat
14th October 2008, 03:44
i wouldn't have a problem with a 95-00 lancer but i still do like the Subaru wrx's. and i would still do the graphics replica for the lancer. i do some graphic design with dirt bikes so i know how thick the vinyl on the graphics is. and it shouldn't fade at all. and the fact that people have done the impreza's before doesn't really bother me they still looks sweet. and for the body work all i would need to do i believe is the front and rear wings for the impreza not sure how hard that would be to do or how much it would cost i would think 800 would do it. and then the lancer i would have to get a new front bumper hood scoops and then a different spoiler. either way i would be happy with a lancer or a impreza just kind of depends which car i could get cheaper and witch car would be cheaper to do a wrc replica. but thanks for the lancer idea. kinda expands my buying.

Daniel
14th October 2008, 07:41
i wouldn't have a problem with a 95-00 lancer but i still do like the Subaru wrx's. and i would still do the graphics replica for the lancer. i do some graphic design with dirt bikes so i know how thick the vinyl on the graphics is. and it shouldn't fade at all. and the fact that people have done the impreza's before doesn't really bother me they still looks sweet. and for the body work all i would need to do i believe is the front and rear wings for the impreza not sure how hard that would be to do or how much it would cost i would think 800 would do it. and then the lancer i would have to get a new front bumper hood scoops and then a different spoiler. either way i would be happy with a lancer or a impreza just kind of depends which car i could get cheaper and witch car would be cheaper to do a wrc replica. but thanks for the lancer idea. kinda expands my buying.
Well it's your money you're wasting and not mine :)

SubaruNorway
14th October 2008, 15:30
Have a look here maybe http://www.htautos.co.uk/10.html

Rally Hokkaido
14th October 2008, 15:53
You might like to have a look here too for some inspiration.
I know of one company here in Japan that sells the complete set of sponsor livery for Toshi Arai's PCWRC Impreza. They may do others, as well.

http://sv2.pos.to/~st205/replica/

cut the b.s.
14th October 2008, 17:00
Be careful not to let your dreams go to far :-)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=50A9wjJ40Dk

Personally I think you would be better doing a GpA $ door replica if you really want to do an Impreza as a 4door will never look really right no matter how much work you put in.

P.s. Dont know your budget but if you could go to a 2door Impreza I think done well it would look great

foxfloat
14th October 2008, 17:51
i know that the 97-99 wrc Subaru were the only the only ones with a 2dr. so the car that i would be looking for is somewere around a mid 90's Subaru impreza wrx 2dr. and I'm thinking that it would cost around 1600 to do a wrc replica.

Daniel
14th October 2008, 18:19
i know that the 97-99 wrc Subaru were the only the only ones with a 2dr. so the car that i would be looking for is somewere around a mid 90's Subaru impreza wrx 2dr. and I'm thinking that it would cost around 1600 to do a wrc replica.
£1600 is nothing. I would suspect it would cost many many times that.

Here we go. 2 years ago it was £1400 for the body and fitting and you've still got to paint it, insure it and then you have to buy some decent wheels and tyres. Then with 18" speedlines at £150 each and tyres which will probably be at least £100 each unless you want to go for a cheap brand and your brakes are going to look weedy in those nice big Speedline rims so you'll need to splash out on some nice big Brembo's and they're about a grand just for the fronts and a similar amount for the back. You seem to have your mind set on building something that has a body that looks like a WRCar's and for a little over your budget you'll get the body done but the rest just won't fit the image. If you buy a 4dr at least when you want to sell it you rip the stickers off and it's a normal Impreza again. Put a 22b kit on and most people will run a mile because they'll wonder what else you've done to it.......

http://www.subaru-impreza.org/forum/vendor-discounts-deals/22260-10-off-22b-body-kits-www-htautos-co-uk.html

SubaruNorway
14th October 2008, 19:47
If you want a 2 door other than the 22B you could get an American 2.5RS like mine http://videos.streetfire.net/album/Scooby_1031285.htm

No turbo though, and narow body. You can get a narow 22B front bumper if you don't wanna go all the way.

foxfloat
14th October 2008, 21:58
i think the car that i would go with is a 95 Subaru impreza sti 2 door 2.2 liter. the higher year i got the more it would cost. a 2.5 would be nice then i would go up to a 98 just all depends how much cash i have when buying the car. and i'd be slowly turning it in to a rally car over the years first i would do the body kit probably within a year of buying the car. and what i'm going to do with the car is drive it on the streets and i have a farm with 15 acres to drive around on.

SubaruNorway
14th October 2008, 22:09
Don't think you can get a 95 as a 2 door though...

foxfloat
15th October 2008, 00:17
95 was the first year they came out with a 2 door

Daniel
15th October 2008, 08:21
Ok then. If you're going to buy a 2.2 do you know what differences there are between the 2.2 and a turbo car? Are the ratio's in the box the same? Are the diff ratio's the same? You may find it cheaper just to buy a turbo car. If you want to rally it then you'll have put a cage in and you'll want to do that when you're doing the body and a cage isn't cheap. You really are set on this aren't you :)

foxfloat
15th October 2008, 19:56
i not going to rally in competitions that would cost way to much and theirs no competitions around were i live but like i said i just want to drive it on the streets and play around on my 15 acre farm so i wouldn't do the body cage and between the turbo and the 2.2 liter whatever i fine close enough around me i go with that.