PDA

View Full Version : F1's latest "green" initiative

Dave B
8th October 2008, 10:49
Green stripes on tyres. I kid ye not.

Formula One will show its support for the FIA's Make Cars Green campaign by running on specially prepared green-grooved tyres at the Japanese Grand Prix.

Bridgestone, the global partner for the FIA's campaign, launched the Make Cars Green tyre at a ceremony in Tokyo today, with support from Formula One teams McLaren-Mercedes and Ferrari, as well as their drivers Lewis Hamilton, Heikki Kovalainen, Felipe Massa and Kimi Räikkönen.

The initiative demonstrates that Formula One's teams and partners are backing the Make Cars Green campaign's goal to reduce the impact of motoring on the environment.

Full story: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=36198

Just when you thought you'd seen it all...

Knock-on
8th October 2008, 10:56
Green stripes on tyres. I kid ye not.

Full story: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=36198

Just when you thought you'd seen it all...

The circus goes from strength to strength ;)

leopard
8th October 2008, 11:01
I thought it was tyres with green reflector specially designed for night race to ease drivers looking at cars in front. If the stripe was made only to the color without raw material subject to conserve nature, I don't think it would really make a sense.

jens
8th October 2008, 11:08
Next time each car should have their own distinctive colour on tyres - would create even more variety in F1. :p : Or what about each groove having its own colour? :p :

Mark
8th October 2008, 11:29
Crazy crazy crazy!

If F1 really wanted to be green how about not spending a fortune lighting tracks and just have racing through the day?

AndyRAC
8th October 2008, 11:35
Crazy crazy crazy!

If F1 really wanted to be green how about not spending a fortune lighting tracks and just have racing through the day?

Quite unbelievable. F1 is meant to be the 'pinnacle' of Motorsport - yet how come Sportscars/WTCC have diesels, and Peugeot have unveiled a hybrid Le Mans racer, as well as Citroen unveiling a hybrid WRCar. Or am I missing something??

V12
8th October 2008, 12:14
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Typical F1 politics - making a big fuss about something rather than actually doing something.

ioan
8th October 2008, 12:41
Crazy crazy crazy!

:up:
Take care, there are many circus partizans around here! ;)

Valve Bounce
8th October 2008, 12:54
They are talking Ruddish!!

Rusty Spanner
8th October 2008, 13:25
This doesn't strike me as the best idea.
Using F1 to promote green initatives is a tough sell to begin with. Now promoting how wonderfull and green you are by painting green lines on your tires that only last 100 miles tops is asking for trouble.

Bagwan
8th October 2008, 13:46
It's not easy being green .-Kermit the frog .

I don't know . I think it fits pretty well , being that it's the colour of money .

I believe KERS will showcase an idea , and promptly hurt someone , and be dropped like a stone , killing the idea in front of millions .
We just witnessed a spectacle of excess in Singapore , with 16,000 un-necessary lights running on diesel supplied by the guys who would love the green initiative to fail .

Green lipstick in the grooves is mere lip service to a real cause .

ioan
8th October 2008, 13:52
It's not easy being green .-Kermit the frog .

I don't know . I think it fits pretty well , being that it's the colour of money .

I believe KERS will showcase an idea , and promptly hurt someone , and be dropped like a stone , killing the idea in front of millions .
We just witnessed a spectacle of excess in Singapore , with 16,000 un-necessary lights running on diesel supplied by the guys who would love the green initiative to fail .

Green lipstick in the grooves is mere lip service to a real cause .

Right.
Motor racing can't be environment friendly. It's a utopia.

Daniel
8th October 2008, 13:56
I personally think they should limit the amount of fuel an F1 car can use in a race. We'd see progression then.

Mark
8th October 2008, 14:07
I personally think they should limit the amount of fuel an F1 car can use in a race. We'd see progression then.

See: 1980's

Knock-on
8th October 2008, 14:19
Right.
Motor racing can't be environment friendly. It's a utopia.

Actually, F1 is carbon neutral.

Not everything, I know, but a good example that overs could follow.

schmenke
8th October 2008, 14:19
The "sport" is an embarrassment. :mark:

Brown, Jon Brow
8th October 2008, 14:26
Will the wet tyres have green grooves?

If no I hope it rains!

Daniel
8th October 2008, 14:31
Carbon neutral is a load of crap. Don't think i'm picking on you knock on because i say this everytime I hear the term. What should be looked at is reducing emissions and not just offsetting them at some point in the future.

V12
8th October 2008, 16:27
Will the wet tyres have green grooves?

If no I hope it rains!

Haha me too!!

Oh well, all in all another reason to boycott Bridgestone tyres I guess!

ioan
8th October 2008, 17:03
Actually, F1 is carbon neutral.

Not everything, I know, but a good example that overs could follow.

Nothing is carbon neutral.
It's just this idea of being carbon neutral that someone dreamed up in order to shut some people up.
First of all F1 is not a useful activity. I know that I watch it, but I question more and more everyday.
Secondly, just because they plant trees in the Amazon it doesn't mean that they don't produce lots of CO2. Just think about ow much fuel they consume over 1 race week end! It's incredible.

Daniel
8th October 2008, 18:27
It's just this idea of being carbon neutral that someone dreamed up in order to shut some people up.
First of all F1 is not a useful activity. I know that I watch it, but I question more and more everyday.
Secondly, just because they plant trees in the Amazon it doesn't mean that they don't produce lots of CO2. Just think about ow much fuel they consume over 1 race week end! It's incredible.

Agreed. The thing that gets me is that at some point some idiot is going to cut down the trees or whatever that make F1 carbon neutral so it'll negate any advantage there ever was to being carbon neutral. Now I don't believe that CO2 is causing these changes we're seeing now but I do firmly believe that if you're going to talk the talk you should walk the walk. In what year will the 2008 operations of Formula 1 be carbon neutral? By this time how many more tonnes of CO2 will be in the atmosphere. Planting trees and offsetting emissions against the future growth of those trees is a moronic way of doing it. It's this "yeah yeah yeah we'll sort it out in the future" mentality that may have got us into this trouble in the first place.

Again I just want to re-iterate that it's nothing personal Knockie :) I just hate this stupid notion of carbon neutral which is only neutral in the future and not now.

schmenke
8th October 2008, 18:50
... Just think about ow much fuel they consume over 1 race week end! It's incredible.

Not to mention the consumption of transporting teams and equipment from venue to venue every couple of weeks... :s

ioan
8th October 2008, 19:17
Not to mention the consumption of transporting teams and equipment from venue to venue every couple of weeks... :s

Yeah, that too.

ArrowsFA1
8th October 2008, 22:31
As initiatives go then green tyres are (to coin a phrase (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mostly_Harmless)) "mostly harmless" :)

Hawkmoon
8th October 2008, 22:41
I don't know what you're all on about. If you paint something red to make it go faster then it stands to reason that you paint something green to make it environmentally friendly. It's a perfectly logical and well established fact. How else do you explain the fact that Ferrari are at the pointy end and Honda are at the decidedly un-pointy end?

ShiftingGears
9th October 2008, 01:12

In perspective, the fuel used by the cars in an F1 season is less than a jumbo uses from London to Sydney. I think planting the trees is a great idea.

What's more of a concern is how much the Amazon is being deforested.

Brainwave! How about the FIA get a gardener to work in the middle of Istanbul Park. So it doesn't look like a construction site.

ShiftingGears
9th October 2008, 01:30
Well, since it is Toyota's home turf, maybe we should be thankful we haven't heard any news of an upcoming Formula Prius series.

ioan
9th October 2008, 09:51
In perspective, the fuel used by the cars in an F1 season is less than a jumbo uses from London to Sydney.

And how many people does that plane transport? Not 20, for sure.
Did you also calculate the fuel they use during their private practice sessions?

Daniel
9th October 2008, 10:03
Well a 747 burns something like a tonne of fuel for every 3 or 4 tonnes of fuel it carries. I don't know what the fuel burn levels for f1 cars are but i bet they're betties than that.

Dave B
11th October 2008, 14:06
The tyres looked horrible on TV, and it was very hard to tell the compounds apart.

markabilly
11th October 2008, 14:16
Next time each car should have their own distinctive colour on tyres - would create even more variety in F1. :p : Or what about each groove having its own colour? :p :

Wow, dude, sounds like really groovey, man.....wait until Obama hears, he will want to hit on that too, dude....

hey don't bogart that joint my friend, pass it over here...

VkmSpouge
11th October 2008, 14:54
I think they took going green a little literally. :p :

woody2goody
11th October 2008, 15:03
The tyres looked really good, but they should have made it slightly easier to tell the compounds apart. They did look cool though.

CaptainRaiden
11th October 2008, 19:52
This is the typical businessman tactic of "Let's do some advertising bullsh*t stunt to make the environmentalists happy and for them to shut the hell up." Really, sometimes the amount of hypocrisy in this sport is astonishing.