PDA

View Full Version : Rossi's quick adjustment

edlalu
5th October 2008, 23:38
During one of the on board shot at Phillip Island, Rossi was passing into a turn and took his hand off the grip to adjust a dial above his clutch lever.

Anyone know/guess what he is dialing in there? It didn't look like the traditional clutch lever cable adjust, and I thought the M1 was "fly by wire" and wouldn't have a cable.

jim mcglinchey
6th October 2008, 08:14
Theres an adjuster to compensate for brake pad wear but surely it would be on the right side, unless its easier to work with the left hand during the actual race.

leopard
6th October 2008, 10:06
It's gear shifter, do we think M1 is a mountain bike? :)

gco0307
6th October 2008, 10:08
Theres an adjuster to compensate for brake pad wear but surely it would be on the right side, unless its easier to work with the left hand during the actual race.

Apparently it was the brake adjustment (as reported in other forums) and it is located on the left as to place it on the right would or could mean impeding the throttle hand when making adjustments.

Garry

leopard
6th October 2008, 10:22
I guess it was additional instrument installed like turbo function, perhaps designed specially for Rossi when having to ride with bruised neck, still think that anything related with brake should be in the right handle, gain the engine braking while throttling off, there is no need to make braking while pulling throttle at the same time. I could be wrong though. :)

neninja
6th October 2008, 10:29
Yep, it's a remote brake span adjuster. It adjusts the span of the brake lever to compensate for brakes going off due to pad wear and the brake fluid heating up. So as the brake lever starts to come further back to the bar during a race the rider winds it out a bit further.

As has been said it's mounted on the clutch side so that the rider can adjust it on the straights without having to roll off the throttle.

They are fitted to pretty much all bikes in MotoGP and WSB

leopard
6th October 2008, 10:49
Acceptable, I just noticed that the pads are adjustable, my perception was that the brake pads and the pistons are placed and assembled in the caliper. The pad thickness was designed to enable working during the race. I am too much worried about jeopardy the improper adjustment during the race may result being locked and unable to continue the race...

6th October 2008, 13:50
Re Rossi's adjustment.
He makes an adjustment every time he rides......like pulling his jocks out of la crack de la bum. Someone in the garage must give him a "wedgie" before each race. :eek:

edlalu
7th October 2008, 03:36
Someone in the garage must give him a "wedgie" before each race. :eek:

Bet that might be Colin Edwards. Seems like the kind of thing he'd do.

neninja
7th October 2008, 10:04
Acceptable, I just noticed that the pads are adjustable, my perception was that the brake pads and the pistons are placed and assembled in the caliper. The pad thickness was designed to enable working during the race. I am too much worried about jeopardy the improper adjustment during the race may result being locked and unable to continue the race...

The pads aren't adjustable. It's the lever span (distance from the bar) that gets adjusted.

jim mcglinchey
7th October 2008, 10:42
[quote="Rod Richardson"]Re Rossi's adjustment.
He makes an adjustment every time he rides......like pulling his jocks out of la crack de la bum

Theres an " adjusting his knob " joke here somewhere, but I couldnt be that cheap...

31st October 2008, 19:23
Thank you! ------ Bobby Jones (Air Jordans (http://www.oknike.com)). http://www.oknike.com