PDA

View Full Version : TV Coverage in the Uk

wilko10
2nd February 2007, 15:07
Just wondering if anyone knows if there is going to be coverage of Nascar in the UK for 2007.

We subscribed to NASN TV and watched the Cup last year (it was great) but they currently say they are still not confirmed to get it!!!

I really really want to watch it and its nearly the start of the season, anyone any ideas?

Nicki

djparky
2nd February 2007, 19:05
well that's a very good question- 2 Feb and still no announcement- I emailed NASN and got the following

"In response to your query, I can only confirm that NASN are in negotiations with NASCAR at present regarding this years coverage but we do not expect to make an announcement regarding NASCAR coverage until nearer the start of the season,the next season does not start until mid February.

We have no confirmation as yet regarding future programming, as a result of the recent announcement about ESPN acquiring NASN, although NASN will still remain part of the Setanta Sports Package, t here is currently no further information available at this time. All future updates regarding our programming will be announced via our website, Please continue to visit http://www.nasn.com for all the latest news, updates and announcements which are released on our website in the first instance, as soon as they are available.

We do work very hard to please our subscribers and I can confirm that your comments have been forwarded to our programming and selection team. "

With Champ Car/IRL's ongoing "issues" I've gotten into NASCAR thanks to NASN's coverage (which has been excellent) and I'd hate to lose that now- Motors TV used to show Busch but they've lost the contract for this year- it would be great if Nextel Cup, Busch and Craftsman Trucks all turned up on NASN

GARYGAZZA
2nd February 2007, 20:54
Having watched all races for the past 3 years on NASN my sunday evenings are incomplete.Last year NASN showed coverage of the preseason gatorade duel and the Budshoot out,but with only 8 days to go there seems to be no listings as yet.Last year NASN decided that they would show the last 8 chase races on NASN2 which because i am a telewest cable customer i had to subscribe to setanta sports package at extra cost to myself.NASN stop messing with die hard Nascar fan in uk and get it sorted!
PS yes it would be nice for NASN to cover Busch and Craftman truck series.

wilko10
3rd February 2007, 12:01
Thanks for the replies, still not been able to find anything else either, if I find any news I will post.

It will be a real shame if we don't get coverage-partly as we are subscribed to Setanta until May and secondly I already have the celebratory beers in for the first race!!

Nicki

Rocsta
3rd February 2007, 14:50
Looks like we could be heading for bad news :(

http://www.crash.net/news_view.asp?cid=2&id=142760&bhcp=1

cjhill2002
3rd February 2007, 15:10
all depends where theyre getting their information from.

'Even though ESPN have returned as a Nextel Cup broadcaster in the United States in 2007, their coverage isn't due to begin until the second half of the 2007 season with FOX and TNT covering the first 18 races, including the prized Daytona 500.'

This doen't mean anything, ESPN own all the rights to NASCAR.

NASN knows its in their best interest to get Live NASCAR or face huge subscription losses, i just hope NASCAR realise they actually do have a huge fan base outside the US so they can reach a deal!

captin 1 VXR
3rd February 2007, 15:39
intresting read http://www.ft.com/cms/s/b509e28a-7be4-11db-b1c6-0000779e2340.html but still no clearer on tv rights in europe

Robert Ryan
3rd February 2007, 23:53
i just hope NASCAR realise they actually do have a huge fan base outside the US so they can reach a deal!
No they do not but are trying to build a fan base outside the US.

DonnieDarco
4th February 2007, 12:30
The thing is, we do have coverage on Channel Five, but its two days after the race, highlights only and shown in the small hours. While I'd welcome more coverage, I would be very annoyed if it went to Sky as I don't have it, and can't without special planning permission, and at considerable cost.

So I'm hoping that Channel Five improve on theirs.

JTK
4th February 2007, 13:09
Hi, am new to this forum, having only recently found it!! But have been a motor racing fan for years.

I subscribed to NASN a good few years ago essentially for the Nascar coverage, and like a good few others am waiting to see what happens before possibly cancelling subscription to what is now the Setanta package, though as has been said now that ESPN have taken over NASN probably best to wait a while.

ABC/ESPN has rights to last 18 races of Nextel Cup for next 7 years doesnt it? with Fox and then TNT having first part of season, also ESPN have rights to whole Busch series for next 7 years, so will probably wait to see what ESPN offer us here in the UK. It will be a desperate disappointment if after 4/5 years great coverage we are left with little and possibly none. What about Sky showing us Fox and TNT covered races?

(Presume IRL will be on Sky and Champ Car on Eurosport as last year?)

pwb
4th February 2007, 15:28
Hi, am new to this forum, having only recently found it!! But have been a motor racing fan for years.

I subscribed to NASN a good few years ago essentially for the Nascar coverage, and like a good few others am waiting to see what happens before possibly cancelling subscription to what is now the Setanta package, though as has been said now that ESPN have taken over NASN probably best to wait a while.

ABC/ESPN has rights to last 18 races of Nextel Cup for next 7 years doesnt it? with Fox and then TNT having first part of season, also ESPN have rights to whole Busch series for next 7 years, so will probably wait to see what ESPN offer us here in the UK. It will be a desperate disappointment if after 4/5 years great coverage we are left with little and possibly none. What about Sky showing us Fox and TNT covered races?

(Presume IRL will be on Sky and Champ Car on Eurosport as last year?)

ESPN have the internatuional rights to sell. So in other words:

Germany - Premire has purchased the rights
France - AB Moteurs have purchased the rights
Nordic Cos - Viasat have purchased the rights
UK - nobody has purchased (yet) the Live rights.

In my opinion someone will show it - ESPN / NASN I still expect to come through.

Until the sale is completed I would not expect much.

jeffmr2
4th February 2007, 19:35
ESPN have the internatuional rights to sell. So in other words:

Germany - Premire has purchased the rights
France - AB Moteurs have purchased the rights
Nordic Cos - Viasat have purchased the rights
UK - nobody has purchased (yet) the Live rights.

Forgive my igorance on this matter but if the races are being shown accross europe is there some sort of satellite dish system that can be bought to pick up these european broadcasts?

Speedworx
4th February 2007, 23:48
I have e mailed NASN. Will let you know what they reply with.

XM369
5th February 2007, 12:53
I have also emailed NASN to see whats going on.

Has anyone managed to find an alternate supplier of NASCAR in the UK? i notice that it is available in germany and france, what do we need in the UK to get one of these options?

Paul

gary_580
5th February 2007, 14:05
At least Five US will continue to carry the highlights

NASCAR Nextel Cup (Motoring)

Time - 01:50 - 02:40 (50 minutes long)

When - Tuesday 13th February on five

Stock car racing action from the Daytona International Speedway as the the NEXTEL Cup 2007 gets under way with the Budweiser Shoot Out.

pwb
5th February 2007, 14:15
I have also emailed NASN to see whats going on.

Has anyone managed to find an alternate supplier of NASCAR in the UK? i notice that it is available in germany and france, what do we need in the UK to get one of these options?

Paul

AB Moteurs is the easiest to get through a sub to French sat tv (but no English commentary). That is what I have. Premiere Germany does have English commentary. For both you need a sat dish pointing at Astra and the appropriate subscription and decoder.

cgs
5th February 2007, 14:31
so no FTA feeds over europe then :(

XM369
5th February 2007, 16:59
Reply from NASN...

Thank you for contacting NASN - the only TV channel dedicated to North American sports in Europe.

In response to your query, I can only confirm that NASN are in negotiations with NASCAR at present regarding this years coverage and we expect to make an announcement regarding NASCAR coverage for the upcoming season very soon.

I can assure you that NASN will constantly strive to bring you the very best shows featuring news, views, highlights and analysis available, however, we have no confirmation as yet regarding future programming, as a result of the recent announcement about ESPN acquiring NASN, although NASN will still remain part of the Setanta Sports Package, there is currently no further information available at this time. All future updates regarding our programming will be announced via our website, Please continue to visit for all the latest news, updates and announcements which are released on our website in the first instance, as soon as they are available.

colinspooky
5th February 2007, 17:05
That's the reply I had and it is also published on post 2 of this thread. Standard stuff then - I am livid it is getting so close to the season start, and still nothing. How can it be so hard in this day of global communication.

RacingRainMan
5th February 2007, 17:52
I just moved to Scotland from Canada...is NASN a terrestrial channel? Is it on Freeview?

muggle not
5th February 2007, 18:26
If worse comes to worse then try:

http://www.tvunetworks.com/index.htm

I believe they carry the Fox Network which means you could view at least the first half of the season.

cjhill2002
5th February 2007, 18:29
only trouble with that is the coverage is delayed by 3 hours, so no good for the 500 which starts at 8pm our time

cjhill2002
5th February 2007, 19:03
this thread is interesting!!!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...d.php?t=531614

Speedworx
5th February 2007, 19:50
I just moved to Scotland from Canada...is NASN a terrestrial channel? Is it on Freeview?

http://www.nasn.com

Its not on freeview as its a pay channel. Ok if you like the other stuff they show.

muggle not
5th February 2007, 20:28
only trouble with that is the coverage is delayed by 3 hours, so no good for the 500 which starts at 8pm our time
Guess it depends on how bad you want to watch the 500. :)

Where else can you watch it.

cgs
5th February 2007, 21:13
torrent websites. if you want details, PM me

Georgeboi999
5th February 2007, 21:22
I think all the UK channels are stupid. Nascar is big in uk but nobody wants to have live coverage of the races.

jeffmr2
5th February 2007, 23:17

Is this delay just for the daytona 500? With the few races i tuned into tvu last year the delay was just a few minutes.

jeffmr2
5th February 2007, 23:44
Just checked NASN tv listing for sat 10th and theres no mention of the Bud chootout,just college hoops and NHL,guess that ends any hope of nascar coverage here in the uk this year.

cjhill2002
6th February 2007, 00:11
Is this delay just for the daytona 500? With the few races i tuned into tvu last year the delay was just a few minutes.

If u compare the TVU listings to the actuall FOX ones all through this week there is about a 3 hour delay.

Would be great if it was only delayed by a few minutes

GARYGAZZA
6th February 2007, 00:13
Just E-mailed Nasn And Chucked My Ten Pennies Worth In,not That They Care About It Any Way.if They Dont Get Coverage Shown In The Uk It Will Be Loss Revenue To Nasn And Nascar As Well As Loads Of Unhappy Die Hard Nascar Fans In The Uk.

XM369
6th February 2007, 12:53
Whats the betting NASN/Satanic or what ever they are called now do not sign up with NASCAR and this is all a delaying tactic to ensure we dont all cancel for as long as possible.
If they were in negociations with NASCAR it wouldnt take this long, its not as if its complicated

Nascar say we want $$$$, NASN say we off er $$$$ less, nascar say not enough NASN increase the offer to $$$$$ NASCAR say fine, sign here.

what we need is someone in the states to feed it over the internet to us fior free :-)

dwboogityfan
6th February 2007, 18:36
Its not looking good for us UK NASCAR fans I'm afraid. I think NASN did have the coverage they would have announced it by now.
While I'm hugely disappointed if we don't get the Nextel Cup live, am more disappointed at the pathetic levels of customer service shown by NASN. Will be canceling my subscription at the end of the week unless we get a miracle. Will get Trackpass instead and go back to listening to MRN and PRN.

cjhill2002
6th February 2007, 20:30
I have read on the MotorsTV forum and someone said the word is there will be a very late deal secured on Thursday.

inimitablestoo
6th February 2007, 20:40
For those of us without stallactite dishes, Five has the Bud Shootout next Monday/Tuesday overnight. That's a race that wasn't shown last year, and about 24 hours earlier than most races were shown in 2006 to boot.

GARYGAZZA
6th February 2007, 22:22
Got the same reply from nasn as evertbody else.If they are not going to show it then why keep us on tender hooks.I cancelled nasn last november when the season finished ,the good thing with telewest cable you are not tied down to a 12 month contract .I know c5 show 50 minutes highlight,but im greedy and want full coverage.

pwb
6th February 2007, 22:22
Its not looking good for us UK NASCAR fans I'm afraid. I think NASN did have the coverage they would have announced it by now.
While I'm hugely disappointed if we don't get the Nextel Cup live, am more disappointed at the pathetic levels of customer service shown by NASN. Will be canceling my subscription at the end of the week unless we get a miracle. Will get Trackpass instead and go back to listening to MRN and PRN.

Last time NASN did a deal with NASCAR it was 2 days before the first race - so if they announced a deal tomorrow it would actually be earlier than before!

GARYGAZZA
6th February 2007, 22:28
dwboogityfan if you are a uk resident you cant get trackpass outside states/canada.I tried last season.

Speedworx
6th February 2007, 23:46
I'm lucky and had signed up to trackpass when realplayer dd it.

I believe if you give a false USA address you can get it as they never send you anything in the post anyway.

RaceFanStan
6th February 2007, 23:51
dwboogityfan if you are a uk resident you cant get trackpass outside states/canada.
I tried last season.
That's weird because I think there would be no international barriers to the internet. :confused:
World trade can exchange money between countries, you would think NASCAR could sell wordwide ...
sounds to me like it is some kind of marketing over-ride to me ...
or else someone @ NASCAR is missing out on a money-making opportunity. :eek:

Speedworx
7th February 2007, 00:09
Their store used to be USA/Canada only, but has changed. Maybe they have changed trackpass too. Someone needs to give it a try.

GARYGAZZA
7th February 2007, 08:28
I cant remember 100 percent but i think its the opptions they give you when you fill out your address and phone details,the only option is US and Canada.

XM369
7th February 2007, 09:44
We have been signed up for trackpass for the last 2 years and were uk based. i seem to recall that we used nascars head office address to register :-)

XM369
8th February 2007, 10:05
I asked NASCAR a question yesterday, here is there response to my question, and question is below also.

Why they didnt bothere saying i cant be arsed answering you i dont know, it would have had the same effect.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Dear NASCAR.COM Customer,
We are currently only available to the United States and Canada. We are working diligently on expanding out to other countries but we do not currently have an ETA on this as of right now. Please contact our Main Office at 1-386-253-0611. They will be able to assist you better then we can. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us via chat or email. Thank you for your time and have a nice day

Thank you,

NASCAR.COM Staff

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Watching Nascar On TV In United Kingdom.

Hi Guys,

I have been watching Nascar on TV in the uk for the past 2 years, and have even ventured over to the states specifically to watch Nascar (Atlanta March 2005) and are booked in to come to Lowe's in May.

Its now looking like we cant watch Nascar (Nextel cup series) in the uk as NASN/Setanta sports (or what ever they are called now) has not signed up with you for this season even though myself and many other are still paying them for the service.

Could you please answer the following questions :-

1. Are there any other ways of getting Nascar to TV in
UK?
2. Are you still in negotiations with NASN?
3. Could we have an overseas supporters section on the
Nascar site then we can arrange to come over in groups.

Please help, you are in danger of loosing a massive new market if we loose live Nascar in Europe/UK, Nascar is getting more popular over here that support will be lost unless someone can get the live TV rights to the Nextel cup.

Kind Regards

captin 1 VXR
8th February 2007, 10:27
nasn should have it in place after bush shoot out

jonv
8th February 2007, 11:10
nasn should have it in place after bush shoot out

It's the Bud Shootout. Where did you get this information from ? NASN website still has no details.

captin 1 VXR
8th February 2007, 11:17
bud shoot out is not the start of the seson so thay have 2 weeks to dot the eyes and cross the t s ..

but look at nasn2 and 2 am sunday its repeats no live games unlike nasn 1 . so if bud race is on it be on nasn2

gary_580
8th February 2007, 14:53
bud shoot out is not the start of the seson so thay have 2 weeks to dot the eyes and cross the t s ..

but look at nasn2 and 2 am sunday its repeats no live games unlike nasn 1 . so if bud race is on it be on nasn2

Ermmm the Bud shoot out is the start of the season, its not the start of the Nextel Cup Competition but it is the start of the season.

In previous years the Bud shoot out and the 150 qualifying races have all been shown

bmw fan
8th February 2007, 15:54
Just spoke to setanta Nascar IS being shown it is on Rangers tv this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cjhill2002
8th February 2007, 18:36
Just spoke to Setanta myself and got 'no more information to hand, check the website'

Said there would be an announcement 2moro

GARYGAZZA
8th February 2007, 21:33
If they show it i hope it will be on NASN and not Rangers tv .With cable NASN is a stand alone premium channel whilst Rangers tv which includes NASN2 is part of the setanta sports package which is another premium channel.Last year coverage on NASN started with the Bud shootout and the gaterade duel.Totally agree Gary580 Although not a points race the season starts here.

pwb
8th February 2007, 22:24
If they show it i hope it will be on NASN and not Rangers tv .With cable NASN is a stand alone premium channel whilst Rangers tv which includes NASN2 is part of the setanta sports package which is another premium channel.Last year coverage on NASN started with the Bud shootout and the gaterade duel.Totally agree Gary580 Although not a points race the season starts here.

It can not be on NASN main channel as that is broadcast in Scandinavia and Viasat have the NASCAR rights.

djparky
9th February 2007, 21:44
for what it's worth I can find nothing at all for NASCAR on NASN , NASN 2 or any of the Setanta Sports channels- for this weekend and sadly nothing for next weekend either- I'm actually going to Daytona so I'll give them a bit longer to sort this out-

if there is no NASCAR when I get back then I'll be cancelling my subscription straight away- and I'll let them know using words of one syllable my feelings about being strung along with this (assuming worst case scenario)- in which case Sunday nights will be Champ Car and (god help me) IRL races once again

pwb
9th February 2007, 23:34
for what it's worth I can find nothing at all for NASCAR on NASN , NASN 2 or any of the Setanta Sports channels- for this weekend and sadly nothing for next weekend either- I'm actually going to Daytona so I'll give them a bit longer to sort this out-

if there is no NASCAR when I get back then I'll be cancelling my subscription straight away- and I'll let them know using words of one syllable my feelings about being strung along with this (assuming worst case scenario)- in which case Sunday nights will be Champ Car and (god help me) IRL races once again

Well I blame NASCAR as we all know NASN want to show it and they can't without NASCAR giving the ok.

brewerkd
10th February 2007, 12:00
you can watch the shootoout ( and 1st half of the schedule ) on your pc, hope does not come to that, as i hate all the advert breaks the US have, but better than nothing.

http://www.viidoo.com/en/index.php

just donload the player and then go the the fox channel, hey presto

GARYGAZZA
10th February 2007, 21:06
Do you know the channel number for fox? with viidoo.com

GARYGAZZA
10th February 2007, 21:13
think i found it.channel 10011.Bud shootout showing at 1 am 11/2/07 also Daytona 500 qualifiying at 1900 on 11/02/07.If it works its better than nothing and its FREE.

knewitt
13th February 2007, 22:29
Spoke to NASN again today. I was told they are in a bidding war with Eurosport TV and that the season does not start until Sunday.

It looks as though either NASN or Eurosport will definitely show it. I hope so, coz I can't watch a 3'' square picture on my pc for 3 hours!

SOD
13th February 2007, 22:52
wow, euroflop is bidding to show NASCAR!

XM369
13th February 2007, 23:51
I tried watching fox via tvu player its great, connect to tv using svhs output from laptop and its just as good as the eurosport quality from sky, made watching qualifying good, and its free!

XM369
14th February 2007, 00:02
look what i found...

http://www.eurosport.com/nascar/

Speedworx
14th February 2007, 00:06
look what i found...

http://www.eurosport.com/nascar/

Doubt it. Most of the news on that page is very old.

pentti
14th February 2007, 12:08
In Uk ch 5 is showing the whole race tape delaied 00.10 -3.00 late sunday night.

Bev_Alvin
14th February 2007, 19:40
Hi
I have just emailed Eurosport to try and get confirmation or otherwise ref them bidding for Nascar, also asked if it would be on EurosportUK because if its only on Eurosport Europe we in the UK are STUFFED. I will post here if I get a reply.
I have also checked out Premier-Germany as someone else suggested, but you can only get a subscription in Germany/Austria unless there are any pirate cards about.
Cheers

gary_580
14th February 2007, 19:50
Hi
I have just emailed Eurosport to try and get confirmation or otherwise ref them bidding for Nascar, also asked if it would be on EurosportUK because if its only on Eurosport Europe we in the UK are STUFFED. I will post here if I get a reply.
I have also checked out Premier-Germany as someone else suggested, but you can only get a subscription in Germany/Austria unless there are any pirate cards about.
Cheers

I dont think any bidder is going to publically state that they are bidding

cyd
14th February 2007, 19:50
In Uk ch 5 is showing the whole race tape delaied 00.10 -3.00 late sunday night.

Thanks Pentti. Are you going this year?

knewitt
14th February 2007, 21:45
Spoke to NASN again today.

They said they could not announce anything until Friday, but they were 'expecting a positive outcome to their negotiations'. Fingers crossed!

pentti
14th February 2007, 22:42
Thanks Pentti. Are you going this year?Don't know. Hate flying.Specially jet lag coming back.Went to Talladega last october first and last time.Seats are not banked enough.You could only see top of cars because they were traveling so near the wall.I also saw Lowes autumn races.That was good racing(not always great racing there)but traffic was awfull.Still prefer Bristol,Richmond and Martinsville. Not necessary in that order.
Tonight 22.30-23.00 at ESPN in tvu player Nascar now. Seems I have lost Speed ch today.
Are you going?

hunter26
15th February 2007, 00:00
hi tried tvu, watched nascar 24/7 on espn despite my slow broadband connection! Any body know the channel number for speed channel?
Was going to try and watch the duel 125's thursday. Just need to find it!!

CREWDAWG
15th February 2007, 00:21
"Don't know."

Gotta try Vegas race! You will love it mate....

DonnieDarco
15th February 2007, 00:21

Channel Five are showing the race on Monday the 19th Feb, but not the whole race. The coverage begins at 1.50am and finishes at 2.40am.

pentti
15th February 2007, 00:35
Channel Five are showing the race on Monday the 19th Feb, but not the whole race. The coverage begins at 1.50am and finishes at 2.40am.
I doupt your info.I think is's 3 hours programe.I am not always right but never wrong!

pentti
15th February 2007, 00:36
hi tried tvu, watched nascar 24/7 on espn despite my slow broadband connection! Any body know the channel number for speed channel?
Was going to try and watch the duel 125's thursday. Just need to find it!!Wheels

DonnieDarco
15th February 2007, 00:42
I have my Radio Times open in front of me, and Channel Five have only ever shown highlights of each Nascar race this past two years :D

Sunday night's (18th Feb) viewing is listed as follows:

9pm Miss Congeniality
11.10pm Disorderly conduct
12.10am Making of the world's strongest man
1am World's strongest man
1.50am Adventure triathalon
2.15am Uefa cup football
5.10am Ironman triathalon

We get 50 minutes of coverage the following night, unless they have changed their minds after my Radio Times went to print :D

cgs
15th February 2007, 00:59
you need a new TV guide!!!

http://www.mydigiguide.com/dgx/wbl.dll?a=2&h=49&dt=45d8e69f&ch=5 ;)

DonnieDarco
15th February 2007, 01:09
Hmmm, maybe I do!! That has it listed as almost 3 whole hours of coverage, which would be a vast improvement on my listing :D

I checked the Radio Times online too, but that didn't show any changes.

I notice the Five site also shows the 50 mins of coverage the following night that I mentioned. Seems odd they show it two nights in a row.

Pieter Dams
15th February 2007, 11:47
when NASN used to show tape delayed coverage on Monday mornings, their TV schedule also listed it as a 3h program, but they showed the whole race all the same, even if it lasted over 3 hours. sometimes they did cut the cautions and some commercial breaks, though. let's hope channel 5 will do the same thing. i just hope they will also show the pre and post race shows.

acorn
15th February 2007, 12:30
Hmmm, maybe I do!! That has it listed as almost 3 whole hours of coverage, which would be a vast improvement on my listing :D

I checked the Radio Times online too, but that didn't show any changes.

I notice the Five site also shows the 50 mins of coverage the following night that I mentioned. Seems odd they show it two nights in a row.

the sunday night show(from 0010-0310) was a late deal and as most schedules are sent out quite a bit in advance any revisions take time to filter through. obviously those on easily changed media ie teletext or epg or website will show the revisions more quickly than say the radio times in hard copy(or sky's magazine which regularly gives the wrong dates for progs either because of late schedule changes or duff info) .

so the moral is, check the most current listings.

DonnieDarco
15th February 2007, 12:41
I don't need a moral Acorn, but thanks :D The radio times online site does show changes to schedules, but this one wasn't listed there either, as of last night.

cyd
15th February 2007, 13:54
I was watching something on Channel Five last night and it actually came up on the screen about Daytona coverage from 00:10-3:10. We live in hope.

cyd
15th February 2007, 14:03
Don't know. Hate flying.Specially jet lag coming back.Went to Talladega last october first and last time.Seats are not banked enough.You could only see top of cars because they were traveling so near the wall.I also saw Lowes autumn races.That was good racing(not always great racing there)but traffic was awfull.Still prefer Bristol,Richmond and Martinsville. Not necessary in that order.
Tonight 22.30-23.00 at ESPN in tvu player Nascar now. Seems I have lost Speed ch today.
Are you going?

No, unfortunately, we can't go this year. I've never been to Daytona and would love to experience SpeedWeeks at least once before I die.........
Actually, I find the more I fly, the better the jet lag gets. This Christmas it wasn't bad at all. I'm surprised about the seating at 'Dega. I've only been to Dover since I'm a Delaware native, but there isn't a bad seat in the house, like a big soup bowl. :D
I'm really surprised you're not in Norway for the rally!

DonnieDarco
15th February 2007, 14:41
I was watching something on Channel Five last night and it actually came up on the screen about Daytona coverage from 00:10-3:10. We live in hope.

Does anyone know if this extended coverage is going to be a regular thing this year on Five? I'd be very happy if it is :D

XM369
15th February 2007, 14:45
definatly on 5, there online listings are showing it

http://www.mydigiguide.com/dgx/wbl.dll?a=2&h=49&dt=45d8567e&ch=5

cos
15th February 2007, 19:09
It'll be "as live" on five from 0010. It may well become a regular fixture, NASCAR seem impressed with the viewing figures in the UK despite the late slots and lack of promotion: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56765

pentti
16th February 2007, 21:30
No, unfortunately, we can't go this year. I've never been to Daytona and would love to experience SpeedWeeks at least once before I die.........
Actually, I find the more I fly, the better the jet lag gets. This Christmas it wasn't bad at all. I'm surprised about the seating at 'Dega. I've only been to Dover since I'm a Delaware native, but there isn't a bad seat in the house, like a big soup bowl. :D
I'm really surprised you're not in Norway for the rally!
In Daytona you have to be more than 12th row to see back sraigth. Too busy to go Norway.But a couple of my pupils are doing rather well at this moment.1st and 4th are not too bad I think!

cyd
17th February 2007, 11:10
Too busy to go Norway.But a couple of my pupils are doing rather well at this moment.1st and 4th are not too bad I think!

That's a shame you couldn't go---looks very exciting! It must make you feel great to see that.

knewitt
17th February 2007, 18:45
Bad news! Just been told by NASN that they do not have the Daytona 500.

They say they are still negotiating for the rest of the season. I have cancelled my subscription and it's TVU on the computer or time delayed on Channel 5.

Does anyone know if the Channel 5 commentary is US commentators or English commentators? When Eurosport showed NASCAR a few years ago I remember the commentary was dire. Some scottish bloke who had not got a clue who was who or what was happening!

cyd
17th February 2007, 19:14
Bad news! Just been told by NASN that they do not have the Daytona 500.

They say they are still negotiating for the rest of the season. I have cancelled my subscription and it's TVU on the computer or time delayed on Channel 5.

Does anyone know if the Channel 5 commentary is US commentators or English commentators? When Eurosport showed NASCAR a few years ago I remember the commentary was dire. Some scottish bloke who had not got a clue who was who or what was happening!

Yeah, that's old news about NASN, but I think possibly RangersTV (or something) has it, but you have to buy the whole Setanta package. It's a ripoff. I've watched highlights on Channel 5 before and it IS the American commentary. I remember the coverage you're talking about on Eurosport, and I agree, it truly was horrific. I'm going to watch the pre-race hoopla on TVU, but it crashes the computer if I leave it on too long. Delayed broadcast it is, I'm afraid. :(

Jamsyke
17th February 2007, 19:14
Does anyone know if the Channel 5 commentary is US commentators or English commentators?

It was US commentators for the Bud Shootout highlights. I expect it will be the same for the 500.

DonnieDarco
17th February 2007, 19:58
The Nascar highlights I've seen over the past year always have the American commentary.

pentti
17th February 2007, 20:37
I spoke to NASN yesterday.I asked, can you tell me some thing off records and she said, they are very likely show Nascar after the end of feb. But I have lost confidence with NASN so I do not know.

DonnieDarco
18th February 2007, 00:02
I don't mind if NASN keep it, I'd just like Five to have the rights to show the full race delayed, like tomorrow night. Then at least I'd get to see each race in full, even if its not live.

oily oaf
18th February 2007, 12:32
I don't mind if NASN keep it, I'd just like Five to have the rights to show the full race delayed, like tomorrow night. Then at least I'd get to see each race in full, even if its not live.

I must have the same TV guide as you Donney as mine has the race from 1.50am till 2.40am Tuesday :confused:

Like you I'm hopin' for a more extended package. Still I supose we should be grateful that at least we're getting a few scraps :)

Boogity boogity etc :D

inimitablestoo
18th February 2007, 13:25
Having caught some of Five's other live US sports broadcasts over the years, I imagine they'll have a UK studio-based presenter and expert, and the US feed, complete with US commentary. Whether they'll keep the breaks in and go to the studio, seeing as they're not actually showing it live (but it is "as live") I don't know.

Yes, the TV guides all have the usual Monday/Tuesday highlights (it's on Five US on Tuesday at 7pm as well, according to RT) but Five's extended deal was only concluded earlier this week, long after most of them would have gone to press.

DonnieDarco
18th February 2007, 14:25
I must have the same TV guide as you Donney as mine has the race from 1.50am till 2.40am Tuesday :confused:

Like you I'm hopin' for a more extended package. Still I supose we should be grateful that at least we're getting a few scraps :)

Boogity boogity etc :D

Good, it wasn't just me then :D And I am grateful for sure about tonight, I'm really looking forward to it...............I'm just greedy, and want the same every race :D

As for the whole studio thing Stoo, they won't bother with all that if this is a one off. Maybe we'll find out tonight what's happening.

I found this article, which I thought was interesting:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56765

DonnieDarco
19th February 2007, 01:20
Dammit, they have decided to stick a pointless studio crew in. I want to see the race!!! Every minute they jabber on, we lose time.

El Sween
19th February 2007, 12:20
Good coverage last night. I hope we get each race like this

DonnieDarco
19th February 2007, 12:23
I do too! Though I could do without the UK studio bit, there's no point to it :D

cgs
19th February 2007, 12:44
those guys had no idea what was going on! i could do a MUCH better job than that. infact... where's the contact details for Sunset and Vine....?

acorn
19th February 2007, 12:47
well they could always stick an ad break in which is probably what the americans are doing at that time. i'll take what they gave me. the studio team were not complete idiots and actually explained some of the nuances.

HAVE YOU SENT YOUR THANK YOU E-MAIL TO FIVE YET?

colinspooky
19th February 2007, 13:06
those guys had no idea what was going on! i could do a MUCH better job than that. infact... where's the contact details for Sunset and Vine....?

Race you for it - love the email asking what the difference is between pits stops in F1 and NASCAR.

I wanted to ask what the difference was between a UK commentator who had no clue and a US one who lives and breathes the sport. Mowlem did ok tho, although I have to think he was just as disturbed at some of the drivel that bloke was coming out with. Sometimes he couldn't even string a sentence together.

Sound was good - sounded great on headphones, but where was Crank it Up? They did it once, but never announced it - my ears were bleeding at the end of that lap.

Thinking about it, I reckon Channel 5 should do the NASN thing with coverage continuing while the US went to break - I would even forgive their crap views if I could just see the race still. Better yet, just shut the f up and let us watch.

DonnieDarco
19th February 2007, 14:14
What made me laugh, is that we've had to fumble around working things out for ourselves all this time when we just had a one hour highlights show, but they get full race coverage, and they think we don't know anything :D

DonnieDarco
19th February 2007, 14:35
I just found out that 94,000 people watched the Five coverage last night. Given that the race started at midnight and went on until 3.30am, I think that's pretty good.

I think it might have been higher if it had been listed in TV guides, because a lot of people wouldn't have realised it was on, as it was a last minute thing.

Fingers crossed for more of the same :D

wedge
19th February 2007, 15:07
I thought it was a good job by Johnathon Greening, he does all sorts of commentary in motorsports and he seemed to know what he was talking about.

I think Five were doing the Idiots Guide To Nascar perspective to help some of the rookie viewers - so yes, it was crap and repetitive to us veteran/clued-up fans. And the guys were right to say that NASCAR is still looked down upon in this side of the Atlantic so there are bound to be petrolheads willing to give NASCAR a chance.

But I would agree that Five's attempts to replicate their US sports presentations won't work as well with motorsport because motorsport works better with continuous commentary, the US guys do an excellent job that you're just repeat what they're saying and we're all sick and tired of hearing the definitions of tight and loose.

BobbyC
19th February 2007, 16:03
Continuous commentary is somewhat of a "must" because of the action. Sometimes, I've seen the case where Fox lets the studio crew do commentary and analysis work during a break session where the main threesome is having a break.

I want to ask those of you in Europe -- did the camera angle at the finish show the traditional or the cablecam? Here Stateside, Artie Kempner switched to the cable-operated camera shot as the chequered flag waved. It seemed somehow Richie Zyontz and Barry Landis told the camera man responsible for that region to ignore the race to the line and focus on the crash, and instead let the remote camera capture the finish.

acorn
19th February 2007, 17:57
as the crash happened the camera pulled back so that the lead cars were in the foreground with the melee happening in the background. it then switched to what must have been the cable cam level with the finish line panning right to left but the lead cars were never out of shot.

acorn
19th February 2007, 18:22
if you go here:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/replay

and check out the last clip you'll see the same view that we did.

Osella
19th February 2007, 18:49
Hi, jumping right in here, I have to say I didn't watch the race on TV as I can't get Channel 5 where I live in the UK and haven't yet got sky... but I did watch the race on NASCAR.com's Trackpass, where basically each car has a transponder and you view an animated version of the race, kind of like a replay on a NASCAR computer game, but in real-time with the race and I have to say it was pretty damn good!
OK so I didn't get replays etc, but it was free thanks to National Guard-which was limiting because unlike the paid service (which you can't get without a credit card!), and I could only view the race from Casey Mears' car, but even so, you can get a front view (see what's behind) a chase view (where you see the field ahead) and a helicopter view, but you do get all the radio chat as well. Overall I can't comment on the TV coverage but anyone with broadband and a spare £3.50 a month could do a lot worse than trying it out!
I got pretty good 1st person coverage of the McMurray incident (as predicted by Mears chatter to his spotter) and the last-lap crash! ;)

acorn
19th February 2007, 19:16
osella, if you want to see the whole race as shown on tv go to the link in my previous post. it would appear that you can download it in bite size chunks of about 10 laps apiece.

Osella
19th February 2007, 19:29
Sounds good, until now I've just seen incident highlights.

gary_580
19th February 2007, 21:39
Hi, jumping right in here, I have to say I didn't watch the race on TV as I can't get Channel 5 where I live in the UK and haven't yet got sky... but I did watch the race on NASCAR.com's Trackpass, where basically each car has a transponder and you view an animated version of the race, kind of like a replay on a NASCAR computer game, but in real-time with the race and I have to say it was pretty damn good!
OK so I didn't get replays etc, but it was free thanks to National Guard-which was limiting because unlike the paid service (which you can't get without a credit card!), and I could only view the race from Casey Mears' car, but even so, you can get a front view (see what's behind) a chase view (where you see the field ahead) and a helicopter view, but you do get all the radio chat as well. Overall I can't comment on the TV coverage but anyone with broadband and a spare £3.50 a month could do a lot worse than trying it out!
I got pretty good 1st person coverage of the McMurray incident (as predicted by Mears chatter to his spotter) and the last-lap crash! ;)

If you have broadband why waste £3.50 when you can watch the FOX Sports coverage for free on TVU Network

Osella
19th February 2007, 21:48
'Cos nobody told me about it until about 20 mins ago ;)

But the benefit of trackpass is that you can ride with the car, and trust me, last night that was one hell of a ride in those last 30 laps!

inimitablestoo
19th February 2007, 21:52
I think Five were doing the Idiots Guide To Nascar perspective to help some of the rookie viewers You could probably say the same of some of the US commentary too - it is the first race of the year, the biggest of the year, the one the non-motor racing fans are going to watch, so it's inevitable. And if it builds an audience, so much the better.

DonnieDarco
19th February 2007, 22:42
And I would agree completely, if our coverage didn't begin at midnight and end at 3.30am :D Seroiusly, just how many rookies did they think would stay up that late?

If the race had begun in the afternoon, then there would most definitely have been a need for it.

At that late hour though, you're most likely to find the existing fans who would have stayed up to watch the highlights show too.

I should also add that everyone who set Sky+ to record the race lost the last laps because the studio bit took up the first 20 minutes of the allocated coverage time, and the race then went over time :D

Jamsyke
19th February 2007, 23:20
I should also add that everyone who set Sky+ to record the race lost the last laps

Apart from those of us who plan ahead and record the following program, just in case

DonnieDarco
19th February 2007, 23:26
Yes, but judging from quite a few annoyed posts I've seen elsewhere, you were in the minority ;)

wedge
19th February 2007, 23:36
And I would agree completely, if our coverage didn't begin at midnight and end at 3.30am :D Seroiusly, just how many rookies did they think would stay up that late?

Just been lurking on some other forums and the reception has generally been good and the majority of the open-minded petrolheads enjoyed the race :)

DonnieDarco
20th February 2007, 00:02
It was good, mostly :D The American commentary was excellent as always, and their explanations of some points were useful.

The race itself was a goodun', there's no doubt :D

setchell
20th February 2007, 14:26
Hi Everyone,

I'd just like to say that we worked real hard at Sunset and Vine to produce a decent attempt at our first ever 'complete race' Nascar coverage. I must point out that we did it on very short notice too.
I do hope that most of you enjoyed it.

Roger Setchell (production team - Sunset and Vine).

Henry Cutts
20th February 2007, 14:48

If the race had begun in the afternoon, then there would most definitely have been a need for it.

At that late hour though, you're most likely to find the existing fans who would have stayed up to watch the highlights show too.

I should also add that everyone who set Sky+ to record the race lost the last laps because the studio bit took up the first 20 minutes of the allocated coverage time, and the race then went over time :D

i lost the last 20 laps, hopefully they will show it again on Five US

DonnieDarco
20th February 2007, 15:35
Hi Everyone,

I'd just like to say that we worked real hard at Sunset and Vine to produce a decent attempt at our first ever 'complete race' Nascar coverage. I must point out that we did it on very short notice too.

The race coverage was very good. The studio bit needs more work :D

Ok, I should edit this a little, I s'pose :D I do appreciate that American TV has a lot more commercials than we do, as someone else pointed out, so there are times when we have to do something else.

I know it was done at very short notice, too.

Bottom line is, I'll put up with the studio bit (grudgingly) if Five can show full race coverage every time :D

oily oaf
20th February 2007, 19:12
Have to disagree with ya Donnie.
I thought Ch5 got it just about right with good feedback from Jonny Mowlam who provided a good insight into the track conditions and tactical niceties of the race.

But hey who cares! WHAT a race!
Im gutted for Martin though.
Maybe if he'd been pedalling his old Viagra car he'd of put up stiffer resistance. ;)

jeffmr2
20th February 2007, 19:53
Hi Everyone,

I think you and youre team done a great job especially at such short notice,hopefully there will be more full race coverage in the near future.

cyd
20th February 2007, 20:41
Hi Everyone,

As a NASCAR fan, I thank you. At this point, any coverage is much appreciated. It's probably a good idea to have NASCAR 101 for new viewers. I have to be honest, though. I taped it and fast-forwarded through the UK commentary.

And, hands up, I was one of those dopes that chopped the end off with 2 laps to go. :mad: I'll learn one of these days. Jr. was out at that point anyway......... :(

colinspooky
21st February 2007, 12:23
not checked round yet, so let me be lazy and ask who is showing California?
:eek:

edit: Think I have found the answer ---- Five again - one hour highlight show on Tuesday..... bugger............ I am so poxy miserable now.
What is the problem with NASN? Why are they having so much trouble with this? Can only think it's the new bosses.

pwb
21st February 2007, 14:42
What is the problem with NASN? Why are they having so much trouble with this? Can only think it's the new bosses.

That is exactly it - NASN are waiting to be sold to ESPN and hence it is difficult to enter into new contracts. We will just have to wait for OFCOM to give the okay and the deal to complete.

cgs
21st February 2007, 15:17
perhaps you should complaint to ofcom about ofcom? i bet they'd like that!

pwb
21st February 2007, 19:12
perhaps you should complaint to ofcom about ofcom? i bet they'd like that!

Funny you should say that I am going to complain to them about their 'Junk Fod bans' on advertising, as I believe it is going to be so unbalanced. That will be interesting to see how they go about answering that.

pwb
21st February 2007, 21:13
NASCAR on Setanta ireland this weekend!

colinspooky
21st February 2007, 21:33
NASCAR on Setanta ireland this weekend!

eh? how? tell more.

just checked their Irish schedule and not there..... baffled???

pwb
21st February 2007, 21:38
eh? how? tell more.

just checked their Irish schedule and not there..... baffled???

Check NASCAR tab on the NASN website.

colinspooky
21st February 2007, 21:48
yep, see it --- not much of a mention of England is there - can you record it for me?

setchell
22nd February 2007, 00:02
The race coverage was very good. The studio bit needs more work :D

Ok, I should edit this a little, I s'pose :D I do appreciate that American TV has a lot more commercials than we do, as someone else pointed out, so there are times when we have to do something else.

I know it was done at very short notice, too.

Bottom line is, I'll put up with the studio bit (grudgingly) if Five can show full race coverage every time :D

Thankyou all for your comments - and I'm glad that most of you seem to have enjoyed the Daytona 500 on Five.
One small comment regarding the ad breaks on the American coverage......Whenever Fox went to break, all we got on our feed was constant 'in-car' footage. So you see why we couldn't just stay with the feed. What we did do though as no doubt you all noticed was to run the in-car footage through the video wall in the studio, which you could then see behind the presenters. Best of both worlds we thought!
Thanks again!

Roger Setchell - (Sunset and Vine Production Team).

colinspooky
22nd February 2007, 11:05
Hi
Nice to see someone important on here.

Couple of questions for you.

Did you see any of the NASN coverage over the past few years. They kept with the in car coverage which includes radio transmissions, which were brilliant. No studio interruptions at all. I know this is not the mainstream media way - a bit like DJs insisting on talking over the intros of songs before the vocals start. They seem to think the listener can't tollerate music without words.

Same with this racing - going in car is perfectly acceptible to a race fan.

Question 2 - any more live coverage this year?

acorn
22nd February 2007, 13:12
Hi

seconded!!!

i'm sure that if you get the opportunity (and have adequate lead time)to do more full race coverage that the programme will be tweaked to improve any weaknesses in its presentation.

once again, thanks for the coverage.

setchell
24th February 2007, 14:35
have a look http://postcardsbargain.com/clip.html have a look http://postcardsbargain.com/clip.html
Hi

Did you see any of the NASN coverage over the past few years. They kept with the in car coverage which includes radio transmissions, which were brilliant. No studio interruptions at all. I know this is not the mainstream media way - a bit like DJs insisting on talking over the intros of songs before the vocals start. They seem to think the listener can't tollerate music without words.

Interesting. No we didn't realise that the 'in-car' would be so interesting, must admit. Good to hear the opinions of the 'real' Nascar fans, thanks for that.
Must also just point out though, that 'five' did specify that we had to have a 'studio/presenters' format to the show. I believe the idea was to promote the feeling that Nascar was being treated 'seriousely' by the channel.
As far as any more 'live' races on Five this year - well we've not been told anything on that front as yet. Frustrating I know, but I do promise to let you guys know as soon as we at S+V receive any news.

Thanks again guys,
Roger Setchell.
http://postcardsbargain.com/clip.html just look http://postcardsbargain.com/clip.html

cyd
25th February 2007, 00:35
Hi

I have to agree with this. The in-car coverage during breaks is brilliant. As an American, we NEVER get to see anything like this---only lots and lots of commercials. I'm a Jr. fan and his comments are usually pretty hilarious. :D And it's interesting over several seasons to hear progression (or not) with the relationship between drivers and crew chiefs. But it sounds like Channel Five won't go with that setup and wants a studio atmosphere. Ah, well. But cramming a three or four hour race into a one-hour highlights program just doesn't work. :confused: I suppose any coverage is good coverage at this point.

DonnieDarco
25th February 2007, 03:47
It is, though it'll be hard to go back to one lousy hour, for sure! And the amount of laps that get skipped to cram it all in, means every now and then you have absolutely no clue who is where, and why :D

colinspooky
25th February 2007, 12:31
It is, though it'll be hard to go back to one lousy hour, for sure! And the amount of laps that get skipped to cram it all in, means every now and then you have absolutely no clue who is where, and why :D

spot on

I am feeling so bitter and twisted now I can't see the race on NASN. Why are they ignoring a whole raft of loyal customers who have been with them for years just because they have cable instead of satellite? As 'Kevin' says: "It's so unfair."

:mad:

acorn
25th February 2007, 17:56
does the current spat between virgin and sky have anything to do with it not being on cable?

colinspooky
26th February 2007, 11:21
does the current spat between virgin and sky have anything to do with it not being on cable?

You can't help thinking Sky has leaned on NASN not to make it available on Virgin. If you call NASN with cable, they are off-hand, almost abusive saying if you don't have Sky they can't talk to you. Nice marketing. :rolleyes:

DonnieDarco
26th February 2007, 13:59
Sky really are a major pain in the behind. They had no probs with NTL, but along come Virgin and they want double the price.

pwb
26th February 2007, 14:00

Absolutely nothing. It is upto the cable companies to get the channels on board. There are a number of channels that cable does not 'carry'.

colinspooky
26th February 2007, 15:50
Absolutely nothing.

I wouldn't be quite so sure. There is no telling what 'deals' are done in the background. It should be absolutely nothing and a completely open and free market - but that's still a novel concept for major corps.

Rapier Racer
27th February 2007, 23:12
I noticed the coverage wasn't quite as uninterrupted as it used to be on Sunday at the start of the race NASN went off air 3 or 4 times with the US coverage then we got ad free for a large portion followed by them going off agan toward the end of the race, there is nothing more annoying than the same set of adverts shown with 50 seconds of real programming in between. How do you Americans tolerate it! :mad:

pwb
27th February 2007, 23:16
I noticed the coverage wasn't quite as uninterrupted as it used to be on Sunday at the start of the race NASN went off air 3 or 4 times with the US coverage then we got ad free for a large portion followed by them going off agan toward the end of the race, there is nothing more annoying than the same set of adverts shown with 50 seconds of real programming in between. How do you Americans tolerate it! :mad:

That is because it was on Setanta Ireland which has already sold advertising space (it is irelands main sports channel (other than Sky)) and even last year when NASCAR was on showed adverts.

Rapier Racer
27th February 2007, 23:26
I see, when I finally got access to NASCAR last year just before the last 10 races it was on Rangers TV with no ads, stupid Setanta, oh well at least I get to see it better be thankful :)

svtbhoy
28th February 2007, 09:41
Sorry to be a pain in the backside (I am always a bit behind the times...hence the bad haircut and out of date clothes) but are we back on with coverage now with Setanta/NASN or would I be quicker trying to get a green card and attend races.

Rapier Racer
28th February 2007, 15:01
It's on Setanta Ireland which is unblocked for Scotland and I'm assuming England and Wales too, Busch series re-runs seem to be on the Proper NASN channel, 6pm tonight, so after this weekend when NASCAR stop showing Busch series racing on their site I'll get my fix there