PDA

View Full Version : What Are Penske's Options?

IndyCarFan
3rd October 2008, 19:49
At this late stage in the year what are Penske's options for a driver should Helio become "unavailable"? Buy out Matos' contract from AGR perhaps? Buyout Rahal from NHL? Go back to the well with PT? I would think Almendinger would be a good choice and I'm sure he would reconsider his options should a Penske ride become available. I have one other name as a really long shot that I'll hold on to for now to see if anyone else mentions it.

MDS
3rd October 2008, 20:53
I would think the best available free agents would be Franck Perrera and Paul Tracy. Oriol Servia and Will Power still aren't under contract. Frank Montengy, Anthony Davidson, Dillon Battisiti,Takuma Sato, JJ Yeley, Nelson Phillipe, Tristian Gommend, Andrew Ranger, Patrick Carptenier and even Jaquces Villinuve are all out there.

That said, I don't think Penske is going to have to replace Helio for a while, but someone on another thread brought up that he's likely going to have forfit his passport, which could make the races in Canada and Japan tricky. Judges are normally willing to work with people so they don't lose their jobs while undergoing court cases

Abel Karaj
3rd October 2008, 20:57
Romain Dumas.

drewdawg727
3rd October 2008, 21:20
I highly doubt Helio will be replaced next year...you will see him in the #3 Penske car at Australia as well as St. Pete.

NickFalzone
3rd October 2008, 21:23
How long do these sorts of cases usually take to resolve? It could still be going through the courts a year from now, and have no effect on his season besides the international events (and his mindset). I wish Helio all the best and hope that he was not a knowing part of these allegations. If he does get something like Snipes sentence, then it probably would be the end of his career at least in IndyCar.

gshevlin
3rd October 2008, 21:29
Roger Penske is a blue-chip leader of a massive corporate empire, running a team that has several blue-chip sponsors. Sponsors and large corporations of the type that Penske has relationships with like controversy about as much as you or I would like a hole in the head.
If there is any hint that Helio has a case to answer for tax evasion, he will be gone from Penske faster that one can blink. You only have to look at the speed with which Penske dumped Paul Tracy 10 years ago to understand that. Penske pays drivers very well, but expects unimpeachable corporate behaviour in return.

DanicaFan
3rd October 2008, 21:40
If Helio doesnt race next year with Penske, maybe we will see Sam Hornish come back.
I dont think Oriol Servia is leaving KV Racing.

Osiris333
3rd October 2008, 21:50
Yeah, if fired Tracy for telling him he needed to go with a Reynard\Honda\Firestone combination (which he eventually did and won 2 CART Championships) how long will he hang on to Helio?

About 5 more minutes, would be my guess.

Mad_Hatter
3rd October 2008, 23:35
Casey Stoner

nigelred5
4th October 2008, 00:06
Well, Bourdais may be available, then there's always Jos :)

He's also got a line on quite a few sportscar drivers in ALMS.

Nikki Katz
4th October 2008, 00:09
Reading what's on Autosport I'd say that it doesn't look particularly good for Helio. I can understand accidentally under-declaring your income, but you can't accidentally set up a company in Panama and put your earnings there. It sounds like his only defence is following the advice of a very dodgy accountant.

If this does happen then I hope that they don't pick up Tracy. There are good, younger and less erratic current drivers that are possibly without seats next year (Servia, Power, maybe even Wilson). Failing that I'd like to see Pantano in a good series as it doesn't look like it'll be F1, though I guess there would then be a comparative lack of experience compared to other front running teams.

RusH
4th October 2008, 00:22
Nelson Philippe :)

16&Gtown
4th October 2008, 00:53
I highly doubt Helio will be replaced next year...you will see him in the #3 Penske car at Australia as well as St. Pete.

If he does drive in australia, he will be doing so by breaking more federal laws. He has been ordered by federal court not to leave the country. And I dont see this being resolved in the next 3 weeks.

beachbum
4th October 2008, 01:09
I highly doubt Helio will be replaced next year...you will see him in the #3 Penske car at Australia as well as St. Pete.He surrendered his passport. He isn't going anywhere until after the trial because they don't give it back until the case is closed, one way of the other. That is months in the future at best. No Australia for sure, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was replaced for next year. Roger has way too much to lose compared to Helio, and loyalty only goes so far.

beachbum
4th October 2008, 01:25
Romain Dumas.
The most likely candidate.

His "test" at Sonoma was a surprise to many and some conspiracy theorists even suggested he might replace Briscoe. That didn't make sense as he tested with Briscoe, so the reason for the test left a lot of question marks. The claim that it was a "reward" for his work in the ALMS seemed weak.

In light of the revelations with Helio, the little test now makes perfect sense. Roger would definitely have known the indictments were coming, and giving Duams time to familiarize himself with the car may have been a little insurance. Dumas is part of the Penske family, apparently well liked, knows the team, and is plenty fast. Early in his career, he had top finishes in F3 and F3000 and tested in GP2 for Renault. A good choice.

ozrevhead
4th October 2008, 12:13
The rumors about Will Power getting shafted after loosing sponsors because we have no Aussie Race now are getting noisy now so mayby Roge might give him a lifeline

I have three favorite drivers - Ryan B, Helio and Will - The idea of loosing two of of them not to mention our coverage and our race is somthing I cant comprehend atmo

Nikki Katz
4th October 2008, 14:50
The most likely candidate.

His "test" at Sonoma was a surprise to many and some conspiracy theorists even suggested he might replace Briscoe. That didn't make sense as he tested with Briscoe, so the reason for the test left a lot of question marks. The claim that it was a "reward" for his work in the ALMS seemed weak.

In light of the revelations with Helio, the little test now makes perfect sense. Roger would definitely have known the indictments were coming, and giving Duams time to familiarize himself with the car may have been a little insurance. Dumas is part of the Penske family, apparently well liked, knows the team, and is plenty fast. Early in his career, he had top finishes in F3 and F3000 and tested in GP2 for Renault. A good choice.
Thanks for that, you're right, it does make sense.

MDS
4th October 2008, 16:43
Well, he won't be going to Australia unless some special deal is brokered. So unless there is a deal, or the case gets resolved in record time, Helio is out of the running for the 2009 championship.

Terms of Castroneves' release allow him to travel for work in the United States but not abroad.http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-newswire4-2008oct04,0,1910836.story

Rex Monaco
4th October 2008, 17:16
Penske pays drivers very well, but expects unimpeachable corporate behaviour in return.

And yet Penske was evidently willing to pay Helio via an offshore Panamanian shell company. That's not very unimpeachable corporate behaviour coming from Penske.

El Sween
4th October 2008, 18:34
[quote="nigelred5"]Well, Bourdais may be availableQUOTE]

Good call.

icehammer97
4th October 2008, 21:32
Well, he won't be going to Australia unless some special deal is brokered. So unless there is a deal, or the case gets resolved in record time, Helio is out of the running for the 2009 championship.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-newswire4-2008oct04,0,1910836.story

The championship is over. Surfers is a non points race it didn't matter if Helio went or not.

Chamoo
4th October 2008, 23:30
The championship is over. Surfers is a non points race it didn't matter if Helio went or not.

But he will miss atleast three races in 2009, which basically knocks him out of the 2009 championship.

SarahFan
7th October 2008, 02:15
FWIW

http://champcaronline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266

seppefan
9th October 2008, 16:18
Bourdais if available or Power if Tony George does not sign Surfers for 09 and KV implode. Buy Wilson out of his contact would be cool otherwise how about a rookie like Dillon Battisitini, now he is good on the ovals and would push Ryan.

MDS
9th October 2008, 16:34
Bourdais if available or Power if Tony George does not sign Surfers for 09 and KV implode. Buy Wilson out of his contact would be cool otherwise how about a rookie like Dillon Battisitini, now he is good on the ovals and would push Ryan.

I could be wrong, but I'm hearing Dillon hasn't been his country for over a month now and is focused on DTM or another Euro touriing series. His relationship with Panther exploded.

seppefan
14th November 2008, 10:27
It seems that the team have told Helio that he must get the trial moved back a year or no drive. If the Judge does not agree then who will replace him?

Bourdais, Wilson, Power, Servia,Hunter Reay, Battisitini, others ?

Damon
14th November 2008, 12:06
IF this happens, it SHOULD be Ryan Hunter-Reay

NickFalzone
14th November 2008, 18:21
What's up with the Ethanol sponsorship at RLR? It looks iffy and Hunter Reay does not have a contract yet for 09. If Helio does not get the trial moved to November (a long shot) then Penske is going with Hunter Reay or Hornish, I see those as the top choices. The Ryans would make good teammates I think.

disko
14th November 2008, 23:59
for next year. Sam aint coming back next year.

Ranger
15th November 2008, 00:32
If Bourdais is dumped by STR I'd like to see him in a Penske.

Otherwise I'd say Hunter-Reay or Wilson.

RHR would probably get it because he's decent and because the IRL probably wants an American driver in a top seat.

TURN3
15th November 2008, 03:04
IF this happens, it SHOULD be Ryan Hunter-Reay

He would be a deserving candidate among many others. A problem could become of his personal sponsorship from IZOD since Penske has historically had backing from Hugo Boss. May seem negligible but I know PT has missed some opportunities because of some conflicts of interest with Monster.

DBell
15th November 2008, 03:42
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-castroneves-trial-delay-motion-denied/

Looks like the replacement rumors will heat up. I'd like to see RHR get chance with Penske. Probably won't, but I wonder what he could achieve with a team like Penske.

Dr. Krogshöj
15th November 2008, 13:52
Bourdais, hands down.

SarahFan
15th November 2008, 14:52
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-castroneves-trial-delay-motion-denied/

e.

trial starts March 2nd.... St. Pete is 32 days away...

couple of questions

1. can the trial take that long?..... I know it can, but WILL it?

2. if found Guilty will Helio do time?

IndyCarFan
17th November 2008, 16:10
When I started this thread I mentioned there was 1 other driver the Penske could sign but I didn't name him. A couple of people picked up on Bourdais which is who I was thinking. I still have not read where STR re-signed him. I for one would like to see himi back in a unified series driving for a top team which obviously Penske is. With the judge refusing to postpone the trial I think Penske has no choice but to sign another driver. Any thoughts?

SarahFan
17th November 2008, 16:46
if...BIG IF..... helio doesn't run with penske in 2009 then with the recent departure of gore I suspect will power is on his short list

champcarray
17th November 2008, 16:59
A decision may be coming sooner rather than later. I spotted this in yesterday's Hartford Courant (Nov 16):

Team Penske probably will decide within the next few weeks whether two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Helio Castroneves, who faces criminal tax-evasion charges, will keep driving for their IndyCar Series team next season, owner Roger Penske said.

The decision pivots on whether the federal court hearing the tax case decides whether to start Castroneves' trial next year or after the 2009 season, Penske said today at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana.

"If it's during the season, obviously it's very difficult for us to have him as a full-time driver," Penske said. "It would be difficult for us to have him in the car during a period of time when he would have to be preparing himself for court.

"We're going to make a decision here once we understand when there is a court date and when this process will begin," Penske said. "I think this will be answered here in the next 30 days."

champcarray
17th November 2008, 17:01
I just posted the following in the thread "What Are Penske's Options."

Team Penske probably will decide within the next few weeks whether two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Helio Castroneves, who faces criminal tax-evasion charges, will keep driving for their IndyCar Series team next season, owner Roger Penske said.

The decision pivots on whether the federal court hearing the tax case decides whether to start Castroneves' trial next year or after the 2009 season, Penske said today at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana.

"If it's during the season, obviously it's very difficult for us to have him as a full-time driver," Penske said. "It would be difficult for us to have him in the car during a period of time when he would have to be preparing himself for court.

"We're going to make a decision here once we understand when there is a court date and when this process will begin," Penske said. "I think this will be answered here in the next 30 days."

F1boat
17th November 2008, 18:20
I hope that it will be RHR and think that it will be Romain Dumas.

Ranger
17th November 2008, 22:18
If I've got this right, these are the candidates:

Oriol Servia
Will Power
Ryan Hunter-Reay
Justin Wilson
Romain Dumas
Paul Tracy (thread wouldn't be complete without this suggestion)
Sebastien Bourdais (if he is around)

Briscoe has showed that you can be pretty good given a season out of ALMS, but contrary to him, Dumas has no oval experience and will be a 31-year-old rookie by next season's start.

seppefan
18th November 2008, 14:41
If I've got this right, these are the candidates:

Oriol Servia
Will Power
Ryan Hunter-Reay
Justin Wilson
Romain Dumas
Paul Tracy (thread wouldn't be complete without this suggestion)
Sebastien Bourdais (if he is around)

Briscoe has showed that you can be pretty good given a season out of ALMS, but contrary to him, Dumas has no oval experience and will be a 31-year-old rookie by next season's start.

I would add Montagny & Battistini.