PDA

View Full Version : IndyCar releases broadcast schedule

Rex Monaco
1st October 2008, 22:45
Schedule

-- April 5: Streets of St. Petersburg, VERSUS, 2-5 p.m.

-- April 19: Streets of Long Beach, VERSUS, 3:30-6:30 p.m.

-- April 26: Kansas Speedway, VERSUS, 4-7 p.m.

-- May 24: Indianapolis Motor Speedway, ABC, noon-4:30 p.m.

-- May 31: The Milwaukee Mile, ABC, 3:30-6 p.m.

-- June 6: Texas Motor Speedway, VERSUS, 9 p.m.-midnight

-- June 21: Iowa Speedway, ABC, 1-3:30 p.m.

-- June 27: Richmond International Raceway, VERSUS, 8-11 p.m.

-- July 5: Watkins Glen International, ABC, 1-3:30 p.m.

-- July 12: Streets of Toronto, ABC, 1-3:30 p.m.

-- July 26 Edmonton City Centre Airport, VERSUS, 5-8 p.m.

-- Aug. 1: Kentucky Speedway, VERSUS, 8-11 p.m.

--Aug. 9: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, VERSUS, 1-4 p.m.

-- Aug. 23: Infineon Raceway, VERSUS, 5-8 p.m.

-- Aug 29: Chicagoland Speedway, 9 p.m.-midnight

-- Sept. 6: The Raceway at Belle Isle Park, VERSUS, 3-6 p.m.

-- Sep. 19: Twin Ring Motegi, VERSUS (9/18 broadcast) 10:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m.

-- Oct. 10: Homestead-Miami Speedway, VERSUS, 4- 7 p.m.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081001/FREE/810019993/1528/newsletter01

MDS
2nd October 2008, 00:06
WTF? WATKINS GLEN AND IOWA ON ABC AND LONG BEACH ON VERSES?

Seriously, having no lead up races to Indy on ABC, especially Long Beach, is probably going to kill ratings. And Watkins Glen? Seriously, thats one of the most dull races of the year. Iowa was clearly a move to appease the Ethonal folks. Really? You're going to waste one of your five big dates on one of the smallest markets on the schedule? Really? Really?

Wow, at this point just making it to 2010 will be a blessing.

vintage
2nd October 2008, 01:00
Any news on FIL?

NickFalzone
2nd October 2008, 02:27
For one thing, do you really think that Indy 500 ratings have anything to do with the couple of races earlier in the season? I don't. The series fans, which avg around a 1.0 nielsen rating, watch regardless. The 500 does about 5 times that rating, and the airdate is highly promoted to fans and non-fans of the event. I don't know anyone that says to themselves damn, those first few races of the year were really good, maybe I'll watch the 500?

As far as the Glen and Iowa, both of those have tended to get good ratings for ABC, comparatively. And I thought both Iowa races have been pretty good.

nigelred5
2nd October 2008, 02:47
No surfers yet........

MDS
2nd October 2008, 03:55
For one thing, do you really think that Indy 500 ratings have anything to do with the couple of races earlier in the season? I don't. The series fans, which avg around a 1.0 nielsen rating, watch regardless. The 500 does about 5 times that rating, and the airdate is highly promoted to fans and non-fans of the event. I don't know anyone that says to themselves damn, those first few races of the year were really good, maybe I'll watch the 500?

As far as the Glen and Iowa, both of those have tended to get good ratings for ABC, comparatively. And I thought both Iowa races have been pretty good.

Verses has almost no market penetration. It may be a lot of homes, but most people either aren't aware they have it, or don't watch it. This of course does not hold true for the hunter, who probably watches the cheaply produced, unoriginal hunting realty shows Verses airs most of the time. Seriously, every time I take a look at that channel its a different show about a different guy going into a different forest to kill a buck. The IRL would be better off on TLC or the Discovery channel.

I do think that well promoted, well watched, races on broadcast television before the 500 can help ratings. It might not tank the ratings, but its certainly not going to help in any way. The first year the NHL moved to Verses their ratings were 0.24. The NHL Alllstar game lost 75 percent of its audience when it moved from ABC to Verses. Lets be optimistic and say the IRL is only going to lose 50 percent of its viewers on Verses. From what I saw the average was 1.1, that means .65, which is inline, or a little better than what the NHL is getting for regular season games.

ABC is reducing its committment to the IRL so its logical to assmue they're going to pull back on promoting the 500 as well because it was all over ESPN. With most of the races on a competiting network you can guess how much Bristol want to promote a sport thats primarily broadcast on another channel.

If the 2009 Indy 500 does better than a 4.0 I think it will be a major upset.

Tony George, helping to kill the sport Americans love since 1994

ShiftingGears
2nd October 2008, 11:07
Wheres Surfers?

garyshell
2nd October 2008, 15:12
Wheres Surfers?

Australia...

(Sorry I couldn't resist.)

Gary

SarahFan
2nd October 2008, 15:54

I totally disagree..... perhaps not 100% in regards to the 500

but the early season Tv schedule has been weak(er) the past 1/2 decade..... and season long ratings are substantially down over.....

strong out of the gate will absolutly pay dividends as the season progresses.....and mark my words...you and I will enjoy those 3 hour race windows on vs..... but ratings will down to start the season.... and they will be down to end the season

FormerFF
2nd October 2008, 17:20
Wheres Surfers?

You mean the one that's taking place later this month? 10:30 p.m. (ET) Oct. 25 on ESPN Classic. If you're asking about 2009, it's not on the schedule. (yet)

Cart750hp
2nd October 2008, 18:32
Schedule

-- April 5: Streets of St. Petersburg, VERSUS, 2-5 p.m.

-- April 19: Streets of Long Beach, VERSUS, 3:30-6:30 p.m.

-- April 26: Kansas Speedway, VERSUS, 4-7 p.m.

-- May 24: Indianapolis Motor Speedway, ABC, noon-4:30 p.m.

-- May 31: The Milwaukee Mile, ABC, 3:30-6 p.m.

-- June 6: Texas Motor Speedway, VERSUS, 9 p.m.-midnight

-- June 21: Iowa Speedway, ABC, 1-3:30 p.m.

-- June 27: Richmond International Raceway, VERSUS, 8-11 p.m.

-- July 5: Watkins Glen International, ABC, 1-3:30 p.m.

-- July 12: Streets of Toronto, ABC, 1-3:30 p.m.

-- July 26 Edmonton City Centre Airport, VERSUS, 5-8 p.m.

-- Aug. 1: Kentucky Speedway, VERSUS, 8-11 p.m.

--Aug. 9: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, VERSUS, 1-4 p.m.

-- Aug. 23: Infineon Raceway, VERSUS, 5-8 p.m.

-- Aug 29: Chicagoland Speedway, 9 p.m.-midnight

-- Sept. 6: The Raceway at Belle Isle Park, VERSUS, 3-6 p.m.

-- Sep. 19: Twin Ring Motegi, VERSUS (9/18 broadcast) 10:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m.

-- Oct. 10: Homestead-Miami Speedway, VERSUS, 4- 7 p.m.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081001/FREE/810019993/1528/newsletter01

The schedule is shaping up pretty quickly than we all thought. Fontana, Michigan, Cleveland and Surfers should be it.

ozrevhead
4th October 2008, 12:17
Australia...

(Sorry I couldn't resist.)

Gary
you are not helping.......!!!

Will ABC shown here to Aus at least

I guess it will be Indycar.com or finding it online somewhere for me

Rex Monaco
4th October 2008, 17:09
WTF? WATKINS GLEN AND IOWA ON ABC AND LONG BEACH ON VERSES?

I too was pretty surprised that Long Beach was not on ABC. I wonder what Toyota thinks about this? (Or what Honda thinks about Motegi being on Versus?)

Dr. Krogshöj
5th October 2008, 21:08
The Surfers Paradise race weekend will be held October 23-25 next year. That's a fact. The V8 Supercars will be part of the show. The question is whether Indycars will be part of it. That's for the IRL to decide, I think. If they say yes, the race will be broadcast by VERSUS because ABC's contract is for five races.

AussieV8
9th October 2008, 04:36
I reckon it will be one of the following at Surfers next year:

- No event
- IRL non points race as this year
- A1GP event.

Ranger
9th October 2008, 09:34
I reckon it will be one of the following at Surfers next year:

- No event
- IRL non points race as this year
- A1GP event.

Supposedly A1GP is in poor health itself, so it'll probably be option A if there's no Indy.

If Tony George needed convincing about whether the event belongs on the calendar then hopefully he'll be slapped back together later this month. :up:

MAX_THRUST
10th October 2008, 13:24
So either Twin Ring Moteig gets moved or Surfers will be earlier next year......I guess then Twin Ring will be moved closer to the Australian event.

How did Chicago feel about being not the last race next year or did they just accept it?

I used to love a 500 mile superspeedway finnish to the season as in the (please don't grown) the CART days. It was a great way to finnish the season. The only time it wasnt was 99.

Placid
11th October 2008, 04:35
How about Montreal since the GP is dropped?

Jacques
11th October 2008, 16:50
Why would anyone put WG and Milwaukee on ABC, instead of Long Beach, or Iowa instead of Texas ? This is no way to plan a promising future.

Once again, Indy is making the same mistakes CC made before. We even have a race that has no tv scheduled air time, and a race that may not even be included in the series. One more mistake copied from CART.

Oh well, nothing really changes.