PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: Brundle and Coulthard to form part of new BBC F1 Team

Giuseppe F1
29th September 2008, 07:24
The Official BBC F1 broadcast team:

Commentators: Martin Brundle & Jonathon Legard
PitLane Reporter: Lee McKenzie
Studio Reporters: Jake Humphrey & David Coulthard

Such a shme that Steve Rider wont be there as he knows the sport inside and out and a few of these guys are brand new to F1

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=36126

Mark
29th September 2008, 08:29
I still don't see the point of having two blokes sitting in a studio. Just the same as I don't see the point in Mark Blundell and Steve Ryder, sure they know their stuff but do we really need them? In the old days the main commentators did the entire show and that was fine.

Ranger
29th September 2008, 08:30
Who is Johnathon Legard?

ArrowsFA1
29th September 2008, 08:43
Who is Johnathon Legard?
IIRC he was the BBC's motor racing correspondent before he went off to do football commentary.

aryan
29th September 2008, 08:48
I'm really happy with this. Legard and Brudle will be a very competent team.

Coulthard in the studio will also be able to provide additional insightful commentary, as well as some badly needed Scottish humour.

I really don't know Lee McKenzie and Jake Humphrey. Are they OK?

Dave B
29th September 2008, 09:01
By "official" you mean Pitpass are cut'n'pasting rumours from various forums. It's not confirmed yet and I think there's at least one inaccuracy in that list.

wedge
29th September 2008, 12:17
Unofficial according to Autosport.com

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/71018

AndyRAC
29th September 2008, 12:22
I'm really happy with this. Legard and Brudle will be a very competent team.

Coulthard in the studio will also be able to provide additional insightful commentary, as well as some badly needed Scottish humour.

I really don't know Lee McKenzie and Jake Humphrey. Are they OK?

There are 2 Lee McKenzies - one is a Horse racing commentator - so that could work. The other is a Scottish lass, daughter of Bob (Daily Express) has been on Sky Sports/ITV I think.

inimitablestoo
29th September 2008, 16:49
Jake Humphrey's better than you'd expect for a bloke who started in children's TV rather than sports broadcasting. He'd probably be well placed in the F1 paddock with that background actually... ;)

Lee McKenzie people may remember from ITV's GP2 coverage for at least one year, and she also presented the late but not exactly lamented Speed Sunday until ITV rather lost faith with the whole idea towards the end (a few months after the general public had, to be fair). One of the better presenters who are brought in just to look nice.

But until this all comes from a BBC source, it isn't official. Don't be surprised to find Graham Norton presenting with a chance to vote people off during qualifying.

jonny hurlock
29th September 2008, 22:08
The Official BBC F1 broadcast team:

Commentators: Martin Brundle & Jonathon Legard
PitLane Reporter: Lee McKenzie
Studio Reporters: Jake Humphrey & David Coulthard

fes_art_id=36126[/url]

jonathan legard, has he walked out of formula one five live team a few years back memory serve me right, why not david croft? (radio 5live/gp2 commentator)

AndyRAC
29th September 2008, 22:27
jonathan legard, has he walked out of formula one five live team a few years back memory serve me right, why not david croft? (radio 5live/gp2 commentator)

Jonathon Legard was the BBC's Motorsport Correspondent - which meant not just F1, but Le Mans, WRC, BTCC, etc
Left for better things, Football Correspondent, and wasn't properly replaced - David Croft is just the Motor Racing commentator - not a Correspondent. There is a difference I believe.

Hawkmoon
29th September 2008, 23:21
So this McKenzie's a replacement for Louise Goodman? Considering Goodman is a waste of space in terms of what she adds to the coverage, why bother?

At least the other guy, Ted What's-his-face, gets some mildly useful information. All Goodman provides us is F1 drivers giving excuses for why it's not their fault that they hit spun off and hit the wall.

Rollo
29th September 2008, 23:51
Although I am somewhat surprised that James Allen's services would not be retained, Brundle and Legard should be a reasonable combination.

I imagine that Jake Humphrey & David Coulthard will be something like Greg Rust and whoever else is on Channel 10's RPM in Australia. Perhaps the Beeb are looking to go after the BTCC at some point as well?

Maybe the BBC could get Bruce Willis to do the job:
http://itn.co.uk/news/a1b631c357357c7412315867b4ffbce5.html

According to newspaper reports, the Hollywood actor will play Murray in a forthcoming film about the life of Formula One champion Michael Schumacher.
Now that would be odd.

ArrowsFA1
30th September 2008, 07:41
David Croft is just the Motor Racing commentator - not a Correspondent. There is a difference I believe.
He's an excellent commentator though.

Bezza
30th September 2008, 08:59
Good choices :up: Brundle is only outstanding member of the ITV team, so the Beeb have done the right thing.

I'm very happy to see all the others not grace an F1 race again - especially Goodman and Allen.

Rider used to be good but since he moved to ITV has turned into Lewis Hamilton's spokesman and defence lawyer.

Azumanga Davo
30th September 2008, 09:09
I imagine that Jake Humphrey & David Coulthard will be something like Greg Rust and whoever else is on Channel 10's RPM in Australia.

Cameron McConville isn't it? And the UK better hope to Hare Krishna (or the UK equivalent, Harry Ramsden) that DC and JH prove to be more talented than the pair Australia are stuck with. ;)

"Here comes Australia's Mark Webber!" they cry. Just in case us racing aficionados had forgotten... :p :

Ranger
30th September 2008, 09:59
"Here comes Australia's Mark Webber!"

I wonder if Greg Rust realises that everybody who bothers to tune into channel ten close to midnight on a Monday morning actually does know that the guy is Australian and doesn't need to be reminded of it at least twice a race, every single race!

Knock-on
30th September 2008, 12:28
By "official" you mean Pitpass are cut'n'pasting rumours from various forums. It's not confirmed yet and I think there's at least one inaccuracy in that list.

Another PitP!ss exclusive :laugh:

One would have thought that the BBC might have been first with this "Scoop".

Still, I don't think they are too far away from the final lineup. One, possibly 2 changes.

Bezza
30th September 2008, 12:31
The news is on Crash.Net as well which I have never known to be wrong.

inimitablestoo
30th September 2008, 16:11
why not david croft? (radio 5live/gp2 commentator)

Precisely for that reason - the BBC still have radio rights, and if these reports do turn out to be true, they'll have kept their radio team intact.

Does anyone know, incidentally, whether there's any change to the GP2 contract? - ITV took on Formula 3000 (as was) as part of the F1 deal back in '97 (some regions got it from '96) but I haven't heard any mention of it this time around.

aryan
1st October 2008, 03:12
Cameron McConville isn't it? And the UK better hope to Hare Krishna (or the UK equivalent, Harry Ramsden) that DC and JH prove to be more talented than the pair Australia are stuck with. ;)

"Here comes Australia's Mark Webber!" they cry. Just in case us racing aficionados had forgotten... :p :

Yeah.. the two of them are hopeless.

As far as I know, the highest open-wheel series the guy has competed in is Formula Ford. I mean, couldn't Ten find anyone with a bit more open-wheel racing experience and insight than him? :confused:

Not that I watch Ten these days anyway...

ShiftingGears
1st October 2008, 04:42
Yeah.. the two of them are hopeless.

As far as I know, the highest open-wheel series the guy has competed in is Formula Ford. I mean, couldn't Ten find anyone with a bit more open-wheel racing experience and insight than him? :confused:

Not that I watch Ten these days anyway...

I've never thought Crompton or McConville have been bad, considering that the job they are doing could be covered by cutting straight to Brundle's commentary anyway.

Azumanga Davo
1st October 2008, 08:38
Just had a horrible thought. I hope James Allen isn't thinking of emigrating next year... :s

aryan
2nd October 2008, 08:17
Just had a horrible thought. I hope James Allen isn't thinking of emigrating next year... :s

Hush... he might be reading this. Don't put ideas in his head :D

Azumanga Davo
2nd October 2008, 09:35
Hush... he might be reading this. Don't put ideas in his head :D

Oh, oh right. James, if you are reading this, the above statement never happened. It was all just a big joke of course. DON'T COME HERE, WE HAVE DROP BEARS, JAMES!

Darn, I don't think it's working. I shall try a different stalling technique...

http://www.zombiedasein.com/fun/FUNNY_PICS_COLLECTION/hypnotist.gif

You are under my power James. Don't move to Australia, you will gain a fear of drop bears, do a chicken dance every time you dare to mention the words 'talentless' and 'Sebastien Vettel' (with you James, it should happen often because of your immense power of talent deduction ;) ), and next time a job in the media turns up, you will not bother to turn up or turn up on the promise of not being so sh*t next time.

And, SNAP! You are awake James...

Daniel
2nd October 2008, 11:34
Oh, oh right. James, if you are reading this, the above statement never happened. It was all just a big joke of course. DON'T COME HERE, WE HAVE DROP BEARS, JAMES!

Darn, I don't think it's working. I shall try a different stalling technique...

http://www.zombiedasein.com/fun/FUNNY_PICS_COLLECTION/hypnotist.gif

You are under my power James. Don't move to Australia, you will gain a fear of drop bears, do a chicken dance every time you dare to mention the words 'talentless' and 'Sebastien Vettel' (with you James, it should happen often because of your immense power of talent deduction ;) ), and next time a job in the media turns up, you will not bother to turn up or turn up on the promise of not being so sh*t next time.

And, SNAP! You are awake James...
I can vouch for that. Drop bears are why I moved over here to the UK. Those drop bears are vicious buggers and are not to be underestimated.

acescribe
2nd October 2008, 15:33
Think it was a no-brainer really that the BBC would chase Martin Brundle across for their coverage and also, although sadly, that Steve Rider wouldnt be making the switch. He is a huge motorsport and F1 fan who knows a huge amount about it, but very much an "ITV" front man (after many years of being the same for the BBC) and probably under contract to ITV for a few more years yet. I guess he'll be kept busy with whatever Football they have for 2009. The main commentary was always going to be between Jonathan Legard and David Croft, the latter I would think will still be on 5 Live as the BBC also have retained the radio rights and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Beeb will be utilising their "red button" for those with Sky/Digital and should the viewer wish to, they could listen to the radio commentary instead of the TV one. Really cant think that DC will be in any London studio, if he is involved he will be at the track.

At least the rumours of Richard Hammond, Jeremy Clarkson and then the very frightning one of Adrian Chiles were just that...

As for those that are going...

Ted Kravitz.......still has the BTCC on ITV4. Mark Blundell is still involved with F1 and the sport in general, along with Brundle in their management company. I guess he could well still be at races at may be able to step in if need be. Louise Goodman has a new job with Honda. And James Allen....well, rest assured I doubt he'll be heading down under (!) I'm sure he will crop up somewhere doing something, but it wont be F1 on the BBC. And thank goodness for that!!

I do wonder what is happening with the GP2 coverage though, I'd be pretty sure that the BBC wont be picking that up and ITV have done a good job. IF ITV/North One do still keep that (which is surely unlikely), then perhaps James Allen will voice that instead of David Croft.

Dave B
2nd October 2008, 15:52
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Beeb will be utilising their "red button" for those with Sky/Digital and should the viewer wish to, they could listen to the radio commentary instead of the TV one.
That's the plan, aparently.

I do wonder what is happening with the GP2 coverage though, I'd be pretty sure that the BBC wont be picking that up and ITV have done a good job. IF ITV/North One do still keep that (which is surely unlikely), then perhaps James Allen will voice that instead of David Croft.
If my information is correct the BBC have the rights to all the support races including GP2, which is where Lee McKenzie comes into the equation as presenter - replacing Charlie "should be seen but not heard" Webster.

Valve Bounce
3rd October 2008, 07:42

They read the post where I suggested Brundle and DC. :rolleyes:

Dave B
22nd October 2008, 14:17
Pitpass are quoting the Daily Mail (and yes, I realise the irony of citing two such unreliable sources) who claim the FIA are trying to dissuade the BBC from signing Brundle:

The Daily Mail's Charles Sale claims that the FIA
is far from happy with the BBC's decision to sign
Martin Brundle to its commentary team next season
when it takes over as F1 broadcaster from ITV.

Indeed, Sale writes: "It is the talk of the F1
paddock that Alan Donnelly, the official
representative at races of FIA chairman Max
Mosley, has been trying to dissuade BBC executives
from employing Brundle, who has been at odds with
the governing body since he questioned their
handling of last year's McLaren Spygate affair"

Full story: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=36387

Azumanga Davo
22nd October 2008, 15:01
How many more careers is the Funny Ideas Ar534073 (oh lookie, a play on the FIA moniker) that is Max going to try and ruin?

Mr BBC, Max has told you where to go for a commentary team. Now you write back and tell him where to go. ;)

gloomyDAY
22nd October 2008, 16:32
Max should be careful, unless he wants some more dirty laundry to be exposed!

wedge
22nd October 2008, 16:40
Pitpass are quoting the Daily Mail (and yes, I realise the irony of citing two such unreliable sources) who claim the FIA are trying to dissuade the BBC from signing Brundle:

Full story: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=36387

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article3021312.ece

Oli_M
22nd October 2008, 16:48
"If" this is actually true (as in FIA/Alan Donnelly) trying to dissuade the BBC from signing Brundle..... thats interesting in itself. If hence the BBC do regardless sign Brundle, I shall happily donate the same money as the 2009 tv license to the BBC trust. I am fed up with this pitiful excuse for a man sticking his fat nose in where no one cares about his opinion.

christophulus
22nd October 2008, 17:21
Absolutely ridiculous, Brundle is the only person who should be kept from ITV. FIA has no right to tell the BBC what to do.

What's next.. saying they should keep James Allen due to his insightful, unbiased comments? :p

Knock-on
22nd October 2008, 17:33
WTF has it to do with Max?

BDunnell
22nd October 2008, 17:48
If true, this is absolutely remarkable. Journalism, including commentary, is no place for sycophants who constantly toe one 'party line'. I would have thought Max is more of a man than to be bothered about this - if he can be relaxed about his sexual practices, as came across in his fascinating Guardian interview the other day, surely he can be similarly relaxed about criticism from Martin Brundle?

Knock-on
22nd October 2008, 17:55
Max is nothing if not vindictive. Not a man to be crossed ;)

ArrowsFA1
22nd October 2008, 18:49
If true...It's pathetic. PATHETIC :down: Apparently the writ against MB was quietly dropped after Max making a great deal of noise about it. As MB said in that Times article "I expect my accreditation pass for next year will be hindered in some way to make my coverage of F1 more difficult and to punish me."

It seems he may have been right :mad:

GridGirl
22nd October 2008, 21:43
I was speaking to someone from the ITV f1 team today who told me Martin Brundle is the only one to be swapping to the bbc. As someone who's esentially been sacked they were suprisingly OK with it.

Nikki Katz
22nd October 2008, 22:13
The BBC absolutely have to sign him now! What can the FIA actually do? I guess they could threaten to sue for anything Brundle might say, but it's not like they've taken action against ITV, and Max didn't even go through with the Sunday Times action.

BDunnell
22nd October 2008, 23:02
What can the FIA actually do?

Deny him media accreditation. However, this would be pretty stupid, as becoming embroiled in what would necessarily be a public row with one of the world's biggest broadcasters would do the FIA no favours in the eyes of most.

Let's see whether any of this is actually true, though! I'm sure it will come out somehow if it is.

wedge
22nd October 2008, 23:19
I was speaking to someone from the ITV f1 team today who told me Martin Brundle is the only one to be swapping to the bbc. As someone who's esentially been sacked they were suprisingly OK with it.

So they're not using ITV's production team?

Sounds a bit silly to me considering ITV used the Beeb's staff when the took over (BBC signs still in Silverstone paddock).

Spoonbender
22nd October 2008, 23:52
A few races back, on Martins grid walk. He stopped to speak to Bernie, and Bernie said "who are you working for now?" Martin was speechless for a second. what was that all about???

Hopefully he will transfer, as long as James 'suckmaster burstingfoam' Allen dosen't I'll be happy, He can go on and host "Hole in the Wall" with Dale for all I care. As Harry Hill said last week "have you got a wall without a hole in it"

BDunnell
23rd October 2008, 00:24
So they're not using ITV's production team?

Sounds a bit silly to me considering ITV used the Beeb's staff when the took over (BBC signs still in Silverstone paddock).

That, as I recall, was because the BBC's facilities staff (if I'm correct) were deemed to be the best available and so ITV hired them. It wasn't like hiring the same production company.

GridGirl
23rd October 2008, 08:30
I was talking to someone from the commentary team. It didn't enter my head as about the production team but I doubt they would be out of a job, ITV still has plenty of other sports coverage.

GridGirl
23rd October 2008, 08:32
I was talking to someone from the commentary team. It didn't enter my head as about the production team but I doubt they would be out of a job, ITV still has plenty of other sports coverage.

Dave B
23rd October 2008, 08:58
That, as I recall, was because the BBC's facilities staff (if I'm correct) were deemed to be the best available and so ITV hired them. It wasn't like hiring the same production company.

Correct. Ish. BBC Resources (which has since been sold off) was available to hire to anybody with the budget. ITV didn't have a big enough OB team in place for one-off events like the British GP so like many industries relied on an outside contractor.

It's no different to how, for example, Channel 4 make 8 Out of 10 Cats at BBC Television Centre, or how Have I Got News For You airs on BBC One but is made in an ITV studio.

BBC Sport clearly feel they have the personnel and experience to produce the Grands Prix in-house, although clearly the race pictures will be provided by FOM.

There are rumours that some of the presentation will come from TV Centre before they throw to the local commentators, but in all honestly it's the hour and a half between the five red lights and the chequered flag which really matter - and to have interactive coverage of this with no adverts is worth paying a licence fee for.

BDunnell
23rd October 2008, 10:09
There are rumours that some of the presentation will come from TV Centre before they throw to the local commentators

If this turns out to be true, I think it would be a retrograde step. It is almost the mark of a major sporting event that the presentation is done from the venue, just as has been the case with F1 since 1994.

Dave B
23rd October 2008, 10:43
If this turns out to be true, I think it would be a retrograde step. It is almost the mark of a major sporting event that the presentation is done from the venue, just as has been the case with F1 since 1994.
It depends to what extent it is done, if at all. Thinking about the current ITV programme, would it really make much difference if Steve Rider and Mark Blundell did their piece from a studio? In fact you might even be able to hear them without all the engine noise in the background! In the early days of ITV coverage they had their "hut" on site and it didn't detract from the atmosphere of the event.

One thing the BBC have to consider more carefully than their commercial rivals is the need to be seen spending "our" money wisely. Is it worth the cost of sending two people all over the world just to introduce the coverage, discuss the previous race, then disappear off our screens for two hours before coming back to say goodbye? They might as well be tucked away in a corner of TC5.

In a way I feel sorry for the BBC, they're going to get criticised whatever they do. Such is the nature of change, we're a dogmatic bunch sometimes.

ShiftingGears
23rd October 2008, 10:48
I bet that if the BBC use The Chain as a theme, they will modernise it and it will resultantly sound awful :p :

Speaking of motorsport themes, Channel Ten's ex-motorsport theme was also excellent.
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=EEvFWfLY9p0

BDunnell
23rd October 2008, 10:51
It depends to what extent it is done, if at all. Thinking about the current ITV programme, would it really make much difference if Steve Rider and Mark Blundell did their piece from a studio? In fact you might even be able to hear them without all the engine noise in the background! In the early days of ITV coverage they had their "hut" on site and it didn't detract from the atmosphere of the event.

One thing the BBC have to consider more carefully than their commercial rivals is the need to be seen spending "our" money wisely. Is it worth the cost of sending two people all over the world just to introduce the coverage, discuss the previous race, then disappear off our screens for two hours before coming back to say goodbye? They might as well be tucked away in a corner of TC5.

Generally, the BBC does present all its major live sport from a studio at the venue, though, and I can't see them altering this. Look at Euro 2008 - ITV decided it wasn't worth the bother having a local studio what with England not qualifying and so the coverage was presented from London, but the BBC still had its programming hosted from Vienna. Given that F1 will be a flagship sport for the BBC, it would surprise me, even in these difficult financial times, if the presentation was done from London.

Mark
23rd October 2008, 11:39
Remember, back in the day, they didn't have seperate presenters introducing the race and then summing it up afterwards. The entire coverage was done by the commentators, which when I watched it was Murray Walker and Johnathan Palmer. The first and last voice you'd hear on the transmission was Murray's. You'd never usually see any of them on camera.

To my mind if Brundle is going to be at the race anyway in order to commentate on it, he might as well be the main presenter too, perhaps wheeling in an ex-driver pundit like DC who would probably be at most of the races anyway.

I just don't see the point of this rigdid split ITV seem to have between presentation team and commentary team.

BDunnell
23rd October 2008, 11:48
Remember, back in the day, they didn't have seperate presenters introducing the race and then summing it up afterwards. The entire coverage was done by the commentators, which when I watched it was Murray Walker and Johnathan Palmer. The first and last voice you'd hear on the transmission was Murray's. You'd never usually see any of them on camera.

To my mind if Brundle is going to be at the race anyway in order to commentate on it, he might as well be the main presenter too, perhaps wheeling in an ex-driver pundit like DC who would probably be at most of the races anyway.

I just don't see the point of this rigdid split ITV seem to have between presentation team and commentary team.

Well, it's generally the way on televised sport, because presenting it and commentating upon it are two very different disciplines, and someone may be very good at one but crap at the other. And it's not just ITV that do it - this is the case with all BBC sports coverage I can think of.

As I mentioned, the BBC started covering more races live from the circuit with Steve Rider presenting in 1994, when they first had an outside broadcast unit at Imola. It's been a regular fixture since then.

wedge
23rd October 2008, 15:56
I prefer the presentation on-site. It seems cheap these days cf. ITV/Eurosport/Motors tv. Its how its done these days. NASCAR had the same progression over the past decade, even BTCC does thanks to Rider.

I remember the anti-climax when Rider presented the 1994 Adelaide race from a studio. Just didn't seem right whereas these days you can sense the anticipation.

Spoonbender
23rd October 2008, 16:36
Evryone keeps mentioning DC as presenter/pundit etc, I thought Brundle had already said that DC was staying on at Red Bull as some sort of advisor, like MS at Ferrari?

wedge
23rd October 2008, 22:31
Yep and testing cars.

DC should be free to do the commentary/punditry on GP weekends. Wurz does the Austrian commentary on Sundays. Anthony Davidson helped out with 5live and ITV.

Sarah
26th October 2008, 15:29
I see this has been mentioned in passing on another thread but this was in the Daily Express on Friday.....

Eddie Jordan looks to be the surprise new name on a podium of former racing drivers the BBC has put together for their F1 coverage.

DC and MB have already been earmarked for roles. Jordan refused to comment but insiders say he has been selected for his expertise both on and off the track.

"We have not confirmed our line up yet the process is expected to have been completed by Christmas."

Giuseppe F1
26th October 2008, 17:11
Evryone keeps mentioning DC as presenter/pundit etc, I thought Brundle had already said that DC was staying on at Red Bull as some sort of advisor, like MS at Ferrari?

It will be interesting to see how both are managed.

However, when Niki Lauda was Team Boss at Jaguar Racing, he still acted as TV pundit for RTL's (German TV) F1 coverage

wedge
4th November 2008, 00:03
Jonathan Legard showed great insight on Inside Sport and knows his stuff. Don't particularly fondly remember his commentary for 5live.

David Croft is still a preference.

Lee McKenzie has left Sky/A1GP and took over Holly Samos last weekend, presumably signed up to the Beeb so it seems those rumours might be accurate.

Spoonbender
6th November 2008, 23:19
The BBC aired a documentry on Lewis Hamilton this week. The only ITV presenter that featured with his views, yup you guessed it, James Allen!! Only proving that BBC have obviously got contact with him. For those that didn't see it, it's on BBC's iPlayer website.

BDunnell
6th November 2008, 23:21
The BBC aired a documentry on Lewis Hamilton this week. The only ITV presenter that featured with his views, yup you guessed it, James Allen!! Only proving that BBC have obviously got contact with him. For those that didn't see it, it's on BBC's iPlayer website.

I don't really think that proves anything, to be honest.

BDunnell
6th November 2008, 23:22
Jonathan Legard showed great insight on Inside Sport and knows his stuff. Don't particularly fondly remember his commentary for 5live.

David Croft is still a preference.

I too think David Croft is better on Five Live than Jonathan Legard was. Still reckon Ben Edwards would be a better bet than either, though.

Spoonbender
6th November 2008, 23:27
I don't really think that proves anything, to be honest.

I hope not, just thought they would have been better getting the views of Martin Brundle, especially if we're all asuming he will be part of their team. Guess we'll just have to wait (hope) and see.

DazzlaF1
6th November 2008, 23:54
I too think David Croft is better on Five Live than Jonathan Legard was. Still reckon Ben Edwards would be a better bet than either, though.

I second that, David Croft's commentary on 5live is top notch, along with that, he also does Darts for the BBC and Boxing on Setanta (he's commentating on Calzaghe v Jones Jnr for them this weekend), so his sporting knowledge. If he were to end up getting the BBC TV commentary on F1 full time, i wont be complaining. But on 5live he has built up a good commentary pairing with Maurice Hamilton and i have a feeling that if Brundle does indeed transfer over to the BBC, then Jonathan Legard will get the nod.

HOW I WOULD LIKE IT TO END UP
PRESENTER/ANALYSTS: Jake Humphrey, David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan
COMMENTATORS: David Croft & Martin Brundle
PIT REPORTER: Holly Samos

HOW IT WILL LIKELY END UP
PRESENTER/ANALYSTS: Jake Humphrey, David Coulthard & Tony Jardine (i have a feeling he'll return)
COMMENTATORS: Jonathan Legard & Martin Brundle
PIT REPORTER: Lee McKenzie

wedge
18th November 2008, 12:39
Brundle confirmed!

http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/72167

CNR
19th November 2008, 21:43
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/f1/news/171914-0/content.html

“I briefly considered calling it a day, but in the end I decided to take up the BBC's offer and I am now very excited about working for them next year.”

woody2goody
19th November 2008, 21:57
Great stuff :)

At least we have one bit confirmed which we know won't be rubbish lol.

Brown, Jon Brow
19th November 2008, 22:08
More importantly - when are we going to see Brundle in the Suzuki Liana on Top Gear?