PDA

View Full Version : 2008 V8's....tttthats all folks !!!

Duane
29th September 2008, 00:19
Yes its now official, Mallory was our last event, Brands and Snetterton have been canned, so for those of you who missed us away from the Rock and could'nt be botherd to travell to support us......well enough said !!!

looking back at the 08 season it has seen the V8's race at 6 of the 10 scheduled meetings, and fielded 1- 7 cars in those, Colin being the one who made all the races and justly made the "Best V8 Driver of the year" with a closely fought fight for the next best driver,s, it ending up with Paul Bowman, Tony Hurdle and Chris Richardson lining up behind Colin and Duncan with all his car troubles galantly following in behind them, another 4 drivers, Shane Breaton, Miguel gomes, Rob Compton and Phil Weaver made it a total of 9 drivers who had a go in 08, when i tell you that having 18 drivers agreeing to pay in advance to race at Rockingham last November, and get turned away, and to only get a maximum of 7 at Brands you could say it got a little disheartening for those who stuck with it, and im sure the same for those fans who came and gave us a look as well.

These last two meetings however have been very good, both Snetterton and today at Mallory being well attended with old friends from Rockingham showing up, both events looked busy and new friends have been made.

So improvements have been made, we are able to race away from the Oval but would like to race the Oval as well, Tony today was overall best V8 driver, there was 11 cars on track, 5 V8's instead of 6 thanks to a last minite hitch for Colin's second driver, but what we do next season is up in the air, a mix of tracks with Rockingham in there is what is needed to get the other cars out but one thing is for sure higher car numbers on any of the tracks is what is most needed, 16 V8's at mallory today would of been awesome.... but to those who did it this year, drivers and crew and loyal supporters, you have been most Magnificent, Thank you all.

Duane :s mokin:

The White Lady
29th September 2008, 14:19
Yes its now official, Mallory was our last event, Brands and Snetterton have been canned, so for those of you who missed us away from the Rock and could'nt be botherd to travell to support us......well enough said !!!

Some of your very loyal supporters from the past are not able to travel, including myself. We wished you well in your new venture. I'm a little upset with your use of terminology here. Should you return to the Rock we'll be back to see you again - if we're still welcome!

Dave17
29th September 2008, 15:06
Nice meeting with you again Duane.
I spent the whole of the first race explaining the history of ASCAR to the rest of post 8 (esses out). One of the marshals from 'oop norf' hadn't even heard of them before! Refering to them as "them big yank boggers". at the end of the race he came up to me and said "them yank boggers can't have the 'ead round this micky circuit, gerum on a fast un where they belong" You know, I know exactly what he means!!!
Best of luck for 2009.

Dave17
29th September 2008, 15:07
WhoooHooo! 1500 posts. Been around here too long.......(or got too much to say for myself!)

cgs
29th September 2008, 20:00
we were not able to attend any of thr races this year, but were planning on attending Brands, shame it's now been cancelled. we were able to see you at Farnborough though which was nice.

hope to see you back on the Rockingham oval next year. good luck with it!

fastbob
29th September 2008, 22:31
could'nt be botherd to travell to support us......well enough said !!!

I'm sure Duane wasn't suggesting that any possible shortcomings of the series we're caused by fans or lack of them.

Gasman#99
29th September 2008, 22:35
And those who didnt go, you missed a V8 trying to compete for the 2012 olympics high jump, the bar is now set at 4feet!!!

racing59
29th September 2008, 22:53
I'd like to say a big thank you to Duane for letting me loose in the 99 car at Cadwell. That was great fun, I enjoyed it a lot. Except for the chorus of "Who let the bolt out - who who who....."

Let's get 2009 built and ready to rumble!

Duane
30th September 2008, 06:28
It was our pleasure Rob, Cadwell turned out to a great place to race just a shame about the paddock really.

Bob any blame for the way the series is now can never be laid at the feet of the fans, in fact crowds have been quite healthy this year considering, well apart from Cadwell, the trouble is that whilst the organising club cannot recieve the gate for the meeting they are running they will never advertise it.
Thus a comercial basis is hard to build back up again, im sure even the hard hitters running there own series are to find it hard next year, i dont know where any series will end up next year let alone our V8's.

Duane :)

Speedworx
30th September 2008, 19:59
None of the races this year were good for me to attend.

Had there been a race @ Silverstone, it might have been different.

Hope to see you back at Rockingham where the cars belong in 09.

JovialJooles
1st October 2008, 11:32

Nice to see you have been honing your PR skills.

And you wonder why people don't come to the events and have deserted this forum? :rotflmao:

Duane
1st October 2008, 17:21
Just stating the truth JJ, if its hit a nerve then sorry.

my post is born of the facts as i know them whereby in the last year many oppionions have been thrown the series and my way without full facts being held by the accusers, like i said on another post you and others are entitled to there oppinions.........and there are many of them.......and if i currently have any skills left its in Welding and fabrication and the use of truth and facts.

Tractorboy.
1st October 2008, 17:27
Nice to see you have been honing your PR skills.

And you wonder why people don't come to the events and have deserted this forum? :rotflmao:

His PR skills aint that bad at least he tries. As for people deserting the forum it was you that pissed a lot of people off by being a little power crazy Hitler. Telling people what they can and cannot write on a public forum.

kjb
1st October 2008, 18:30
very well said tractor!!! as for jj! well one day he'll get off his throne

mickholly
1st October 2008, 19:33
His PR skills aint that bad at least he tries. As for people deserting the forum it was you that pissed a lot of people off by being a little power crazy Hitler. Telling people what they can and cannot write on a public forum.

Thats the truest thing I have read on this forum for an age and the reason I no longer post on here

fastbob
1st October 2008, 19:49
the reason I no longer post on here

;-)

JovialJooles
1st October 2008, 20:05
Don't worry guys; this is the last post I will make on this forum.

I resigned as moderator in July and have hardly been on since.

You ask for commitment from the fans; but as a series you have fallen woefully short this season.

You have the gall to bitch at people for not spending their hard earned money to watch you race at other venues.

Why would I want to travel further afield at more expense to watch a few V8s race? What a Joke!

Anyway, what is the point of arguing my case... You will only flame me. Just remember, I used to be a loyal fan until you all started bitching.

It makes such good business sense to p1ss off your loyal supporters.

You've lost me for good.

Idiots...

Tractorboy.
1st October 2008, 20:45
cheerio.

Reynard
1st October 2008, 21:36
Honestly, you lot... *sigh*

There are times I feel like rounding you all up, wanging you in a play pen and giving you a dummy each. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's a woman thing, I dunno. *shrug*

Duane
1st October 2008, 21:54
JJ , like i said you are entitled to your oppinion.

But i quite understand why people have not come to see us away from the rock, half the cars didnt want to know so why should the fans ???, at times i guess we have felt like iditos, taking 2 or even 5 cars to a meeting, but we made an agreement to join with the VSR's as it was the only way by then (feb08) to keep both series going.

well when i say half the cars, most of the cars but like you they wanted to be at the rock.......am i having a go at them, or you guy's, No, you are however missing the point, 18 cars were up for it at the rock on the back of 15 cars at the last meeting 07 but it was to late, i hoped 10 of them would join with 10 VSR's but credit crunch hit and im sure our series wasnt the only one hit by it let alone those who will be next year.

so right now its not about PR as such just trying to answer some of the questions aimed at me during the year now the season has finished, on the plus side we can run on road courses !!!!

Dont you think Rockingham might of missed us then ???

Duane
1st October 2008, 21:56
Oh Witty, you came to see us and liked it, thats good enough for me.

racing59
1st October 2008, 22:18
Dont you think Rockingham might of missed us then ???

Very much so by all accounts, from what I've heard. ;)

Reynard
1st October 2008, 23:10
Oh Witty, you came to see us and liked it, thats good enough for me.

It's always a pleasure Duane, you know that. :) I thoroughly enjoyed it and the tea was good too. :up:

Redmond500
2nd October 2008, 17:28
and the tea was good too. :up:

I'll 2nd that.. :p

On a serious note - I will be honest and say I'm pretty dissapointed with myself this year! As a long term supporter with a couple of great years involvment with ASCAR/SCSA, I kinda feel I could of done more this year.

I'm not gonna go into why, or bore you with any excuses. But I do want to thank Duane and everyone who has done everything they can to keep the racing going throughout this year. Well done guys/gals...

.....and hope to see you in 09.

Frank.

Duane
2nd October 2008, 18:21
Cheers Frank, nice to hear from you.

Frank proves you can still be a fan and supporter of the series even if you can't make the races.

hope to see you next year too !!!!! :)

Adrian_V8
2nd October 2008, 19:29
Hi Duane

just thought I would add my comments as an outsider. I really enjoyed Mallory, the cars (as ever) looked awesome. They did appear to struggle a bit round the tight track. To me this showed that they should be back at the Rock where they belong.

Having said that I think you have done a superb, and tireless job, in your super human efforts to keep the series going. Well done! I still think the ASCAR's are one of the best kept secrets in motor racing. We all know this should not be the case.

And finally, I believe I was a bit harsh on you with that sponsorship issue. Having seen the cars I think you made a fair compromise. Sorry :-(. I did come over a second time to say that, but you had your head stuck under a yellow wing and half a tonne of duck tape!

Hope you get a series going next year.

Adrian

The Pits!
2nd October 2008, 20:15
Cheers Frank, nice to hear from you.
Frank proves you can still be a fan and supporter of the series even if you can't make the races. hope to see you next year too !!!!! :)
I'm also a fan and supporter of the series and have been since it's inception.

For those of you with short memories I'll remind you that I attended the very first Rockingham meeting (behind closed doors) and then EVERY (except July 2007 where I was rained off :( ) ASCAR/SCSA/whatever OVAL race since.

All the time it was an OVAL series you would find me there as your Chief Pit, unfortunately I also have other commitments for other clubs, at other circuits, so in 2008 I was unable to attend any of the "SCSA Away-Days".

When (IF?) you return to your spiritual home let me know and I'll be back!!!

In the meanwhile, well done in keeping the flag flying in 2008.

Gasman#99
2nd October 2008, 20:38
I agree with all the comments on here, i to think and wish we were back at rockingham, when we were told this year we would be on road courses, i thought oh no and then picked out 2 races i would goto, however when the first race of the season came along and the sound of them V8's roared into action that was it and i was there for them all. Well done not only to Duane but everyone involved this year in keeping it going, and lets pray for next year.

The Pits!
2nd October 2008, 21:31
lets pray for

some Rockingham racing

next year.

:)

mickholly
2nd October 2008, 21:35
Don't worry guys; this is the last post I will make on this forum.

I resigned as moderator in July and have hardly been on since.

You ask for commitment from the fans; but as a series you have fallen woefully short this season.

You have the gall to bitch at people for not spending their hard earned money to watch you race at other venues.

Why would I want to travel further afield at more expense to watch a few V8s race? What a Joke!

Anyway, what is the point of arguing my case... You will only flame me. Just remember, I used to be a loyal fan until you all started bitching.

It makes such good business sense to p1ss off your loyal supporters.

You've lost me for good.

Idiots...

Yes you are were a loyal supporter but in my view a crap moderater you stopped all of the banter and lost a lot of the one big family atmosphere on here anyway I'm back. Hows things Whitty and how are you fastbob ( a Legend I Hear !!!!!!) A big thankyou to Duane and Colin for all there hard work. We tried to do our bit by bringing the old V8 VSR out, had a few hard races with the CWS cars and took some of Colin's paint and rubber home each time cus if you aint rubbing you aint racing
Mick

The Pits!
2nd October 2008, 21:40
Anyway, what is the point of arguing my case... You will only flame me

Yes you are were a loyal supporter but in my view a crap moderater and you weren't wrong were you :(

Let it go guys......

Reynard
3rd October 2008, 12:48
Pits is right. Let it go, guys - water under the bridge and all that, yadda, yadda, yadda.

racing59
3rd October 2008, 18:42
Yadda?

Under the bridge, the water must go, yes, Mmmmmm.

When three years old you act, look good you will not, yes, Mmmmmm.

Oh, Yadda, not Yoda. Sorry, my mishtake!

:D

jeffmr2
3rd October 2008, 21:52
Bloody hell there are some seriously uptight people out there,i remember when we were all one big happy family on here!!
I havent been to an ascar race for 2 seasons now but still think of myself as a fan,if you had run at pembrey i would have been there then to be honest i just couldnt be bothered for mallory.
I just want to say well done to all concerned in keeping the series alive for another season.Now do whatever it takes to get us all back at the rock!!

BTW without the ascars there as well what were the attendances like for the pickups running as headliners on the oval? Not knocking them at all but just wondering did they draw the crowds in they and rockingham would have expected?

The White Lady
3rd October 2008, 23:53
Bloody hell there are some seriously uptight people out there,i remember when we were all one big happy family on here!!
I havent been to an ascar race for 2 seasons now but still think of myself as a fan,if you had run at pembrey i would have been there then to be honest i just couldnt be bothered for mallory.
I just want to say well done to all concerned in keeping the series alive for another season.Now do whatever it takes to get us all back at the rock!!

BTW without the ascars there as well what were the attendances like for the pickups running as headliners on the oval? Not knocking them at all but just wondering did they draw the crowds in they and rockingham would have expected?

Hi Jeff,

Not quite like the good old days when we had the pot noodle horn and you had the grumpy old man t shirt......

Crumbs, I feel like your friend and we've never met!

There were a few more I think this weekend than in July - much harder to count them in the stand from the top of the garages. Once upon a time you couldn't breathe if you stood on top of the garages it was so crowded.

Like you, we still think of ourselves as fans, but it seems like Duane doesn't as we didn't go to the other circuits. Guess that makes us officially pick up racing fans now, and boy the racing was good on Sunday.

In answer to your question, no the pickups didn't draw the crowds, but without the massive publicity that was generated in 2004/06 that was never going to happen.

There was a particular appeal to the American style of stock car racing on the oval, some of us really got with the sound and feel of a pack of those V8's thundering round the track - 'ovals is where they belong' is what a southern girl would say :) They may work on a track, but that isn't what the original Days of Thunder fans were sold or fell in love with.

Personally I think the best years were when it was the first Sunday of the month from May to October - it made it so easy to plan it into the diary, and unless we were out of the country we made everyone of them!

Unfortunately different tracks won't generate the same feel as the oval, and are geographically challenging for those of us who have regular Sunday commitments in other areas.

As I can get to Rockingham easily (I can make an 11.30 race after Sunday service) and sans V8's the pick up trucks are as good as it gets for close running on an oval in this country.

Only bettered for me this year by the Moslers in the Britcar 24 hours at Silverstone, but that's another story..(well worth staying up all night for though!)

And just in case Jovial Jooles is still peeking, in IMHO he took on a tough job as moderator at a time when people were beginning to think it acceptable to use foul and abusive language on the forum - it wans't the mods who stopped it being family friendly if you care to read some of those threads again. It was a tough job and he wasn't going to please everyone. At one time the tone of the posts kept me away, and I've been a regular fan/supporter/poster for some time.

Anyways, better sign off before I upset everyone, get banned or whatever.

For the record we will keep supporting the pick ups, and if the V8's get back to the Rock we'll support them too unless Duane bans us for not travelling around with him this year :)

I live in hope that in the future I shall feel the thunder and hear the noise , and Jeff can go back to complaining about kids, horns and funfairs!!!! :cheese:

kjb
4th October 2008, 06:54
the problem weve got is that "if" the stock cars are ever back at the rock then it probably wont be on the same schedule as the trucks unfortunately! and people can read into this as they see fit cos i'm just stating the facts! as for truck audiance numbers, well if i remember correctly there were only sub 100 paying tickets bought for the GT/F3 trucks weekend so as far as can see the whole thing has fell appart and crumbled, when the cars were there we thought a poor turn out in the seats was sub 3000!
but hey ho who knows what the future holds for the cars, here or in europe where its far more economical to race, with better prospects for the future!!!!!!!!!!! seeeeyaaa

Reynard
4th October 2008, 12:24
Ah yes Gillan... Moderating is a dirty job but some poor sucker's gotta do it. And yes before you ask, I *was* sober when muggins here volunteered. ;)

(Things are teetotal chez Casa Witty)

ascarmarshal
4th October 2008, 16:47
I haven't been to a US style Stock Car meeting in the UK since 2005 when Mum fell ill. I would love to come back but it won't be as a marshal. I have different priorities now. Even now 2 years on from Mums death I still find it hard to watch Stock Cars as they were such a big part of our lives from 2001. I miss all the gang that was involved in the best championship that UK motorsport has seen. It was hard when we had two testing at Brands earlier in the year. I think Mum would be very upset to see how teh series and this forum has seemed to have gone.

I wish the series all the best for the future and hope it returns to those glory days of the past.

Gasman#99
4th October 2008, 17:10
I haven't been to a US style Stock Car meeting in the UK since 2005 when Mum fell ill. I would love to come back but it won't be as a marshal. I have different priorities now. Even now 2 years on from Mums death I still find it hard to watch Stock Cars as they were such a big part of our lives from 2001. I miss all the gang that was involved in the best championship that UK motorsport has seen. It was hard when we had two testing at Brands earlier in the year. I think Mum would be very upset to see how teh series and this forum has seemed to have gone.

I wish the series all the best for the future and hope it returns to those glory days of the past.
Your mum lives on through you, and we really hope you come back and visit us again some day, our door at revolution racing will always be open.

The Pits!
5th October 2008, 10:50
And just in case Jovial Jooles is still peeking, in IMHO he took on a tough job as moderator at a time when people were beginning to think it acceptable to use foul and abusive language on the forum - it wans't the mods who stopped it being family friendly if you care to read some of those threads again. It was a tough job and he wasn't going to please everyone. At one time the tone of the posts kept me away, and I've been a regular fan/supporter/poster for some time.. Here here -well said :)

Anyways, better sign off before I upset everyone, get banned or whatever. -ditto - lol