PDA

View Full Version : While we're at it

call_me_andrew
28th September 2008, 22:55
Now that Bernie has made himself into Christopher Columbus by discovering something millions of people have known about for years (night racing), he may wish to see if lightning will strike twice by having a Formula One oval race. The most likely tracks would be Euro Speedway, Rockingham (UK), and Indianapolis as they already have the necessary garage areas. If Donington Park isn't ready for 2010, I'm sure Rockhingham would be. Throw in a SAFER Barrier and its good to go. The best part about Formula One on an oval is that the cars have enough downforce that the drivers will never have to lift. It's not one of those "stop and go" tracks you complain about so much.

Rollo
29th September 2008, 00:48
Is this supposed to be a sarcastic thread?

A GP has a prescribed maximum distance of either 305km or 2 hrs. 305km is about 190 miles. I wager that a Formula one car could travel that distance on an oval in less than an hour.

How pray tell is Bernie going to sell advert space if you only have hour races?

call_me_andrew
29th September 2008, 05:59
I'd say it's half sarcastic. But it also makes light of those who want high speed circuits instead of stop-and-go racing like we saw this weekend.

You have to think big picture. Sure, the race will end quickly, but oval tracks don't have local yellows. It's either saftey car or green and nothing in between (rhyme not intended). That should help stretch things out.

aryan
29th September 2008, 08:53
I'd be OK with one oval (and just ONE oval) during the season.

Would add to the variety.

This wouldn't happen though, as Rollo mentioned, the formula one car will be too fast around an oval. Also, I think with the speeds they'll be doing, it will be dangerous, very dangerous.

ShiftingGears
29th September 2008, 09:24
Ovals are way too boring. I'd prefer circuits like Imola or Spa anyday.

MAX_THRUST
29th September 2008, 09:47
What Bernie really needs is a copy of the Cleveland Burke lake Front Airport circuit, big pen spaces, loads of overtaking and racing lines....

Sorry it took Bernie and F1 so long to see the benefits of street and night racing, but they did do it better than our American Friends did.....

call_me_andrew
30th September 2008, 03:09
I'd be OK with one oval (and just ONE oval) during the season.

Would add to the variety.

This wouldn't happen though, as Rollo mentioned, the formula one car will be too fast around an oval. Also, I think with the speeds they'll be doing, it will be dangerous, very dangerous.

1. IndyCar does it all the time and they've got a pretty spotty safety record.
2. Very dangerous? Like driving on city streets in a car with no headlights at high speed after dark?
3. I know #2 made you think of it, but please don't make a Driven reference.

F1boat
30th September 2008, 07:10
IMO the trouble is that rain cancells or postpones a race and I can't imagine a F1 race being cancelled or postponed.