PDA

View Full Version : Surely worth a mention

jso1985
28th September 2008, 20:18
4 drivers from the same country finished on points today.

Even if lots of things came into play for that result, it's notable that Germany is still a major force in F1

pettersolberg29
28th September 2008, 20:21
The future's bright for Germany - Vettel and Rosberg are future title contenders, while Nick and Glock will get consistent results for a few years yet.

jens
28th September 2008, 20:32
Plus very probably Euro F3 winner Hülkenberg will join F1 during the next few years.

What is interesting that the group of currently young German racing drivers (20 or a bit above that) all started karting, when Michael Schumacher became a superstar in F1. I personally think that there is a connection (the rise of MS made racing more popular in his home land) between those events and now - after the retirement of MS - Germany is becoming a more serious force in F1 than ever before, which is a legacy of the 7xWDC.

philipbain
28th September 2008, 21:30
I agree - Germany has a bright future in terms of F1 drivers, Vettel has superstar written all over him (not literally of course, that would be odd) and Rosberg has already proven his abilities in GP2 and F1.

As for Hulkenberg, i'm going to stick my neck out here and say that he may prove to be the Stefano Modena of the current era. Stefan was a driver that was immensely successful through the ladder series on his way to F1 but when he got there he lacked the ultimate drive to really make it. I cite his very first GP as an example of this, the Australian GP of 1987 at the wheel of a Brabham (the last GP that Bernie Ecclestone contested as a team owner as it happens). He was the reigning F3000 champion so he was fully race fit, yet he ultimately retired from the race, not because the car failed, but because he was in discomfort, a more determined driver would work through the pain barrier, but he didnt. That for me underlined his entire career in F1. As for Hulkenberg, I have seen similar traits, retiring a healthy car from an F3 race simply because he was mired in the midfield, rather than fighting his way through to improve his position. All the best drivers, no matter what position they are fighting for will never give in if there is a position up for grabs, I find this apparent willingness to give up a real character flaw in a racing driver.

cy bais
28th September 2008, 22:21
if only Adrian Sutil lands on a decent team :)

ShiftingGears
29th September 2008, 01:04
I agree - Germany has a bright future in terms of F1 drivers, Vettel has superstar written all over him (not literally of course, that would be odd) and Rosberg has already proven his abilities in GP2 and F1.

As for Hulkenberg, i'm going to stick my neck out here and say that he may prove to be the Stefano Modena of the current era. Stefan was a driver that was immensely successful through the ladder series on his way to F1 but when he got there he lacked the ultimate drive to really make it. I cite his very first GP as an example of this, the Australian GP of 1987 at the wheel of a Brabham (the last GP that Bernie Ecclestone contested as a team owner as it happens). He was the reigning F3000 champion so he was fully race fit, yet he ultimately retired from the race, not because the car failed, but because he was in discomfort, a more determined driver would work through the pain barrier, but he didnt. That for me underlined his entire career in F1. As for Hulkenberg, I have seen similar traits, retiring a healthy car from an F3 race simply because he was mired in the midfield, rather than fighting his way through to improve his position. All the best drivers, no matter what position they are fighting for will never give in if there is a position up for grabs, I find this apparent willingness to give up a real character flaw in a racing driver.

Rosberg hasn't convinced me. Thoroughly destroyed by Webber throughout 2006. 2007 - there was a good reason why Wurz was a tester, not a racer, for so many years. Nakajima is average, or thereabouts.

Knock-on
29th September 2008, 13:40
The future's bright for Germany - Vettel and Rosberg are future title contenders, while Nick and Glock will get consistent results for a few years yet.

I would swop NR and TG around but yes.

Rollo
29th September 2008, 14:17
Even if lots of things came into play for that result, it's notable that Germany is still a major force in F1

From the drivers standpoint:
D 120
Fin 108
Bra 101
GB 95
PL 64
E 38
I 26
Aus 20
J 9
F 4

From the constructors standpoint (where I've simply taken the points from chassis and engine suppliers - if you supply both you score twice):
I 330
D 255
GB 161
J 146
F 130
CH 120
AUT 28

Which means overall we get this:
D 375
I 356
GB 256
J 155
F 134
CH 120
Fin 108
Bra 101
PL 64
E 38
AUT 28
Aus 20

Germany is indeed the current superpower in F1 contrary to a longstanding signature on these very boards... dare I mention the Axis powers?