PDA

View Full Version : Simple Rule! A Woman Must Tell Them???

elinagr
28th September 2008, 20:09
We saw today how dangerous is the refueling of this cars!!!
A rule that will say that the car MUST BE ON THE AIR during the refueling is the best in my opinion.If the wheels spin, surely no one will get injured!
Cars are on the air for tyres change, why they can't make the rule so that the car stays up during refueling? simple as that!

your opinions please!!!

thanks

jso1985
28th September 2008, 20:14
I just think Ferrari's light system doesn't work, that's all.
other teams rarely mess up with the fuel hose

Robinho
28th September 2008, 20:34
actually thats a brilliant idea, car up on jacks when the hose is on, should any of the wheels touch the ground whilst the hose is still in, instant drive thru penalty

Zico
28th September 2008, 21:05
Yep..

Or they could simply hang a very large LCD screen with 180 Deg viewing angle or convex (?) mirror that allows the driver to make the decision when its safe to go by having a perfect view of all the pit crew AND any oncoming pitlane traffic.

elinagr
28th September 2008, 21:45
my idea is perfect :D

fizzicist
28th September 2008, 22:41
Too logical for the FIA sadly!

I remember the Active suspension Lotus in 1992 which when pitted, rather than being jacked up, the suspension was programmed to dump the car on the floor and lift all the wheels off the ground. Looked very trick.

ioan
29th September 2008, 07:03
They (Ferrari that is) will still manage to screw it one way or another.

markabilly
29th September 2008, 07:50
A rule that will say that the car MUST BE ON THE AIR during the refueling is the best in my opinion.If the wheels spin, surely no one will get injured!
Cars are on the air for tyres change, why they can't make the rule so that the car stays up during refueling? simple as that!

your opinions please!!!

thanks

And to be even safer, the car must remain ON THE AIR during the whole race, except ferrari might screw that up by forgetting to put the driver in before the start of the race....

nothing more fun than showing up after a big battle and bayoneting the wounded!!

Knock-on
29th September 2008, 13:36

your opinions please!!!

thanks

It's actually a very good idea.

The only problem I can see is some bonehead driver going the second the wheels touch the ground taking the jack man with him.

Automatic jacks?

Rusty Spanner
29th September 2008, 14:07
The problem I think with saying the car must have the wheels off the ground whilst refuelling is when you come to disengage the rig. I think there would be a real chance of pulling the car off the jacks as they disengage the rig - particularly if it sticks. Therefore you can't let the driver go as soon as the wheels touch the ground - plus you've got to deal with traffic - so you still need a lollipop system of some sort. If you still need the lollipop then the person controlling it is going to anticipate the rig coming free and jacks being dropped so if it doesn't you're back to the original problem of cars leaving with the rig attached.

elinagr
29th September 2008, 21:12
with the current situation of Ferrari, if this rule take effect, we will see massa exiting the pits on wheels like wheel chair :D

Hawkmoon
29th September 2008, 23:35
How about they just ban refuelling? It's not adding to the sport in any good way. All it does is force the teams to play tactical games with fuel loads from qualifying onwards.

Sure we'll get the odd processional race but we get that now with refuelling. Get rid of it. It's dangerous and adds nothing to the spectacle of F1.

ArrowsFA1
30th September 2008, 07:40
How about they just ban refuelling? It's not adding to the sport in any good way. All it does is force the teams to play tactical games with fuel loads from qualifying onwards.

Sure we'll get the odd processional race but we get that now with refuelling. Get rid of it. It's dangerous and adds nothing to the spectacle of F1.
Gets my vote :up: Keep tyre changes though because that adds a variable that depends on the driver managing tyre wear as the fuel load lightens.

ioan
30th September 2008, 08:48

Not from Bernie's POV. oddly enough he sees this as a big part of the spectacle. :\

TMorel
30th September 2008, 11:24
I like the fact that refueling adds a chance for a team to do something a bit different.
I'd much rather the brakes and aero were sorted so we could have overtaking on track. If that was easier, then I'd not mind the odd bit of overtaking at the pit stops.

But knowing how things happen in the real world when Max and Bernie get involved, we're probably more likely to have all teams forced that when pitting, to use the electronic lights instead of a lolipop and the FIA introduce a random element for when the light turns green, that way adding a bit of "excitement" that they think us fans want.

Whyzars
30th September 2008, 11:25
Not from Bernie's POV. oddly enough he sees this as a big part of the spectacle. :\

And I think he's right, it is a big part of the spectacle. :)

In my opinion pit stops should be avoided by teams and the only way to do this is to tweak the timing equation. The current timings see two stop strategies as the rule rather than the exception - this effectively doubles the risk of negative events with re-fueling.

I think the "rush" may be reduced by making the tyre change a slower process so that the fueling rig is not the last event to occur before the car exits. As someone mentioned they need the car on the ground before removing the rig so this would also have to be dealt with.

I would suggest that the tyre change process not commence until the fuelling rig is removed successfully.

:)

Knock-on
30th September 2008, 11:48
But knowing how things happen in the real world when Max and Bernie get involved, we're probably more likely to have all teams forced that when pitting, to use the electronic lights instead of a lolipop and the FIA introduce a random element for when the light turns green, that way adding a bit of "excitement" that they think us fans want.

:laugh: LOL

Yep, wait for automated pit release to be mandatory for "safety" reasons :D

Whyzars
30th September 2008, 12:14
... If you still need the lollipop then the person controlling it is going to anticipate the rig coming free and jacks being dropped so if it doesn't you're back to the original problem of cars leaving with the rig attached.

Its interesting that they use a button to signify to the system that the rig is disengaged as opposed to some kind of proximity sensor that doesn't trigger until the rig is clear.

I guess human error must be better than computer error... :)

Dave B
30th September 2008, 12:38
And I think he's right, it is a big part of the spectacle. :)

In my opinion pit stops should be avoided by teams and the only way to do this is to tweak the timing equation. The current timings see two stop strategies as the rule rather than the exception - this effectively doubles the risk of negative events with re-fueling.

I think the "rush" may be reduced by making the tyre change a slower process so that the fueling rig is not the last event to occur before the car exits. As someone mentioned they need the car on the ground before removing the rig so this would also have to be dealt with.

I would suggest that the tyre change process not commence until the fuelling rig is removed successfully.

:)

You raise an interesting point but rather than wait until the fuelling process is finished you could simply slow the flow from the rigs to such an extent that there's no advantage in rushing - say a paltry 2L/sec.

Knock-on
30th September 2008, 13:36
You raise an interesting point but rather than wait until the fuelling process is finished you could simply slow the flow from the rigs to such an extent that there's no advantage in rushing - say a paltry 2L/sec.

I like the idea of an automated bollard that only goes down once the rig has been removed.

Here are the FIA tests results.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Cw0QJU8ro&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZdLjKl0lHc&NR=1

Dave B
30th September 2008, 13:44
Here are the FIA tests results.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Cw0QJU8ro&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZdLjKl0lHc&NR=1
:D I actually watched something similar happen when I lived in Ashford, sadly in the days before video capture being commonplace on mobile phones!