PDA

View Full Version : Bravo, Fernando!

F1boat
28th September 2008, 15:09
What an amazing race! I am delighted that he won!

samuratt
28th September 2008, 15:19
A brilliant drive from Fernando.

As he said in spanish at the press conference: "like in the old times..."

AndyRAC
28th September 2008, 15:19

Same here, Vamos Fernando!!

Benefitted from some good team-work thanks to Nelsinho.......

ioan
28th September 2008, 15:21
Congrats Fernando! :up:
I was genuinely happy for him! :)

samuratt
28th September 2008, 15:22
Benefitted from some good team-work thanks to Nelsinho.......

That was team orders :D

ozrevhead
28th September 2008, 15:26
So happy for Nando :) he looks elated!!!

ArrowsFA1
28th September 2008, 15:27
Tremendous win for Fernando. Well deserved :up:

ShiftingGears
28th September 2008, 15:29
Absolutely brilliant. I was hoping that he would be able to win with that Renault this year, and for him to actually do so is marvellous. Well done Fernando.

Mickey T
28th September 2008, 15:30
after recent happenings, thought they might investigate him for crossing into the pit lane too late on his last stop.

glad they didn't.

he, and renault, deserved that.

Garry Walker
28th September 2008, 15:35
Tremendous win for Fernando. Well deserved :up:

Deserved? His win was a complete luck, all the guys deserving to win were robbed by the SC.

Tonieke
28th September 2008, 15:41
Deserved? His win was a complete luck, all the guys deserving to win were robbed by the SC.

you have a point..but still a deserved win...he showed at the end he could pull away from the rest so...

Garry Walker
28th September 2008, 15:44
you have a point..but still a deserved win...he showed at the end he could pull away from the rest so...

The others were stuck behind Rosberg.
Kimi, Hamilton, Massa were all faster than Alonso, but had no chance to show their pace.

ArrowsFA1
28th September 2008, 15:56
Deserved?
Yes, deserved. Sure, there was some luck involved but team and driver were faultless today while others weren't. The same goes for Rosberg, despite his unavoidable penalty.

Garry Walker
28th September 2008, 16:00
Yes, deserved. Sure, there was some luck involved but team and driver were faultless today while others weren't. The same goes for Rosberg, despite his unavoidable penalty.

Massa, Hamilton and Kimi could have been as faultless and perfect as possible, but still would have not won, because they lost their chances in the SC episode.
Had alonso had fuel for 2 more laps at the beginning, he too would have had his race ruined.
Even Alonso himself has now admitted his win was luck.

ArrowsFA1
28th September 2008, 16:07
Massa, Hamilton and Kimi could have been as faultless...
Perhaps they could. But they weren't

VkmSpouge
28th September 2008, 16:17
Excellent win by Fernando Alonso, he took advantaged of the situation beautifully to take a deserved race win.

Garry Walker
28th September 2008, 16:18
Perhaps they could. But they weren't

The only reason they weren`t was because they got screwed by idiotic rules.
Hamilton for one did not put a foot wrong the whole race.

Alonsos win - pure LUCK, nothing else.

jas123f1
28th September 2008, 16:29

Congratulations Alonso – Nice work!!
… ones more Alonso showed that he is a great driver as soon he get a chance and the car looks better than during the whole season ..

A black day for Ferrari ... but they will return soon

:)

truefan72
28th September 2008, 16:47
congrats Alonso. His strategy worked out for him and as he said in the press conference, he short fueled for the first stint which even without the SC was a really good strategy.Get the super softs out of the way and then pick off the competition.

Good for Him and Renault ( and my fantasy gp :up :)

harvick#1
28th September 2008, 16:53
Toro Rosso one race, Renault the next.

has f1 gone mad that Mac and Ferrari haven't won in the past 2 races :p :

well done to Alonso :up:

VkmSpouge
28th September 2008, 16:56

Whatever next? A Honda victory?

Nah.

jens
28th September 2008, 17:08
Bah, I don't like this result to be honest. :p : Already for the second time this season Renault has lucked into a top result and now got ahead of Toyota in the WCC standings. At least Timo managed to salvage 5 decent points, so maybe the fight isn't totally over unless Renault has too much luck in the remaining races.

harsha
28th September 2008, 17:08
who says nelsinho isn't a good team player :D

but good on Alonso... :up: great result for him

Donney
28th September 2008, 18:02
Thanks to Lady luck and a faultless race, a great win!!!! :up:

truefan72
28th September 2008, 18:26

well done to Alonso :up:

I think its a good thing to see some variety on the podium. So we've seen a BMW, Torro Rosso and Renault on the podium. At this rate, we should see a Williams or Toyota on the top step before the year is out!

Sarah
28th September 2008, 18:56
It was good to see Fernando and Flav back on the podium.

veeten
28th September 2008, 19:12
Bah, I don't like this result to be honest. :p : Already for the second time this season Renault has lucked into a top result and now got ahead of Toyota in the WCC standings. At least Timo managed to salvage 5 decent points, so maybe the fight isn't totally over unless Renault has too much luck in the remaining races.

remember that stipulation in that contract with Renault, where if they finish 4th or better in the WCC standings, he stays on?...

Look who's now fourth in the WCC standings... :p :

Hmmm... is that Flavio snickering in the background?... ;) :p

s.loeb
28th September 2008, 19:22
Bravo Fernando, you gain an excellent win.
Also we have to congratulate the whole team of Renault, which has overtaken now in the development BWM and Toyota!! My personal point of view is that the next year will be protagonists again!!

F1boat
28th September 2008, 19:32
I hope so. I wish to see Renault and Fernando competitive again. Regularly.

jso1985
28th September 2008, 21:14
7 different winners from 5 different teams :up:

one driver short to equal the 2003 season

aryan
29th September 2008, 02:07
Let's not get carried away. Unlike Vettel's win, this was a clear case of being at the right place at the right time.

Still, he did a faultless race before the SC incident, and he was faultless after the SC incident, so kudos to him.

f1rocks
29th September 2008, 03:23
I agree with Gary. Alonso lucked out big time. After his first stop he was last..He would have been lucky to finish 12th...

But credit to Alonso that he did not screw up this opportunity although Vettel's drive last race was more deserving...

Also why was Alonso not investigated for straight lining the chicane on lap 1..I think he jumper 2-3 cars and never gave position back.. Or is that penalty only for Lewis....

Ranger
29th September 2008, 03:50
I agree with Gary. Alonso lucked out big time. After his first stop he was last..He would have been lucky to finish 12th...

But credit to Alonso that he did not screw up this opportunity although Vettel's drive last race was more deserving...

Also why was Alonso not investigated for straight lining the chicane on lap 1..I think he jumper 2-3 cars and never gave position back.. Or is that penalty only for Lewis....

He gave the positions back to Rosberg, Nakajima and Webber after he overtook them through the chicane.

No one wants to see any victory courtesy of these stupid rules but I am happy that Alonso was able to do it. :up:

longisland
29th September 2008, 07:27
Congrats to Fred. It's a lucky win as he pointed out in the press conference but I still think it's a well deserved win.

F1boat
29th September 2008, 07:29
Without luck you can't achieve anything... it is part of the game.

Knock-on
29th September 2008, 13:57
Without luck you can't achieve anything... it is part of the game.

I agree.

He had a chance and took it. Well done Fred.

Firstgear
29th September 2008, 14:39
He deserved to get a break in the race after the misfortune he had in quali.

29th September 2008, 14:45
He deserved to get a break in the race after the misfortune he had in quali.

He deserved to get a break for the undeniable way in which he leads the team, never gives up and brings dimensions to the team they could only dream about last year.

Mr Raikkonen, please take note.

PolePosition_1
29th September 2008, 15:41
The others were stuck behind Rosberg.
Kimi, Hamilton, Massa were all faster than Alonso, but had no chance to show their pace.

To be fair to Alonso, he had the pace to match the leaders pace if you judging them on their early first stint which they completed on the hard tyre. He was lapping the the 1.45.7-9 range for a large part of the race, Kimi fastest lap was 1.45.599 or something. So I think he had the true pace. Albeit the SC gave him valuable track position.

555-04Q2
29th September 2008, 15:47
Lucky win for the Spaniard, but good for him :up: He won fair and square, stupid SC rules or not, he won, the others didnt, its the same for everyone.

Garry Walker
29th September 2008, 15:53
He deserved to get a break for the undeniable way in which he leads the team, never gives up and brings dimensions to the team they could only dream about last year.

Mr Raikkonen, please take note.Yeah, he doesn`t give up, but he never misses a shot against the team either. Just take a look at the many comments he has come up with in recent years.
Also funny is that you commend his attitude in not giving up (which has resulted in him having quite a few spins this year), yet when Kimi played the same game at spa, you wanted him out of Ferrari.

When Piquet got 2nd place due to luck at hockhenheim, did he too bring dimensions to the team they could only dream about last year :rotflmao:

To be fair to Alonso, he had the pace to match the leaders pace if you judging them on their early first stint which they completed on the hard tyre. He was lapping the the 1.45.7-9 range for a large part of the race, Kimi fastest lap was 1.45.599 or something. So I think he had the true pace. Albeit the SC gave him valuable track position.

The fact is that he was last before the SC came out. LAST.

29th September 2008, 16:24
Also funny is that you commend his attitude in not giving up (which has resulted in him having quite a few spins this year), yet when Kimi played the same game at spa, you wanted him out of Ferrari.

Spins have nothing to with my point. I was commenting on how he has never given up pushing the team forward or giving them direction.

Raikkonen hasn't played that game. He sits on his arse, accepts a big cheque and brings nothing to the table.

Garry Walker
29th September 2008, 16:36
Spins have nothing to with my point. I was commenting on how he has never given up pushing the team forward or giving them direction. Renault isn`t in a better position this year compared to last year. 2 very lucky podiums due to idiotic circumstances don`t mean the team or the car has been better. In fact, last year Renault quickly stopped developing their car to concentrate on this years car, but mr.6 tenths hasn`t helped with that much has he? The car is still clearly slower than those of McLaren and Ferrari and also BMW most of the time.

I also would love to know how Alonso gives a team direction, whereas Kimi doesn`t. Amuse me and explain it to me.

Raikkonen hasn't played that game. He sits on his arse, accepts a big cheque and brings nothing to the table.

You know that how? Tell me and give me some good facts about him sitting on his arse, so to speak.
Or is it going to be along the level of "if he tests a lot, it is because he is a moron and needs so much driving time and wastes test-mileage/if he doesn`t test, he is lazy and drinks vodka all the time" post you have shown before regarding him, where the only aim you have is to bash?

ioan
29th September 2008, 17:11
The fact is that he was last before the SC came out. LAST.

Was last because he did already have one pit stop.

Garry Walker
29th September 2008, 17:33
Was last because he did already have one pit stop.
so?
He was something like 80 seconds behind the leaders. He would have had big troubles getting in top 10.

jens
29th September 2008, 18:21
Talking about "team game", I don't think Räikkönen fulfilled that role at Singapore. The last thing Ferrari needed was a crash on the last laps, which cost them the WCC lead. In the interest of Ferrari and WCC standings Kimi should have secured that 5th place, but instead of this it looked like he was driving only for himself and "fought for the WDC until the end" like he promised. Well, now it's indeed The End.

samuratt
29th September 2008, 19:36
Renault isn`t in a better position this year compared to last year. 2 very lucky podiums due to idiotic circumstances don`t mean the team or the car has been better. In fact, last year Renault quickly stopped developing their car to concentrate on this years car, but mr.6 tenths hasn`t helped with that much has he? The car is still clearly slower than those of McLaren and Ferrari and also BMW most of the time.

I also would love to know how Alonso gives a team direction, whereas Kimi doesn`t. Amuse me and explain it to me.

You know that how? Tell me and give me some good facts about him sitting on his arse, so to speak.
Or is it going to be along the level of "if he tests a lot, it is because he is a moron and needs so much driving time and wastes test-mileage/if he doesn`t test, he is lazy and drinks vodka all the time" post you have shown before regarding him, where the only aim you have is to bash?

I know it maybe pointless. But, have you notice that at the begining of the year the Renault wasn't a match for the Red Bulls, and right now they maybe be even in front of BMW? ;)

Alonso set the 3rd fastest lap of the GP right after the Ferraris and in front of anyone else. He was lucky to get in front, I give you that, but the pace was right there.

F1boat
30th September 2008, 07:17
Talking about "team game", I don't think Räikkönen fulfilled that role at Singapore. The last thing Ferrari needed was a crash on the last laps, which cost them the WCC lead. In the interest of Ferrari and WCC standings Kimi should have secured that 5th place, but instead of this it looked like he was driving only for himself and "fought for the WDC until the end" like he promised. Well, now it's indeed The End.

Same like Belgium. Ferrari will lose the WCC because of him and his interviews indicate that he won't help Massa even now.

F1boat
30th September 2008, 07:18
I know it maybe pointless. But, have you notice that at the begining of the year the Renault wasn't a match for the Red Bulls, and right now they maybe be even in front of BMW? ;)

Alonso set the 3rd fastest lap of the GP right after the Ferraris and in front of anyone else. He was lucky to get in front, I give you that, but the pace was right there.

He was unlucky in qualy and lucky in the race. Without luck, you can't achieve anything on F1. So his victory is a deserved one.

ioan
30th September 2008, 08:29
Same like Belgium. Ferrari will lose the WCC because of him and his interviews indicate that he won't help Massa even now.

Massa helped him last season, so IMO he should be a gentleman and return the favor.
If he doesn't than he better leave cause I doubt that he will be more wanted by Ferrari than Alonso was last season by McLaren.

Still I think he will do it.

janneppi
30th September 2008, 08:43
there was an interesting quote in Turun Sanomat from Kimi's manager about the SC pit stop and why he pitted right behind Massa.

Vaikka bensiiniä olisi ollut, ei olisi ollut järkeä jäädä kiertämään rataa. Kimin tarkoitus oli muutenkin seurata Felipe Massaa ja toimia sen mukaan
Rought translation:
Even if we would have the fuel to continue, it would not have made sense to stay on the track. Kimi's plan in any case was to follow Massa and act accordingly
That last part sounds like Kimi was already playing the number 2 role.

ShiftingGears
30th September 2008, 08:43
Massa helped him last season, so IMO he should be a gentleman and return the favor.
If he doesn't than he better leave cause I doubt that he will be more wanted by Ferrari than Alonso was last season by McLaren.

Still I think he will do it.

He'll do it, I have no doubt about it.

F1boat
30th September 2008, 10:00
Weird. In some Q&A I read after the race he said that victories remain his first priority.

Ranger
30th September 2008, 10:10

Likewise, if McLaren lose will it be because of Heikki?

It's a bit short sighted to blame a WCC loss on the performance of the lowest-scoring driver.

Especially in Ferrari's case.

F1boat
30th September 2008, 10:43
Mallen, there is nothing similar with the cases of Heikki and Kimi. Kovalainen is simply slow, but he is doing what he can. In Italy, he was unable to beat Vettel, but scored 8 points. In Hungary he waited his chance and got the victory. He was bad and Belgium, but Kimi lost 8 points with a banzai move and another 4 yesterday and I believe that this was because he couldn't accept that Glock was in front of him.
Kimi is a big problem because he thinks firts for himself and second for the team, highlighted by his idiotic comment after Spa, that second wasn't good enough. For him maybe not, but for the team the points would have been very important. So that's why in my opinion he is a very big problem for Ferrari, worse than Kovalainen is for McLaren.

ioan
30th September 2008, 12:05
Likewise, if McLaren lose will it be because of Heikki?

It's a bit short sighted to blame a WCC loss on the performance of the lowest-scoring driver.

Especially in Ferrari's case.

:?: Why is it shortsighted? Especially in Ferrari's case where the champ is performing the way he is performing?

Ranger
30th September 2008, 12:44
:?: Why is it shortsighted? Especially in Ferrari's case where the champ is performing the way he is performing?

Because the car is less reliable than the McLaren, often slower than the McLaren and the pit crew are looking like a joke at the moment. All much bigger issues than the drivers. Considering how much you have championed these issues lately I would've expected you to agree.

And here I will demonstrate such Ferrari issues that McLaren have not faced:

In Australia they lost a handful of points because both cars expired. (-5pts.)
In Montreal they forgot to fuel Massa's car at the first stop. (-2pts)
In Silverstone the car was clearly a dog in the wet (-up to 10 points)
In Monza the car was a dog in the wet. (- up to 10 points)
In Budapest, Massa's car expired. (-10 points)
In Valencia, Raikkonen's car expired. (-5 points)
In Singapore, Massa's pit box lied (-up to 10 points).

That's to say, Ferrari have lost approximately 50 points due to car and team issues alone.

Raikkonen lost 14 points due to accidents in Spa and Singapore, Massa lost 10 in Sepang.
This does not include the Canada pitlane, nor the several times where they have been undone by the SC, such as in Singapore.

Hence, Ferrari's own faults are to blame much more than any of the drivers', as proved by these statistics.

ioan
30th September 2008, 13:00
Because the car is less reliable than the McLaren, often slower than the McLaren and the pit crew are looking like a joke at the moment. All much bigger issues than the drivers. Considering how much you have championed these issues lately I would've expected you to agree.

Still the other driver uses the same car, the same pit crew, had a lot of technical problems too but is 20 points clear of the champion. Something doesn't add up here.

I agree that the team made more mistakes than the drivers and that the drivers are still the top performers in the Ferrari camp.

Ranger
30th September 2008, 13:11
Still the other driver uses the same car, the same pit crew, had a lot of technical problems too but is 20 points clear of the champion. Something doesn't add up here.

I agree that the team made more mistakes than the drivers and that the drivers are still the top performers in the Ferrari camp.

Kimi has underperformed. I am not denying that.

What I disagree with is F1boat's statement that Ferrari will lose the WCC because of Kimi, when their own mistakes are clearly much more detrimental to their points tally than he is, as I have just shown.

ioan
30th September 2008, 13:28

What I disagree with is F1boat's statement that Ferrari will lose the WCC because of Kimi, when their own mistakes are clearly much more detrimental to their points tally than he is, as I have just shown.

I agree that the team's mistakes cost them more points than the driver's lack of pace or mistakes.

jens
30th September 2008, 13:41
In Silverstone the car was clearly a dog in the wet (-up to 10 points)
In Monza the car was a dog in the wet. (- up to 10 points)

In the same way it can be said that if Force India had the best car, they would be leading the WCC. Or if McLaren was better in hot conditions, they would be dominating this year's WCC. You expect Ferrari would have got 15 points at Silverstone in different conditions? :p :

30th September 2008, 16:03

Kimi is the World Champion but has not driven like one since Spain, whilst hhis lower-paid team-mate has won four times since Kimi's last win.

Fernando has brought Renault back into the winners circle and the Renault has gone from the 6th fastest car to be a solid 4th in the constructors championship.

From that, it's pretty obvious who gives a team direction and who does not.

FastRed
30th September 2008, 16:11
Was a quality race and Alonso drove well. 15th and 1st!!! happy with a 3rd for Lewis also

Knock-on
30th September 2008, 17:04
Kimi is the World Champion but has not driven like one since Spain, whilst hhis lower-paid team-mate has won four times since Kimi's last win.

Fernando has brought Renault back into the winners circle and the Renault has gone from the 6th fastest car to be a solid 4th in the constructors championship.

From that, it's pretty obvious who gives a team direction and who does not.

I sort of agree with you but I don't think it's team direction as the Schumacher, Brawn team did.

During that era, everyone at Ferrari was pulling in the same direction and Schumy got all his people behind him.

With Alonso, the team respect his drive and ability. Nobody can doubt that when he gets in a car, he gives it his all and will "do or die".

But he bitches, moanes, whines, threatens to leave and generally doesn't really galvanise the troops to get behind him. More a case of working their asses off so they don't lose his talent rather than anything else. I respectand admire his ability but as a person....

Kimi though is just Kimi. A lovely chap but is one of those most annoying of people that just seems to get success without really doing much. He's the sort of w4nker that will pick up a golf club for the first time and hit a 300 yard drive with a touch of draw. I bet he can do 50 "keepy-uppys" the 2nd time of trying. I really like the bloke but he just seems to be going through the motions. It's frustrating that he'll be floating around in 5th or 6th and then decide to blow the fastest laps for 5 mins and then revert to tootleing around the track again.

If you could combine the best qualities of both, you would have the new Schumacher, or as I like to call him; Lewis.

:D

samuratt
30th September 2008, 17:25

Isn't Ferrari responsible for delivering a fast car to Kimi and Massa? I mean Sutil will change his car and pit crew for Ferrari's every day, no matter what happens at the pitstops or a problem with reliability he will still have a chance to win a race. Sure Ferrari pit crew have failed the drivers sometimes at the pitstops, but the engineers have done a great work with the car, and in my honest opinion, Kimi hasn't done half of the good work his engineers have done. That is the problem, and that is the reason they are behind in the WCC race.

Please compare Alonso's to Kimi's total points and you will get a conclusion. And if you are really taking the time to do so, look who has got more points out of the last 5 races, it will really surprise you. ;)

ioan
30th September 2008, 18:41
Please compare Alonso's to Kimi's total points and you will get a conclusion. And if you are really taking the time to do so, look who has got more points out of the last 5 races, it will really surprise you. ;)

Hamilton, he got 26 points/last 5 races. What's so surprising? :p :

jens
30th September 2008, 20:19
The last five races... and results are quite surprising, TBH.
1 Hamilton - 26
2 Alonso - 25 :up:
3 Massa - 23
4 Kovalainen - 23
5 Vettel - 21 :up:
6 Kubica - 16
7 Heidfeld - 15

Quite amazing points situation - imagine if the standings would look like that after first 5 races. :p : Then it would be said Alonso and Vettel are doing miracles in participating in the title fight in average cars. ;)

Garry Walker
30th September 2008, 23:23
RedBull (especially, they are even behind STR) and BMW have lost pace, whereas Renault has shown already from the start of the season (spain) that they have pace at rare times. Since spain, they have not improved at all. The real question is, if Alonso is that great and awesome and how he was supposed to have made Mclaren so great last year within a few weeks, why was Renault not a top 3 car at the beginning of the season? Nor has it improved from last year.

There were clearly faster cars around.

While it is true that kimi has struggled a lot due to his qualifying problem, it is also true that he has lost 2/3 wins since then due to bad luck and car problems.

hahaha. Renault and the 6th best car? When did that happen? Alternative reality?
if Alonso was such a great developer and team leader, why is Renault worse off this year than it was last year?
The only reason Alonso won was due to an idiotic amount of luck, almost like piquet did, except piquet was not that lucky.
Nothing to do with great leadership, be serious.

From that, it's pretty obvious who gives a team direction and who does not.Consering you are on idiotickimibash mode for a while now, no, it isn`t. In fact, it seems kimi is doing a better job in the leadership stakes, because at least his team is winning fair and square, without luck. That can`t be said about MegaAlonso.

Kimi though is just Kimi. A lovely chap but is one of those most annoying of people that just seems to get success without really doing much. He's the sort of w4nker that will pick up a golf club for the first time and hit a 300 yard drive with a touch of draw. I bet he can do 50 "keepy-uppys" the 2nd time of trying. I really like the bloke but he just seems to be going through the motions. It's frustrating that he'll be floating around in 5th or 6th and then decide to blow the fastest laps for 5 mins and then revert to tootleing around the track again.
You have, in my view, very wrong understanding of kimis problems. He doesn`t "float" around, he has big problems warming up the tyres. Look at last race - the first few laps he was nowhere, but steadily kept getting better till suddenly his tyres all warmed up, he was the fastest man on track.
He has also shown in almost all races that whenever there is free track, he is very fast. But that happens rarely because he struggles so much in qualifying, which he and Ferrari still haven`t managed to work out.

I also think that peoples perception as him as a lazy person is quite wrong.

ShiftingGears
30th September 2008, 23:37
You expect Ferrari would have got 15 points at Silverstone in different conditions? :p :

I'm not sure about Massa, but Kimi could've won Silverstone if it was dry. If if if.

aryan
1st October 2008, 02:36
The last five races... and results are quite surprising, TBH.
1 Hamilton - 26
2 Alonso - 25 :up:
3 Massa - 23
4 Kovalainen - 23
5 Vettel - 21 :up:
6 Kubica - 16
7 Heidfeld - 15

Wow.

I'm no fan of Alonso, by any stretch of the word, but surely, if Renault had 2 drivers instead of just one, they would be far closer to BMW than they currently are.

F1boat
1st October 2008, 07:41
Yes, when the points speak,maybe even the gods like Gary should remain if not silent, but maybe more respectful...

1st October 2008, 12:46
Consering you are on idiotickimibash mode for a while now, no, it isn`t. In fact, it seems kimi is doing a better job in the leadership stakes, because at least his team is winning fair and square, without luck. That can`t be said about MegaAlonso.

Really?

Ross Brawn doesn't agree with you.

"If you look at those three drivers for a team in our position, where we have a strong rebuilding process going on, then we need a driver with strong development capacity, experience and absolute speed. For me, Fernando has all of those things.
So that's why I think he's the best driver in Formula One, because he has a combination of those things.
Lewis is clearly very quick, a super guy but doesn't have the experience yet. ]Kimi doesn't have the reputation of being a person who can develop a car strongly but is very quick."

Of course, the bloke who was still closely linked to Ferrari in Kimi's first season may not have as much knowledge as you.....

...but I doubt that.

samuratt
1st October 2008, 12:58
There were clearly faster cars around.

Apart from the Ferraris... Who?? Go an check the fastest laps of the race you wil be surprised and corrected by the facts. As usual ;)

Garry Walker
1st October 2008, 13:26
Yes, when the points speak,maybe even the gods like Gary should remain if not silent, but maybe more respectful...

Heh, freedom of speech and all that.

Really?

Ross Brawn doesn't agree with you.

"If you look at those three drivers for a team in our position, where we have a strong rebuilding process going on, then we need a driver with strong development capacity, experience and absolute speed. For me, Fernando has all of those things.
So that's why I think he's the best driver in Formula One, because he has a combination of those things.
Lewis is clearly very quick, a super guy but doesn't have the experience yet. ]Kimi doesn't have the reputation of being a person who can develop a car strongly but is very quick."

Of course, the bloke who was still closely linked to Ferrari in Kimi's first season may not have as much knowledge as you.....

...but I doubt that.

Yeah, we all know the "reputation." Just like Schumacher was arrogant and Felipe can barley drive. Shame that reputation is not always the truth.
Both McLaren and Ferrari engineers have said Kimis feedback is very good. Ferrari lets him test a lot. Heck, they even gave him a contract extension. Seems enough for me.

Ross Brawn had special interests in mind when praising Alonso. Something about wanting him at honda to replace the failures he has there now.

Going by your logic, Kimi is doing a better job than Alonso in leadership and development, because Ferrari is the much faster car at the moment.

Also, you didn`t respond to my question. When was Renault the 6th fastest car this year.

Apart from the Ferraris... Who?? Go an check the fastest laps of the race you wil be surprised and corrected by the facts. As usual ;)

Kubica and Hamilton were stuck behind someone during the race for most of the time and couldn`t show their true pace for several reasons.

jens
1st October 2008, 13:33
Talking about Renault's competitiveness, I think that Singapore circuit with its bumpy road seriously suited them. I guess at Fuji with its long straight, where engine power counts, Renault will be fighting for minor points again (talking about dry conditions, of course).

ioan
1st October 2008, 14:00
Heh, freedom of speech and all that.

Yeah, we all know the "reputation." Just like Schumacher was arrogant and Felipe can barley drive. Shame that reputation is not always the truth.
Both McLaren and Ferrari engineers have said Kimis feedback is very good. Ferrari lets him test a lot. Heck, they even gave him a contract extension. Seems enough for me.

Ross Brawn had special interests in mind when praising Alonso. Something about wanting him at honda to replace the failures he has there now.

Going by your logic, Kimi is doing a better job than Alonso in leadership and development, because Ferrari is the much faster car at the moment.

Also, you didn`t respond to my question. When was Renault the 6th fastest car this year.

Kubica and Hamilton were stuck behind someone during the race for most of the time and couldn`t show their true pace for several reasons.

Give it a brake Garry, you are dead wrong. Your hate is blinding you so much that you can't even see the facts that you normally base your opinion on when you praise Kimi.

1st October 2008, 14:01

Actually your'e right....they weren't 6th fastest.

They were the 9th quickest car.

Australia.

First race of the year.

Qualifying results for Australian Grand Prix:

1. Lewis Hamilton Britain McLaren-Mercedes 01:26.714

2. Robert Kubica Poland BMW Sauber 01:26.869

3. Heikki Kovalainen Finland McLaren-Mercedes 01:27.079

4. Felipe Massa Brazil Ferrari-Ferrari 01:27.178

5. Nick Heidfeld Germany BMW Sauber 01:27.236

6. Jarno Trulli Italy Toyota-Toyota 01:28.527

7. Nico Rosberg Germany Williams-Toyota 01:28.687

8. David Coulthard Britain Red Bull-Renault 01:29.041

9. Sebastian Vettel Germany Toro Rosso-Ferrari no time Q3

10. Rubens Barrichello Brazil Honda-Honda 01:26.173

11. Fernando Alonso Spain Renault-Renault 01:26.188

Mclaren, BMW, Ferrari, Toyota & Williams in the top 7, Renault behind Red Bull, Toro Rosso & Honda.

Do you want to talk anymore facts?

ShiftingGears
2nd October 2008, 03:04
Give it a brake Garry, you are dead wrong. Your hate is blinding you so much that you can't even see the facts that you normally base your opinion on when you praise Kimi.

I don't see anything wrong with the post you quoted.

Ross Brawn may have been truthful in his assessment of Kimi and Fernando. Just because he said it, doesn't mean he is.

He had an agenda when he said that. When you have an agenda you say what people want to hear.

In short, I wouldn't consider what Brawn said as concrete evidence for a point of view.

samuratt
2nd October 2008, 17:13
I don't see anything wrong with the post you quoted.

Ross Brawn may have been truthful in his assessment of Kimi and Fernando. Just because he said it, doesn't mean he is.

He had an agenda when he said that. When you have an agenda you say what people want to hear.

In short, I wouldn't consider what Brawn said as concrete evidence for a point of view.

By this reasoning we shouldn't believe anyone!!!! :D ;)

jens
2nd October 2008, 21:44
Ross Brawn has his own interests in praising Alonso, because the Spaniard is the target, who he wants to hire into his team. ;) And if this is the goal, you aint say some other guy, who isn't at the market, is better. :p :

gravity
2nd October 2008, 22:41
NOPE! I don't believe you!

samuratt
3rd October 2008, 08:30
NOPE! I don't believe you!

That's the best you can do! :D

Knock-on
3rd October 2008, 10:52

It is an opinion, not a fact.

He obviously has an agenda in F1 which I suggest may affect what his opinion is this week ;)