PDA

View Full Version : Stupidity at it's best

ioan
27th September 2008, 19:24
So Heidfeld gets a penalty because he dared to slow down when entering the pit entry lane! :rolleyes:

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=36093

And this after they did squat to modify the pit entry and exit lanes following the drivers requests.

And if they decided that he impeded RB why only 3 places penalty and not 5 as usual?

Robinho
27th September 2008, 19:30
aah, yes, the stewards, their great decisions and the consistency of the rules!

i can't see that Heidfield did anything wrong, presumabley he was supposed to spot Rubens a couple of seconds behind, pulled over and then atempted to take the (rather dangerous) pit entry - this was inevitable that someone would be caught out when the racing line crosses the pit entry (like Brazil used to do) - to penalise by only 3 places instead of 5 indicates to me they didn;t consider it all Nicks fault, in which case that ought to be enough doubt that he shouldn't be penalised at all

pettersolberg29
27th September 2008, 19:30
This is an absolute disgrace. What did he do wrong? Ruined my weekend as I was hoping for a good result for him. Oh well...

ioan
27th September 2008, 19:34

i can't see that Heidfield did anything wrong, presumabley he was supposed to spot Rubens a couple of seconds behind, pulled over and then atempted to take the (rather dangerous) pit entry - this was inevitable that someone would be caught out when the racing line crosses the pit entry (like Brazil used to do) - to penalise by only 3 places instead of 5 indicates to me they didn;t consider it all Nicks fault, in which case that ought to be enough doubt that he shouldn't be penalised at all

On top of that they fined Rubens (although I think that his action was more of a transgression than that of Nick).

ArrowsFA1
27th September 2008, 19:36

:up:

Max said (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70547): "...you have to think how hard so many people are working to get a result in F1 - not just the driver but 800 or so people back at the factory, in most cases. You feel you owe it to those people to make sure the result is fair..."

What was fair about Heidfeld's penalty :confused:

ioan
27th September 2008, 19:50
:up:

Max said (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70547): "...you have to think how hard so many people are working to get a result in F1 - not just the driver but 800 or so people back at the factory, in most cases. You feel you owe it to those people to make sure the result is fair..."

What was fair about Heidfeld's penalty :confused:

Maybe Nick will be happy to get the newest of them penalties! Specially tailored for him!(no pun intended) :laugh:

pettersolberg29
27th September 2008, 20:03
What's annoying me is that if this happened to Hamilton then people would literally be killing themselves over this decision. Is there any chance of an appeal? Rain? Anything to get Nick back in the top 5 where he belongs!

Robinho
27th September 2008, 20:51
yes, i'm sure the appeal court will be ready to hear an appeal in about a month, not sure that will do much for Nick this weekend though

markabilly
27th September 2008, 21:38
What's annoying me is that if this happened to Hamilton then people would literally be killing themselves over this decision. Is there any chance of an appeal? Rain? Anything to get Nick back in the top 5 where he belongs!

yes, i'm sure the appeal court will be ready to hear an appeal in about a month, not sure that will do much for Nick this weekend though

More work for lawyers. Amen!!!

:beer:

So far the rules provide for removing points or adding time to drop a driver down. So how do you restore that after the engines done gone cold????

Wait, we need to be not only be able to add seconds to a driver, but to take them away.

Okay with Nicky, his lawyers win about a month later (AND they should win from my point of view, but what do I know??, I thought LH should not have been penalized either, esp. cause of the rain, so....) anyway they win so they should do what? How about subtracting about 25 seconds from his overall race time......so now he is five seconds in front of whoever won or whatever....
or in the proper case, add some points. The lattter has a real advantage because a driver can always complain that he was robbed when points were taken from him, but if points are added to another driver, then how can he complain? So he gets about four points or so.....

Indeed upon further reflection, clearly the illegal and unlawful pass of LH on poor Kimi caused kimi to have all sorts of problems that eventually caused him to wreck out at Spa. So clearly the only fair justice under the FIA jurisprudence would be to take use the time he crashed out as his total race time, and declare him the winner by at least several minutes!!! or give him 8 points towards the WDC.

Or atleast give him second place in front of Lewis, thereby restoring to him the advantage gained by Lewis. :bandit:

Justice for all and mercy for none, except for those who have the best lawyer on paid retainer. And without the added drama of real courtroom action that overshadows any of the on the track action, people might stop paying attention to F1....

Amen.

Valve Bounce
27th September 2008, 23:01
So Heidfeld gets a penalty because he dared to slow down when entering the pit entry lane! :rolleyes:

And this after they did squat to modify the pit entry and exit lanes following the drivers requests.

And if they decided that he impeded RB why only 3 places penalty and not 5 as usual?

ioan, you should never, ever post a thread with such a title. :p :

ShiftingGears
27th September 2008, 23:11
What a disgrace. If the designers actually did their job properly and made a pit entry/exit that was decent then it wouldn't be a problem.

I have never seen a worse pit lane entry in any circuit, ever.

ioan
27th September 2008, 23:20
ioan, you should never, ever post a thread with such a title. :p :

I know, I know, but it was to late when I realized the irony of it. :)

aryan
27th September 2008, 23:53
I'm seriously beginning to lose interest in formula 1 due to this arbitrary enforcement of rules.

If he was at fault, he should have been given the usual 5 grid place penalty. If not, then no penalty. The concept of "half-guilty" does not exist in my book :rolleyes:

Ranger
28th September 2008, 00:19

Serves him right! what sort of idiot would ever do that??

Just kidding. This penalty is the epitome of stupid.

Barrichello was also penalised $10000 for not using the 'deceleration zone' despite being held up.

So it turns out that they are both somehow in the wrong because of stupid rules. Incredible.

christophulus
28th September 2008, 00:28
I'm just waiting for something like this to happen in the race - it's inevitable.

Unfortunately there seems to be little they can do about it at such short notice, the entry lane to the pits could surely be moved back to before the final corner for next year?

truefan72
28th September 2008, 00:32

this is utter nonsense by the stewards. They won;t fix the pit entry which trhe drivers complained about then they go ahead and penalize the driver for doing nothing wrong. What is happening to F1, when you get penalized for appropriately slowing down to enter the pits. RB had enough track room to keep driving. This is madness

This is an absolute disgrace. What did he do wrong? :up: I would love to know, and read the exact explanation of the stewards. I think these clowns should be made to face the press and explain their actions after each session if they penalize a driver.

On top of that they fined Rubens (although I think that his action was more of a transgression than that of Nick).

ah for cutting unto the pit entrance. I wonder if RB complained to the stewards fitrst and if so, I wonder for what and how his argument went.

"...That guy was going into the pits and he destroyed my lap"
whaaaat? traffic is traffic

truefan72
28th September 2008, 00:34

what are you talking about, from the sound of everyone here , we are all appalled, Ferrari and Mclaren, Massa and LH fans alike. So what is annoying you?

Azumanga Davo
28th September 2008, 05:52
Truck racing, rallying.

Do I put Formula 1 on the list of sports the FIA has manage to eff up rather nicely now or hope that things get a bit more clever*?

*: That might be a long wait...

Dave B
28th September 2008, 09:04
Harsh penalty consider Heidfeld was only doing exactly what most of the drivers warned would happen. His only alternative once he'd noticed Barrichello would have been to brake later - and enter the pitlane over the speed limit. He was stuffed either way and is now paying the price for a poor bit of track design.

Garry Walker
28th September 2008, 15:32
So what should Heidfeld have done? Go full speed into the pitlane?
The blame lies on the guy who designed this track

Nikki Katz
28th September 2008, 15:52
This incident was directly the result of the circuit planning and not Heidfeld's fault at all. Also, is a 3 place grid penalty a new one?

VkmSpouge
28th September 2008, 16:19
I have to admit that was another daft decision, there was no way Heidfeld could have avoided a penalty.