PDA

View Full Version : Japan night race in 2009?

Ranger
27th September 2008, 12:51
Bernie has publicly stated that he wants a night race in Japan next year.

Whilst it would look interesting, how is it possible to tool an existing racetrack (which was built in 1962) with 3 million watts of lighting? (that's including the straight lined with trees...)

I would ask "why bother?" but the answer is inevitable, despite the fact that fans will want Suzuka on the calendar as it is!

ioan
27th September 2008, 13:02
Screw Bernie.

MrJan
27th September 2008, 14:16
Eventually we will see more and more night races just to satisfy the European audience. As it is I'm just about to sit down to have lunch and watch qualy instead of having heard about when I got up and watched the re-run knowing what was going on.

ArrowsFA1
27th September 2008, 14:52
Well I'm one European TV viewer who would prefer to see races at a time that matches the race location not mine. This is the world championship after all with all the variety, and timezones, that brings.

cosmicpanda
27th September 2008, 15:48
Somewhat ironic is the fact that the WRC which traditionally has included competition at night have as of late been run primarily during the day.

Rally Argentina and New Zealand could include night stages to suit the European audience, but they don't. This is, of course, partly because the WRC coverage is much worse than the F1 coverage.

ioan
27th September 2008, 16:46
Eventually we will see more and more night races just to satisfy the European audience. As it is I'm just about to sit down to have lunch and watch qualy instead of having heard about when I got up and watched the re-run knowing what was going on.

You mean that you don't wake up to watch f1 live when it's early? :down:

truefan72
28th September 2008, 00:40
hope they leave Japan alone. 1 night race is a good novelty, lets leave it at that please. Berneie is getting a little wacky now with his ideas. He lucked out with Singapore and now wants to change other races around as if they were pawns to his delusions.Thankfully, Japan has enough clout to dictate their own terms to a degree.

call_me_andrew
28th September 2008, 03:12
I've come to believe that any track can support a lighting system.

71minus2
28th September 2008, 09:28
i love night racing but prefer twilight into night so the tracks really change in their characteristics as it cools.

F1 should adapt and introduce more night races not for the European audience, although the timings do favour us, but for the spectacle. How about Monaco at night?

Hawkmoon
28th September 2008, 12:11
I'm over the night race thing already. One qualy session was enough for the novelty to wear off.

I'll add another "screw Bernie" to ioan's. Stupid little twat.

AndyRAC
28th September 2008, 14:23
I'm over the night race thing already. One qualy session was enough for the novelty to wear off.

I'll add another "screw Bernie" to ioan's. Stupid little twat.

Same here. One is enough. I quite enjoy stating up/getting up early to watch an Asian race.

MrJan
28th September 2008, 14:27
You mean that you don't wake up to watch f1 live when it's early? :down:

Most F1 races are barely worth watching at a reasonable time. There's no way that I'm going to get up at 6 in the morning after a Saturday night on the town to watch some processional bull **** that I could just watch again at lunch time.

I don't really care either way, I'm neither pro nor anti night race but I think that you all need to accept that there will be more no matter how much you complain.

truefan72
28th September 2008, 17:18
i love night racing but prefer twilight into night so the tracks really change in their characteristics as it cools.

F1 should adapt and introduce more night races not for the European audience, although the timings do favour us, but for the spectacle. How about Monaco at night?

I actually don't need varying conditions or other non-race related factors to enjoy my racing. I don't like the 2 tyre rule, 2 race engine rule, fuel declarations in p3 etc. Just let them go out there and develop their own strategy. I don't think any of these measures really promote better racing or qualifying.

1 night race per year is enough. any more will ruin the special place singapowe now holds on the calendar.

N. Jones
28th September 2008, 17:45
I second the "Screw Bernie" sentiment. A Japanese GP night race? Does he not remember that the Mt. Fuji track is located in a valley and subject to torrential rainfall? What if the heavens open up during a night race, are we going to witness the first F1 GP completely driven under the safety car?

jens
28th September 2008, 18:19
Suzuka is a classical circuit and should be raced in classical conditions - during day-time.

About night races. It may be good to have one or two of them, but not more. If we have too many night races, they won't create a 'special' atmosphere any more and won't be that special.

Brown, Jon Brow
28th September 2008, 18:25
I'd like to see night races in Europe. It would make for good Sunday night TV instead of Heartbeat.

F1boat
28th September 2008, 19:42
Suzuka is a classical circuit and should be raced in classical conditions - during day-time.

About night races. It may be good to have one or two of them, but not more. If we have too many night races, they won't create a 'special' atmosphere any more and won't be that special.

That's right! 2 or 3, no more.

Daika
28th September 2008, 20:24
Night races is a gimmick to attract more viewers, ofcourse a night race isn't really "night" but rather bright. We need a good track, wheter they dicide to race day or night on it is another matter. The starting point shouldn't be night but wheter that track can provide racing and not gimmicks like night, safety cars etc.

call_me_andrew
28th September 2008, 22:33
How about Monaco at night?

I have considered that, but Monaco looks too nice in the daytime. Plus it creates a direct conflict with the Indy 500.

wedge
29th September 2008, 00:52
Night races in F1 should be for street circuits, IMO. It's great for Asian cities because of the beautiful Blade Runner-esque skyline - Seoul, Tokyo, Osaka, Hong Kong. Come to think of it I'd always wished some millionaire entrepreneur by up the old airport land in HK and turn that into a race track.

Oval racing is different, its a natural amphitheatre.

ShiftingGears
29th September 2008, 00:59
Same here. One is enough. I quite enjoy stating up/getting up early to watch an Asian race.

That's good, because I'm jack of staying up for 10:00 race starts local time because Bernie thinks that a world championship races must cater for an ideal European timezone.

I can't imagine many people attending his funeral when he kicks the bucket.

aryan
29th September 2008, 01:28

But they're not at Suzuka anymore, they're at Fuji.

ShiftingGears
29th September 2008, 01:33
But they're not at Suzuka anymore, they're at Fuji.

Next year they're at Suzuka.

Then in 2010 its Fuji...it alternates.

I hope they haven't littered Suzuka with tarmac runoff.

markabilly
29th September 2008, 07:39
Let us see, we have the KERS system to save energy, then we have night races to burn many lightbulbs to be able to see it, instead of using free sunshine.

makes perfect sense to me....

V12
29th September 2008, 11:59
I hope the either go the whole hog and do a night race, or, and this would be my preferred option, run the race at the normal time (local time of course) and let people in Europe have a late one on Saturday night.

Of course the worst thing they could do is do what they did in Australia this year, pushing it forward a couple hours so it was on at the worst possible time in Europe (like 6 in the morning or something stupid), I tried staying up for it but fell asleep and missed it :(

PolePosition_1
29th September 2008, 12:06
Let us see, we have the KERS system to save energy, then we have night races to burn many lightbulbs to be able to see it, instead of using free sunshine.

makes perfect sense to me....

I understand that F1 is carbon free and has been for many years now?