PDA

View Full Version : A movie I'd like you to see..

#6CupFan
6th December 2006, 19:17
Hi everyone,

This is off Nascar topic, but this is where I hang out, so this was where I put it. I understand if it needs to be moved :(

I'd like to quickly tell you about an upcoming movie close to my heart..."We Are Marshall." Stars Matthew McConaughey and Matthew Fox.

You may have heard of Marshall University, we have a few notables...
* Randy Moss, wide receiver, Oakland Raiders
* Chad Pennington, quarterback, New York Jets
* Byron Leftwich, quarterback, Jacksonville Jaguars
* Mike D'Antoni, head coach, Phoenix Suns
* Troy Brown, wide receiver, New England Patriots
* Chris Crocker, defensive back, Atlanta Falcons
* Mike Bartrum, long snapper/tight end, Philadelphia Eagles
* Chris Hanson, punter, Jacksonville Jaguars
* Chris Massey, long snapper/fullback, St. Louis Rams
* John Wade, offensive lineman, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
* Rick Reed, former big-league starting pitcher, who made his name as a replacement player during the 1994 Major League Baseball players' strike
* Darius Watts, former NFL wide receiver, Denver Broncos

On November 14th, 1970, the Marshall University football team, football coaches, athletic staff, key alumni, and friends were flying home to Huntington, West Virginia after an away game against East Carolina. Their plane crashed on approach to Tri-state Airport, killing all seventy five (75) aboard. (The plane came in too low due to weather conditions, and hit the side of the mountain the airport rests on top of)

The movie follows the rebuilding of the program.

http://wearemarshall-themovie.warnerbros.com/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758794/

I was born in Huntington, WV, grew up just outside of town, attended MU and now I live only 25 miles away. Most of my family attended MU, still live close, and we are all huge Marshall fans. My father was on the scene of the crash in 1970, as he worked for Peidmont airlines at the time. My mother remembers how bad my dad looked when he finally arrived home, a day later from the crash scene. This crash affected everyone in this area very deeply, if you didn't know someone on the plane personally, you knew of them.

You don't have to be a football or sports fan to appreciate the movie. It's really not about that. It's about heart.

That heart is evident everytime we attend a home football game (and sometimes away games!), and we chant from one side of the stadium to the other..."We are......Marshall!!!" This is a long-time tradition at our stadium, and where the film title derived from.

So, I hope you'll go see the movie when it opens in your town, December 22nd, and tell your friends and family. The premiere is here in Huntington on Tuesday. Everyone is very excited.

McConaughey will be on Oprah today talking about the movie.

Thanks for reading everyone :D

harvick#1
6th December 2006, 19:22
you know the very scary thing is that the Marshall plane had trouble on the same day of the crash, even scarier is that they were coming back after playing Eastern Carolina University.

no one was injured and the plane landed safely

#6CupFan
6th December 2006, 19:34
you know the very scary thing is that the Marshall plane had trouble on the same day of the crash, even scarier is that they were coming back after playing Eastern Carolina University.

no one was injured and the plane landed safely

If you are talking about this year's game vs ECU...

It was VERY creepy...the players and coach Snyder played it off as if they weren't concerned...I doubt I would have gotten back on ;)

It was actually before taking off for the trip Nov. 10 at Tri-State Airport. The smoke was caused by extra fuel burning off one of the engines.

Sparky1329
6th December 2006, 21:36
More power to them, Beth. I don't think I would've. I think Matt McConaughey is a talented actor so I'm sure he'll do justice to his role. I'll have to check out this movie.

oldhippie
7th December 2006, 15:37
it is disgusting that movie makers make money off tragedys

#6CupFan
7th December 2006, 17:22

I'm not really sure how to take that oldhippie, but I will tell you that the makers of this movie came to Huntington and basically ASKED PERMISSION to make this movie. They showed the scripts to the families of those who perished on the flight, and then showed them the movie well before it was completely finished, to make sure it was acceptable.

Last night several theaters held exclusive showings of the film, and all of the comments have been positive. The movie has been well made and is VERY RESPECTFUL of the tragedy.

I also thought that McConaughey did an excellent job on Oprah yesterday, he had the crowd chanting We are Marshall....it was awesome.

So, yes they will make money, and I hope they make lots of it. That means that a whole bunch of people went to theaters and saw our story, and I hope they love it. :)

Sparky1329
7th December 2006, 18:47

I see it as honoring the memories of those athletes. There is a difference you know.

oldhippie
8th December 2006, 05:38
i told stan i shouldnt talk in here

honoring lost players is fine and doing a documentary is good only if it is accurate
too many times hollywood adds to the story and then it becomes fiction not fact
i wasnt putting down the movie
i dont have any faith in hollywood to accurately tell a true story
i want the facts not what some hollywood writer makes up

peace out

harvick#1
8th December 2006, 05:47
it is pretty sad when Hollywood directors make millions off of a tradegy.

but it has been happening for alot of years now. the 9/11 movies out now, the war movies. even making the Earnhardt movies, although "3" was pretty good and the actor who played Dale asked for the crash not be showed in the movie and they didn't, which was very polite.

#6CupFan
8th December 2006, 16:22
I guess I'd hoped that by explaining that it IS accurate and was done correctly with not all of the hollywood glitz added, and that the actual folks affected by the event approved, that it would be seen as a great film honoring a great tradegy, and that it would encourage everyone to see it.

So, I hope you will give it a chance :)

Rusty Spanner
8th December 2006, 17:10

They don't if people don't go.

tstran17_88
9th December 2006, 06:19
i told stan i shouldnt talk in here

honoring lost players is fine and doing a documentary is good only if it is accurate
too many times hollywood adds to the story and then it becomes fiction not fact
i wasnt putting down the movie
i dont have any faith in hollywood to accurately tell a true story
i want the facts not what some hollywood writer makes up

peace out

Sometimes a story just needs to be told to the public just because the public doesn't understand. I know where your coming from as I hate all the Hollywood tree huggers too, but some of the best movies I ever saw were movies like "Miracle" with Kurt Russell and "Running Brave" with Robby Benson...true stories told very well IMO.

Jag_Warrior
10th December 2006, 17:41
I guess I'd hoped that by explaining that it IS accurate and was done correctly with not all of the hollywood glitz added, and that the actual folks affected by the event approved, that it would be seen as a great film honoring a great tradegy, and that it would encourage everyone to see it.

So, I hope you will give it a chance :)

I go to very, very few movies. But I will make an effort to see this one. I was driving back through Parkerburg when I caught a radio station, that had sent someone to the screening. She said she had trouble sleeping, so she just came straight back to the station so she could make better notes. The woman was so moved by what she'd seen the night before, she could barely contain herself, as she tried to convey how careful the film makers were in telling the story.

Especially when telling stories about the South, and West Virginia in particular, film makers often portray the people in a VERY negative and disrespectful light. In the interview I heard, the woman said the film makers actually talked to the people in that area and they said they were fine with the story being told, as long as they didn't make them look like hicks or hillbilies. Just make them look like what they are: real people with a sad and tragic event in their lives. From everything I've heard, that's what the film makers did.

I hope it wins an Academy Award.

Thanks for posting this here.

RaceFanStan
10th December 2006, 18:15
I know I am going to see it once it gets to the regular movie theatres.
Some people paid $1,000 to watch an early showing.
Screw that ! (Hell, I couldn't afford to blow $1,000 like that.)
I want to see it but I will wait until the cost is normal. :D

#6CupFan
14th December 2006, 03:48
Thanks for all of the posts so far, I noticed this drifted off the first page, so I hope its okay that I bump it back up, I'm hoping it stays around at least until after the movie is released and has been playing for a little bit :)

Hope you'll go see it, you'll love it :)

Mark in Oshawa
14th December 2006, 18:21
I am going to go see the movie, I love any movie that shows football in a realistic light. I just wish Hollywood would make historically accurate war movies. Outside of "Saving Private Ryan" and "Sons of our fathers", there have not been many made who were accurate in the historical record. I say that taking into account a ton of war movies that go back to the 50's.....some were still good movies, but historically were out to lunch. The sad part is, Hollywood takes a great story and makes a mess of it for no reason other than it is too much effort to get it right.

Just ask my opinion on the movie the "Great Escape"!!

Back to the topic, from what I have heard about this movie, it was true to the people of West Virginia and those who knew those who were on that plane...