PDA

View Full Version : Toyota mr2's at the rock

jeffmr2
1st February 2007, 19:04
Just had my monthly Toyota mr2 club magazine and there is an intersting feature in there about an attempt at a world record being held at the rock on april 29th.They want a rolling convoy on mr'2s on the track and need over 162 to set a new world record.It will be verified by GuinessWorld Book of Records officials.
The gutting thing is i'm on a stag do this weekend and will have to miss itl!!
If anyone wants to borrow my mr2 theyre welcome to it lol!!!

LessThanSte
1st February 2007, 23:20
Il do it!

R3ROK
2nd February 2007, 08:12
...The gutting thing is i'm on a stag do this weekend and will have to miss itl!!
If anyone wants to borrow my mr2 theyre welcome to it lol!!!

...Stag do this weekend.....cool, that will be one hell of a party if you can't make it on the 29th April...lol :) I have passed the details on to some good friends of mine who has an MR2, I'm sure they will be up for it. I would borrow your MR2 with pleasure but it would be too tempting to thrash the nuts off it around the oval...I just couldn't trust myself Jeff ;)

I'm a bit behind the times with the new forum and have been away for a while....but it's good to be back ;)

timtime
2nd February 2007, 09:54
What world record are they trying to break?

SteveA
2nd February 2007, 10:43
This thread reminded me of this:

http://www.v8mr2.com/

An interesting online diary of a guy's attempts (ongoing!) to shoe-horn a Northstar V8 into a MR2.

It takes a long time to read it all ;)

acorn
2nd February 2007, 13:16
there was a piece in motorsport news this week about a new record for most cars on track simultaneously set at brands hatch on the indy circuit on 28th january. 311 all lotus models. doesn't say if that was all they could muster or whether that was a self imposed limit.

ascarmarshal
2nd February 2007, 13:49
The 311 Lotus cars that turned up at Brands was all they could get. One was written off in an accident on the way to Brands. The record was done during our (delayed) lunch break at Brands and ran over the time they had been given.

timtime
2nd February 2007, 14:34
I took part in a cavalacade of Minis at Silverstone as part of the Mini 40 celebrations. I think we did three laps of the circuit (International version from memory) and there were 800 minis. It was a huge event with 72,000 people in attendance. Apparently there were 120,000 people at Mini 30.

I think they were two of, if not the two biggest events held there outside the GP.

Heads up to Rockingham the 50th anniversary is two years away.

Tim

JDPower
2nd February 2007, 16:43
Don't think they'd fit that many cars on the Rock oval though. Anyone remember the american car parade with about 100 cars, they were right round the track with cars still queing to get on, so 800 (albeit minis) would be a struggle I think.

F150pickup
2nd February 2007, 16:59
I took part in a cavalacade of Minis at Silverstone as part of the Mini 40 celebrations. I think we did three laps of the circuit (International version from memory) and there were 800 minis. It was a huge event with 72,000 people in attendance. Apparently there were 120,000 people at Mini 30.

I think they were two of, if not the two biggest events held there outside the GP.

Tim

I was working at both of those events And yes they were both the biggest event after a GP. The 40th was a great event groups racing fireworks and much more. Happy Days.

Dave17
2nd February 2007, 18:23
Don't think they'd fit that many cars on the Rock oval though. Anyone remember the american car parade with about 100 cars, they were right round the track with cars still queing to get on, so 800 (albeit minis) would be a struggle I think.

They wer'nt four (or more!) wide though.

acorn
2nd February 2007, 18:28

rockingham is 1.5mile= 7920 feet.

a mini is about 10ft long

so nose to tail single file you could get 790.

you can get at least 5wide if not more so allowing a space between cars you could get at least 2000 probably a lot more.

SteveA
2nd February 2007, 20:36
How long would that take, though? Non Mini "anoraks" would get very bored!

timtime
2nd February 2007, 21:35
The Silverstone cavalcade was done early evening and for the enthusiasts as is appropriate. It would make a bit more of a serious world record attempt. :-)