PDA

View Full Version : Beck Motorsports full time with Stanton Barrett

Chamoo
25th September 2008, 18:38
The other news is that Greg Beck's team is going full-time in the IndyCar Series in 2009 with NASCAR driver Stanton Barrett. Apparently, Barrett, who will be 36 in December, is going to keep his in-house stock car program going by running the Nationwide Series in the early and latter parts of next year.

This is great news, as it adds an American and an oval racer to the series, as well as a full time car. Maybe his name will carry over a couple of fans as well.

Today seems like a pretty productive day for the IRL.

Chris R
25th September 2008, 19:41
Huh? or rather why? nothing against Barrett - but is he bringing lots of $$ to the table I guess? Just seems like there are a whole host of more able/experienced drivers on the market.....

that being said, it is good to have an American driver moving from tin-tops to the IRL - but couldn't it be Jeff Gordon or Kyle Busch?? Ok, so I know that is not going to happen....

Seriously, good news but somewhat puzzling to me....

Chamoo
25th September 2008, 19:54
Huh? or rather why? nothing against Barrett - but is he bringing lots of $$ to the table I guess? Just seems like there are a whole host of more able/experienced drivers on the market.....

that being said, it is good to have an American driver moving from tin-tops to the IRL - but couldn't it be Jeff Gordon or Kyle Busch?? Ok, so I know that is not going to happen....

Seriously, good news but somewhat puzzling to me....

Greg Beck was involved in the Nationwide series in 06 (or 07 maybe). Perhaps he and Barrett hit it off or something. But is it possible that he is bringing money with him. Either way, I don't see it as a bad thing. He can drive a race car, I won't have him in my pick 'ems but... I am sure he will still be respectable.

Spiderman
25th September 2008, 19:56
Greg Beck was involved in the Nationwide series in 06 (or 07 maybe). Perhaps he and Barrett hit it off or something. But is it possible that he is bringing money with him. Either way, I don't see it as a bad thing. He can drive a race car, I won't have him in my pick 'ems but... I am sure he will still be respectable.

36? Maybe a little old for a future IndyCar star...

drewdawg727
25th September 2008, 20:14
36? Maybe a little old for a future IndyCar star...

Nope, that award will have to go to Marty Roth.

Lee Roy
25th September 2008, 21:39
Maybe his name will carry over a couple of fans as well.

Even two is optimistic.

jwhite9185
26th September 2008, 12:05
I see another Marty Roth in the making...

DanicaFan
26th September 2008, 12:08
Yeah, I would of rather seen a breaking news story of Paul Tracy coming in full-time. I agree, nothing personally against Barrett but this team in my opinion will be in the back of the field just about every race. Hanging back there with Milka. :D

I want to see good drivers and podium contenders come in, not just car fillers.

MDS
26th September 2008, 12:32
I see another Marty Roth in the making...

I think he'll be a far sight better than Marty Roth. Barrett has extensive training as a stunt driver and years of experience in the Bush series. At worse he'll be a capable field filler.

He's still a ride buyer, but he's American and he probably has more oval experience than most everyone in the field. Getting together with Beck now should give them time to test and give them time to test.

indycool
26th September 2008, 14:13
His father was also a movie stunt driver with Hal Needham AND a NASCAR Cup driver occasionally. In any case, it'll be a different look in someone going the reverse direction, adding to Brent Sherman.

SoCalPVguy
26th September 2008, 18:50
He must be bringing a boat-load of cash because he isn't bringing a boat-load of talent.

TWhite
26th September 2008, 21:45
Hi new here! I just read about Stanton and want to let you guys know that he is a great guy and will be great for the Indy image. I got to meet him in Dover and he took time out to talk to me and my son when he didn't have to. And I'm just an average fan of NASCAR. But now I'll be following him to Indy!

I also noticed he has a big following in Asia and someone at the track told me that he is as big as Junior over there! I couldn't believe that until did a search and saw all the Japanese and Chinese websites about him. I think Beck might be looking at the opportunities there maybe?? I know NASCAR is trying to get into China but maybe Indy will beat them to it with Stanton.

Good luck Stanton and Beck!

call_me_andrew
26th September 2008, 23:23
I do follow NASCAR and I would like put things in perspective for you.

He has 22 career starts in the Sprint Cup Series, and 49 DNQs.

His average starting postition is 36.8 and his average finishing position is 37.7.

In his 22 starts, he was running at the finish only 6 times. And of those 6 times, none of them were on the lead lap.

I'll grand that his Nationwide Series statistics are slightly more promising.

He has 169 starts and only 12 DNQs, but has still never started every race in a season.

His average starting position is 27.0 and his average finishing position is 27.7.

In his 169 starts, he was running at the finish 113 times, and finihsed on the lead lap 25 times.

He does have 1 top-five and 7 top-ten finishes.

I wouldn't call him bad, I would call him sub-mediocre.

MDS
27th September 2008, 01:20
At least this will give the NASCAR fans forced to buy tickets to Kansas and Chicago someone to cheer for

Chamoo
27th September 2008, 04:32
I do follow NASCAR and I would like put things in perspective for you.

He has 22 career starts in the Sprint Cup Series, and 49 DNQs.

His average starting postition is 36.8 and his average finishing position is 37.7.

Sounds like Dario. I am not too worried.

No one is expecting him to come in here and run top 5's. He will be a field filler, but an american field filler, and some what respectable. Atleast maybe we can have an American leading laps if they are out of sequence.

bravefish
27th September 2008, 16:02
More traffic...

VkmSpouge
27th September 2008, 16:05
Very good luck to Stanton Barrett and Beck Motorsports for next season. Good to have another entry.

nigelred5
27th September 2008, 16:07
He hasn't exactly been blessed with top tier equipment over his carreer in NASCAR either. At least he has plenty of experience getting out of the way and running off-line.

ChampUSfan
28th September 2008, 09:05
Good luck to Stanton and Greg!!

The instant classic
28th September 2008, 15:33
i rember Stanton Barrett from nascar, when i use to watch. he was pretty good, its good to see for once indycar is getting nascar drivers, we got Dario back, now Stanton Barrett, we just need more teams for we can have guys like Tomas Scheckter back ;)

good luck Greg and Stanton im sure you will have a great year