PDA

View Full Version : BitTorrent

schmenke
24th September 2008, 14:39
Anyone use this for file sharing/downloading media?
What are the advantages over typical (HTTP?) file sharing? I've been told that, because a subscriber's "ratio" is monitored, both availabilty and quality of the media files is improved. However, I've also been lead to understand that a subscriber's PC may be vulnerable because the IP address is made available. True?

Why should I use BitTorrent over, say, Limewire for my (ahem) downloads?

C'mon Daniel, pipe up! :D

MrJan
24th September 2008, 14:54
Anyone use this for file sharing/downloading media?
What are the advantages over typical (HTTP?) file sharing? I've been told that, because a subscriber's "ratio" is monitored, both availabilty and quality of the media files is improved. However, I've also been lead to understand that a subscriber's PC may be vulnerable because the IP address is made available. True?

Why should I use BitTorrent over, say, Limewire for my (ahem) downloads?

C'mon Daniel, pipe up! :D

I am also interested in finding out more about *cough cough* downloading. I have ocassionally used uTorrent and used to use Limewire a lot but found that it caused lots of dodgy problems. Also is it safer to sprear the downloads around incase people are monitoring what has been downloaded (on a purely hypothetical basis).

Daniel
24th September 2008, 14:59
I'm not a big illegal filesharer but bittorrent is better for big things like movies and tv show episodes and limewire is better for music.

Donney
24th September 2008, 15:29
Which is exactly what I do and it works for me.

MrJan
24th September 2008, 16:41
I'm not a big illegal filesharer but bittorrent is better for big things like movies and tv show episodes and limewire is better for music.

Who said anything about illegal ;) If other kind souls want to share files with me then what's wrong with that? It's not my fault if what I thought was their own remake of Cloverfield turns out to be the genuine film........is it? :erm:

306 Cosworth
24th September 2008, 17:05

Torrent websites are much much better than Limewire. Limewire is rubbish these days.

I remember the good old days of WinMX, that had everything on it!!

Daniel
24th September 2008, 17:44
Torrent websites are much much better than Limewire. Limewire is rubbish these days.

I remember the good old days of WinMX, that had everything on it!!
Thing is it's a pain to find a torrent for every little song you want to download. By the same token it's a lot faster to download movies, iso's and other large files from Limewire which is why people like Donney and myself use BitTorrent for that and Limewire fore things like songs.....

WinMx was good :up:

Drew
24th September 2008, 20:03
Emule for music, bit torrent for films :)

schmenke
24th September 2008, 20:38
I use Limewire on occasion (*cough*) to download music files, but I find the quality of the files available is increasingly poor. That's what drew my attention to BitTorrent.

Yes, I too miss WinMX.

What's Emule all about?

cdn_grampa
24th September 2008, 21:32
Hi - I used this for awhile when I was working with some other guys doing a lot of RBR stuff.

It might suit your purposes.

http://www.driveway.com/driveway/online-file-sharing-download.htm

Driveway Plug-in is a desktop application that integrates with your windows explorer and allows users to upload files/folders to their Driveway account and share them with associates. After downloading and installing the application, one can start using the service to create Parkit links, with a simple ‘Right-click’ on any file/folder. For folders, it creates a zip file prior to transmission. The Plug-in accepts all file types, including audio, video and Office files, too large to be sent via email. This is a free online file sharing service.

Storm
25th September 2008, 07:50
I want to get back to downloading *cough again* after not doing it for many years....basically since WinMX/Napster ( :( good old days).
A friend did suggest BitTorrent to me too (he does a movie a day!) but I would more likely be searching for music than films. So should I go for Limewire then?

Daniel
25th September 2008, 08:44
Napster was awesome! I remember when Metallica sent me a letter through Napster. That was cool!

Storm
25th September 2008, 09:09
Aye and I forgot KaZaA or whatever that was and Morpheus!

Valve Bounce
25th September 2008, 12:53
Aye and I forgot KaZaA or whatever that was and Morpheus!

For awhile, Kazaa lite was OK. I now use at least 3 different anti spyware just to make sure my PC is not infected by pics and other e-mail stuff sent by relatives and friends.

schmenke
25th September 2008, 16:59
Napster was awesome! I remember when Metallica sent me a letter through Napster. That was cool!

Did they really? :laugh:

Kazaa was horrid. Despite being firewalled my PC was so infected with trojans that I ended up reformatting my HD :s

Daniel
25th September 2008, 17:43
Did they really? :laugh:

Kazaa was horrid. Despite being firewalled my PC was so infected with trojans that I ended up reformatting my HD :s
Everyone who had downloaded metallica songs on napster was sent this snotty announcement and it basically we'll sue you blah blah :)

Metallica copped a lot of crap for it from their fans.

Installing Kazaa on your PC is like living in the dodgiest part of the dodgiest city in the world and having a flashing sign above your house saying 'break into my house!' and leaving the front door unlocked :mark:

A.F.F.
25th September 2008, 19:52
DC++

Large, small, period.

donKey jote
26th September 2008, 20:24
hey gramps :wave: :D

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

ChrisS
26th September 2008, 21:05
anyone uses file hosts for downloads? I've been using a RapidShare premium account for years now. With a 20Mb/s connection downloading a movie is a matter of 10-15 minutes and a full music album a matter of 1-2 minutes

Shell
27th September 2008, 16:29
I use Limewire for random songs and always grab the best quality (at least 192) to download if it comes up.

For movies, tv shows, and whole albums, I use http://www.mininova.org for the torrents and Vuze (used to be Azureus) to download.

I'm not too concerned about viruses.. yay for Macs :P

jonas_mcrae
27th September 2008, 17:53
DC++

Large, small, period.

Oh yes one of the best around, I use it in the local network at my University you can download Movies like in 4 minutes or whole TV seasons in like 10min its great!

I also use UTorrent but something is wrong with my internet connection the program says the port is not properly forwarded... anyone knows how to fix that? my connection is not slow (2mb) but still my download's speed is crap...

by the way Limewire sucksballs now!