PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Herbert - wasted talent?

wedge
24th September 2008, 01:21
According to Alan Henry he was!

That left me flabbergasted when I flicked through F1 Racing mag!

Henry defined 'wasted talent' as drivers who went on a path of self destruction - others listed were Rene Arnoux, JPM, Jan Magnussen but no way Herbert asked to have his legs crushed, nor lacked motivation. Poor Herbert literally had to go through blood, sweat and tears to live the F1 dream after a horrendous accident at Brands Hatch.

Thoughts?

Valve Bounce
24th September 2008, 01:42
He must have been smoking that stuff again. :rolleyes:

Ranger
24th September 2008, 05:28
I would also point out that this was the same person who said Fernando Alonso would be lucky to win another F1 race ever.

Garry Walker
24th September 2008, 14:27
I would also point out that this was the same person who said Fernando Alonso would be lucky to win another F1 race ever.

Did Alan Henry really say that? He is more stupid than I thought he was then.

Herbert could have been so much more if not for his accident, but people tend to forget that when in Lotus he was usually faster than Mika Häkkinen in the same car.

wedge
24th September 2008, 15:36
Herbert could have been so much more if not for his accident, but people tend to forget that when in Lotus he was usually faster than Mika Häkkinen in the same car.

He was one of my favourite drivers when I really got into F1. Mika was usually quicker in quali but Herbert was better in races.

futuretiger9
24th September 2008, 20:57
I remember the excitement when Johnny finished fourth in his first Grand Prix in Brazil in '89. Unfortunately, when circuits requiring harder braking came up, it became apparent that he had not fully recovered from the Brands crash.

His record against Hakkinen at Lotus gives a glimpse of what might have been. I was delighted when he won his three GPs, and equally thrilled for him when he won Le Mans with Mazda.

Rather than a wasted talent, I tend to regard Johnny as a "talent thwarted". He had all the credentials - a top karter, Formula Ford Festival winner and British Formula 3 champion.

ShiftingGears
25th September 2008, 08:04
Did Alan Henry really say that?

Yes he did - it was in F1Racing a few months back.

ArrowsFA1
25th September 2008, 08:54
So far he's right though :p

PolePosition_1
25th September 2008, 09:59
I think Herbert was always a strange one. When he was on form, the man was amazing. I remember 1999 when he raced the Stewart cars, and won at the Euro GP after a difficult season, and from that point on in the season, he was amazing. So the potential was there, but we rarely saw it.

I'd probably rate him like Heikki out of todays crops of drivers.

futuretiger9
25th September 2008, 20:45
It would be interesting to know whether Johnny himself felt that he should have achieved more, or whether he is just grateful to have had such a lengthy career at the top, considering the accident in 88.

jens
26th September 2008, 17:38
My memories about Herbert are that he was firstly an unlucky driver often retiring front point-scoring positions, although this was made up by 3 wins, all which involved luck-factor. Secondly he looked like a consistent and reliable driver, although on most occasions lacked of pace and usually got beaten by his team-mates of strong caliber (like Irvine, Barrichello, Alesi, Frentzen, not even mentioning MS) over a full season. His finest seasons were probably those, where Johnny wasn't in a shadow of his team-mate (93, 97). We may discuss what could have been without that nasty 88 Brands Hatch accident, but... alas in the end those discussions don't change anything...

futuretiger9
26th September 2008, 23:49
He quickly went from being the hottest new talent (early 1989), to being a solid reliable team-man. However, Johnny accepted his predicament with his customary good humour.

Herbert did suffer more than his fair share of ill-fortune. Perhaps the most frustrating setback was Monza '94, when he qualified very strongly, only to be sidelined at the start by a crash which was not of his making.

wedge
28th September 2008, 16:43

Seems like it'll be his turn to run round a race track naked!

futuretiger9
24th October 2008, 00:57
There was an excellent interview with Johnny in a recent issue of MotorSport magazine. It illustrated just what trials and tribulations he went through during his career. Thankfully, he has not lost that impish sense of humour!

wedge
24th October 2008, 12:47
That was a frank and revealing interview. Quicker than Piquet at one point probably shows what might've been :(

Then again he said previously before the accident he was shy, inward and a bit arrogant and used an outward humorous personality to hide the awful pain. Judging by the former I wonder whether he really would've been the next Senna (I was too young to follow F3).....

futuretiger9
24th October 2008, 23:33
That was a frank and revealing interview. Quicker than Piquet at one point probably shows what might've been :(

Then again he said previously before the accident he was shy, inward and a bit arrogant and used an outward humorous personality to hide the awful pain. Judging by the former I wonder whether he really would've been the next Senna (I was too young to follow F3).....#

Yes, the relevation that he "changed" his personality after the accident was new to me. I only really started following his career in the aftermath of the crash.