PDA

View Full Version : Another school shooting in Finland

A.F.F.
23rd September 2008, 11:59
http://www.mtv3.fi/uutiset/kotimaa.shtml/arkistot/kotimaa/2008/09/719359

http://www.iltalehti.fi/etusivu/

The worst has happened. After the school shooting in Jokela last spring, it appears there's a copycat. The shooter apparently is still alive after being wounded with head injury, propably by his own hand. There is still not a valid information how many casualties there are but more than just a couple :(

I did fear Jokela won't be the last incident and I hate to be right this time. :(

veeten
23rd September 2008, 12:01
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26849077

:(

Daniel
23rd September 2008, 12:12
:(

I hope all the forum Finns are alright.

Woodeye
23rd September 2008, 12:15
9 casualties so far... :(

Where do these psychos come from!? I'm really angry right now. :mad:

Daniel
23rd September 2008, 12:22
9 casualties so far... :(

Where do these psychos come from!? I'm really angry right now. :mad:
I think the psycho's have always been around. What annoys me is people being allowed to own weapons which are purely meant to kill other humans :mark: I've no problem with people owning rifles for hunting and so on but what reason is there for anyone to own an automatic pistol (as has reportedly been used in this killing).

While weapons like this are available to everyday people things like this will continue to happen sadly :(

On a different note why is it usually places of education where this sort of thing happens?

ShiftingGears
23rd September 2008, 12:28
RIP.

pino
23rd September 2008, 12:41
Very sad news :(

Garry Walker
23rd September 2008, 13:06
Very sad news indeed.
hopefully none of this forums finns has any relatives or friends injured in the attack.

Roy
23rd September 2008, 13:56
What is going on in Finland? It was so a quite country. No news is good news and now we heard (in Holland) about a next (school) shooting. My thoughts going to all family and relatives.

For English text about this: http://virtual.finland.fi/stt/

Tomi
23rd September 2008, 16:30
I think the psycho's have always been around.

True but now they walk n the streets here, the government has done huge cuts in mental care, im fed up with the cuts, this country is more and more like a dump.

Daniel
23rd September 2008, 17:11
True but now they walk n the streets here, the government has done huge cuts in mental care, im fed up with the cuts, this country is more and more like a dump.
Sadly this happens here too. I started work in a new town and I was walking around thinking that there were a lot of "strange" people around here and I said this to Caroline and she said that they closed down the mental hospital in the town and just put everyone out into the community. Great idea.....

ioan
23rd September 2008, 18:07
Sadly this happens here too. I started work in a new town and I was walking around thinking that there were a lot of "strange" people around here and I said this to Caroline and she said that they closed down the mental hospital in the town and just put everyone out into the community. Great idea.....

FGS :(

jim mcglinchey
23rd September 2008, 18:28
Third highest gun ownership per head of population in the world after USA and Yemen, what the hell do they expect??

leopard
24th September 2008, 09:16
Sad news, :(

If this gun ownership in Finland jeopardizes civil, I suggest Finn here to take any effort to be bulletproof.

Roamy
24th September 2008, 15:49
ban the guns!!!

It has worked very well in countries who have banned guns. Just look at Mexico. The people and visitors can't legally possess guns. So they have been real safe. Well a few heads roll at the disco's from time to time and only 2000 law enforcement people have been killed this year. Cities are controlled by drug gangs but at least the average citizen won't suffer because they will die real fast if in the way of any of drug battles. Mexico City is so peaceful they just recently had a love-in to signify how safe the city is and how virtually no crime exists.
So yep get out the trash bins and collect those guns.

Rani
24th September 2008, 19:39
ban the guns!!!

It has worked very well in countries who have banned guns. Just look at Mexico. The people and visitors can't legally possess guns. So they have been real safe. Well a few heads roll at the disco's from time to time and only 2000 law enforcement people have been killed this year. Cities are controlled by drug gangs but at least the average citizen won't suffer because they will die real fast if in the way of any of drug battles. Mexico City is so peaceful they just recently had a love-in to signify how safe the city is and how virtually no crime exists.
I'd say the problem in Mexico isn't gun control but law enforcement. Wouldn't you?

A.F.F.
24th September 2008, 21:10
ban the guns!!!

That has been one suggestion. Well, at least the hand guns.

I agree. I fail to see where and what an avarage joe does need a hand gun for?

Garry Walker
24th September 2008, 22:12

Home defence.

Tomi
24th September 2008, 22:29
Home defence.

That excuse dont work here i guess, I dont have statistics but propably 99% of home robbery are done when nobody is home.

A.F.F.
24th September 2008, 23:03
Home defence.

Not in here. Baseball bat or just loud voice is enough.

In Finland all they need guns for is hunting and school shootings. :mark:

Eki
25th September 2008, 05:20
That excuse dont work here i guess, I dont have statistics but propably 99% of home robbery are done when nobody is home.
I don't remember anyone here defending their home against a robber. On the other hand, I do remember hearing peoples' guns and gun collections being stolen by burglers.

Tomi
25th September 2008, 05:31
I do remember hearing peoples' guns and gun collections being stolen by burglers.

Lol, I was thnking the same yesterday, I know a collector who have around 200 guns mostly very old, but many modern too.

Hawkmoon
26th September 2008, 04:37
ban the guns!!!

We aren't permitted most types of guns in Australia yet we don't have high violent crime rates. I'm sorry but gun ownership isn't a solution to crime. Never has been and never will be,

That has been one suggestion. Well, at least the hand guns.

Home defence.

Wouldn't a bolt action .22 do the same thing? Why does it need to be a semiautomatic hand gun? I find the American obsession with guns absurd. I find it rather sad that an American police officer will pull a driver over for a traffic offense and approach the car with his/her hand on their sidearm. This sort of thing doesn't happen in Australia becuase the chances of the someone having a pistol in their glovebox is practically zero.

Guns haven't made America safer. It's exactly the opposite. Seems the Finns are having the same problem.

Daniel
26th September 2008, 09:27
We aren't permitted most types of guns in Australia yet we don't have high violent crime rates. I'm sorry but gun ownership isn't a solution to crime. Never has been and never will be,

Wouldn't a bolt action .22 do the same thing? Why does it need to be a semiautomatic hand gun? I find the American obsession with guns absurd. I find it rather sad that an American police officer will pull a driver over for a traffic offense and approach the car with his/her hand on their sidearm. This sort of thing doesn't happen in Australia becuase the chances of the someone having a pistol in their glovebox is practically zero.

Guns haven't made America safer. It's exactly the opposite. Seems the Finns are having the same problem.
Please stop being logical and sensible when it comes to guns.

I always thought the best form of home defence was locking your doors and windows :mark: If your doors and windows are securely locked then the person is going to have to break a window to get in and most burglars won't do that and will just move onto a softer target.

janneppi
26th September 2008, 11:03
Not exactly, I don't know anyone who keeps a gun for safety reasons. It's just not an issue, at least not in the same way as in US.

Daniel
26th September 2008, 11:19
Not exactly, I don't know anyone who keeps a gun for safety reasons. It's just not an issue, at least not in the same way as in US.
I don't think Hawkmoon was saying that Finns keep guns for protection, but more that having small automatic weapons widely available doesn't make you safer.

Eki
26th September 2008, 21:12
I just read that some gun dealers here refuse from now on to sell guns to people under 25 until Finland changes its gun laws. Could be moral, could be marketing, I don't know. Or could be just common sense, like those car renting firms who don't rent cars to people under 25, although in some countries you can get a driver's license when you're 16.

Garry Walker
29th September 2008, 17:01
Not in here. Baseball bat or just loud voice is enough.

In Finland all they need guns for is hunting and school shootings. :mark:

If you are an out of shape average computer geek male or a female, then a baseball bat is the most dangerous thing to use against a burglar. Because likelyhood is that the burglar will disarm you quickly, then beat you up with that whilst laughing.

A good bullet to the burglars chest will stop the problem quickly and he probably will not be laughing much anymore.

Why does it need to be a semiautomatic hand gun? . Because then you can shoot 2 burglars. Or one burglar 3 times. :D

A.F.F.
29th September 2008, 19:53
Because then you can shoot 2 burglars. Or one burglar 3 times. :D

That is funny. That Finnish school shooter shot 200 rounds to his 10 victims. :mark:

6th October 2008, 18:46
RIP.
When you login on the forum just notice on the top right side user cp is there click on that. There you will find the signature box.

John Philips
Search Engine (http://www.yahoo.com)