PDA

View Full Version : Andy Neate seriously injured at Brit Car 24hr

cpearson
22nd September 2008, 14:45
My thoughts and best wishes go to Andy and his family. Get well soon.

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/brit_gt/news/169349-0/neate_injured_in_britcar_24.html

Allyc85
22nd September 2008, 17:38
Just read thus myself, so hope he gets well soon :(

VkmSpouge
22nd September 2008, 20:03
I hope Andy gets better quickly.

Vez
22nd September 2008, 20:35
What a nasty injury :( I hope he recovers soon from it.

My best wishes go to him, his family and friends.

Sarah
22nd September 2008, 20:51
Best wishes to Andy and his family.

Dave B
23rd September 2008, 09:59
Fingers crossed for a full and speedy recovery, and best wishes to Andy and his family.

Rusty
23rd September 2008, 15:50
all the best Andy and get well soon mate....

Les
24th September 2008, 07:11
I have copied this from another forum as Sara and Sarah-Jane don't know every forum that has posts about Andy.

Hello

As Sara's sister in law and Andy's sister,I would personally like to send all those who have sent their best wishes and thought's a very big thank you.

The family really appreciate all your thoughts, and Sara and I have been telling Andy how well thought of he is. Although we are not certain he hears us, we know it must be good, if he does, to hear a familiar voice.

Sara is currently at the hospital with Andy, hence why I am now posting.

We would also like to thank those who have been respectful and had the good grace to apologise for the posting of videos and photo's. Although we understand these are within the public domain and we have no legal right to request their removal, we are trying to protect Andy's young children. We are seeing first hand ourselves the aftermath of Saturday 20th Sept at Silverstone, and the constant reminders via video or photo are a bitter pill to swallow for Andy's family.

Andy is still in Intensive Care, and still on the ventilator. They had removed it, and hoped he would be able to sustain himself without the aid of the ventilator, but currently his lungs are just not quite strong enough to do this. So unfortunately this morning they re-ventilated him and again sedated him. My brother is a fighter, and will not give in easily to this, his family need him to battle on, but we know this is going to be a long hard slog and we are merely at the starting line still.

However everyday brings fresh optimism and hope and every little triumph is a miracle for all of us.

Once again we will try to keep you as informed as possible of Andy's progress, but please understand it may be very intermittent as we are spending almost all of our time with Andy at the hospital.

Yours

Sarah-Jane

Forum Buddy
24th September 2008, 13:59
Thanks for your note, I will be praying for Andy and the Family, keeping talking to him, he will hear you I'm sure.

You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

God Bless

Robinho
24th September 2008, 21:28
Best Wishes to Andy and his family, nothing more i can add at this difficult time

Les
25th September 2008, 13:39
todays update:-

Andy was due to have his operation today,but unfortunately it has been cancelled. However the longer we wait the stronger my brother gets. He is still in a critical condition and is in an awful lot of pain. He keeps indicating that the pain is a 10, this is based on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worst you could imagine. However the very fact he can feel pain is another little miracle for all that love him.

Because we are now hoping he will have his op on Saturday, we have chosen to give him a nice break from listening to Sara and myself asking all the hundreds of questions you feel you need to ask the dr's and nurses lol.

Andy still has an infection on his right lung, and has not been allowed to come off of ventilation or to have the chest tube removed from his left lung, however as with before, everyday he gets just a little better, and the surgeon who will be operating on him this weekend, has told us he is making an incredible recovery at the moment.

He is clearly not out of the woods, but all progress no matter how small is welcomed and as a family we are so terribly proud of Andy and how he is progressing. He is still under sedation, but has become increasingly aware of us around him.

Anyway as soon as we know anymore, either myself or Sara will update the thread for you all. Thank you again for all the get well messages, Sara is printing them all off and making a scrap book for Andy, so that whilst he is in recuperation he will have something wonderful to look back at, and see how much he is clearly thought of by the racing community.

Sarah-Jane xx

Dave B
25th September 2008, 14:03
Thank you Les for keeping this forum updated. If you speak to the family please let them know how much support and goodwill Andy has here.

:)

AndySpeed
25th September 2008, 15:56
Thanks Les for copying the news onto here. Hope Andy gets better very soon and that the pain moves down from a 10!

Les
25th September 2008, 20:35
Thank you Les for keeping this forum updated. If you speak to the family please let them know how much support and goodwill Andy has here.

:)

he will know. Sara is printing off the messages as will I to put in a scrap book so that later on he will have something to read and see just how many lovely people are out there thinking of him.

BTCC2
2nd October 2008, 23:49
Any news on how things went?

El Sween
4th October 2008, 19:37
I hope Andy is doing well.

Any updates?

Les
5th October 2008, 10:56
it's a bit of a waiting game at the moment.

Les
6th October 2008, 13:29
Update last night from his sis...

This weekend has been very hard for our family, Andy amazes us constantly and we are so very proud of him and his achievements.

But we are consistently being told different things by the dr's and nurses, which often leads you on a rollercoaster of emotions.

He managed to sleep on Saturday night for a number of hours without the aid of sedation, and whilst many of us take this for granted, for us as a family and also Andy this was a massive thing. I could have cried when I realised this Sunday morning.

He is getting extremely tired throughout the day as he is wanting so badly to get up and about, but obviously right at this moment it is not possible.

But at the very least the will to do this is there and that in itself is another mountain we have climbed.

As I say, he never ceases to amaze us, it is extremely difficult and upsetting to watch somebody you love so very much in pain and angry because of this, but for us the comfort comes from knowing he is very much loved and cared about and we know he is currently in the best place for him.

SJxx

El Sween
8th October 2008, 22:21
I wish him and his family all the best at this difficult time.

Les
10th October 2008, 07:10
from his dad:-
Hi IAN here,Just Thought i would share a special moment with you all.This morning when i went in to see Andy there were Drs & Nursing staff around him also Sara,she must of told him i had arrived,because all of a sudden and quite unexpected he gave me a smile and wave,plus the thumbs up,now i know this sounds a little trival but believe me after seeing Andy just lying there almost everyday for 3 weeks and then having him greet me this way brought a lump to my throat and a feeling better than if i had won the lottery.When i think how different things could of turned out.It is strange how small things like a wave can give one so much pleasure and a feeling that Andy is getting stronger and fighting back and will come home.http://pistonheads.com/inc/images/wavey.gif

I am evil Homer
10th October 2008, 10:09
Great news :up:

Allyc85
10th October 2008, 14:24
Thats brilliant to hear :D

Vez
11th October 2008, 13:56
That's great news :cool:

Les
12th October 2008, 22:35
the update from tonight:-

Hi all

Well unfortunately there is not a great amount to report, aside from Andy is now off of ICU and onto a trauma ward.

As a family we are now pushing to try to get him closer to home, he needs to be nearer to Sara and his children, this would aid his recovery immensely.

The surgeon who performed his neck operation came today and was impressed with Andy's recovery so far. Although he did say he was shocked at how much weight Andy had lost. Personally I do not believe I have ever seen him so skinny, but given time this is something that can be gained back, through proper food and working out.

Anyway, as previously said, we will probably not be posting as frequently now, purely because this time is extremely personal to my brother, and none of us will ever do anything to betray his privacy.

We still receive many cards and well wishes daily and are as always eternally grateful for those, as will Andy be when he can sit and read them all http://pistonheads.com/inc/images/smile.gif

Thank you all again

Much Love

SJxx

AndySpeed
12th October 2008, 23:45
Much appreciated update there, glad to hear things are moving forwards even if slowly. :)

Dave B
13th October 2008, 09:30
Good news. As ever thanks for the update and please let Andy and his family know that he's in our thoughts.

Allyc85
13th October 2008, 19:02
Thanks for the updates :)

Les
17th October 2008, 22:09
More news from Sarah-Jane:-

Well as promised I have an update.

But my update is going to include a weeks worth of news.

Over the last week Andy has made astounding progress, we are extremely proud of him, and his progress shows his true strength of character and willpower. He is amazing and as I have said previously he never ceases to amaze us daily.

This past week has seen Andy move from ICU to trauma, on trauma he has managed to walk a little everyday,until he can now walk to the end of the corridor and back. He is also going to the gym daily.

He has finally had a shower on his own. Can now lift his arms up to shoulder height. Had all the tubes feeding him, giving him oxygen and also helping him with other bits and pieces removed. But the biggest thing aside from all of the above, is he had his trache removed, and is now eating solids as a result of this and also drinking tiny sips of fluid.

I could never have imagined that in a week he would have achieved all of this, but then again knowing him as I do, I really should not be surprised, he is not a quitter,and has the strength of an ox.

The best thing that happened today however was that he has now been moved to a hospital much closer to home, so he can be closer to Sara and the children,and this in itself will be just the motivation he needs to get him through. He is extremely lucky to have Sara as his wife,and he is so happy everyday when he see's her,add to that him now being able to see his children and I can only begin to imagine how he will feel.

So I am going to make this my 2nd to last post, my final one will be for Andy when he leaves hospital.

I would once more like to thank everyone who has followed this thread, and our postings, wishing Andy and his family well along the way.You will never know how much these posts and inparticular this thread has helped us as a family.

Thank you all again

Much Love

Sarah Jane xx

Allyc85
18th October 2008, 09:06
Thats incredible, im so happy to read this :D :D :D :D :D

Dave B
18th October 2008, 09:37
Phenomenal. No other word for it.

:D

Eurotech
18th October 2008, 14:03
What a recovery! Team RAC would be proud (geddit?)

MBailey06
19th October 2008, 10:25
It seems so miraculous that someone can make such a significant improvement in such a short period of time. Your nearly there Andy, keep on going!

Les
22nd October 2008, 22:26
hurrahhhhhhhh :P

from Sara:-

Sorry for the gap in posting but I've had a busy couple of days caring for Andy who was discharged from Hospital late on Monday evening!!!!!!!!!! He is now on familiar ground to continue his recovery and altough we still have a way to go, least he is home. He does want to write himself but is just not up to it at the minute so until he is, I just wanted to let you all know.

You are also right about Richard Dean and I contacted the team directly after the accident to wish him well, Sj has also been in contact so he is most definately in our families thoughts.

Thank you once again for all your amazing support and I hope it won't be too long before Andy posts here for you all to read.

Sara xxxx

El Sween
24th October 2008, 00:07
Great news. Best wishes to him and family once again.

mattie007
14th November 2009, 14:49
Theres an article about him in this weeks Autosport.
Hes fully recovered and has been testing the RAC BMW again. Maybe a third driver next season?

tisme
14th November 2009, 18:24
Testing a car and doing a full season is two completely different things.

His 'Test' at Brands Hatch showed how far off the pace he is. If he does drive the third car he will need a lot of testing. And to me, he didn't look as though he was fully recovered!

mattie007
15th November 2009, 19:13
Fair enough. I was just pointing out that hes back on his feet.

Elmo
17th November 2009, 23:23
Testing a car and doing a full season is two completely different things.

His 'Test' at Brands Hatch showed how far off the pace he is. If he does drive the third car he will need a lot of testing. And to me, he didn't look as though he was fully recovered!

He looks a lot better than he did, and after breaking his neck only just a year ago he's obvioulsy not going to be 100% just yet, give the man a chance.

Also having spoken with some of the lads at RAC they were very pleased with him. I wouldnt say 1 sec of the 2009 pole time is too bad for somebody thats come back from a crash like that and not driven anything since do you?

Eurotech
18th November 2009, 16:56
and also when you think he's only really been racing in Fiestas - this is still one of his first outings in the Beemer