PDA

View Full Version : Dynamics as Honda Manufacturer team?

swedishsundays
1st February 2007, 14:13
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56545

Just found this on Autosport...an interesting development!

tin-top fan
1st February 2007, 14:39
This is pretty good news I think. I supppose it'll work like alfa in the wtcc where they are classed as a manufacturer entry, but in reality they are privateers. It was also said that Honda were going to be a manufacturer in the WTCC this year with Jas, but would it make sense for them to be helping to develop both the civic and accord in s2000 form. Maybe this could be a development year before Honda enter he WTCC as a manufacturer next year with Dynamics.

also- weren't team halfords in the manufacturers championship in 2004 even though they were independants?

Iain
1st February 2007, 14:54
No, in 2004 Arena were the Honda representatives.

Alfa Fan
1st February 2007, 15:02
Team Dynamics also scored points for Honda. Whilst they were an independent

Rusty
1st February 2007, 15:06
Team Dynamics also scored points for Honda. Whilst they were an independent

Does this mean that Steve Neal could win Drivers indipendants and manufacturers titles this year sorry if i sound stupid but doesnt seem right...

Alfa Fan
1st February 2007, 15:14
Look the manufacturers championship allows a manufacturer to nominate 2 of their type of cars, whoever they are run by!

SEAT this year could nominate a Motorbase car if they wish!

Brown, Jon Brow
1st February 2007, 15:23
Look the manufacturers championship allows a manufacturer to nominate 2 of their type of cars, whoever they are run by!

Do they have to nominate cars or is it the top 2 finishers for the manufacturer?

Could this mean that Team Dynamics will change livery this year, to a traditional Honda Livery?

tintin
1st February 2007, 15:27

Which is how it worked in 2004.
Honda was allowed to nominate more cars than Arena actually ran, so they also nominated the Halfords cars.

Brown, Jon Brow
1st February 2007, 15:29
Which is how it worked in 2004.
Honda was allowed to nominate more cars than Arena actually ran, so they also nominated the Halfords cars.

But if Arena and TD didn't finish and JK in the Syncro finished 5th, would Honda get point's?

Iain
1st February 2007, 15:32
Not unless he was nominated to score points.

Brown, Jon Brow
1st February 2007, 15:42
Whats the definition of an Independent team now?

Syncro gets Honda help (in a way :s ) but is a Independent, WSR are getting BMW help but are independents

Is there a certain level of support that a munafacturer can give?

I think that it could be a clever marketing move by Honda to enter TD as a works team. If they win the championship they could put 2007 BTCC champions in their adverts. But it could be a seasons to late :laugh:

Iain
1st February 2007, 16:14

Syncro gets Honda help (in a way :s ) but is a Independent, WSR are getting BMW help but are independents

Is there a certain level of support that a munafacturer can give?

Synchro are funded privately by the employees and sponsors. They only use Honda's premises to run the team in their spare time and use rejected components from the production line which would have been binned anyway.

WSR are getting help from BMW engineers, nothing financial. So still independent.

It appears as if Honda would pay the entry fee for manufacturer's points, but leave the rest up to Team Dynamics.

BDunnell
1st February 2007, 16:21
It appears as if Honda would pay the entry fee for manufacturer's points, but leave the rest up to Team Dynamics.

It's basically a fairly cheap way of getting publicity for Honda if they win the manufacturers' championship, while also adding a bit of extra kudos to the entry (not that TD need it).

Captain VXR
1st February 2007, 17:09
Good news, more than two works teams :s mokin:

Iain
1st February 2007, 17:28
Manufacturer-backed entries is probably a more accurate term. The last works BTCC team was Peugeot in 1996 and for a short while in 2001. ;)

captin 1 VXR
1st February 2007, 19:02
Manufacturer-backed entries is probably a more accurate term. The last works BTCC team was Peugeot in 1996 and for a short while in 2001. ;)

thought proton was the last works team to join the leave :rolleyes: but could be wrong

tintin
1st February 2007, 19:16
Proton wasn't a works team. It was barely a manufacturer-backed team towards the end.

Iain
1st February 2007, 19:19
Indeed. They had to build their first cars up from roadcars bought from the local dealership in Norfolk.

cookingfat
1st February 2007, 20:01
Dynamics as Honda Manufacturer team! :laugh:

WHY?? What is the reasoning behind that??

Well, it's got you guys talking!

Only the manufacturers/importers that have registered for the Championship will be eligible for points in the Manufacturers Championship and be eligible for competition in the Championship. - All manufacturers wishing to compete in the Manufacturers Championship must be registered.
The Manufacturers/Importers Registration Fee is £***** plus VAT per Manufacturer.

kmchow
1st February 2007, 21:22
Synchro are funded privately by the employees and sponsors. They only use Honda's premises to run the team in their spare time and use rejected components from the production line which would have been binned anyway.
If Syncro is run like their US counterparts, Honda does contribute some seed money or car shell for them, perhaps a few days off with pay to attend the races. But they are required to find their own sponsors after that. But there is a lot of passion/dedication as some workers even used their own vacation time to attend to the races!

kmchow
1st February 2007, 21:24
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56545

Just found this on Autosport...an interesting development!
It looks a mirror image of the Rouse/Nissan effort back in the mid 90s when Nissan race officially as independent, but was basically a Works outfit?

VkmSpouge
1st February 2007, 21:41
Actually I believe Rouse's Nissan team was not even classified as an independent. Back in 1996 it received too much works backing so the drivers never scored points in the Independents' Cup. However Nissan never paid the manufacturers' entry fee so the never scored points in the Manufacturers' Championship.

Alfabeta2
1st February 2007, 22:48
Synchro had to use their own holidays from work to set up on a friday and never got paid to work on the touring car.

Iain
2nd February 2007, 01:47
Actually I believe Rouse's Nissan team was not even classified as an independent. Back in 1996 it received too much works backing so the drivers never scored points in the Independents' Cup. However Nissan never paid the manufacturers' entry fee so the never scored points in the Manufacturers' Championship.

From the 1996-97 Touring Car Yearbook, I quote: "The deal left the team in a curious limbo. Nissan did not want to give the project full works status by forking out the hefty registration fee for the manufacturers' championship, but Rouse was receiving far more assistance than is allowed in the privateers' Total Cup."

That was of course before rules were relaxed a bit regarding assistance. Hence Matt Neal's progress into a winning car come the end of the 1990s.

Ian McC
3rd February 2007, 21:14
It's basically a fairly cheap way of getting publicity for Honda if they win the manufacturers' championship, while also adding a bit of extra kudos to the entry (not that TD need it).

Don't see why TD should bother if Honda are not making much of an effort.

Neil Adams
3rd February 2007, 21:28
perhaps they're trying to position themselves as an obvious choice to any new manufacturer for the 2008 championship?

Alfabeta2
4th February 2007, 01:34
i believe that if they become reconised as a manufacturer backed team and then proceed to do badly (Neal indicates it may be a tough season) it may incourage Honda to pie i some extra £££ so as not to look embarasing

racer69
4th February 2007, 07:47
Then again if they do badly it might also encourage Honda to not throw more money in.

Alfabeta2
4th February 2007, 11:34
my opinion is that Honda wont allow its newest model to be humilated.

Ian McC
4th February 2007, 11:48
Honda had intended to come back, but this was before the change to S2000 rules was decided which ruled out the Type R.

If they were going to enter it woule be the Accord and maybe that just isn't in their plans.

captin 1 VXR
4th February 2007, 12:18
could be that next year theres the new accord out .. and as u say ian type r or civic is not in there game plan !! so may just hold out till next year .. .

also if there is only 2 proper works teams with td also going for the m f championship means thay finish in the top 3 . so could this be t d resson for going for the m f championship !???

Scuderia ferrari
4th February 2007, 18:41
No, in 2004 Arena were the Honda representatives.

Yeah- and if a remember correctly, that year was rubbish for both drivers with various faliures!

Should be interesting- but my money and support is on seat.

Iain
4th February 2007, 20:39
Arena had one driver in 2004.

kmchow
5th February 2007, 01:00
Honda had intended to come back, but this was before the change to S2000 rules was decided which ruled out the Type R.

If they were going to enter it woule be the Accord and maybe that just isn't in their plans.

Wasn't Honda one of the original S2000 creators/draftees? They were racing the Civic until the "new" Accord was launched, but later decided against racing their Accord which is now due for a replacement?

speedy king
5th February 2007, 01:25
Sounds like TD are going in for a bit of a shoddy deal :s And Honda are in a potential position to gain at TD's literal expense

kmchow
5th February 2007, 02:44
Don't see why TD should bother if Honda are not making much of an effort.
TD will definitely try their hardest as they want to impress Honda or another manufacturer into a potential works contract in the future?

But they have a job cut out for them if they are budget challenged?

Brown, Jon Brow
9th February 2007, 20:52
I've just found an old picture I did (2004 I reckon)

I think that TD should adopt this liverey.

cos
9th February 2007, 20:58
I've just found an old picture I did (2004 I reckon)

I think that TD should adopt this liverey.

Only if there are enough coloured pencils to cover the whole car...

Brown, Jon Brow
9th February 2007, 21:03
Only if there are enough coloured pencils to cover the whole car...

It ws supossed to be the old BAR Honda livery on a touring car :laugh: