PDA

View Full Version : Biodiesel for BTCC?

LiamM
1st February 2007, 14:08
http://www.crash.net/news_View~t~Biodiesel-engine-under-development-~cid~10~id~142703.htm

Seems quite interesting if they can pull it off! Wasn't Rick Kerry looking at diesel for the 1-Series?

VkmSpouge
1st February 2007, 16:59
In the BTCC.net report the press release says that Scott Racing planning to enter there own diesel powered car this year and slowly increase the amount of bio-diesel they use throughout the year. I wonder what car?

LiamM
1st February 2007, 17:28
Best bet as a test bed maybe something like an Astra Coupe

100%hondafan
1st February 2007, 18:09
is this anything to do with rick kelly ?

or is this another project ??

LiamM
1st February 2007, 18:14
Reading the BTCC.net article it makes it a bit clearer, its a project run by Scott Racing Ltd, they race their own car

Robinho
2nd February 2007, 13:00
i thought form the crash.net article that they were developing an engine, probably for teams to use, i didn't realise they had plans for their own car.

i would imagine it would be of interest to Rick Kerry, i hope he's come accross the same info, as it stands he will be the only Diesel entry, so if its going to get into the BTCC this year i imagine thats the only way

Rover V8
2nd February 2007, 17:22
i thought form the crash.net article that they were developing an engine, probably for teams to use, i didn't realise they had plans for their own car.

i would imagine it would be of interest to Rick Kerry, i hope he's come accross the same info, as it stands he will be the only Diesel entry, so if its going to get into the BTCC this year i imagine thats the only way

Could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if this has got anything to do with Rick Kerry's project.

If I remember rightly, his car is being built up from BMW Motorsport shells and parts- they basically supply a complete kit for the 1-series diesel (they're raced in the VLN endurance series in Germany amongst other places) the same way they do with the customer S2000 BMWs.

I'd be very surprised if he uses anything other than BMW Motorsport-sourced engines

m0rk
2nd February 2007, 17:47
I've hoped for a while that someone would consider running diesel. I know the S2000D rules are a bit restrictive (using an OE type turbo) which rules out most of the manufacturers, but as BMW have bigger capacity engines, it stands to reason they could use one of them in the rules (I think)

it'll be interesting to see how it goes, given the economy won't be noticeable really.... but since marketing is half of BTCC, they'll get plenty of it even if they're last

SEATFreak
2nd February 2007, 20:18
Means diddly squat probably but it is nice to see Country Durham, a local county, want to become part of the BTCC's drive to use bioethanol.

Does anyone think the 62k grant from the DTI will be enough?

Captain VXR
2nd February 2007, 20:20
Biodiesel not bioethanol. I think they have their own money aswell and probably have sponsorship.

Iain
2nd February 2007, 20:42
Maybe they don't have sponsorship. But the publicity from this story may well help. That's why there are a lot of "we intend to enter" stories around this time of year, because it generates interest from potential sponsors.

LiamM
2nd February 2007, 20:58
I don't think DTi grants of 62k would be splashed about unless there is a high probablity of the thing actually coming to fruition, will probably receive backing from EEMS especially if Techspeed aren't running bioethanol this year

tdb
2nd February 2007, 21:06
Does anyone think the 62k grant from the DTI will be enough?

62k might be enough to produce 1 maybe 2 engines!

But it is absolutely, definately not enough to enter the BTCC!!!!!

Alfa Fan
2nd February 2007, 21:07
Its about £200k minimum for a season isn't it?

100%hondafan
2nd February 2007, 21:12
62k wont be enough to devlop the engine though! will need alot more $$

tdb
2nd February 2007, 21:13
That's just to drive a car!
buying one and then running it with a new engine development will be substantially more!

thompp
4th February 2007, 23:25
For a non-bio petrol engine I've heard itsb about £120K to develop a new engine than £30K for each copy. So thats £210K for 4 engines for a season.