PDA

View Full Version : Rossi extends Yamaha deal to end of 08!!

tha_jackal
1st February 2007, 12:24
Rossi has extended his Yamaha contract untill the end of the 2008 season!! This is very good news for the fans and the sport in general, but i wonder if this ties in with some kind of spondership deal?????

from crash.net

"In something of a surprise move, Yamaha has announced that superstar Valentino Rossi has extended his current MotoGP contract until the end of 2008.

The news terminates any speculation that the Italian, whose five-year reign as premier-class champion came to an unexpected end at the hands of Nicky Hayden last season, will switch to rallying or any other form of motorsport at the end of this year - when his previous contract had been due to expire.

'The Doctor', who has won a total of seven world titles in the 125cc, 250cc, 500cc and (990cc) MotoGP classes, turns 28 this month and currently stands third in the all-time grand prix winners list heading into the first year of 800cc racing. Rossi is also one of the most popular and highly paid motor-sportsmen in the world.

"I'm very happy I renewed the contract with Yamaha until the end of 2008 so now I can just concentrate on racing this season," said Rossi, suggesting that the early contract extension was done to avoid the kind of publicity that surrounded his proposed F1 switch during 2006. "I think that last year, when we fought back from what seemed an impossible situation to come so close to taking the title, showed what a fantastic team we are and this is why I want to stay with Yamaha.

"The past three years with Yamaha have been very positive and this is why I am pleased to stay. The atmosphere in our garage is always relaxed and happy and I think that this is something very special and difficult to find," added Valentino, who sensationally left Honda for Yamaha at the end of the 2003 season. "I have great faith in Yamaha and I am very excited about my future and the future of the 800cc bike with them. We are ready to challenge with the new 800cc and now this agreement gives us the chance to launch this challenge for the next two years."

fatman
1st February 2007, 14:33
I think you're right Jack, I won't be surprised if a sponsorship deal is announced soon.

leopard
2nd February 2007, 02:15
This news answer speculations that he'll leave motogp after 2007 season ends, there's no reason why would he leave Yamaha in such highly paid and positive feedback all he got there.

What main sponsor most possibly will back him up in Yamaha?

maxu05
2nd February 2007, 10:36
I think that many sponsors would be put off by a one year deal. I think that the new sponsor would have made it a condition of their contract with the team that Rossi stays for 2 seasons. Perhaps a little more money went to Valentino for him to sign for 2 years. Maybe Rossi had been thinking of this when he only signed for 1 year towards the end of 2006 ?

ChrisS
2nd February 2007, 21:06
The Rossi Yamaha situation is a bit disappointing for me.

I am a Rossi supporter and I love Yamaha so I'm happy they are staying together but I honestly think this association can be damaging for Yamaha in the long run.

Everything in the team seem to depend on Rossi. Yamaha will be totally lost if Rossi leaves the team

fatman
3rd February 2007, 01:52
Everything in the team seem to depend on Rossi. Yamaha will be totally lost if Rossi leaves the team

Nah, they still have Edwards :p

ChrisS
4th February 2007, 03:05
Edwards is also there because of Rossi. He is there to help develop the bike and tyres and take as many points as possible away from the other riders to help Rossi.

I believe he was Rossi's personal choice far a team mate

fatman
4th February 2007, 03:48
Yeah, i was half joking. Without Rossi, Edwards would have less appeal to Yamaha. I agree, he is the ideal team mate for Rossi. He has tons of experience and can probably assist a great deal with development. He's not really in contention for the championship (or hasn't been anyway) but he is fast enough to get in the way of riders who are. I think he also knows and accepts his role. As he said in Faster "I want to win, but common we're racing motorcycles, how cool is that!" ( paraphrase )

leopard
5th February 2007, 04:13
The Rossi Yamaha situation is a bit disappointing for me.

I am a Rossi supporter and I love Yamaha so I'm happy they are staying together but I honestly think this association can be damaging for Yamaha in the long run.

yeah, each bright side always have dark side, it looks like dependency of Yamaha on Rossi, but nowadays without Rossi i doubt Yamaha will ever be the winning team :)

tha_jackal
5th February 2007, 05:39
yeah, each bright side always have dark side, it looks like dependency of Yamaha on Rossi, but nowadays without Rossi i doubt Yamaha will ever be the winning team :)

My tip is, when Rossi does finally call it quits, (hopefully no time too soon) Yamaha will pick up a 250cc gun. Someone like Lorenzo, De Angelis, Aoyama even Dovizioso. Remember, talent doesnt end at the premier class and while Rossi will be extremely hard to replace, theres always new talent coming through. Alvaro Bautista's performance in 125cc last year was Rossi-esque. I wouldnt be surprised if Yamaha even sought after him from 2008 and beyond..

NinjaMaster
5th February 2007, 10:54
Edwards is also there because of Rossi. He is there to help develop the bike and tyres and take as many points as possible away from the other riders to help Rossi.

I believe he was Rossi's personal choice far a team mate
I think Colin is actually there because no one else wanted to be Rossi's teammate! :D Seriously, Yamaha are screwed without Vale or more importantly, Jerry Burgess.

leopard
9th February 2007, 02:55
I think Colin is actually there because no one else wanted to be Rossi's teammate! :D

:D :D