PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Grand Prix thread!

Ranger
17th September 2008, 13:12
First ever F1 night race coming up. Based on Ferrari's poor form in lower temperatures, I'll hazard a guess and say that McLaren will be the better car. I hope Kubica does a HH Frentzen and come from nowhere to close the gap to Felipe and Lewis. :up:

As for the race itself, I am expecting a white elephant like Valencia ( :mad: ! )to prevent disappointment (this can't fail!).

Some pictures: http://www.maioli.com/singapore/index.html
http://www.maili.com/singapore/Imaggine3.jpg
http://www.maili.com/singapore/Imaggine4.jpg
There will also be an electronic flag system.

Long range forecasts predict rain (again!) as the GP will apparently catch the end of the monsoon season, which will be all the more interesting under lights!

F1boat
17th September 2008, 14:14
If it is wet, I hope that Vettel win win again :) In the dry, based on Valencia, I hope that Ferrari will win.

mstillhere
18th September 2008, 06:49
Rain? At nigth? I truly hope that the race be cancelled. Otherwise it would be either the longest race ever seen in the histpry of F1 or it would be a massacre.

mstillhere
18th September 2008, 06:56
Here you have the track:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5YZRdpUr8Y

Rollo
18th September 2008, 07:19
Rain? At nigth? I truly hope that the race be cancelled. Otherwise it would be either the longest race ever seen in the histpry of F1 or it would be a massacre.

hear hear :up:

The absolute craziness of 2008 is that F1 will be running on a street course which they have never seen before and in the dark, conditions which they have never run before and are ill-equipped to do so.

When you consider that on average it rains in Singapore for more than half the number of days in the month every month and has a 50% chance of thunderstorm in September when the GP is, this is a recipe for disaster. What ****in moron thought that one up? Bernie Eccleston.

F1 needs someone like Stewart especially when the management has it's head wedged so far up it's own date that to clean it's teeth... eeewww

If the likes of Zandvoort was removed because it was too dangerous, and Hockenheim was castrated for the same reason, then why pray tell run F1 at night?
It's mad I say... mad. It's madder than mad, it's madder than Mad Jack McMad - the winner of last year's Mr Madman competition.

Storm
18th September 2008, 07:51
I am under the impression that it normally rains in the early evenings in Singapore/Malaysia (having been to Malaysia I can say its true) but it clears up after that quick shower.

Hopefully its NOT a wet race under lights on a tight street track....all the lighting and reflections on track in the spray would make it really dangerous.

They showed the track on SportsCenter Asia a few days ago, and mentioned that it has 2 bridges, one of which is quite narrow.

CNR
18th September 2008, 07:58
http://www.newscenter.philips.com/about/news/press/20080818_formula_one.page
Formula One™ first - Philips to light Singapore night race

http://www.newscenter.philips.com/shared/assets/newscenter/2008_pressreleases/F1_7_small.jpg

truefan72
18th September 2008, 08:10
if it's lit well then its going to be fine.

Nascar runs at night
Lemans runs at night
other series stage night races

the whole track is going to be lit up like a Christmas tree. Its not ass if thety are running spa at night or drivers won't have the same reaction time than otherwise. I dare say running Singapore at night is about 10 times safer than running monza in the rain :)

ok off to check the pictures and links

ShiftingGears
18th September 2008, 08:53
If the likes of Zandvoort was removed because it was too dangerous, and Hockenheim was castrated for the same reason, then why pray tell run F1 at night?

Because the circuit is safe?

leopard
18th September 2008, 09:30
Because they pay more?.

Donney
18th September 2008, 10:07
Let's not say the circuit it is not safe until we get to see the cars running and hear what the drivers think, they are the ones who will know first hand.

I just hope it is a good race and keeps us glued to the seat.

I say welcome to Singapore! (and hopefully it won't turn into Singapour ;) )

PolePosition_1
18th September 2008, 10:19
hear hear :up:

It's mad I say... mad. It's madder than mad, it's madder than Mad Jack McMad - the winner of last year's Mr Madman competition.

I think its all commercial reasons. Hockenheim was cut down to create more grand stands, so we got more people in. So I would say there a consistant trend of going for money.

Still, I must be honest, its original for F1 and I'm excited about it, should be fun. If it rains will be even better.

mstillhere
18th September 2008, 14:16

Nascar runs at night
Lemans runs at night

the whole track is going to be lit up like a Christmas tree. Its not ass if thety are running spa at night or drivers won't have the same reaction time than otherwise. I dare say running Singapore at night is about 10 times safer than running monza in the rain :)

ok off to check the pictures and links

It's not just racing at night there is a strong chance that it would be raining. If that's a big issue during the day time why is it ok at night?

Racing at night with artificial lighting + rain= disaster

Rollo
19th September 2008, 04:51

Nascar runs at night
Lemans runs at night

NASCAR are enclosed bodied cars which do not run in the rain.
LeMans are cars equipped with lights.
Other series are usually not open wheeled, and would usually have lights on them.

A formula one car is an open wheeled, open cockpit car; without headlights fitted. Considering that the size of the rear mirrors is basically about the same as a playing card and that you have a 19,000rpm monster behind the cockpit, how do you honestly expect the drivers to be aware of anyone else's existance? We've had 15 pages of debate about moving over on someone during the daytime, and that was bad enough.

A typical rain street race usually results in only about half the field making it home, what happens at night?

Valve Bounce
19th September 2008, 05:33
I am under the impression that it normally rains in the early evenings in Singapore/Malaysia (having been to Malaysia I can say its true) but it clears up after that quick shower.

Hoping this follows Rollo's post which is relevant, "quick shower" as mentioned by Storm is not the same as quick shower as we know in other parts of the world like Europe. I have lived in Malaysia and also passed through Singapore , and I can vouch that quick or not quick shower can be something bloody frightening if you are driving. The heavens open up, water cascades down, and you can see nothing through the windscreen, let alone an open car.
The whole track will be one gigantic aquaplane surface, and the only recourse is to stop all cars in their tracks on the track. They might limp back to the pits at around 10 kph if they are lucky.

The safety car would be of no use whatsoever, if it managed to get onto the track at all.

Then, of course, there is the matter of lightning :eek: which can complicate matters further.

aryan
19th September 2008, 05:38

Perhaps you are not aware that races are capped at 2 hours?

gloomyDAY
19th September 2008, 06:46
Perhaps you are not aware that races are capped at 2 hours?Substitute agonizing in place of long.

Yes, this race has the potential for disaster, but I think we should be optimistic in terms of safety. Unfortunately, I sense another European Grand Prix in the making. Yawn fest headed our way everybody. Time to catch some z's!

ShiftingGears
20th September 2008, 02:40
It'll be safe - I think challenging or difficult would be the best adjectives for a wet Singaporean Grand Prix.

Anyway - I think McLaren will have the edge, considering how they work their tyres is advantageous in cold/wet conditions, and have their revolutionary front wing. Unless Ferrari magically hit the sweet spot during their final tests - which I doubt. If it's a crash fest then it's anyones guess who'd win.

Personally I'd like to see Kubica win and close in on Massa and Hamilton, or Alonso or Webber win.

Valve Bounce
20th September 2008, 04:34
I'd like to see a wet race and Vettel winning again; now that would really set the cat among the pigeons.

call_me_andrew
20th September 2008, 05:32
It's not just racing at night there is a strong chance that it would be raining. If that's a big issue during the day time why is it ok at night?

Racing at night with artificial lighting + rain= disaster

This is racing at night with artificial lighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYegikwwTGQ

It's only a disaster if you're leading.

Let's list a few other series that race at night.

IndyCar Series
NHRA
MotoGP
World of Outlaws
USAC

Andrewmcm
20th September 2008, 15:34
NASCAR are enclosed bodied cars which do not run in the rain.
LeMans are cars equipped with lights.
Other series are usually not open wheeled, and would usually have lights on them.

A formula one car is an open wheeled, open cockpit car; without headlights fitted. Considering that the size of the rear mirrors is basically about the same as a playing card and that you have a 19,000rpm monster behind the cockpit, how do you honestly expect the drivers to be aware of anyone else's existance? We've had 15 pages of debate about moving over on someone during the daytime, and that was bad enough.

A typical rain street race usually results in only about half the field making it home, what happens at night?

Champcar ran a few races at night on street courses with reasonable success. They were, what, 750bhp monsters at the time? Funnily enough, no-one died and most of the field made it home.

If it rains in Singapore then sure the pace car will be out and/or the race will be postponed/abandoned/generally considered rubbish. But otherwise it'll be fine. Just because F1 has never raced under lights before doesn't mean that a) it's dangerous or b) it's a stupid idea.

Bagwan
20th September 2008, 16:16
Nobody knows what this thing will be like .
It will be interesting to see .

If it does rain , with some reports saying the evening is a likely time of day for showers , it begs wonder how hard it will be .
A friend from Singapore has told me of how it rains there sometimes . It sounds like the front wings may be underwater within half a lap if it comes down like it can .
We might expect a stoppage , but it may be short , as he also spoke of how the deluge can begin and end in short order .

So , if it does rain , and it isn't too hard , how will they cope under the lights ?
If it's at all like my experience on the roadway , proper lighting can make all the difference .
Seeing intermittently from the relative dark into the illuminated light ahead may be somewhat more tiring for the eyes , but it is possible that it will make it so one can see the car ahead better in the spray , as the lights will be focussed down on the cars .
Headlights on cars often serve better as markers for others of the car's position , as the light projected by the beams reflects back at the driver .

That said , it might be a good addition to the cars , if night racing is to continue , to put marker lights on all four corners .

We may see drivers using the brightness to advantage in overtaking moves as well , if we're lucky , and they're crafty .

It might be as bad for TV as it is good for the drivers though , and as such may be a one-off . I can't imagine the camera's getting much picture in the mist .

It's going to be interesting .

markabilly
20th September 2008, 19:05
No need to watch--Kimi will win,

Forget what anyone says! This is why I love Kimi:I don’t know what time the race is. Is it in the evening? Good. I enjoy evenings and night time more anyhow. I like to sleep until noon every day so for me this seems the perfect venue. I am more awake in the evenings than in the mornings.

:laugh: I guess he just found out that the race at Singapore is at night.

"I like to sleep until noon every day so for me this seems the perfect venue"

That explains it

I was wrong. :( so sorry....
--I thought he had ADD!!!

My guess would be more like to sleep in until about 1:15 pm, then wakes up enough to set fast lap and get out of the car....

He should win, no problem @ singaport. If not, he can always drink a port...

mstillhere
21st September 2008, 00:42
Perhaps you are not aware that races are capped at 2 hours?

No, i was not. thank you for reminding me

mstillhere
21st September 2008, 00:44
It'll be safe - I think challenging or difficult would be the best adjectives for a wet Singaporean Grand Prix.

Anyway - I think McLaren will have the edge, considering how they work their tyres is advantageous in cold/wet conditions, and have their revolutionary front wing. Unless Ferrari magically hit the sweet spot during their final tests - which I doubt. If it's a crash fest then it's anyones guess who'd win.

Personally I'd like to see Kubica win and close in on Massa and Hamilton, or Alonso or Webber win.

Rain fest, crash fest. What happened to F1? You know, that sport where you see cars racing?

mstillhere
21st September 2008, 00:47
This is racing at night with artificial lighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYegikwwTGQ

It's only a disaster if you're leading.

Let's list a few other series that race at night.

IndyCar Series
NHRA
MotoGP
World of Outlaws
USAC

If it going to rain it will be a disaster and you know it too.

call_me_andrew
21st September 2008, 05:27
Here's some footage of go-karts racing at night. It's a shame I couldn't find video from the previous year. Lots of rain then!

http://motorrev.klipz.tv/view_video.php?viewkey=d9fe611d5a8e90fefdc9

ShiftingGears
21st September 2008, 07:36
What happened to F1? You know, that sport where you see cars racing?

Well, TC was banned for 2008 onwards and it has led to more spectacular racing.

mstillhere
21st September 2008, 14:35
Well, TC was banned for 2008 onwards and it has led to more spectacular racing.

That's the irony. You would think, for safety sake, now that the TC is gone you would try to schedule races that don't push the envoloppe too much. And instead? No TC and the race is going to be:

1. At night
2. Most likely in the rain
3. In a very narrow track with two very narrow bridges

If that's not the perfect storm I don't know what it is.

If someone dies I would definetely arrest the two old guys - who are definetly losing it - for murder. It's as simple as that.

Ranger
21st September 2008, 14:57
That's the irony. You would think, for safety sake, now that the TC is gone you would try to schedule races that don't push the envoloppe too much. And instead? No TC and the race is going to be:

1. At night

If someone dies I would definetely arrest the two old guys - who are definetly losing it - for murder. It's as simple as that.

Sheesh talk about over-reacting! Quit the doomsday speculation and look at facts here.

1. The circuit is fully lit with a small countries energy supply.

2. Rain is more difficult to drive in, yes the drivers have less control. However, speeds are also lower.

Riddle me this... when was the last time any driver, if any, has been killed in wet conditions?

3. Narrow track. Hmm. I suppose you want Monaco banned as well? Seriously, the FIA are strict with safety. Why do you think they roped in Tilke for this? Furthermore, why do you think they have stewards and a race director?

Tallgeese
21st September 2008, 15:18
I'm no fan of street circuits & less so of night-racing. If it were up to me, every race would be on purpose-built circuits & street racing would be limited (if at all) with perhaps Monaco being the only exception.

mstillhere
21st September 2008, 15:32
Sheesh talk about over-reacting! Quit the doomsday speculation and look at facts here.

1. The circuit is fully lit with a small countries energy supply.

1. Don't agree. Racing in the rain is bad enpugh witht the day light. Imagine with artificial light.

Rain is more difficult to drive in, yes the drivers have less control. However, speeds are also lower.

Hence it's not more racing. It's watching a train of cars going around for two hours.

Riddle me this... when was the last time any driver, if any, has been killed in wet conditions?

I have seen, and maybe you too, cars losing control and piling up one on top of the other. While that would make the show (not the racing) more "exciting" pilots could die in those pile ups.

Narrow track. Hmm. I suppose you want Monaco banned as well?

Excellent example. We have seen what happenes in Monaco in the rain. This is going to be, if it rains of course, way worse than that. And since you asked, yes IMO Monaco should be cancelled for good. I love to see cars passing each other. Not lined up like in a parade.

Seriously, the FIA are strict with safety. Why do you think they roped in Tilke for this? Furthermore, why do you think they have stewards and a race director?

I truly hope I am wrong and I am over reacting. If that were to be the case nobody would get hurt and everybody would have fun. However, if I am predicting it right, then...well you can come up with your own conclusion.

Azumanga Davo
21st September 2008, 15:42

1. At night

Also, the Large Hadron Collider is coming after you! ;)

gloomyDAY
21st September 2008, 20:23
Di Montezemolo:

The drivers are concentrating on what needs to be improved and on the next grand prix in Singapore. But I have the impression that it's another track where you can't overtake, Valencia-style. To go on with these circuits spells an ugly future for Formula One.Finally, a team principal with some huevos.

call_me_andrew
22nd September 2008, 06:12
Hence it's not more racing. It's watching a train of cars going around for two hours.

Excellent example. We have seen what happenes in Monaco in the rain. This is going to be, if it rains of course, way worse than that. And since you asked, yes IMO Monaco should be cancelled for good. I love to see cars passing each other. Not lined up like in a parade.

LMAO! Watching a train of cars going around for two hours! I should show this to everyone on the NASCAR forum. They'll never believe a Formula 1 fan said that!

Monaco in the rain was great this year. I loved watching the cars tip-toe their way through the Grand Hotel Hairpin.

Also, the drivers are a lot less likely to go single file in the rain. They'll have to get out of line not only to avoid spray but keep their tires wet as the track dries.

I remember watching that first NASCAR race in the rain, and the commentators were worried about what would happen when the water would hit those glowing red brake discs. Do you know what happened when they started racing in the rain? The brake discs never got hot enough to glow, let alone be damaged by rain water. The moral of the story is that the worst case scenario never happens. The Titanic could have had less lifeboats, the first atomic bomb could have ignited the Earth's entire atmosphere, and we could all be killed by a comet at any moment.

ShiftingGears
22nd September 2008, 07:01

1. At night

Complete overreaction. They have engineers who design F1 circuits to be as safe as possible, I would trust their analysis of a circuit far more than someone who knows next to nothing about circuit design. It has a narrow bridge - so what? Monaco is narrow. Macau is narrow. Bathurst is narrow. That doesn't make it more dangerous, it just makes it harder to pull off a successful pass.
No-one will die.

christophulus
22nd September 2008, 09:14
The drivers are concentrating on what needs to be improved and on the next grand prix in Singapore. But I have the impression that it's another track where you can't overtake, Valencia-style. To go on with these circuits spells an ugly future for Formula One. (Di Montezemelo)

I admit, I'm not predicting that this race is going to be a classic... this year. I think next year, with cars redesigned to actually allow overtaking, it should be a lot better. It's Ferrari's (and everyone else's!) fault that there's little overtaking, due to the characteristics of the cars.

I have no problem with street circuits, would they prefer 20 identical, soulless Tilke tracks?

cosmicpanda
22nd September 2008, 09:50
It seems to be generally accepted that rain + lights = OMG can't see a thing, but I'm not sure that it will be that way.

Certainly it might turn out to be dangerous, but I would like to give the people who designed the lighting system the benefit of the doubt and see how it works, first.

Azumanga Davo
22nd September 2008, 11:18
Remember, if it does rain, you still have high intensity rainlights on the back of cars.

My opinion on the visibility, if the lights are as good as they make out, I can't see it being much different to an afternoon rain race.

ioan
22nd September 2008, 11:42
Also, the Large Hadron Collider is coming after you! ;)

Nah, it's been shut down for some time because of all kind of glitches! :p :

555-04Q2
22nd September 2008, 11:45
I would love to know what contingency plan there is if there is a power failure and the circuit loses its lights while the drivers are racing. Could be fatal if it happens as the cars have no lights at all.

ioan
22nd September 2008, 11:47
Honestly, I don't think that driving in the rain on a well lit road usually isn't a problem.

Last time I was on a well lit highway in the rain it was almost like during the day, I couldn't even see the difference when I changed between short and long lighting. And I imagine that the circuit will be provided a way better lighting than the Highway around Vienna.

Still I'm against races in Asia being held at night, simply because those are the races that I enjoy most, waking up early in the morning, and being alone in front of the computer, without the GF wanting me to go out in the sun and so on!
I would vote to have all races at 6 AM CET. :D

cosmicpanda
22nd September 2008, 12:20
Ioan, shift to someplace like New Zealand, European races are at midnight. The solitary experience is quite similar.

I have found it intriguing that often the weather outside my window matches those at the circuit - ie. raining or not.

MrJan
22nd September 2008, 13:02
I would love to know what contingency plan there is if there is a power failure and the circuit loses its lights while the drivers are racing. Could be fatal if it happens as the cars have no lights at all.

I'd imagine that it'll be run off several seperate power sources so that, if one were to go down there would still be power. Nonetheless it's a very scary thought.

call_me_andrew
23rd September 2008, 05:12

Each generator powers six light towers, and no two consecutive towers are powered by the same generator.

A lot of drivers prefer to race at night. Since they can't see the fans, they're less likely to be distracted.

555-04Q2
23rd September 2008, 06:35
Each generator powers six light towers, and no two consecutive towers are powered by the same generator.

A lot of drivers prefer to race at night. Since they can't see the fans, they're less likely to be distracted.

I can relate to that as my company manufactures large generators for corporate businesses. Hope the systems are in order.

leopard
23rd September 2008, 06:51
Yeah we hope so, we are not in time to hope moonlight as now approaching to the closing day of this month.

PolePosition_1
23rd September 2008, 09:00
I can't believe people are complaining of it being too dangerous, surely this is the wrong sport for you. One of the main elements of F1 is the danger at racing at 200mph against other cars. Danger is part of F1.

Belgium 1998, a classic grand prix, on a classic track in huge rain. Fuji, another classic race covered in rain.

I hope its pouring down and conditions are as impossible as they can be without red flag needed.

ShiftingGears
23rd September 2008, 09:24
Well, you'll need rain to make a circuit full of 90 degree corners interesting.

Dave B
25th September 2008, 09:13
Good simulation from Red Bull here:
http://www.redbullracing.com/4th-Sector/Webber-Singapore/

I notice that the Toro Rosso has greater straight-line speed ;)

PolePosition_1
25th September 2008, 09:28
Good simulation from Red Bull here:
http://www.redbullracing.com/4th-Sector/Webber-Singapore/

I notice that the Toro Rosso has greater straight-line speed ;)

Great link Dave.

Dave B
25th September 2008, 09:49
Live-ish rain radar can be found here:
http://app.nea.gov.sg/cms/htdocs/mss5.asp

It updates every 12-14 minutes. Tick the "landmark" box and the track is at "City Hall / Esplanade".

As I type there's light rain right above the track!

MrJan
25th September 2008, 10:13
Under that grandstand is going to be hangingly loud, I would not want to attempt that 61 times, even with ear plugs and the engine behind.

ioan
26th September 2008, 11:49
First twilight F1 practice starting in a few moments and it looks like the track is still dry.

ioan
26th September 2008, 11:50
For whatever reason Kubica is wearing a head light on his helmet! :laugh:

ioan
26th September 2008, 11:54
Wlliams and Rosberg checking radio connection around the track.

ioan
26th September 2008, 12:21
Webber bins it at the entry of the grandstand passage.

MrJan
26th September 2008, 14:14
No racing but interesting to see (and hear) the track from a distance. The light being generated is crazy :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBSQqdAIuBA

gloomyDAY
26th September 2008, 16:21
The novelty of a night race wore off quickly. There aren't any passing opportunities.
I can already see myself yawning on Sunday!

MrJan
26th September 2008, 16:25
Vettel in car if anyone is interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erd4J74P5Zc

The track is like daylight but everything else looks dark and difficult to pick out. Obviously TV won't do it justice and a compressed Youtube video certainly won't but interesting nonetheless.

I was watching another video with Canadian/American/Australian/Some kind of English speaking but not English commentators and one was harping on about how difficult it was coming from Italy to Singapore and having to do a night race. I believe the words were "They're coping with an 8 hour time difference and on top of that they have to race at 10:30 at night!!!". I think the whole maths of the thing escaped him and he didn't realise that they basically didn't bother with changing sleep patterns and, with the exception of the dark, it is basically early afternoon to them.

Sarah
26th September 2008, 16:27
Watched some of practice. Seemed a bit like they could have been anywhere - hopefully watching the race on TV with all the build up i'll be reminded they are in Singapore.

aryan
26th September 2008, 16:40
seems boring and bland.

don't hold your breath for any overtaking.

MrJan
26th September 2008, 16:53
It's F1, when does anyone expect overtaking????!!!! :p :

Sarah
26th September 2008, 17:03
Quite a lot of them went "off track"

ioan
26th September 2008, 17:58
No racing but interesting to see (and hear) the track from a distance. The light being generated is crazy :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBSQqdAIuBA

The CO2 quantity generated is even more amazing. not that Bernie would care about it. :\

ioan
26th September 2008, 18:07
Watched both FP today. The track is poor, stop and go style, lots of 90 degree turns :s , with a few chicanes (at one of them you can go straight through :rolleyes: ).
Straights are way to short for overtaking. The small bridge is way to narrow for F1 standards, if during the race 2 cars go over it side by side than a SC is in the cards!
TV coverage is very poor, they keep showing us the surroundings, but its all dark! :D
Also seeing Hamilton's helmet and how he is turning his steering wheel for a few laps while not seeing where he is going was simply boring, and I would say the same even if it was one of the Ferrari drivers.

Had to laugh when one of the marshalls was trying to stop Webber's RBR brakes using a fire extinguisher! :rotflmao:

Overall a nice comedy, but expecting a processional race unless it rains during the qualifying or race or both.

BTW, well done Alonso for posting the days fastest lap time. :up:

truefan72
26th September 2008, 19:35
It was fine and the track looks technically challenging. I'm not too sure about the overtaking opportunities, but I will reserve judgment until I see the race.

I know a lot of folks are enthralled by the nigh racing and it does look very nice on camera, especially the backdrop of the city. But it is not such a novelty to us here in the states that have seen many a race run at night. But it was nice to see and all the cars looked nice and shiny ;)

I would have liked to see the glowing brakes though. Tough to notice with the wheel covers.

My only real gripe and I feel it's fairly serious, is the location of the pit exit. It too short and to close to the ideal racing line, making it a tricky situation for both those exiting and those approaching that turn. I really feel they should do something about it before the start of FP3

ArrowsFA1
26th September 2008, 20:34
Formula One race director Charlie Whiting has been asked to consider making overnight improvements to the Singapore Grand Prix track amid concerns from drivers about the lighting, bumps, and pitlane entry and exit.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70889

call_me_andrew
26th September 2008, 21:17
I didn't see practice but this looked informative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxHbQCROTYg

truefan72
26th September 2008, 21:25
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70889

lighting and bumps are negligible. They looked fine to me.
Those drivers need to get used to it a bit more, ask all those IRL/Cart/Lemans/DTC guys about bumps. The lighting is fine and is probably better than in rainy conditions or overcast.

the pit entry is fine, the exit is the one I think can/should be addressed. Other than that,these drivers need to stop their complaining. Raise the car a bit higher so you don't have the planks smashing on the surface. I remember seenig the same plank debris in Turkey and France.

wedge
26th September 2008, 23:17
I think it looks great. I don't care if the race will be dull the lighting is great with the backdrop.

People should quite complaining. It's been a great season great races so you'll end up with boring races sooner or later just like any sport. Can't expect every race to be great, just like every football game aren't great.

The drivers are loving it.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=44080

Just don't mess with the track overnight.

mstillhere
26th September 2008, 23:56
It's F1, when does anyone expect overtaking????!!!! :p :

That's because more and more tracks chosen for racing are city tracks. No passing is to be expected. It's the new F1, the slower the better.

mstillhere
26th September 2008, 23:59
I think it looks great. I don't care if the race will be dull the lighting is great with the backdrop.

People should quite complaining. It's been a great season great races so you'll end up with boring races sooner or later just like any sport. Can't expect every race to be great, just like every football game aren't great.

The drivers are loving it.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=44080

Just don't mess with the track overnight.

This has been a "great" season thanks to the rainy races and the scandals. As for as racing is concerned I am not that excited.

PSfan
27th September 2008, 00:09
I just finished watching my PVR of 2nd practice, and wow, I think this race is gonna be something special... doesn't hurt that I have this feeling that Hamilton and Massa are gonna tangle...

nigelred5
27th September 2008, 00:12
It looks fantastic under the lights. I imagine it would actually look quite boring in the daylight. I love night racing. Everything is more spectacular at night. Nothing better than a saturday night shootout. Unfortunately, it ends up being on later Sunday morning than every other F1 race. Everyone will be awake by the time the race is winding up.

Lalo
27th September 2008, 00:58
I've been watching some of the pictures of today's practice. Do the drivers have flashlights attached to their helmets??

Here's a pic of Robert Kubica. Take a look at those headlights
http://www.autosport.com/gallery/photo.php/id/115270

Shifter
27th September 2008, 10:37
The pit exit is the most extraodinarily potential crash-producing exit I have ever seen! Have fun guys!

ioan
27th September 2008, 11:18
I've been watching some of the pictures of today's practice. Do the drivers have flashlights attached to their helmets??

No, Kubica was the only one wearing one of those (at least I didn't see any of the other drivers wearing them).

Tonieke
27th September 2008, 12:30

makes me wonder what the purpose is ?

elinagr
27th September 2008, 12:43
practice: Raikkonen stop on the track.. someone who knows if he crash?

nigelred5
27th September 2008, 12:50
makes me wonder what the purpose is ?

Having trouble seeing things on the wheel with the shadows or a subtle display of humor?

Did anyone catch the piece with Whitmarsh when the Mclaren mechanics mounted rally lights to the cross-over wing?

ShiftingGears
27th September 2008, 12:50
Alonso fastest by 6 tenths! Looks like he's going to be one to watch in qualifying.

Dave B
27th September 2008, 12:53
Yet again Alonso pops in a mega-quick lap right at the end when up until then he could only manage 15th. Morale-boosting low-fuel run, anyone? :laugh:

No idea yet why Kimi and Fisi are showing as stopped, but if Kimi has any car problems that almost certainly spells the end of his title ambitions.

ioan
27th September 2008, 13:04
Did anyone catch the piece with Whitmarsh when the Mclaren mechanics mounted rally lights to the cross-over wing?

There's a 2 page long thread over it.

edv
27th September 2008, 13:34
Re Fisi and Kimi...
Fisi smacked his front-end at the big kerbs on turn 10
Kimi got caught on an escape road and could not turn around...no damage.

VkmSpouge
27th September 2008, 15:58
Great lap by Felipe Massa to take pole position in Singapore. A complete barnstormer.
Lewis Hamilton was in a lot of trouble in that second session but he managed to get his head on straight for the third part of qualifying. Good to see the two championship contenders starting on the front row of the grid.
Shame to see Fernando Alonso's car fail like that, he could have got a decent qualifying position. Nice to see Button actually making past the first part of qualifying.

As for the track itself, I think it looks great at night and it is wonderful to see the F1 cars having to go over bumps and sliding because of them, a better spectacle than seeing the cars on the heavily manicured, smooth as glass tracks that are around. I hope this track races well, we'll find that out tomorrow.

ArrowsFA1
27th September 2008, 16:05
Great lap by Felipe :up: With Lewis 2nd things are set up for a great race.

Dave B
27th September 2008, 16:12
That was indeed an awesome lap from Massa. If he can keep that form going into Sunday there's every chance he'll leave Singapore leading the championship.

52Paddy
27th September 2008, 16:37
Really solid lap from Massa. He is really sharpening up as a driver and delivering more consistent results. Hamilton was so off today, particularly in Q2. Still ended up with a good grid slot but I don't think he'll match Massa tomorrow. Kimi could be one to watch if he calms down a bit. Vettel and the BMWs will be in contention if the top guys falter.

Though I feel so bad for Alonso. What a kick in the nuts for him after what has already been a dismal year, probably the worst in his career.

jens
27th September 2008, 16:49
Felipe - the King of Qualifying! :cool:

Hamilton's last lap wasn't maybe perfect, but a nice comeback after troubles in Q2, when he narrowly got through. A bit better quali-performance by Räikkönen than usual. Kovalainen looked better in the first two sessions - heavier fuel load in Q3? It looks like Heidfeld has got rid of his Q-problems and in the last three qualis has been at least a match to Kubica.

Vettel looked set for a higher position than P7 for most of the quali. Glock - :up: considering Toyota's difficulties this weekend on a bumpy road. Disappointed with Trulli, only a blinding start (like at Spa 11th -> 4th) can help him back into points contention without the help of SC. Williams quick on a street circuit as usual. And finally a small praise to Kazu too - for the first time ever he has reached Q3. :up:

What are the rain predictions for tomorrow? Before the weekend there has been a lot of talk about it.

mstillhere
27th September 2008, 17:10
Great lap by Felipe :up: With Lewis 2nd things are set up for a great race.

Great race? I don't know if everyone would agree with you :)

Tonieke
27th September 2008, 17:44
almost perfect lap of Felipe...Lewis recoverd well in Q3....if Fernando not had his probs he would have been out though and start from 11th on the grid !

Let's see what the strategies will be... +0.6 secs difference between N° 1 and the rest might make one believe Felipe will have to come in a couple of laps sooner than the others...and end up in traffic due to it....we'll see ! Start will be very important !

jens
27th September 2008, 17:57
Alonso-Alonso... I understand the disappointment here (an underdog being a possible threat), but I personally can't feel sorry for him, because Toyota is having a very serious fight with Renault in the WCC standings. :p : But Alonso is Renault's only hope and can never be underestimated. Safety car (or rain) may still turn the race in his favour!

pettersolberg29
27th September 2008, 18:03
I didn't get to see the quali, so could someone tell me the predicted fuel loads for top 6 in the race, and what people think their chances are due to fuel (i.e. is lighter better?)

Lalo
27th September 2008, 18:34
Oh no, Fernando...

Damn fuel pump.

Robinho
27th September 2008, 19:18
great lap from Felipe, very ragged from Lewis, a few questions still remaining, but from that Felipe looks very good, i'd hope they are closer on race pace, or on slightly different strategies and that we can see a good race, but i am very impressed with Massa, as the pressure ramps up he seems to be getting better, which is not the way i expected things to go

ShiftingGears
27th September 2008, 23:17
Well done Felipe. I'm disappointed in Alonso's car breaking at a crucial time, if it doesn't rain then he won't be in contention.

Awful circuit.

aryan
28th September 2008, 00:12
e Toyota is having a very serious fight with Renault in the WCC standings. :p : But Alonso is Renault's only hope and can never be underestimated.

To be fair though, the two teams are not exactly on even grounds. Toyota has two drivers vs. Renault's one ;)

mstillhere
28th September 2008, 00:44
Great race? I don't know if everyone would agree with you :)

Alonso was very upset not because his car broke down. He was upset because he realized that by breaking down he saved Lewis from 11th position in Q2. In other words, Alonso did Lewis a BIG favour. I personally don't know if I would have been able to survive something like that :)

mstillhere
28th September 2008, 00:47
almost perfect lap of Felipe...Lewis recoverd well in Q3....if Fernando not had his probs he would have been out though and start from 11th on the grid !

Let's see what the strategies will be... +0.6 secs difference between N° 1 and the rest might make one believe Felipe will have to come in a couple of laps sooner than the others...and end up in traffic due to it....we'll see ! Start will be very important !

So Alonso did Lewis a favour? :)

truefan72
28th September 2008, 00:52
Massa seems awfully light and I suspect more than a 3 lap gap between he and LH. In fact I think both Mac's are a bit heavy IMO. Could work out to their advantage if there is traffic, a SC situation and rain. I believe Massa/Ferrari gambled on the race being identical to Valencia and then absolute need for P1 on the grid.

We will see tomorrow how things turn out and I do suspect a SC period and trouble in in the first turn ( especially with DC and towards the back of the field as all those guys are going to get bunched up)

superocean
28th September 2008, 01:10
i'm begining to think that Kimi might try to overtake Lewis if he thinks lewis is running heavy. Team orders or not, I think I'm going to root for kimi to take the lead after the pits stops are all done.

mstillhere
28th September 2008, 01:53
Massa seems awfully light and I suspect more than a 3 lap gap between he and LH. In fact I think both Mac's are a bit heavy IMO. Could work out to their advantage if there is traffic, a SC situation and rain. I believe Massa/Ferrari gambled on the race being identical to Valencia and then absolute need for P1 on the grid.

We will see tomorrow how things turn out and I do suspect a SC period and trouble in in the first turn ( especially with DC and towards the back of the field as all those guys are going to get bunched up)

Not according to this: http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=44093

Dave B
28th September 2008, 09:07
I'm not seeking to make excuses for Lewis becuase once again his Q2 performance was ropey and it was only him driving the car; but it's interesting to note that for the second meeting in a row the FIA chose to "randomly" weigh his car during the 15-minute session, costing him valuable track time.

Surely these checks should be done between sessions?

Tonieke
28th September 2008, 09:49
So Alonso did Lewis a favour? :)

I would not go that far ! ;-)

donKey jote
28th September 2008, 10:52
Renault were running Alonso so light that the fuel pump couldn't cope.. so it was Flav's boys who did Lewis a favour :p :
:mad:
:dozey:
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

ArrowsFA1
28th September 2008, 11:27
Not according to this: http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=44093
"We haven’t gone silly to try and get the pole position" doesn't really give us any clue whether Felipe is lighter or not. He certainly had a big margin over Hamilton, but we'll see when it's time for the first pit stops how much, if at all, fuel load was a factor. Whatever, it was still a superb lap.

elinagr
28th September 2008, 11:47
kimi will make a move on the start to pass Hamilton, it will be ''i pass or we crash''.

AndyRAC
28th September 2008, 13:33
Oh dear......

....poor Massa!
The green light came on, bring back the lolipop man.

What was funny was the mechanics running down the pit lane, cheered on by the McLaren mechanics.

jens
28th September 2008, 18:00
I was wondering, why Trulli was so damn slow in the beginning, and it turned out he had clearly the heaviest fuel load of all. Yet his pace was never quite satisfying and couldn't keep the pace of Rosberg, when he had heavier fuel load.

It looks like the usual wave of Trulli's season-end unluck has started. Zeros from three consecutive races, in all of them unluck has played part - gearbox damage in Turn1, weather against strategy and now a car failure - as in all cases he has been forced to step down from promising positions. :( I'm afraid 26 will remain his total score by the end of the season...

call_me_andrew
28th September 2008, 22:26
I thought it was a very good race. My only gripe is that I didn't expect it to last 1 hour 57 minutes. My VHS tape stopped with 4 laps to go.

Ranger
29th September 2008, 00:17
Solid race, quite a marathon too. A quick review:

- If anyone other than Fernando* had won then I would have been a bit annoyed because of that safety car rule. As it was, Fernando was desperately unlucky in qualifying and benefited massively, though of course he couldn't have done it without being quick all weekend

- Kimi was looking on fire until the pitstop changed everything. Usually you see 1 fastest lap before a pitstop when he set about 5 in a row and was chewing into Felipe and Lewis. As it was, he made a street circuit error from 5th and no points for Ferrari today. If it is any consolation, he equalled the record for most fastest laps in a season yesterday.

- Speaking of which, they need to get a new pit system. They also need to stop shooting themselves in the foot time after time with their errors and mechanical failures. McLaren are taking command there.

- By the way, where was Kovalainen?

- Why was Jarno 5-6 seconds a lap slower than anyone else? and didn't Toyota realise that he couldn't possibly have spent 30 laps on the option tyre?

- Why were the stewards so slow in penalising Rosberg and Kubica? it was obvious they entered the pitlane. In waiting 5 laps or more, they actually gave him an advantage out of the whole situation.

- A pretty random race, certainly entertaining but very, very wierd. A good 4/5 from me.

* Funny how Mark's car picks his best outing of the year to kick the bucket. He was on for second at least. :(

ShiftingGears
29th September 2008, 00:32
I was wondering, why Trulli was so damn slow in the beginning, and it turned out he had clearly the heaviest fuel load of all. Yet his pace was never quite satisfying and couldn't keep the pace of Rosberg, when he had heavier fuel load.

It looks like the usual wave of Trulli's season-end unluck has started. Zeros from three consecutive races, in all of them unluck has played part - gearbox damage in Turn1, weather against strategy and now a car failure - as in all cases he has been forced to step down from promising positions. :( I'm afraid 26 will remain his total score by the end of the season...

He was five seconds a lap slower than the leaders, which was frankly, dreadful. Surely the track doesn't discriminate between different fuel loads that much. First time I've seen the Trulli train in quite a while :p :

Glock was impressive.

Massa and Raikkonen got &#^$ed. Kimi was driving magnificently and could've had a sensational victory if there were no safety car. As it was, they didn't, and Kimi made an error that lesser drivers did not make at the chicane. Which was disappointing. Massa was also driving excellently - not quite as well as Kimi, and after the mishap, drove like a frustrated man.

aryan
29th September 2008, 01:42
I thought it was a very good race. My only gripe is that I didn't expect it to last 1 hour 57 minutes. My VHS tape stopped with 4 laps to go.

VHS!!??? :confused: :eek:

Wow, I didn't know anyone still used them!

aryan
29th September 2008, 01:44
- By the way, where was Kovalainen?
(

Sleep. As usual.

I'm losing patience with this guy. He might be just 0.3 off Hamilton's pace in a single lap, but he just doesn't have race craft.

ioan
29th September 2008, 07:20
Kovalainen, did he drive at all yesterday? :confused:

When I said he was the worst McLaren driver in ages I should have said that in fact he is the worse ever McLaren driver.

ArrowsFA1
29th September 2008, 08:10
Heikki:
"I made a good start and was going to pass Kubica round the outside at the first two corners. Unfortunately he touched me and almost spun me around. My underfloor was slightly damaged as a result. I lost momentum and two cars overtook me. When the Safety Car came out and the pitlane was opened a couple of laps later, Lewis and I came in and I had to wait behind him until it was my turn. It then was a strange race and most of the time I was in traffic with no overtaking chances. Halfway through the race I had brake problems and had to conserve them until the finish.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70989

Ranger
29th September 2008, 08:24
Heikki:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70989

He'd need a pretty good excuse for his recent anonymity too.

ShiftingGears
29th September 2008, 08:42
I was hoping for an Alonso-Webber one-two, which would've been brilliant. Shame his car broke, again.

jens
29th September 2008, 09:55

When I said he was the worst McLaren driver in ages I should have said that in fact he is the worse ever McLaren driver.

Ever? Well, do you seriously think Michael Andretti is/was better than Kovalainen? :p : Heikki has at least scored a decent amount of points (well, more than half of Lewis' points!) while Michael's point-score percentage relative to Ayrton was clearly smaller.

Garry Walker
29th September 2008, 17:07
Ever? Well, do you seriously think Michael Andretti is/was better than Kovalainen? :p : Heikki has at least scored a decent amount of points (well, more than half of Lewis' points!) while Michael's point-score percentage relative to Ayrton was clearly smaller.

Hamilton is no Senna and McLaren has often been the quickest car of the field this year.
McLaren in 1993 was never the fastest car in any GP.

F1boat
30th September 2008, 07:26
And besides, Michael's problem IMO is mental. He is a good driver IMO. I rate 42 wins in Indy/Champ more than Heikki's lonely victory.

ioan
30th September 2008, 08:45
And besides, Michael's problem IMO is mental. He is a good driver IMO. I rate 42 wins in Indy/Champ more than Heikki's lonely victory.

When you think about the way Heikki was gifted his only victory than it's even more obvious.

F1boat
30th September 2008, 10:02
Well, I think that a win is a win, because he was there to benefit form Ferrari's poor reliabilty, but yes, it is not a glorious victory.