PDA

View Full Version : Massa Changed Engine before Race

truefan72
14th September 2008, 17:38
So I understand that Ferrari changed Massa's engine while in parc ferme.

There is a rule that states each team is allowed to change their engine once without penalty. But I believe the rule was put into place if they found something is wrong with the engine, and not as Ferrari say, if they merely suspect it might have a problem in the race. So Massa got a new engine for the race.

Oh and the engine was supposed to have been inspected. Instead, they changed it and used the rule in it's mos liberal sense. I wonder if there is a rule stating that if your engine is supposed to be inspected, and it is changed, that engine would still be inspected. perhaps nothing, perhaps something. But interesting to note anyway.

Daniel
14th September 2008, 18:05

There is a rule that states each team is allowed to change their engine once without penalty. But I believe the rule was put into place if they found something is wrong with the engine, and not as Ferrari say, if they merely suspect it might have a problem in the race. So Massa got a new engine for the race.

Oh and the engine was supposed to have been inspected. Instead, they changed it and used the rule in it's mos liberal sense. I wonder if there is a rule stating that if your engine is supposed to be inspected, and it is changed, that engine would still be inspected. perhaps nothing, perhaps something. But interesting to note anyway.
Clear and undisputable evidence of FIA bias against McLaren! :p

Sleeper
14th September 2008, 20:50
Does bring up an interesting precident. Does anyone know if Hamilton has made his free engine change yet?

ioan
14th September 2008, 22:22
Does bring up an interesting precident. Does anyone know if Hamilton has made his free engine change yet?

He didn't.

ioan
14th September 2008, 22:25

Jut to clarify a bit your somewhat confused post. The engine that he used in Valencia and Belgium was going to be inspected, in fact it should already have been inspected by the FIA before the Italian GP.

So, we are talking about 2 different engines!

truefan72
14th September 2008, 22:30
sorry I read in Eursport that the engine was going to be looked at after the parc ferme. Could this be different than a full blown inspection where they seal it and send it off?

I just found it interesting that's all. I really wasn't aware of that free engine change rule. But fond the timing and the reasons given a bit odd. They said they changed it because they though it might not perform, not that they actually found a defect or something. If they calibrated the engine wrong is that something that allows for an engine change?

Tonieke
14th September 2008, 22:33
Jut to clarify a bit your somewhat confused post. The engine that he used in Valencia and Belgium was going to be inspected, in fact it should already have been inspected by the FIA before the Italian GP.

So, we are talking about 2 different engines!

yep they did..and he was given all clear...But are these engines only checked ones in a season ? I mean..they check Massa's engine before Monza...and right after that engine is checked they replace it by a new one ? so FIA basicaly checked an engine that's no longer in use...will this new engine also get an inspection ?

ioan
14th September 2008, 23:03
sorry I read in Eursport that the engine was going to be looked at after the parc ferme. Could this be different than a full blown inspection where they seal it and send it off?

I just found it interesting that's all. I really wasn't aware of that free engine change rule. But fond the timing and the reasons given a bit odd. They said they changed it because they though it might not perform, not that they actually found a defect or something. If they calibrated the engine wrong is that something that allows for an engine change?

I also found it bizarre that they needed to change an engine after running only a practice session and a qualifying, all of them in the wet.

Ferrari better take their fingers out of their behinds and start producing the goods needed to support a WDC contender, otherwise they are going to lose both titles.