PDA

View Full Version : Best interviews ever !

Bagwan
13th September 2008, 16:12
That was great .
Vettel thanked everyone , and was the perfect , humble , sincerely excited , team player today , and I want all the other drivers to take note .

All three of them showed what I like to see in a driver .

All three , but especially Vettel , went up 10 notches on the scale today , in my view .

Nice job , boys .

yodasarmpit
13th September 2008, 16:35
Bah, boring, I want to see someone with a bit of attitude and cockiness.

We need Eddie Irvine back :D

Azumanga Davo
13th September 2008, 17:17
We need Eddie Irvine back :D

That we certainly don't. ;)

BDunnell
13th September 2008, 17:47
No, we don't. There's a big difference between being a **** and being a character, even if the two are easily confused by some.

Daniel
13th September 2008, 18:39
That was great .
Vettel thanked everyone , and was the perfect , humble , sincerely excited , team player today , and I want all the other drivers to take note .

All three , but especially Vettel , went up 10 notches on the scale today , in my view .

Nice job , boys .

I was going to start a thread saying that this is exactly what I like seeing in a driver. If you watch it again you'll see that Vettel was talking about the car, the road, the team and keeping the references to him and how great he is and so on to a minimum.

He was so genuine and so good to watch. So unlike Lewis and some other drivers (not necessarily F1 drivers) you see in interviews. Lets hope Vettel has a good car underneath him next year and can bang in some solid results.

Was really impressed with Bourdais as well. On a really attrocious day he kept is all together and put in a good result. I do hope the Red Bull's do well tomorrow.

BDunnell
13th September 2008, 18:47
I was going to start a thread saying that this is exactly what I like seeing in a driver. If you watch it again you'll see that Vettel was talking about the car, the road, the team and keeping the references to him and how great he is and so on to a minimum.

But so obviously delighted and loving every minute of it, too.

When criticising Hamilton for being boring in interviews (and he is), remember that he knows nothing else in F1 than being in the limelight and driving for a big, PR-savvy team. It's no surprise that he should be the way he is.

Daniel
13th September 2008, 19:06

When criticising Hamilton for being boring in interviews (and he is), remember that he knows nothing else in F1 than being in the limelight and driving for a big, PR-savvy team. It's no surprise that he should be the way he is.
I agree with that. But he's not forced to be arrogant :) Kimi and Felipe are hardly the most interesting people in interviews but at least they're not into shameless self promotion :)

Call me boring but I like the Sebastien Loeb interview style. He's just beaten his rivals by a huge amount on yet another stage and has a huge lead and all he says is "Alright it was OK" and he looks like he's geniunely enjoyed things. Never a bad or negative thing to say about the other drivers. The Rautenbach incident for example is a great example of this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVquNLNDZdQ the perfect gentleman :up:

If there was anyone who could be going out with broad statements like I'm much better than Mikko on gravel or I'm cooler than Latvala it's Seb and he doesn't do it.

It takes a certain driver to come out and have a tinge of arrogance yet come across well. Someone with a bit of a sparkle in their eye and Lewis just isn't that person. I think Lewis is the sort of person who should stick to driving and say as little as possible to the media.

markabilly
13th September 2008, 19:15

Boring????that ain't exactly the word I would use. Indeeed, I am always curious as to what he will say next about how much better he is then {name whoever}. Indeed, the pr savvy seems to be a bit weak......

truefan72
13th September 2008, 19:55
what a load of pompousness,

just come out and say that your bashing Hamilton.

As I recall in every interview, he thanks his team, the fans and plenty of folks around him for doing a "fantastic" job (a word I would like to see retired from all F1 drivers lexicon)

If LH said what Vettel said, you guys would perceive it as arrogant for him to thank the other 19 drivers for "behaving" themselves out there and making it good for him to secure pole. Or that he hoped it would rain, because if it did he knew he would be going for pole.

c'mon let's be honest here. Perception is based on your attitude towards the driver. What vettel said was as reasonable an assessment of his skills and talents as Hamilton or any other driver would have said.

And as an aside. What I like to see in a driver is performance, results, pace and guile, with how they conduct themselves in the press conference, far far far down my list. I'm watching racing not a PR contest.

Daniel
13th September 2008, 19:57

As I recall in every interview, he thanks his team, the fans and plenty of folks around him for doing a "fantastic" job (a word I would like to see retired from all F1 drivers lexicon)

If LH said what Vettel said, you guys would perceive it as arrogant for him to thank the other 19 drivers for "behaving" themselves out there and making it good for him to secure pole. Or that he hoped it would rain, because if it did he knew he would be going for pole.

c'mon let's be honest here. Perception is based on your attitude towards the driver. What vettel said was as reasonable an assessment of his skills and talents as Hamilton or any other driver would have said.

And as an aside. What I like to see in a driver is performance, results, pace and guile, with how they conduct themselves in the press conference, far far far down my list. I'm watching racing not a PR contest.
Ah crap I've been sprung! I've got nothing more to do with my life than hold a grudge against Lewis Hamilton. Now I just need to work out why I'm biased. Is it because he's black, drives for McLaren or isn't in a Ferrari :confused:

ioan
13th September 2008, 19:57
That was great .

Nice job , boys .

There's a real champion in the making there!
The guy just broke the record for the youngest pole sitter and he was so humble, I did appreciate his attitude a lot! :up:
I hope one day Vettel will get in a top machine, hopefully a Ferrari.

Excellent thread Baggy! :)

janneppi
13th September 2008, 19:59
Now I just need to work out why I'm biased. Is it because he's black, drives for McLaren or isn't in a Ferrari :confused:

No, it's because he's British. ;)

ioan
13th September 2008, 20:02
c'mon let's be honest here. Perception is based on your attitude towards the driver.

Yep it is, and given that we aren't so in love with Lewy we see it different than you do! :p :

truefan72
13th September 2008, 20:08
Ah crap I've been sprung! I've got nothing more to do with my life than hold a grudge against Lewis Hamilton. Now I just need to work out why I'm biased. Is it because he's black, drives for McLaren or isn't in a Ferrari :confused:

well you said it not me.

you see what you want to see in Hamilton, and in Vettel's comments. As I said I'm pretty sure that if he said what vettel said, you would have been all over him.

truefan72
13th September 2008, 20:10
Yep it is, and given that we aren't so in love with Lewy we see it different than you do! :p :

or conversely that you folks are so fueled with contempt for him that you see it differently than I do. ;)

BDunnell
13th September 2008, 20:25

ioan, does this 'view' (I won't honour it with the word 'opinion') have to come up whenever anyone says something that isn't openly critical of Hamilton? As I have said to you what seems like hundreds of times, change the record.

Daniel
13th September 2008, 20:32
I forgot that one too ;) Which is EXACTLY why I've lived with a Brit for the last 2 and a bit years in Britain :p

ioan
13th September 2008, 20:37
ioan, does this 'view' (I won't honour it with the word 'opinion') have to come up whenever anyone says something that isn't openly critical of Hamilton? As I have said to you what seems like hundreds of times, change the record.

Got nothing better to contribute than picking on me?! :rolleyes:

jens
13th September 2008, 20:44
I liked Vettel's interview a lot too. His constant rise in the F1 world has been remarkable, I can't wait to see him in a top team. :)

Bagwan
13th September 2008, 21:23

Touchy , touchy , Truefan .
If you'll notice , I didn't mention anyone else but the three in the conference , when I praised Sebastien and his cohorts .

It was , and still is an example of doing it right .

And , as an aside , belittling the thread and it's author by intimating that he cares more for the press conference than the racing is a bit weak , isn't it .
PR is a part of the job , and Vettel did it well .

He also did well in qualifying . Did you hear ?

wedge
13th September 2008, 23:00
I think you guys are way over top. Most drivers thanks his team after a good day.

Most NASCAR fans thought Kyle Busch was an arrogant punk but other than winning nearly every race, he's earnt deep respect with humility and modesty at the winner's circle.

markabilly
14th September 2008, 00:52
At least he ain't Iatalian....thank you jesus!!

markabilly
14th September 2008, 00:59
best interveiw was given by Kimi at the brazilain swan song for MS, when asked if he saw Pele and Mikey together, and he said, no i was taking a dump....

ShiftingGears
14th September 2008, 01:05
Vettel seems like a good bloke.

markabilly
14th September 2008, 01:29
Vettel seems like a good bloke.

Boring. I would rather listen to Hamster talk about his late braking dance skills...

truefan72
14th September 2008, 03:15
Touchy , touchy , Truefan .
If you'll notice , I didn't mention anyone else but the three in the conference , when I praised Sebastien and his cohorts .

It was , and still is an example of doing it right .

And , as an aside , belittling the thread and it's author by intimating that he cares more for the press conference than the racing is a bit weak , isn't it .
PR is a part of the job , and Vettel did it well .

He also did well in qualifying . Did you hear ?

hmm,
first of all I'm not sure what special privileges are afforded you for being the thread author, but that's an aside.

Second, there were a few people who did mention him by name and it was them that I was speaking to. But that being said, lets not fool ourselves in what was implied. I didn't see you jump up and correct Daniel or the others for invoking Hamilton's name and stating to them that this was about the "3 in the press conference" and nobody else.

Third and I do stand my assertion that I care more about performance than PR management and if you see my statement about how I feel and what I value in a driver to me as belittling to you then you're probably the one with the thin skin.

This is what I said "And as an aside. What I like to see in a driver is performance, results, pace and guile, with how they conduct themselves in the press conference, far far far down my list. I'm watching racing not a PR contest."

jeez if you feel that's a personal attack belittling you then I wonder how you have any conversation on this forum. c'mon Bagwan, let's not play the virtuosity card when we both know what's going on.

This ins't the first press conference given by a driver and your attributes provided are pretty much what the LH detractors accuse him of lacking.

oh and if you did read the other threads, I've heaped plenty of praise on Vettel today and in the past.
:)

truefan72
14th September 2008, 03:17
I think you guys are way over top. Most drivers thanks his team after a good day.

Most NASCAR fans thought Kyle Busch was an arrogant punk but other than winning nearly every race, he's earnt deep respect with humility and modesty at the winner's circle.

:up:

Bagwan
14th September 2008, 19:01
hmm,
first of all I'm not sure what special privileges are afforded you for being the thread author, but that's an aside.

Second, there were a few people who did mention him by name and it was them that I was speaking to. But that being said, lets not fool ourselves in what was implied. I didn't see you jump up and correct Daniel or the others for invoking Hamilton's name and stating to them that this was about the "3 in the press conference" and nobody else.

Third and I do stand my assertion that I care more about performance than PR management and if you see my statement about how I feel and what I value in a driver to me as belittling to you then you're probably the one with the thin skin.

This is what I said "And as an aside. What I like to see in a driver is performance, results, pace and guile, with how they conduct themselves in the press conference, far far far down my list. I'm watching racing not a PR contest."

jeez if you feel that's a personal attack belittling you then I wonder how you have any conversation on this forum. c'mon Bagwan, let's not play the virtuosity card when we both know what's going on.

This ins't the first press conference given by a driver and your attributes provided are pretty much what the LH detractors accuse him of lacking.

oh and if you did read the other threads, I've heaped plenty of praise on Vettel today and in the past.
:)

Of course I knew where the thread would go , but , that in itself is a testament to the point .
PR is important , and Lewis is not doing well in that department , in my view .

Neither is Kimi , for that matter , but he never was very good with a mike .
But , with Kimi , it's the "Yes , I sink so" , and few words otherwise that makes the interview short .
A man of few words , in his postion , is regrettable , not despise-able .

With your Lewis , there are threads about his balls .

Today , you even had Vettel making fun of Lewis , mentioning balls in the interview .

Lewis does need to talk about something when they are always shoving a mike in his face . It's a part of his job .
Just a touch more humility and you have a near perfect package , Mr. Fan .

markabilly
14th September 2008, 19:20
Humble in victory and proud in defeat goes a long way,so thanks Mr. Vettel, but I am thankful Hamilton does not follow that rule, otherwise I would have very little to use for posts.....

truefan72
14th September 2008, 22:23
Of course I knew where the thread would go , but , that in itself is a testament to the point .
PR is important , and Lewis is not doing well in that department , in my view .

Neither is Kimi , for that matter , but he never was very good with a mike .
But , with Kimi , it's the "Yes , I sink so" , and few words otherwise that makes the interview short .
A man of few words , in his postion , is regrettable , not despise-able .

With your Lewis , there are threads about his balls .

Today , you even had Vettel making fun of Lewis , mentioning balls in the interview .

Lewis does need to talk about something when they are always shoving a mike in his face . It's a part of his job .
Just a touch more humility and you have a near perfect package , Mr. Fan .

To me all this talk about humility etc, is a case of trying to get LH to be somebody he is not to make many people out there "comfortable" with him being the star he is. It is symptomatic of what people want to see out of black stars, especially trailblazers. They have to show humility, they have to show that they are thankful for every day they are allowed to drive/ perform, etc. If the black star emotes character or hubris, it is deemed arrogance and unsporting. As if the legions of drivers who preceded him in history up to the present who emote the same sentiments he does, or the same confidence in their ability are somehow legendary fighters and held in the pantheons of greatness, while he gets lambasted for being assertive and most often backing it up. Folks are sometimes not yet comfortable seeing or rooting for the trailblazer who breaks the barriers and rises to the top, shattering a perceived glass ceiling, while exuding confidence and prowess in doing so.

TBH that too me is the underlying and pervasive attitude towards LH. Some of you and that includes you Bagwan,(before you go nuts) may purely not like him based on his perceived cockiness without a hint of undertones. But a good number, just by the way I see it exhibit the former.

It is the same with Barack Obama here in the US. He's got to be twice has good, and nice and PC so that the masses can see him as acceptable ( despite being a Harvard & Columbia grad with a stellar record and astute judgment). Yet still some see him as "arrogant" or elitist based on nothing more than the fact that he's smarter and achieved more than many of them and stands at the verge of becoming the president.

LH faces the same issues in a different way, as Tiger woods did earlier in his career, Arthur Ash did ack in the day and probably the first exceptional woman will when she enters the sport.

sorry to go off on a rant here.

I didn't hear Vettels comments so I will reserve judgment until I read them. But as I recall LH was catching him up from p15 and if the team didn't foolishly go for the tire change, we would all be talking about an amazing victory from down the grid and a great 2nd place and first podium for Vettel/STR.

ioan
14th September 2008, 22:49
But as I recall LH was catching him up from p15 and if the team didn't foolishly go for the tire change, we would all be talking about an amazing victory from down the grid and a great 2nd place and first podium for Vettel/STR.

Yeah sure, IF's and BUT's all the way, the Hamilton way! :laugh:

Daniel
14th September 2008, 22:53
truefan stop bringing the colour of his skin into it all the time! Nobody here actually cards about the fact that Lewis is black.

BDunnell
14th September 2008, 22:54
Yeah sure, IF's and BUT's all the way, the Hamilton way! :laugh:

Having buried the hatchet with you earlier, the sheer relentlessness of your negativity and sniping is becoming rather trying again. Could you desist for a day or two?

BDunnell
14th September 2008, 22:56
It is the same with Barack Obama here in the US. He's got to be twice has good, and nice and PC so that the masses can see him as acceptable ( despite being a Harvard & Columbia grad with a stellar record and astute judgment). Yet still some see him as "arrogant" or elitist based on nothing more than the fact that he's smarter and achieved more than many of them and stands at the verge of becoming the president.

While I agree with you about Obama, and feel that there is still more racism in society than many would like to believe, I don't think this comes into it as far as Hamilton is concerned, even amongst those who seem for whatever reason to detest him.

ioan
14th September 2008, 23:13
While I agree with you about Obama, and feel that there is still more racism in society than many would like to believe, I don't think this comes into it as far as Hamilton is concerned, even amongst those who seem for whatever reason to detest him.

I really don't like Lewis Hamilton the person, but that has nothing to do with race or skin color.
And for those who are wondering, I like his racing, just got a problem with his pony! ;)

aryan
15th September 2008, 02:13
I really don't like Lewis Hamilton the person, but that has nothing to do with race or skin color.
And for those who are wondering, I like his racing, just got a problem with his pony! ;)

ioan, about 70% to 80% of all your recent posts is just anti-hamilton comments.

I understand why you dislike him as a person, and you have valid reasons for that. Generally, I also like reading your comments, you bring a certain passion to the forum, and your input into technical areas are insightful.

But please let go of him for a day or two. It gets rather tiring reading all these posts.

pino
15th September 2008, 06:47
I tought this thread was about Vettel...how about we keep Hamilton off here ? :rolleyes:

truefan72
15th September 2008, 16:18
I tought this thread was about Vettel...how about we keep Hamilton off here ? :rolleyes:
sorry pino, we got carried away.

Bagwan
15th September 2008, 18:08

It's OK , Pino .
It was fair to bring Lewis into it .
He's a fair example of an interview that gets people up in arms .

Another example , and perhaps someone from whom Hamilton can learn , is Mika , who with help from his team , learned to communicate well with the public . When we started to see him on the podium the interviews wer almost painful . It was like talking to a stick .
Then we began to see his sense of humour .

Hamilton comes off with a terribly arrogant tone , in my opinion , and it will , and has , bitten him .

And , Vettel has made a great start to his PR career .

ioan
15th September 2008, 18:21
ioan, about 70% to 80% of all your recent posts is just anti-hamilton comments.

Look at the good site of it, it could be 100%! ;)

OK, I'll try to take a break from discussing Hammy from a couple of days. :)

Let's have a nice technical thread!

pino
15th September 2008, 18:27
It's OK , Pino .

No its' not ok, there are enough threads about Lewis, where you can praise or criticize him, we don't need to talk about him in every single thread. And this thread is about Vettel...

Sorry :)