PDA

View Full Version : Team GB (as opposed to the Home Nations)

Rollo
12th September 2008, 07:28
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7611621.stm

Former Scotland manager Craig Brown applauded Peat's stance, telling BBC Sport: "We must oppose a GB team.

"It's the thin edge of the wedge. If we go as GB, you'll find there will be no Scotland in years to come. They will quickly get rid of us and it will be a GB team for the World Cup and European Championship."

I could have thrown this into the football discussion but this is a wider discussion than just football.

At the Olympic Games Team GB is made of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. But in other sporting realms the world is very different.

When it comes to football, the Home Nations are split though Channel Islanders through agreement are elligible to play for any of the Home Nations.
In Rugby the nations of Scotland, Wales, Ireland (who play all together), France and Italy come together in a spirit of unity by stuffing it up the English.
And in those most noble of passtimes it is the England and Wales Cricket Board, whilst Scotland and Ireland each have their own Cricker Boards.

I guess I'm asking about the convaluted marriages of convenience when it comes to the UK and sport and your opinions in relation to that. Is Team GB a good thing because it adds to the potential pool of talent, or would we all rather be separate?

Azumanga Davo
12th September 2008, 07:49
Separate is better. If you united the lot, then there would be so many people going for even less spots in the team.