PDA

View Full Version : Does Kyle Busch have a chance to make it to F1?

FIA
8th September 2008, 15:24
I read in Autosport Magazine that NASCAR driver Kyle Busch is going to test driver a Toyota F1 car at Fuji later on this year. He said he would like to move to F1 full time before he is 30 (he is currently only 23). I have watched his in NASCAR and he is especially good at the road courses, he has won at Watkins Glen and Ifineon this year, and he is (or was) leading the championship.

My question to you is does Kyle Busch have a chance to make it to F1?

wedge
8th September 2008, 15:35
I read in Autosport Magazine that NASCAR driver Kyle Busch is going to test driver a Toyota F1 car at Fuji later on this year. He said he would like to move to F1 full time before he is 30 (he is currently only 23). I have watched his in NASCAR and he is especially good at the road courses, he has won at Watkins Glen and Ifineon this year, and he is (or was) leading the championship.

Search this on the NASCAR forum. Its been covered already.

ATM its just a PR stunt. I wouldn't take it too seriously unless Toyota bankrolled rolled his open wheel career.

Jag_Warrior
9th September 2008, 00:38

I think he has a chance. I'm not sure how realistic a chance, but he certainly has an immense amount of raw racing talent. I don't believe that he's ever even sat in a high horsepower open wheel formula car, or any formula car as far as I know. But he has that talent. And it's legitimate talent, unlike Danica Patrick, who is more about hype than legitimate talent, IMO.

Of the two F1 tests that will take place shortly (Busch and Patrick), I expect his to be the one which demonstrates whether or not there's anything to be gained by further testing. Personally, I don't see him leaving NASCAR, especially if he wins the title this year. To his fans, and maybe him, I don't think F1 is seen to be any bigger pond than NASCAR Sprint Cup. Right or wrong, I think that's the perception. F1 is no more popular than the IRL in the U.S. (slightly less so, if you track the Nielsen TV ratings when both are on network TV). IMO, if Toyota F1 wanted him, they'd first have to convince him to do a year or so of GP2, so that he'd actually be prepared for the rigors of F1. I don't think he'd do that. Even if he could jump straight into F1, I question whether or not he'd drive for a midpack team like Toyota F1, when he's found success with a top team like JGR (Toyota) in NASCAR. I think Toyota would be content to have Busch take their brand to the biggest racing prize in U.S. racing, so I doubt they'd push it.

Rollo
9th September 2008, 01:11

Shall we ask him?
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12433_3585247,00.html

"We'll take the Cup car over there, too, I think. Just kind of run around there at either Twin Ring (Motegi) or something like that and show them what the Cup cars are like and try to get in the Formula 1 car, too."
However, only time will tell whether or not the test will lead to an F1 future for the up-and-coming American star, with Busch saying: "We'll see how good I test, first.
We'll see if my neck can withstand the g-forces of the braking and everything. I wouldn't mind it.
If I can do it and I'm good at it then I'll give it a shot and try it."
However, commenting on F1 as a spectacle, Busch added: "It seems as though their racing isn't all that great - they kind of get stuck in line and the aero takes over everything."

Hark! Is that Satan skating to work?

Roamy
9th September 2008, 05:32
no he does not have a chance

call_me_andrew
9th September 2008, 07:20
He has displayed excellent car control. It may be a demonstration test, but if he does well enough he may turn some heads and get an actual test.

Of course...
http://www.pianomahnn.com/images/beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

F1boat
9th September 2008, 08:11
I think that he should focus on the Sprint Cup series, as Jimmie Johnson has become pretty ominous recently. If he wins the series, I don't know...

Mickey T
9th September 2008, 08:32
no.

Tallgeese
9th September 2008, 19:45
Simply put, no way.

jens
9th September 2008, 20:57
Almost the only way (with some exceptions) to make it to F1 these days is through European open wheel racing series, so if Kyle Busch has a serious will of getting into F1, he needs to prove himself here. I seriously doubt Toyota F1 Team would hire him straight from NASCAR, which is after all a very different racing discipline.

wmcot
10th September 2008, 06:36
I think that he should focus on the Sprint Cup series, as Jimmie Johnson has become pretty ominous recently. If he wins the series, I don't know...

I think he should focus on turning right!!!!

kalasend
10th September 2008, 15:05
You mean, from racing a car with comparably no down-force to one with max down-force? How do you think he can adapt to 5G's of forward acceleration while braking in a time shorter than 1/3 of what it used to be?

Like Jag_warrior said, he would have to do a year or two in GP2 first. And chances are, he will meet some real butt kickers in GP2 compared to NASCAR.

Oli_M
10th September 2008, 23:16
TBH I don't really see WHY he would want to move to F1. He's a star in the US at the moment and (realistically) can have a top level NASCAR ride for the next 10-15 years. And probably earn more money from that than struggling with Toyota in F1 (and however he gets there).

Those of us in F1 circles may not "get" NASCAR, but similarly the NASCAR supporters in the states dont really "get" F1. Its comparing Apples and Oranges again.

Roamy
10th September 2008, 23:37
I think he should focus on turning right!!!!

actually turning right may turn out to be quite painful. He would do much better turning left

call_me_andrew
11th September 2008, 06:09
TBH I don't really see WHY he would want to move to F1. He's a star in the US at the moment and (realistically) can have a top level NASCAR ride for the next 10-15 years. And probably earn more money from that than struggling with Toyota in F1 (and however he gets there).

Those of us in F1 circles may not "get" NASCAR, but similarly the NASCAR supporters in the states dont really "get" F1. Its comparing Apples and Oranges again.

Top seat in NASCAR vs. Second banana at Toyota F1.

I'd say that pay about the same.

wmcot
11th September 2008, 06:57

More like comparing apples to grits! :)

kalasend
11th September 2008, 08:26

You see, arguments like this are common these days. With all due respect, NASCAR is just not as recognized as F1. Period.

And racing drivers loved to be recognized, I presume? True, it's like comparing apples to oranges but if oranges are only good for less than 5% of the population then perhaps a young, aspirational driver would feel tempted to be among the apples?

DexDexter
11th September 2008, 09:26
What kind of a pedigree does Kyle Busch have in karting? Has he done any junior formulas in the States? Is he in good physical shape? Can someone shed some light into those, cause most of us don't follow Nascar. ( there is no real terrestial free tv-coverage of it in Europe).

F1boat
11th September 2008, 11:20
You see, arguments like this are common these days. With all due respect, NASCAR is just not as recognized as F1. Period.

Not in Europe, in the USA it's the other way.

ChrisS
11th September 2008, 12:54
What kind of a pedigree does Kyle Busch have in karting? Has he done any junior formulas in the States? Is he in good physical shape? Can someone shed some light into those, cause most of us don't follow Nascar. ( there is no real terrestial free tv-coverage of it in Europe).

He is in good physical shape but I dont think he is in "F1 physical shape" but then again other than those already in F1 who is? Even GP2 drivers need to up their training to get to "F1 physical shape"

As for background. I dont think he has any single sitters experience. He comes from a NASCAR family (father used to race and brother is 2004 champion) and always raced stock cars. He made his NASCAR debut at age 16 but NASCAR imposed a minimum age of 18 years for its top divisions so he had to race elsewhere for a while. He started racing NASCAR again when he was 18 and he is doing that ever since.

Breeze
11th September 2008, 18:12
[quote="Oli_M"]TBH I don't really see WHY he would want to move to F1. He's a star in the US at the moment ................quote]

Perhaps in order to earn the honor of mention in the 'same breath' as the likes of Andretti, Foyt, Fangio and other international icons and multi-discipline masters? It'll be hard enough for him to earn the right to mention in the company of the likes of Richard Petty, Dale Earnhardt, etc.

Every once in a while a talent comes along with the ability to be victorious in anything with a steering wheel and four tires. Kyle Busch may be such a talent. Unfortunately, the racing world doesn't mingle the way it once did, so it'll be an accomplishment of major proportions if he manages it.

Big Ben
11th September 2008, 18:31
of course he does... who?

markabilly
12th September 2008, 01:49
Top seat in NASCAR vs. Second banana at Toyota F1.

I'd say that pay about the same.

Wrong, the pay is far higher. JPM is probably making more than the total paid or made by LH, FA and Kim combined.
Busch is making much more than JPM, considerably more..........only MS was topping or about equal to the top ten in Nastycar

So why give that up for a paltry ten or twenty million.....

DexDexter
12th September 2008, 09:46
Wrong, the pay is far higher. JPM is probably making more than the total paid or made by LH, FA and Kim combined.
Busch is making much more than JPM, considerably more..........only MS was topping or about equal to the top ten in Nastycar

And pigs fly.

markabilly
13th September 2008, 03:00

And pigs fly.

MS struggled to make as much as Dale Senior. Nastycar drivers try to keep their income somewhat hidden as it is considered rude to be flashing all the money around...and it might alienate fans who are making $50 per week and spend a couple of month's pay on tickets and booze just on one race

Those fans deserve respect and should not have that big income flashed around. Besides the wife might get pi**Ed and make the fan sleep under the double wide mobile home with the pit bulls, instead of in the home with the 12 kids.....

wmcot
13th September 2008, 08:20
Those fans deserve respect...

Really??? Have you seen them???

markabilly
13th September 2008, 10:51
Really??? Have you seen them???

only by accident, never intentionally

ChrisS
13th September 2008, 14:05

LOL, just to be clear, you say that JPM probably makes more than $80mil a year. How much is Busch's considerably more? 200mil?

Lets get real here

F1's top earning drivers Kimi and FA make $30-$40mil a season. Likewise top NASCAR earners Jr and Gordon also make $30-$40mil a season.

Then there are 6-7 drivers like Tony Stewart JPM, and Kyle Busch that make from $10 to $20mil, about the same as F1's JB, JT and RB make and more than double what LH, Rosberg, Webber etc make. Its likely that the 30th highest NASCAR earner makes more than Piquet Jr, Nakajima and Sutil make.

off course the way Busch is going he has the potential to reach what Jr and Gordon make

markabilly
13th September 2008, 14:33
LOL, just to be clear, you say that JPM probably makes more than $80mil a year. How much is Busch's considerably more? 200mil?

Lets get real here

F1's top earning drivers Kimi and FA make $30-$40mil a season. Likewise top NASCAR earners Jr and Gordon also make $30-$40mil a season.

Then there are 6-7 drivers like Tony Stewart JPM, and Kyle Busch that make from $10 to $20mil, about the same as F1's JB, JT and RB make and more than double what LH, Rosberg, Webber etc make. Its likely that the 30th highest NASCAR earner makes more than Piquet Jr, Nakajima and Sutil make.

off course the way Busch is going he has the potential to reach what Jr and Gordon make

No, busch is probably around a 100 million..... What is interesting is that Dale Sr, was rumored to be making aound 30 million back when the gross income of MS was said to be 50 million to 80 million a year.
Then he dies at daytona, and in the probate papers and stuff, it comes out to be a net yearly income of about 80 million from his racing activities (not including non-racing businesses) plus for about the last six years of his life.

Gordon's income while they tried to keep actual numbers secret in his divorce, was a shade under 90 million several years ago

There is an attitude that top dogs do not "flash the cash" about what they make. And the income is very dependant on sponsor appeal, with the more appeal, the more cash. Sooo....
Make no mistake, JPM is making 10 to 15 times his salary at Mac (which was about 5 million or so, same at Williams while ralfie s. was making about three times more)

call_me_andrew
14th September 2008, 05:07

Actually top NASCAR drivers earn $20-$30mil per season so they're more in the Rosberg/Webber/Truli range.

No, busch is probably around a 100 million..... What is interesting is that Dale Sr, was rumored to be making aound 30 million back when the gross income of MS was said to be 50 million to 80 million a year.
Then he dies at daytona, and in the probate papers and stuff, it comes out to be a net yearly income of about 80 million from his racing activities (not including non-racing businesses) plus for about the last six years of his life.

Gordon's income while they tried to keep actual numbers secret in his divorce, was a shade under 90 million several years ago

There is an attitude that top dogs do not "flash the cash" about what they make. And the income is very dependant on sponsor appeal, with the more appeal, the more cash. Sooo....
Make no mistake, JPM is making 10 to 15 times his salary at Mac (which was about 5 million or so, same at Williams while ralfie s. was making about three times more)

According to Forbes, Earnhardt's estate was only worth $20 million in 2002.

http://www.forbes.com/home/2002/08/12/0812deadintro.html

Please, stop trolling before you hurt yourself.

markabilly
14th September 2008, 14:44
Actually top NASCAR drivers earn $20-$30mil per season so they're more in the Rosberg/Webber/Truli range.

According to Forbes, Earnhardt's estate was only worth $20 million in 2002.

http://www.forbes.com/home/2002/08/12/0812deadintro.html

Please, stop trolling before you hurt yourself.

Ouch!!!!

Amazing what a good tax attorney and proper estate planning can do as to an "estate". Dale's real (not estate tax) interest in his race team was worth far more than that by itself.

Make no mistake, I think the F1 guys over state their earning while the Nascar boys clearly try to do the otherwise. And I am counting their personal sponsorship deals with nascar as part of their earnings and that is where they are making the really big bucks.

JPM was doing good to make over 5 million per year at Mac. And in Nascar, he gets to keep his trophies.......

Face it, I know it is painful for the F1 snobs who think they are the top of the hill for everything, but the money is far better in Nascar, with the guys in the top ten of nascar making far more, than the top ten of F1.

jens
14th September 2008, 16:58

I don't think Rosberg/Webber/Trulli earn 20-30M $ per year? More likely it should be about 10M $ or even less.