PDA

View Full Version : The end or the world as we know it!!!!!

wmcot
8th September 2008, 07:33
I stopped bothering to read the posts on this forum a few months back because I got tired of reading the self-proclaimed experts passing judgments and posing conspiracy theories that suit their own causes. After today's race, I couldn't resist having another look.

Sure enough, the conspiracy theorists and the "I'll never watch another race" whiners are still out in force.

The thing is that some have forgotten that F1 is JUST a sport. It's not life or death. Is there any other sport where a controversial or questionable call has not been made? Name me one and I will watch it forever!

Come on people - the sun will still come up in the morning whether the call was right or wrong! If your favorite doesn't win this year, perhaps next year will be the year. You still have your family, you'll still go to your job in the morning, you'll still have food on the table (unless you bet this month's paycheck on the wrong team!)

I enjoy F1 and a few other form of racing. They're not perfect. My team doesn't always win. Sometimes they get bad calls and sometimes the others do.

I guess the unique thing about F1 is that most of the top teams in the past have either come from the UK or from Italy (i.e. Ferrari.) This has created a huge rift in the F1 fans that if one side is the beneficiary of a questionable call, it must be a "conspiracy." It doesn't even matter which side you are on, the other is absolute evil as far as you are concerned.

I would suggest that some of us might be taking things a bit too seriously when it ruins our moods and we become hostile to our family members because another car manufacturer or driver was declared the winner in a stupid motor race! Ask your husband/wife/parent/ etc. if they are annoyed at your mood swings depending on who wins a race. If it is affecting your life, it has stopped being a form of entertainment and begun taking over your thought process - Not a healthy thing!

F1boat
8th September 2008, 07:44
Nice post, I agree.

ioan
8th September 2008, 09:16
Great post! :up:

It's always been like this and now it's even worse because of the Hamilton fanatics who started watching F1 last season after the British press proclaimed Hamilton to be "the best thing since sliced bread" (which isn't very tasty in itself either), the next Senna, the next Schumacher and so on!

SivoxII
8th September 2008, 09:54
Mixed opinions on this thread, but generally a lot of accurate assessments in the above post.

Sport will always draw in fanatics, with aggression and general tension in most serious fans. It's no different from Football in that respect, although it's arguable that F1 fans are "more hi-tec" in their appreciation for the sport.

Another factor is, Formula One has become far more "glossy" in recent years, where it now attracts a wider audience than it ever did in the 80's/90's, which creates the celebrity status in how people view the drivers/teams.

In my opinion, the 90's was the best F1 era, nowadays, it's almost too predictable, a little cheezy on lead up to races. The only positive change lately being, giving more control pack to the drivers!!!

So, remove all the sparkle, frills and jazzy lead-up coverage and let's get back to some serious, but enjoyable racing.

Valve Bounce
8th September 2008, 10:01
Yeah!! the Bulldogs were getting such a beating last friday that the RSPCA turned up.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=67184

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=67277

Bagwan
8th September 2008, 14:12
I stopped bothering to read the posts on this forum a few months back because I got tired of reading the self-proclaimed experts passing judgments and posing conspiracy theories that suit their own causes. After today's race, I couldn't resist having another look.

Sure enough, the conspiracy theorists and the "I'll never watch another race" whiners are still out in force.

The thing is that some have forgotten that F1 is JUST a sport. It's not life or death. Is there any other sport where a controversial or questionable call has not been made? Name me one and I will watch it forever!

Come on people - the sun will still come up in the morning whether the call was right or wrong! If your favorite doesn't win this year, perhaps next year will be the year. You still have your family, you'll still go to your job in the morning, you'll still have food on the table (unless you bet this month's paycheck on the wrong team!)

I enjoy F1 and a few other form of racing. They're not perfect. My team doesn't always win. Sometimes they get bad calls and sometimes the others do.

I guess the unique thing about F1 is that most of the top teams in the past have either come from the UK or from Italy (i.e. Ferrari.) This has created a huge rift in the F1 fans that if one side is the beneficiary of a questionable call, it must be a "conspiracy." It doesn't even matter which side you are on, the other is absolute evil as far as you are concerned.

I would suggest that some of us might be taking things a bit too seriously when it ruins our moods and we become hostile to our family members because another car manufacturer or driver was declared the winner in a stupid motor race! Ask your husband/wife/parent/ etc. if they are annoyed at your mood swings depending on who wins a race. If it is affecting your life, it has stopped being a form of entertainment and begun taking over your thought process - Not a healthy thing!

The thing is , though , that it is either sport , or life and death .

Humans are all about competition .
Sport , all about competition , is what keeps us from killing each other .

Certainly , we all have our passions , and the web has enabled all of us to discuss/debate/fight about the issues involved in this one to a far greater degree than ever before .

Since we all saw other kids , or ourselves serving "time-outs" in the corner , in the early years of our schooling , it's easy to understand that these kids grow up and learn to use computers .

I've seen this place go through many periods where circumstances like this have the place in complete turmoil , only to return to a calm relaxed state days later .
To return now , during a period of this turmoil , and to expect utter calm is , with all due respect , a bit irrational , in my opinion .

Expect humans to have passionate opinions . This as typical of all sport , not just F1 .

jerrybruce
8th September 2008, 15:36
I agree that some posters do tend to take things far too seriously at times.

However, consider this--F1 has long ago given up its status as a sport. It is now a business. A business that involves the exchange of millions of dollars, perhaps billions by the time all ancillary suppliers, etc. are taken into account.

In this context, imagine the impact should a disgruntled McLaren decide that enough is enough and withdraw from competition. Serious? I would think so. What would the total economic impact be should this happen? Would other teams join in?

Returning to the fans, in light of the extremely high cost to the average person to attend F1 races, aren't they entitled to get their money's worth? Shouldn't this include the highest level of competency in officiating? If it is indeed supposed to be the pinnacle of motor racing, shouldn't the officiating be required to perform at a higher level?

If the answer is "no", then I submit that F1 should start labeling its events as "sports entertainment" as does World Wrestling Entertainment. At least the WWE is open about its scripted results. Perhaps then the posters here would discuss the Mosley after hours escapades, the stripping of race wins, etc. in the context of poor scripting and non-imaginative screen writing. The posts would then be much less serious don't you think?

Knock-on
8th September 2008, 16:00
It's not life or death. Few things are yet we can be passionate about them.

This is a sport that I follow and invest a lot of time in because I enjoy it. However, that enjoyment is greatly diminished by the governing bodies actions.

If I wanted to watch a rigged sport, I would watch WWF wrewteling, boxing or Horse racing.

I don't. i want to watch Motorsport so believe I have every right to be totally pi$$ed off when there is blatent cheating and champion fixing.

wedge
8th September 2008, 16:06

Isn't that why such forums exist? For like-minded souls to debate endlessly?

wmcot, you have managed successfully to look at yourself in the mirror, whilst the rest of us are find nothing wrong with sitting infront of the computer for hours and hours :p

wmcot
8th September 2008, 20:31
The thing is , though , that it is either sport , or life and death .

Humans are all about competition .
Sport , all about competition , is what keeps us from killing each other .

Certainly , we all have our passions , and the web has enabled all of us to discuss/debate/fight about the issues involved in this one to a far greater degree than ever before .

Since we all saw other kids , or ourselves serving "time-outs" in the corner , in the early years of our schooling , it's easy to understand that these kids grow up and learn to use computers .

I've seen this place go through many periods where circumstances like this have the place in complete turmoil , only to return to a calm relaxed state days later .
To return now , during a period of this turmoil , and to expect utter calm is , with all due respect , a bit irrational , in my opinion .

Expect humans to have passionate opinions . This as typical of all sport , not just F1 .

I agree to a certain extent, but then it's healthy to step back and look at the rest of life. I'm pretty passionate myself and I have found myself getting "sucked in" to heated debates and arguments. After a bit, I'll look at myself and realize how stupid it is for me to carry around the anger into the rest of my life.

As far as F1 is concerned, there will always be controversial decisions as long as we have humans involved. The only way to participate in F1 without the human part entering in is play it on a PS2 or XBox (or similar.) Controversy has always been in sport. One only has to examine the fact that MS was stripped of his year's points in Jerez 1997 while Senna was awarded the WDC for similar actions in 1990 - not exactly consistent, but that's because there are humans involved.

I do prefer to watch ALMS to F1. I like the way that actions are penalized (or not) within a matter of seconds or minutes. The decisions may be controversial at times in ALMS, but they are consistent. I believe that is because there is one person making the decisions and that is the same person at all the races.

jens
8th September 2008, 22:31
As far as F1 is concerned, there will always be controversial decisions as long as we have humans involved. The only way to participate in F1 without the human part entering in is play it on a PS2 or XBox (or similar.)

Well, F1 games create even more controversy. It's easy to blame a computer-controlled rival car, if an accident occurs. :p :

tinchote
9th September 2008, 01:07
It's not life or death. Few things are yet we can be passionate about them.

This is a sport that I follow and invest a lot of time in because I enjoy it. However, that enjoyment is greatly diminished by the governing bodies actions.

If I wanted to watch a rigged sport, I would watch WWF wrewteling, boxing or Horse racing.

I don't. i want to watch Motorsport so believe I have every right to be totally pi$$ed off when there is blatent cheating and champion fixing.

You are so right. I assume how incensed you were when Lewis was craned last year, then ;) :D

Jag_Warrior
9th September 2008, 02:01

While I agree that ANYTHING that negatively affects your interaction with your family is not healthy (including job or career), I'm not sure how many people are doing anything other than venting their emotions HERE. It has been found in various studies that domestic violence does rise immediately after big sporting events (not just F1, but also soccer, baseball and American football). There was a case a couple of years ago where a NASCAR fan shot his wife when she (mistakenly?) cheered for a driver that her husband hated. Yeah, I'd say that's taking it too far. :dozey:

But in the same way that I don't think it's healthy to take sports (or work) too seriously, I also don't think it's healthy to take words on a message board too seriously (not that you are doing that... I'm just saying). I live in the States. The reason that I've been on this board for over 8 years is the same reason that I've followed F1 for 35+: even at its worst, I find it interesting, if not entertaining. Here, there are posters from all over the world. Whether I agree or disagree with various people here, I at least can get viewpoints from people who I would otherwise never meet or have any interaction with.

So, just as I enjoyed sharing a passion for F1 and Ayrton Senna with my ex-fiance (F1 kept us together for at least a year longer than we should have been together), I enjoy experiencing the passion that drives people here to either speak with data or just emotion (maybe lacking data or even basic logic). I enjoy the people who bleed Ferrari red, like Ioan, as much as people who are more objective and thoughtful... or maybe don't even have a favorite team or driver. And best of all, unlike a racing board I was on about 10 years ago, no one here has yet threatened to come to my house and shoot me. :eek:

Until there is gunfire, it's all in fun, or at least that's how I see it. Course, there's always tomorrow. :)

gloomyDAY
9th September 2008, 02:15
I'm ready to move on...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/t0rqueless/d08bel1718.jpg

Daniel
9th September 2008, 11:48
You are so right. I assume how incensed you were when Lewis was craned last year, then ;) :D

If there is one thing which clearly shows the FIA's complete bias towards Lewis Hamilton it is the very incident you're talking about *snigger*

Knock-on
9th September 2008, 14:36
If there is one thing which clearly shows the FIA's complete bias towards Lewis Hamilton it is the very incident you're talking about *snigger*

Yes, you have posted this in a couple of threads.

I was mistakenly under the impression that it was eventually found to be illegal but I may be wrong.

I think the rule was tightened up afterwards but this is what Richard Woods of the FIA had to say on the subject.

"We are extremely happy with what happened. He was in a dangerous spot - he kept his engine running and the quickest and easiest way, under the circumstances, to get him and the car out of the way was to get him back on the track and get him going again and, as far as we are concerned, that was fine."

"Marshalls can overrule the driver but, in this case, it is our understanding that there wasn't a dispute between the marshalls and Lewis. It seems clear that the quickest way for him to be moved out of harm's way, shall we say, was to do exactly what they did. That's what I've got from race control." Woods added that there had been no report of complaint to Charlie Whiting, the race director, from the marshalls about Lewis.

It seems that not even the FIA could justify penalising him on this occassion :D

Daniel
9th September 2008, 14:51
Yes, you have posted this in a couple of threads.

I was mistakenly under the impression that it was eventually found to be illegal but I may be wrong.

I think the rule was tightened up afterwards but this is what Richard Woods of the FIA had to say on the subject.

It seems that not even the FIA could justify penalising him on this occassion :D

I was being sarcastic :) As you may have seen in many threads I've said that I see no evidence of bias, just bad decisions.

With that incident no real harm was done as Lewis didn't score points so it's neither here nor there.

Knock-on
9th September 2008, 14:56
I was being sarcastic :) As you may have seen in many threads I've said that I see no evidence of bias, just bad decisions.

With that incident no real harm was done as Lewis didn't score points so it's neither here nor there.

And there was me thinking you claimed he should have been black flagged :confused:

Funny how you can remember this incident clearly but not the one where Schumacher several times cut corners to stay ahead of PdlR. ;)

Still, it's not the end of the world :D

Daniel
9th September 2008, 14:59
And there was me thinking you claimed he should have been black flagged :confused:

Funny how you can remember this incident clearly but not the one where Schumacher several times cut corners to stay ahead of PdlR. ;)

Still, it's not the end of the world :D

Perhaps because prior to last year I never really watched F1 with any regularity. Sometimes I could watch a few races in a row and sometimes I only saw 1 or 2 races a year. If you want to PM Caroline and ask her about my F1 watching habits feel free to :p

Knock-on
9th September 2008, 15:10
Perhaps because prior to last year I never really watched F1 with any regularity. Sometimes I could watch a few races in a row and sometimes I only saw 1 or 2 races a year. If you want to PM Caroline and ask her about my F1 watching habits feel free to :p

Not knowing the history of F1 and the Ferrari / FIA relationship would explain why you cannot see the pattern of bias but I suggest you really do consider some of the considerable knowledge that people here like Micky have.

This "one rule for us and one rule for them" has been going on for years.

Daniel
9th September 2008, 15:14
Not knowing the history of F1 and the Ferrari / FIA relationship would explain why you cannot see the pattern of bias but I suggest you really do consider some of the considerable knowledge that people here like Micky have.

I didn't say I only started to watch F1 last year. Just that I only started watching it religiously since last year.

I know very well the whole FIArrari story that people go on about but just like others I see no reason to believe it as it goes both ways at times :)

Knock-on
9th September 2008, 16:00
I didn't say I only started to watch F1 last year. Just that I only started watching it religiously since last year.

I know very well the whole FIArrari story that people go on about but just like others I see no reason to believe it as it goes both ways at times :)

Even when Max confirms that Ferrari are the most important team in F1 and his relationship with Luca is "very personal" whereas with Ron it isn't?

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/f1/news/156392-0/mosley_ferrari_most_important_team_in_f1.html

Mind you, the thought of a "very personal" relationship with Max makes me shudder!!

9th September 2008, 18:13

So why did it take 21 years for a Ferrari driver to win the championship?

Please explain that, because I'd love to know how your theory holds up to that fact?

9th September 2008, 18:42
Even when Max confirms that Ferrari are the most important team in F1 and his relationship with Luca is "very personal" whereas with Ron it isn't?

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/f1/news/156392-0/mosley_ferrari_most_important_team_in_f1.html

That's as much Ron Dennis's fault as anybody elses.

Besides which, not many people have ever had a 'personal relationship' with Ron.

Niki Lauda - "Ron wasn't the type that attracted me as a friend and, irrespective of how much money he was paying, that wasn't going to change"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/aug/07/motorsports.sport

Niki Lauda - "Ron Dennis congratulates me and says how pleased he is. I don't believe him for a minute"

http://www.forix.com/8w/lauda.html

Juan Pablo Montoya - "With Ron, you have a nice dinner with him one evening and then when you say 'hi' the next day, he is a totally different person"

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/30072008/58/hungarian-gp-montoya-blasts-robotic-f1.html

Jacques Villeneuve - "I want to say one thing to you - F*** you"

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4156/is_20021208/ai_n12580262

David Coulthard - "The door opened and Ron walked in. I stood up to shake his hand and Ron ignored me. Instead he strode over to sit next to Mika and said, 'What's the plan (for the race), guys?' We all listened to Mika's plans and then Ron said, 'OK, what are they doing?. Here was my team principal talking about me as if I was a rival team. 'They' is not a word you use in a team situation, surely? At that exact moment, I think the naivety, the innocence of my youth, shattered around me"

http://www.duemotori.com/news/f1/19626_Ron_Dennis_favours_one_driver_says_David_Cou lthard.php

pettersolberg29
9th September 2008, 19:01
Thing is, I read your post and agree with everything.

However, I then realised that I've been 'on a high' so far this week due to Heidfeld's podium, was in a depressing mood as Petter failed in the WRC in Spring, and still feel good over Fulham's ridiclous escape from relegation last season.

So to me, sport is as, if not the most impotant thing in my life. Sad I know, but true...

gloomyDAY
9th September 2008, 19:24
Thing is, I read your post and agree with everything.

However, I then realised that I've been 'on a high' so far this week due to Heidfeld's podium, was in a depressing mood as Petter failed in the WRC in Spring, and still feel good over Fulham's ridiclous escape from relegation last season.

So to me, sport is as, if not the most impotant thing in my life. Sad I know, but true...Seriously, you have problems!
I feel bad for your girlfriend. Do you even have a girlfriend?

Here's the gist. Heidfeld's career is in the closing chapters and Petter will never achieve anything near 1st place (unless the leaders all fall off pace in a sudden manner) with that pig of a Subaru.

There's more to life than cars. :eek:

Knock-on
9th September 2008, 20:50
That's as much Ron Dennis's fault as anybody elses.

Besides which, not many people have ever had a 'personal relationship' with Ron.

Niki Lauda - "Ron wasn't the type that attracted me as a friend and, irrespective of how much money he was paying, that wasn't going to change"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/aug/07/motorsports.sport

Niki Lauda - "Ron Dennis congratulates me and says how pleased he is. I don't believe him for a minute"

http://www.forix.com/8w/lauda.html

Juan Pablo Montoya - "With Ron, you have a nice dinner with him one evening and then when you say 'hi' the next day, he is a totally different person"

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/30072008/58/hungarian-gp-montoya-blasts-robotic-f1.html

Jacques Villeneuve - "I want to say one thing to you - F*** you"

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4156/is_20021208/ai_n12580262

David Coulthard - "The door opened and Ron walked in. I stood up to shake his hand and Ron ignored me. Instead he strode over to sit next to Mika and said, 'What's the plan (for the race), guys?' We all listened to Mika's plans and then Ron said, 'OK, what are they doing?. Here was my team principal talking about me as if I was a rival team. 'They' is not a word you use in a team situation, surely? At that exact moment, I think the naivety, the innocence of my youth, shattered around me"

http://www.duemotori.com/news/f1/19626_Ron_Dennis_favours_one_driver_says_David_Cou lthard.php

So, you don't see that it wrong for the president of the FIA to admit that Ferrari are the most important tem in F1 and his relationship with Luca is very personal.

I suppose it's OK if you dont want impartiality.

Honestly Tamb, you cannot defent admitted bias, can you?

Please say you wont.

Daniel
9th September 2008, 22:04
Seriously, you have problems!

Here's the gist. Heidfeld's career is in the closing chapters and Petter will never achieve anything near 1st place (unless the leaders all fall off pace in a sudden manner) with that pig of a Subaru.

Definitely :up:

I know it might sound like I give a crap about this but at the end of the day I really don't care if the penalty gets overturned or not. Makes no difference to my life.

ioan
9th September 2008, 22:23
So, you don't see that it wrong for the president of the FIA to admit that Ferrari are the most important tem in F1 ...

Well, he was stating the truth. Is that a crime? :rolleyes:

ioan
9th September 2008, 22:25
Definitely :up:

I know it might sound like I give a crap about this but at the end of the day I really don't care if the penalty gets overturned or not. Makes no difference to my life.

:up:

stevie_gerrard
9th September 2008, 22:30

Quite frankly, i totally agree with you. This whole incident wont matter anyway no matter what the final result is because hamiltons gonna win the title anyway ;)

Whyzars
9th September 2008, 23:48
Yeah!! the Bulldogs were getting such a beating last friday that the RSPCA turned up.

ROTFLMAO...

:)

wmcot
10th September 2008, 01:10
There was a case a couple of years ago where a NASCAR fan shot his wife when she (mistakenly?) cheered for a driver that her husband hated. Yeah, I'd say that's taking it too far. :dozey:

Yeah, he should have shot the driver and done the world a favor! ;)

Jag_Warrior
10th September 2008, 01:15
Yeah, he should have shot the driver and done the world a favor! ;)

See what I mean? That's why I still come here. You can't get that sort of dark humor just anywhere. :s mokin:

wmcot
10th September 2008, 01:15
So, you don't see that it wrong for the president of the FIA to admit that Ferrari are the most important tem in F1

Actually, I can't think of another team in F1 that the common man (non-F1 watcher) on the street would recognize. It's the name brand that sells and selling is really what F1 is all about (sad, but true!)

wmcot
10th September 2008, 01:18
See what I mean? That's why I still come here. You can't get that sort of dark humor just anywhere. :s mokin:

I agree! It's a lot more fun to be a smart a$$ in posts than to spend time beating the same argument to death! :)

jas123f1
10th September 2008, 10:17
Right - we shouldn't take F1 too seriously – leave it to soccer. :)

janneppi
10th September 2008, 13:15
I agree! It's a lot more fun to be a smart a$$ in posts than to spend time beating the same argument to death! :)
but that would just make the forum a more pleasant place to be , we can't have that now can we. :p :
Especially when you can, at the same time bring all the months, or even years old arguments and personal grievances back to the discussion driving away everyone else who aren't even remotely interested seeing the same old crap posted every damn day, .

Knock-on
10th September 2008, 13:18
but that would just make the forum a more pleasant place to be , we can't have that now can we. :p :
Especially when you can, at the same time bring all the old arguments back to the discussion driving away everyone else who isn't even remotely interested seeing the same old crap posted every damn day, .

You always go on, and on, and on about the same old crap, time and time again ;)

:)

pettersolberg29
10th September 2008, 17:04
Seriously, you have problems!

Yes - my girlfriend is like me in regards to sport though - who's a lucky boy then!

And yes, there is more to life than cars, but cars cars till great.

jens
10th September 2008, 18:07
The title of this thread seems to be right, because this topic seems to be bringing us to the end of the world with the final conclusion that all the previous world titles have been fixed. :p :

janneppi
10th September 2008, 18:11
The pointless FIA team bickering is moved to another thread, thanxgoodbye.